Author Topic: San Diego Battletech  (Read 49838 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: San Diego Alpha Strike Association
« Reply #60 on: 02 December 2018, 18:14:43 »
Good afternoon gentlemen.  My wife's surgery went down on Thursday and everything came out great.  Doc said it couldn't have gone any better.  We were able to come home on the same day.  She's recovering nicely now.  Still sore and tender of course, but she should start feeling normal again in about a month here.

On that note, I find myself off for the next week with more free time than I expected.  Looking past our next game, what would you guys be up for?  Another mini-campaign, or something a little longer?  I could start putting together the skeleton of something this week and get a jump on it.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

JamesPryde

• Corporal
  • Star Captain James Pryde
« Reply #61 on: 04 December 2018, 00:55:22 »
Outstanding!!! Very happy for your wife's good surgery! I'm down for any campaign...longer the better. My wife and I will be in Hawaii from the 29th till 10th going home for the holidays. Still working on getting my wife to play as well. Again glad your wife is doing well!

Good afternoon gentlemen.  My wife's surgery went down on Thursday and everything came out great.  Doc said it couldn't have gone any better.  We were able to come home on the same day.  She's recovering nicely now.  Still sore and tender of course, but she should start feeling normal again in about a month here.

On that note, I find myself off for the next week with more free time than I expected.  Looking past our next game, what would you guys be up for?  Another mini-campaign, or something a little longer?  I could start putting together the skeleton of something this week and get a jump on it.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Major "Jumpin'" Jack Damien
Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #62 on: 06 December 2018, 17:05:54 »
I'm glad everything is going well!

A campaign of some kind could be fun after the turn of the year.
"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Lyran way. Which is to say:  The wrong way using Assault 'Mechs.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #63 on: 06 December 2018, 19:26:18 »
A campaign of some kind could be fun after the turn of the year.
Cool, and yes, I wouldn't want to start anything until after the New Year as well.  I've got something in mind for that would take place during the Jihad.  I'll have a proposal put together when we meet up on the 15th.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #64 on: 12 December 2018, 23:34:41 »
Howdy all.  Just checking in before Saturday.  Everyone OK with the usual 12:30 start?  If not speak up and we can adjust it.  Looking forward to it! :)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #65 on: 15 December 2018, 17:34:43 »
Hey guys, if you can't make it, just let me know.  I don't know that we could have gotten the game in because the place was packed.  But no one showing up was kind of bummer. :(

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #66 on: 15 December 2018, 21:48:07 »
Crap, was that today?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #67 on: 16 December 2018, 15:19:58 »
Sooo SORRY!!!! Got into a argument with my wife and forgot about everything! I feel terrible! Hope your wife is still doing great. Next time I'm setting up multiple reminders alarms...Again sorry!!!

Hey guys, if you can't make it, just let me know.  I don't know that we could have gotten the game in because the place was packed.  But no one showing up was kind of bummer. :(
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #68 on: 16 December 2018, 20:09:28 »
Sorry, I out and out forgot with finals. My bad man.

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Lyran way. Which is to say:  The wrong way using Assault 'Mechs.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #69 on: 17 December 2018, 21:56:55 »
No worries gentlemen.  I'll send more reminders next time. ;)  For the next date, I'd start looking at the second or third weekend in January.  Holidays are here and I'm sure everyone is booked from here on out (I am.)

Something to mull on, what would you guys like to see from an Alpha Strike campaign?  What's long enough, but not too long?  What era would you prefer?  How difficult would you like the scenarios?  I would love all your thoughts on this.  I've run D&D campaigns back in the day, but never a BattleTech campaign (of any type).  Thanks guys!

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #70 on: 31 December 2018, 20:44:23 »
I'll be alright for the second week of January, any day of the week barring that Tuesday.

I am the type to play a single campaign for literally years. So I can go with the flow, personally. lol, I enjoy a challenge, but I don't like being "GMs Wrathed" into oblivion because the campaign is swinging in the players' favor. "Your reinforcements miss-jumped, too bad..." has happened once or twice in the same game year.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #71 on: 31 December 2018, 22:34:44 »
I'll be alright for the second week of January, any day of the week barring that Tuesday.
Work schedule went official today.  I'm off every Friday and Saturday for the next five weeks. 

