Author Topic: Need some feedback and tips on using Mod Podge for the terrain...  (Read 1005 times)

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
I have started building terrain, inspired by Knorpelkeks`terrain thread:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,78423.0.html

I was thinking of applying Mod Podge (it's a generic decoupage glue, but it's easier to type Mod Podge) on my terrain kidneys, but I have absolutely no experience with Mod Podge. This is actually my first time creating wargaming terrain, period.

I am currently at the stage where I have cut the rock texture on the sides, and applied sand on the top. Currently drying, before I start with the next stage, which is painting.

But before that, I am thinking if I should applying Mod Podge, to give more rigidity ( :grin:) to the textured foam, before I start painting and drybrushing the hell out of it all.

Should I use Mod Podge, or simply skip it? Any things I should know about using it?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Need some feedback and tips on using Mod Podge for the terrain...
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2023, 17:18:02 »
Dunno what mod podge is. I use white glue thinned down with water to cover the whole thing befpre applying paint on cardboard and the like. Otherwise the carboard/material absorbs the paint like a sponge.

gunner

• Sergeant
  • Todays a good day to die, YOU FIRST
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2023, 08:26:04 »
brown latex paint  works for me and gives you a dirt if all the
 flocking doesn't stick
Long life through fire superiority
IN range  and ON target  M 60 MG

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2023, 10:52:37 »
Mod Podge will help seal up the porous foam prior to painting. It's certainly not a bad thing to do.

David D

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2023, 20:50:51 »
I found Mod Podge too expansive unless you need its clear drying properties. If you are going to paint over it, I use yellow carpenters glue as a very durable sealant.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2023, 17:35:08 »
I found Mod Podge too expansive unless you need its clear drying properties. If you are going to paint over it, I use yellow carpenters glue as a very durable sealant.

I did ask about Mod Podge, as it is a frequently mentioned tool used in terrain building.

However, Mod Podge is not readily available where I live, and I saw comments on the internet that Mod Podge is just a proprietary formula of decoupage glue.

So I used decoupage glue when I was building my terrain, and it's price is very close to the price of wood glue, for the same quantity.