Author Topic: My thoughts on the latest issue of Shrapnel  (Read 63853 times)

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Re: My thoughts on the latest issue of Shrapnel
« Reply #60 on: 29 March 2021, 10:24:52 »
From a writer's perspective, it is awesome, because I can shine a light on things that would be difficult to showcase otherwise. Where would I have put the two Assassination Protocol articles otherwise? Or the Christmas scenario from Shrapnel 3?
Agreed, there's neat small things we can do to bring more to the Universe but the question was always where?
Thankfully this exists. We're able to get Battlecorps sized stories, strange one offs, some sly references, maybe RPG items here and there, and a Planet write up that might not be big enough for TTS, but just big enough to supplement it.

I'm quite happy in turning a Feddie world into a Mean Girls cesspool of politicking and corporations low level warfare.  >:D
« Last Edit: 29 March 2021, 10:44:57 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 29 March 2021, 13:51:58 »
I'm quite happy in turning a Feddie world into a Mean Girls cesspool of politicking and corporations low level warfare.  >:D

wait, which one was this? :-)

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 30 March 2021, 19:26:40 »
In that case, sorry for digging up old wounds.

Not your fault but as soon as i started reading it.  I know right away what the main issue was going to be.  It was more than a decade ago so not fresh.  Just a reminder of the incident. 

on a happier note, I did get a certain delight on seeing the super urbies.. Not sure why it got its on name instead of just being a plain upgrade.  I guess it the differences between an Atlas and Atlas II.  they both look sort of the same but its in the name.  TrashCans for the win
« Last Edit: 30 March 2021, 19:29:58 by Marveryn »

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 30 May 2021, 15:08:59 »
So, I was talking to Phil Lee about a story and he mentioned "Daybreak on Shining Mountain" and I was all "what'chu talkin' bout, willis?"  As it turns out, I -bought- Shrapnel #2, and THOUGHT I'd read it, but somehow (I think it came out around the holidays?) i didn't and shelved it unread.
Well I fixed that oversight this weekend!!  And CRIMENY, why aren't we talking about this one MORE? :-)  and since this thread is the latest issue of shrapnel and this one's new to ME, it counts!  ;)

What I like about "Daybreak" is that it brings front and center is two things we don't see enough of in BattleTech: other cultures and "strange new worlds."  I am as guilty as anyone else about staying in my comfort zone when writing, which, for me, is "mil sci-fi."  There's very little "culture" of any type in many of my stories, it's "soldiers doing soldier stuff in a soldier way."
This story brings forth culture at the very heart of it, and more than that, it's not one we see often in ANY types of media!  Top notch stuff!

AND THEN, the author sets it in a WEIRD PLACE.  We -and again, I AM INCLUDING MYSELF HERE! :'( :'( - forget that the Batteletech universe is as wild and wacky as star wars and star trek.  90% of the tech they have, we have, but we forget to USE it.  The author DIDN'T forget: putting a world under an ICE MOUNTAIN?? -Aquaman voice- Outrageous!!

This was, far and away, not only a great BattleTech Story, but great science fiction, and I hope TPTB submit it far and wide to other anthologies, because I'd stack that up as one of the best of 2020's Sci-fi, PERIOD.  I -HAD- a story in Shrapnel 1 and I'd still tell TPTB "send in Daybreak."  It's that good. :-)

And what's CRAZY is, the rest of the stories in Shrapnel 2 are SOOO GOOD!  They're A's and B's, only diminished because they share the spotlight with an A-double-plus!  :-)

"Scavenger's Blood" gives us a look at a little-remembered moment in Jaguar and Raven history, written excellently.  "Saber Bare" is a single aerospace fighter pilot, something often overlooked in our mech-heavy universe.  "Devil take the Hindmost" is one of the rare "spooky" stories we get occasionally, and "Road Ahead" shows compassion in the strangest way.

Oh, and because I'm just babbaling at this point, I'll just say, all the OTHER stuff is good, too!

Overall, this was an EXCELLENT collection, well worth the scoop-up if you don't have it, and I'm super stoked again for Shrapnel 5!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #64 on: 30 May 2021, 15:22:08 »
Sorry to say I apply the same rule to Shrapnel that I applied to BattleTechnology in its heyday: If there are useful rules in it (RPG first priority), then I'll buy it.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 30 May 2021, 16:11:33 »
Sorry to say I apply the same rule to Shrapnel that I applied to BattleTechnology in its heyday: If there are useful rules in it (RPG first priority), then I'll buy it.