Few things to consider.  Game Empire was considerably busier on Saturday vs Sunday.  I have no idea what they look like on Fridays.  I'm OK with starting earlier on Saturdays if everyone else is.  I would rather avoid playing during the day on Fridays as traffic just plain sucks around here anymore on weekdays.  Don't suppose if anyone knows if you can reserve tables with GE?  I'm also OK with hosting games up here at Pair of Dice or my humble abode, but I know that is a long drive for everyone else.

I am the type to play a single campaign for literally years. So I can go with the flow, personally. lol, I enjoy a challenge, but I don't like being "GMs Wrathed" into oblivion because the campaign is swinging in the players' favor. "Your reinforcements miss-jumped, too bad..." has happened once or twice in the same game year.

First and foremost, I will never intentionally "GM Wrath" someone.  My vision for an Alpha Strike campaign, for the players, is something that does present a challenge, but can be overcome with planning and good decision making.  However, this is Battletech, so we all have to be prepared for the dice doing some crazy ass BS now and again. :crazy:  And as a first run Alpha Strike campaign, I'm thinking probably something along the lines of planetary conquest or defense.  If all goes well, perhaps then spinning the involved units off into something bigger.

Having player units disappear due to a mis-jump? Twice?!  That's some pretty petty BS is you ask me.  Did the GM get beaten? :beatdown:

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #72 on: 03 January 2019, 10:55:19 »
A Friday would be good for me. As for location, I'm good for pretty much anywhere. I don't think you can reserve tables anymore. I know you could a while ago.

I prefer earlier starts, as a rule.

Haha, no they didn't get a machine-gun beating. However, it was certainly a sour moment. Dice just didn't go their way and got wrecked in a big way-way faster than expected.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 04 January 2019, 22:37:47 »
Fridays I generally don't get out of the office before 6. Sometimes, before 7.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #74 on: 05 January 2019, 12:30:24 »
Well, James doesn't come back until the 10th, so how would Saturday, January 19th sound?  I'm willing to run down early to Game Empire and jump on a table when they open.  Other options could be Sunday evening (I can be there after work, so around 6:30), or Friday during the day.  Their calendar looks pretty busy Friday evenings.

koalabirb

• Sergeant
  • aka Borrado
« Reply #75 on: 08 January 2019, 16:25:53 »
I should be good for the 19th. Sunday is a no-go for me. I've got an event with the wife that evening in Anaheim. Friday is also doable.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
« Reply #76 on: 10 January 2019, 00:07:08 »
I will come down the 19th as long as I don't have duty. Just let me know what time. Come Monday I'll know my duty days once I find out when my first one is.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #77 on: 10 January 2019, 21:55:12 »
Sounds good.  As far as time goes, I'm leaning on the earlier side.  They were super busy at 12:30 when I got there on that last Saturday.  Is everyone cool with an 11:00 start?  I'll get there before that and stake a table claim.

Anyone need a refresh on where we left off?

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #78 on: 15 January 2019, 10:48:29 »
Good morning all.  I haven't heard anything to the contrary, so game time is 11:00 this Saturday (19th) down at Game Empire.  Have a great week till then! :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #79 on: 18 January 2019, 20:12:30 »
Koalabirb confirmed with me, so we'll be at Game Empire for sure tomorrow.  Hope to see the rest of you there. :thumbsup:

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 19 January 2019, 18:05:35 »
Just stopped by, but Alpha Strike seems to go waaaaaay faster then regular Battletech, so you all were long since gone, I'm guessing. :(

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #81 on: 19 January 2019, 22:07:11 »
Just stopped by, but Alpha Strike seems to go waaaaaay faster then regular Battletech, so you all were long since gone, I'm guessing. :(
You would be correct on that point.  All things being equal we would have been done by 2:00 most likely.  But we actually got blown out of there by a Magic release.  Couldn't even set up shop they were so busy.  We tried going up to At Ease games, but that was the same story.  So we actually ended up at my house, but we were still done by 3:30.

Plans for an Alpha Strike campaign are in the works, something at the start of the Jihad, so stay posted.  Sorry we missed you. :-\

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 20 January 2019, 04:04:33 »
You would be correct on that point.  All things being equal we would have been done by 2:00 most likely.  But we actually got blown out of there by a Magic release.  Couldn't even set up shop they were so busy.

