Author Topic: Stacking Traits for Taxes  (Read 1134 times)

Warsmith

• Recruit
Stacking Traits for Taxes
« on: 21 May 2023, 21:34:25 »
Just wanted to get some opinions on if I'm doing this math right. We just made characters for A Time of War and are starting a mercenary company. I have player that put six ranks into Titles and is a Baron, and also took two ranks of Property. Under the baron description it mentions Property +4 and Extra Income +4. That would give him a Property 6 netting a barony with an average annual personal income of 200k C-bills. That on top of his now Extra Income 5 or 1500 a month works out to 218,000 C-bills per year. Less 30% for taxes. 10,000 a month in upkeep for his mansion+ 2000 a month in utilities and services for the grounds leaves 8,600 Net annual, or about 716.66 C-bills a month free to spend as he pleases. Am I doing that math right or am I screwing that player too hard?

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
Re: Stacking Traits for Taxes
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2023, 01:01:09 »
Are you getting the Extra Income and Property from the description of a baron on pg 352? Those are not inherent to the the Title Trait. Those are typical Traits an NPC might have or that a player may spend points to invest in their PC. The PC in question, if they have only spent points for a title and a fief, only has Property 2 and no extra income, though they do get +3 to their annual administration roll due to their 6 points of Title. This lack of inherent land and money in a Title advantage are an intentional and a long-standing mechanic in the Mechwarrior RPG line.

EDIT: Correction, they get a +2 to their administration roll due to 6 points of Title.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2023, 01:16:42 by paladin2019 »
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Warsmith

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2023, 16:35:40 »
That makes sense, and is much simpler. I read that blurb on 352 about "potential Traits for NPCs or players" as an optional inclusion if you wanted to do the leg work. Thank you.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2023, 18:41:01 »
Paladin2019 has the right of it.  AToW page 126 makes it a little more explicit:
Titles do not always confer power in the Inner Sphere; many, in fact, may be honorary, with no land grants attached. However,
the Title Trait is used to establish the limit of how much land the character might rule over, as described under the rules for the Property Trait (see p. 123).

When you go to page 123, you see some of the of the other limitations, such as requiring one level of Wealth for up to five levels of Property, and requiring a commensurate Title above that.