Most of them (all?) have some RPG stuff, adventure hooks, and a PDF Mech.  Craig Reed wrote a whole article about sniper rifles and their stats in Shrap #1, for example. Well worth it, IMHO.  :)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #66 on: 30 May 2021, 16:25:39 »
Most of them (all?) have some RPG stuff, adventure hooks, and a PDF Mech.  Craig Reed wrote a whole article about sniper rifles and their stats in Shrap #1, for example. Well worth it, IMHO.  :)

I also wrote one on pistols (Shrapnel #3) and there's be another weapons column in Shrapnel #5... ;)

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #67 on: 30 May 2021, 17:24:08 »
Glad to hear it, and I'll have to pick #3 and #5 up when I have free cash again.  Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #68 on: 01 June 2021, 07:21:56 »
If you get the second issue, let me know if the planetary write up helped with any RPG desires.
While not hard RPG rules, there was enough description of the history to give any GM a playground for roleplaying. So at the very least you have minor house names to work with and scheme.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #69 on: 01 June 2021, 07:23:50 »
If you get the second issue, let me know if the planetary write up helped with any RPG desires.
While not hard RPG rules, there was enough description of the history to give any GM a playground for roleplaying. So at the very least you have minor house names to work with and scheme.

Third one had Christmas themed scenarios to have fun with ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #70 on: 01 June 2021, 07:42:05 »
Third one had Christmas themed scenarios to have fun with ;)
Two scenarios in that issue. Like a little Christmas present for us readers.  :)
Though I'll say when I read the Santa one, I looked back at my Star League Day one and thought 'Wow I am just so basic on mine.' Because that one looked way more interesting.  ;D

I have the desire to throw in all the Tac Ops "power ups" from that April Fool's day post of old just to see how bizarre it could get.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2021, 07:47:00 by Atlas3060 »

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #71 on: 01 June 2021, 12:48:04 »
Two scenarios in that issue. Like a little Christmas present for us readers.  :)
Though I'll say when I read the Santa one, I looked back at my Star League Day one and thought 'Wow I am just so basic on mine.' Because that one looked way more interesting.  ;D

Thank you :)
I spent 15 years or so working on that one.

I have the desire to throw in all the Tac Ops "power ups" from that April Fool's day post of old just to see how bizarre it could get.

Please do and tell me how it goes. That sounds like a really fun idea :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: 18 June 2021, 22:12:14 »
aaaannnnd we're back!

Does anyone know who the old man and the ghost are in "Ghost"?  I think the Ghost becomes the hotel doorman, right?  or was the old man the doorman and this is a NEW Ghost Paladin?

And is the "old man" someone we know from the classic era?  Like, should I dig into whatever happened to ole Tormano Liao? ;-) hahaha

Haven't gotten too far in tonight - I also have to pull 3 off the shelf and remind myself about the previous "Fox" fiction before reading "Fox Patrol," so I'll read more in the AM.  :)

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 19 June 2021, 18:18:05 »
aaaannnnd we're back!

Does anyone know who the old man and the ghost are in "Ghost"?  I think the Ghost becomes the hotel doorman, right?  or was the old man the doorman and this is a NEW Ghost Paladin?

And is the "old man" someone we know from the classic era?  Like, should I dig into whatever happened to ole Tormano Liao? ;-) hahaha

Haven't gotten too far in tonight - I also have to pull 3 off the shelf and remind myself about the previous "Fox" fiction before reading "Fox Patrol," so I'll read more in the AM.  :)

Fox Patrol are awesome!!!!
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

cobaltcoil

• Sergeant
  • Cry Havoc and Let Loose the Wolves/Coyotes of War
« Reply #74 on: 19 June 2021, 18:27:58 »
Yes, It sounds like at the end the Ghost becomes the Concierge known to the Public as Emil, privately known as the Ghost Paladin...known only to the Exarchs as he meets privately with them like the scene with the newly elected Exarch Jonah Levin in one of the Dark Age novels.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #75 on: 19 June 2021, 18:49:21 »
Yes, It sounds like at the end the Ghost becomes the Concierge known to the Public as Emil, privately known as the Ghost Paladin...known only to the Exarchs as he meets privately with them like the scene with the newly elected Exarch Jonah Levin in one of the Dark Age novels.