Yeah, that was a thing.  They still were at it at 3 PM, along with a couple D&D tables.  It was a total madhouse of people in there.

We tried going up to At Ease games, but that was the same story.  So we actually ended up at my house, but we were still done by 3:30.

Plans for an Alpha Strike campaign are in the works, something at the start of the Jihad, so stay posted.  Sorry we missed you. :-\

Looking forward to hopefully participating in that one. :)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #83 on: 25 January 2019, 00:37:41 »
Looking forward to hopefully participating in that one. :)

Excellent.  There is always room at the table for more players.  The gist of the campaign is mercenary forces hired by the Isle of Skye to go wreck havoc over in the Free Worlds League.  Players are the merc forces.  I'll be running the on planet defenses that consist of local militia conventional armor, a reinforced company from the 1st Marik Militia, and an unknown mercenary group.  As you haven't had the chance to play Alpha Strike yet, you are welcome to partner up with me for the next round and get a feel for it.  We can get you worked in with your own force after that if you like the style of play.

And as for the next meeting, looks I'm free from work all the Saturdays again.  I am playing golf on the 3rd, but other than that I'm free.  I'll be sure to call ahead to the shop this time and make sure there isn't an event planned again. :facepalm:

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 27 January 2019, 18:20:42 »
Has anyone tried LAMs under Alpha Strike rules? I'm suddenly picturing a mercenary unit that operates a company of LAMs off a Quetzalcoutl class JumpShip.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #85 on: 27 January 2019, 21:55:28 »
Not yet.  I would personally like to avoid the aerospace rules if at all possible (they make my head hurt  :bang: ), but I don't know how the air-mech mode would work.  If they operate like VTOLs, then it's not a big deal.  I do like the idea.  Definitely a cool image. 8)  Let me do some research on this one.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 27 January 2019, 23:08:58 »
Not yet.  I would personally like to avoid the aerospace rules if at all possible (they make my head hurt  :bang: ), but I don't know how the air-mech mode would work.  If they operate like VTOLs, then it's not a big deal.  I do like the idea.  Definitely a cool image. 8)  Let me do some research on this one.

WiGE movement rules in AirMech mode, per the AS Unit of the Week: Wasp LAM article:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,48321.0.html

Edit: If WiGE proves to be a bit much to handle, for extra amusement, and depending on point value for the forces, I can run all Shadow Hawk LAMs for now, sticking to BattleMech mode, which means the Bomb ability gets skipped anyway.

How many points are everyone's forces?
« Last Edit: 27 January 2019, 23:13:50 by Giovanni Blasini »

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #87 on: 28 January 2019, 22:53:56 »
WiGE movement rules in AirMech mode, per the AS Unit of the Week: Wasp LAM article:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,48321.0.html

Edit: If WiGE proves to be a bit much to handle, for extra amusement, and depending on point value for the forces, I can run all Shadow Hawk LAMs for now, sticking to BattleMech mode, which means the Bomb ability gets skipped anyway.

How many points are everyone's forces?

WiGE and such won't be a problem.  Just no aerospace for this run (maybe in the future?)

Total PV for the defense is a little over 2500, with unit skills being 2 or 3.  With three players I figure around 900 PV for each will be fine.  koalabirb is out for 8 weeks with training, so he will be coming in when he gets back.  JamesPryde got his forces to me already and he was in just over 900.  Mechs, vehicles, battle armor, and infantry are all allowed. The defense is only Mechs and vehicles.

We will be using the Chaos Campaign system with Standard Alpha Strike rules and special abilities. Year is 3068.  There won't be any way to replace units once the campaign starts, other than salvage, so plan accordingly.  Starting Warchest points is 1000, plus 3000 support points for each player.  The campaign will start with the players' forces on planet and making their first moves away from landing zone.

How does February 16th sound?  I can also do the 9th or the 23rd if needed.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #88 on: 02 February 2019, 23:51:16 »
February 16th is looking like the likely candidate.  I can also do the evening of the 17th if need be.  It would be after work, but I can be to the shop by 6:30 if not sooner.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 03 February 2019, 20:24:39 »
2/16 works for me