That's what I'm thinking, so I'm wondering who the old man was?  maybe he's noone we're suppossed to know, dunno.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #76 on: 20 June 2021, 00:06:00 »
Am I the only one who thought the most recent issue was the best one yet?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #77 on: 20 June 2021, 09:38:14 »
That's what I'm thinking, so I'm wondering who the old man was?  maybe he's noone we're suppossed to know, dunno.

My guess is he was Marcell Webb, CO of the Star Seeds and spook extraordinaire. I would have gone with Tempest Stryker but he was pretty publicly killed by the Opacus Venatori in 3081. (Or was he?)

But he could easily be any random intel type that threw in with Stone.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 20 June 2021, 23:25:42 »
Fox Patrol are awesome!!!!

I worry for them.  they are growing but she seeking to leave a place that the most she going to face is beating up mech with half train pilots.  She seeking glory but she lack the training on how to manage her units once they leave her home planet.  I wonder if a major or semi unit may just take her under their wings and show her the ropes what to avoid and at least guide her tactically on what she needs to survive otherwise i think she just going to end up dead once she find her dream.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #79 on: 21 June 2021, 01:24:14 »
My guess is he was Marcell Webb, CO of the Star Seeds and spook extraordinaire. I would have gone with Tempest Stryker but he was pretty publicly killed by the Opacus Venatori in 3081. (Or was he?)

But he could easily be any random intel type that threw in with Stone.

Marcel Webb was only 49 in 3090, when the story takes place.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #80 on: 21 June 2021, 07:37:19 »
(Or was he?)

Oh yeah, he is gone, gone, gone.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #81 on: 22 June 2021, 18:50:06 »
Would love to see folks honest thoughts on my story in there - Piece by Piece - as it's my first published fiction and would really value feedback, honest, brutal, or otherwise. :)
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 22 June 2021, 22:05:48 »
Would love to see folks honest thoughts on my story in there - Piece by Piece - as it's my first published fiction and would really value feedback, honest, brutal, or otherwise. :)

WELL DONE.  So far, I think it's one of the strongest in the issue, and it's your FIRST?  WELL DONE.

very character driven, and it makes you want to know MORE about them, not less.  Strong narrative voice, excellent use of strategy (I like stories where the "bad guys" aren't noticeably stupid and the good guys have to think their way out of problems)

I also like the fact you really drove home the "what will you do for money?" mindset of mercenaries.  Playing Mechwarrior 5 a lot on XBox and the first few missions, MAN, I really felt bad smashing up farms and cities and crap.  Now, it's just part of the job, and you captured that moral sinking perfectly.

Finally, good stories incorporate in as many senses as possible: it's REALLY hard to work "smell" into a battletech story, but you did it in such a gag-inducing yet appropriate way.  The whistling of the damaged cockpit (very common in succession wars stuff) and the smell, that SMELL came through so well in your writing!

WELL DONE, as I said, and looking forward to seeing more from you in later issues!

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #83 on: 23 June 2021, 04:05:12 »
Thanks mate, really appreciate the comments. After writing the TTS for the world, I really wanted to bring it to life, so folks could see how to adventure on the world. I'm glad you liked it. I had some ideas of where they go, but I am involved in a big non-CGL project and probably won't have time to revisit the crew for a long time.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #84 on: 24 June 2021, 16:50:17 »
So…who wants to deliver honest service to the Capellan State as a servitor?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 25 June 2021, 15:28:41 »
That article just ruined the positive press generated by Blood Will Tell.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #86 on: 25 June 2021, 17:55:07 »

Blood Will Tell showed that Danai wanted a different path, but once the replacement administrator arrived, it was by the book - servitorhood for all.  Of course, Danai is the heir apparent, so she’ll most likely eventually get a crack at rewriting that book a few decades down the road.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #87 on: 25 June 2021, 18:59:07 »
..., but once the replacement administrator arrived, it was by the book - servitorhood for all.

Which was eventually addressed. Not all is lost.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 25 June 2021, 22:47:45 »

;D :D ;D

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 26 June 2021, 00:45:49 »
Blood Will Tell showed that Danai wanted a different path, but once the replacement administrator arrived, it was by the book - servitorhood for all.  Of course, Danai is the heir apparent, so she’ll most likely eventually get a crack at rewriting that book a few decades down the road.
Do you actually think that Daoshen is going to live a 'few' decades more?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner