Author Topic: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza  (Read 157738 times)

parable

• Sergeant
Re: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza
« Reply #1050 on: 03 April 2024, 22:23:41 »
Primary phase of ceremonial uniform done.  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84581
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #1051 on: 04 April 2024, 08:47:37 »
Primary phase of ceremonial uniform done.  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84581
Parable brings honor to Clan Nova Cat!

This is outstanding! Love the mandarin collar with the studs and that you've even put the codex on. The vineer pouch turned out really nicely and I think you scored on the sandals!

Are you going to try and do a Galaxy and Rank insignia too? (Old) Alpha is probably the easiest, and Warrior and Point Commander could probably be done without much fuss.

Stoked for your progress!
« Last Edit: 04 April 2024, 08:49:48 by cmerwin »
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1052 on: 04 April 2024, 20:18:32 »
Can any provide me a list of the cats clan homeworld holdings before their abjurment?

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1053 on: 04 April 2024, 21:47:19 »
Can any provide me a list of the cats clan homeworld holdings before their abjurment?
The single best source is probably the poster from the Clan Homeworlds political poster from the Clan Kickstarter. That said, the Cats didn't own 100% of any one world, so there is no "homeworld". The closest equivalent to the Nova Cat "homeworld" is Barcella, which was considered our capital until 3060. Or do you want to know all of the planets where the Nova Cats had territory until our Abjuration?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1054 on: 04 April 2024, 23:57:54 »
How come the Cats didn't have full control of any worlds?  Wasn't that pretty rare among the Clans at the time?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #1055 on: 05 April 2024, 00:05:36 »
The Cats were one of the richer pre-Invasion Clans, up there with the Diamond Sharks and the Jade Falcons. My best guesses are that they either were shrewd about what territories they bid for (to conserve resources, etc.), or their successes made their enemies a bit more angry than they were prepared for and the maps reflected it.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1056 on: 05 April 2024, 04:01:17 »
The Cats were one of the richer pre-Invasion Clans, up there with the Diamond Sharks and the Jade Falcons. My best guesses are that they either were shrewd about what territories they bid for (to conserve resources, etc.), or their successes made their enemies a bit more angry than they were prepared for and the maps reflected it.

Note that part of the reason Clan Nova Cat was a wealthy Clan was that they were the ones to reintroduce futures trading to the early Clans.  I'd posit that Clan Nova Cat was usually of the mind that having exclusive control of any given planet was far less important than economic--and thus military--security.  Resources in the Kerensky Cluster are poor, the habitability is mid at best, so there's a hard limit on how much any Clan can expand in a given time.  You sell resource-rich land to another Clan for a share of the materiel it eventually produces, and both sides come out ahead.
tl;dr: I honestly think Clan Nova Cat had no exclusive worlds because they sold off the parts of worlds they didn't need.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1057 on: 05 April 2024, 04:32:15 »
Not to mention that usually a Clan aquires resources by trialing (aka doing some battle things) and when suddenly someone offers a less lethal but efficient method of getting what one needs you can imagine how other Clans jump on it. After all both sides win: the provider needs less garrison units and the buyer doesn't have to invest Mechs / warriors creating less waste in their touman. The downside though: your warriors might loose their edge
« Last Edit: 05 April 2024, 16:39:10 by Metallgewitter »

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1058 on: 05 April 2024, 04:50:25 »
The downside though: your warriors might loose their edge

Luckily the solution to that problem is going walkabout on a vision quest, during which you toss your most prized possessions into a campfire while starving and dehydrating yourself until you hallucinate REALLY HARD.  The Oathmaster will tell you how this helps you retain your warrior edge.  (The Clans are objectively pretty goofy)

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1059 on: 05 April 2024, 07:31:14 »
How come the Cats didn't have full control of any worlds?  Wasn't that pretty rare among the Clans at the time?
IIRC, not having one Clan have sole ownership of a world was established by ilKhan Kerensky by design. He wanted them to fight each other and be dependent on one another. That said, by 3052, some Clans had full control of planets, notably: Burrock (Albion), Coyote (Tamaron), Fire Mandrill (Shadow), Jade Falcon (Kirin), Star Adder (Sheridan). And in some cases, Huntress, the Clan owned all but a tiny percent of the planet.

As far as Nova Cat holdings go, and it would be interesting to look up what is on these planets, we have:
  • Barcella (55%) - Nova Cat capital
  • Bearclaw (20%)
  • Brim (20%)
  • Circe (20%)
  • Delios (30%)
  • Gatekeeper (40%)
  • Hoard (30%)
  • Lum (40%)
  • Strana Mechty (6% - like every Clan)
The Jade Falcons and Diamond Sharks had a few more planets than the Nova Cats, but in some cases with significantly smaller stakes (Jade Falcons owned 2% of Huntress and 5% of York). The Sharks are by far the largest, but the Nova Cats come second. And, as I think was mentioned, we had a special relationship with the Sharks, our closest ally.

I've also always thought it odd that we own no part of the homeworld of our totem animal, the Nova Cat of Dagda. But maybe it was decided that Dagda wasn't worth holding.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2024, 07:38:10 by cmerwin »

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1060 on: 05 April 2024, 07:42:26 »
I've also always thought it odd that we own no part of the homeworld of our totem animal, the Nova Cat of Dagda. But maybe it was decided that Dagda wasn't worth holding.

The Cats weren't part of taking Dagda during OpKlondike, so it would be harder for them to establish a foothold on it later. And I highly doubt it's because they decided it wasn't worth holding; the Pentagon Worlds were pretty valuable to the Clans. It's also not unusual that a Clan doesn't hold territory from their totem's native world; the Mandrills and Burrocks didn't hold territory on Eden, the Scorpions didn't initially hold territory on Babylon, the Cobras didn't initially hold territory on Arcadia, etc.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2024, 07:46:59 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1061 on: 05 April 2024, 08:10:07 »
The Cats weren't part of taking Dagda during OpKlondike, so it would be harder for them to establish a foothold on it later. And I highly doubt it's because they decided it wasn't worth holding; the Pentagon Worlds were pretty valuable to the Clans. It's also not unusual that a Clan doesn't hold territory from their totem's native world; the Mandrills and Burrocks didn't hold territory on Eden, the Scorpions didn't initially hold territory on Babylon, the Cobras didn't initially hold territory on Arcadia, etc.
Yeah, I had factored in OP Klondike and what I was thinking of in terms of any Clan "holding" parts of Pentagon worlds is that getting and keeping pieces of them is expensive (beyond what you managed to grab as part of Klondike).

Didn't realize the case of the Mandrills and Burrocks, but it makes sense. Thanks!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1062 on: 05 April 2024, 08:17:46 »
IIRC, not having one Clan have sole ownership of a world was established by ilKhan Kerensky by design. He wanted them to fight each other and be dependent on one another. That said, by 3052, some Clans had full control of planets, notably: Burrock (Albion), Coyote (Tamaron), Fire Mandrill (Shadow), Jade Falcon (Kirin), Star Adder (Sheridan). And in some cases, Huntress, the Clan owned all but a tiny percent of the planet.

As far as Nova Cat holdings go, and it would be interesting to look up what is on these planets, we have:
  • Barcella (55%) - Nova Cat capital
  • Bearclaw (20%)
  • Brim (20%)
  • Circe (20%)
  • Delios (30%)
  • Gatekeeper (40%)
  • Hoard (30%)
  • Lum (40%)
  • Strana Mechty (6% - like every Clan)
The Jade Falcons and Diamond Sharks had a few more planets than the Nova Cats, but in some cases with significantly smaller stakes (Jade Falcons owned 2% of Huntress and 5% of York). The Sharks are by far the largest, but the Nova Cats come second. And, as I think was mentioned, we had a special relationship with the Sharks, our closest ally.

Thanks!! The reason I ask is because I assumed that the fire mandrills and blood spirits attacked them during their abjurement but I was unsure of what worlds were logical flashpoints

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1063 on: 05 April 2024, 09:06:40 »
Thanks!! The reason I ask is because I assumed that the fire mandrills and blood spirits attacked them during their abjurement but I was unsure of what worlds were logical flashpoints
Yeah, hard to say. We know the Bearclaw enclave was attacked by Snow Ravens and Hell's Horses, several enclaves were given to the Diamond Sharks, but I don't know of any attacks specifically made by either Fire Mandrills or Blood Spirits on Nova Cat enclaves. You could see ownership by those Clans on Cat worlds post-3060 and that would give you a good idea.

tassa_kay, do you know?
« Last Edit: 05 April 2024, 09:16:59 by cmerwin »

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1064 on: 05 April 2024, 10:39:13 »
Not off-hand, and it's weird, because the FM:CC Mandrill entry specifies them going after former Burrock holdings on Dagda and Jaguar holdings on Atreus (and they also seized Pahn City and its Warhawk-producing industriplex on Huntress), and FM:U doesn't mention anything at all.

It almost seems like an oversight that the Cats' holdings weren't mentioned, especially because they called out the Cats' betrayal in their "Regarding Other Clans" section. Then again, being angry at the Cats doesn't mean the kindraa were able to get their **** together enough to do anything about it.

The Spirits I don't think ever took any Cat holdings. As of 3067, all they held was York, their Strana Mechty enclave, and their old enclave on Arcadia that they retook from the Adders. Any holdings they got on worlds like Barcella were seized long after the Cats were gone, taken during the chaos of the WoR.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2024, 10:46:04 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1065 on: 05 April 2024, 10:47:38 »
100% claims on a planet are a bit of a fools game.  Empty space is just scores on a ledger. It's just territory. The important bits are the major population centers and production facilities. AFAICT there's not that much material beyond the big strokes when it came to who took what during the abjurement. I wouldnt worry about the fine details to much if this is for a story or scenario.

(I also wouldnt say we were allies with Clan Diamond Shark, really. More 'friendly rivals' thanks to our competing merchant castes. But that's probably as close as allies as most Clans get. Post-Abjurement 'we like you enough to not shoot you on sight' goes a long ways, too.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1066 on: 05 April 2024, 10:50:54 »
100% claims on a planet are a bit of a fools game.  Empty space is just scores on a ledger. It's just territory. The important bits are the major population centers and production facilities. AFAICT there's not that much material beyond the big strokes when it came to who took what during the abjurement. I wouldnt worry about the fine details to much if this is for a story or scenario.

It almost seems redundant to have to say this on these forums of all places, but some of us like knowing the details. :laugh:

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1067 on: 05 April 2024, 14:14:12 »
Not off-hand, and it's weird, because the FM:CC Mandrill entry specifies them going after former Burrock holdings on Dagda and Jaguar holdings on Atreus (and they also seized Pahn City and its Warhawk-producing industriplex on Huntress), and FM:U doesn't mention anything at all.

It almost seems like an oversight that the Cats' holdings weren't mentioned, especially because they called out the Cats' betrayal in their "Regarding Other Clans" section. Then again, being angry at the Cats doesn't mean the kindraa were able to get their **** together enough to do anything about it.

The Spirits I don't think ever took any Cat holdings. As of 3067, all they held was York, their Strana Mechty enclave, and their old enclave on Arcadia that they retook from the Adders. Any holdings they got on worlds like Barcella were seized long after the Cats were gone, taken during the chaos of the WoR.

Thanks Tassa and that’s helpful with their limited assets it makes sense to me that the mandrills chose striking the jags over the cats. The spirits also would have been still recovering from the mauling they took in the absorption war as well…

Hmmm what about striking at the convos which were leaving?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1068 on: 05 April 2024, 14:16:09 »
Hmmm what about striking at the convos which were leaving?

I can absolutely see this being the case, but I also think I recall reading that the Ravens were running point on convoy defense for them, too.

EDIT: Confirmed this was the case, as mentioned in the Ravens' FM:WC entry. It's how the Ravens earned their Circe enclaves from the Cats, by providing a screening force for the Cats' withdrawal and escort through the Deep Periphery.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2024, 15:14:49 by tassa_kay »

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1069 on: 05 April 2024, 16:23:12 »
EDIT: Confirmed this was the case, as mentioned in the Ravens' FM:WC entry. It's how the Ravens earned their Circe enclaves from the Cats, by providing a screening force for the Cats' withdrawal and escort through the Deep Periphery.

Thanks. This confirms what I remember. Although seems like Ravens were happy to both attack our enclaves AND escort us to the Periphery. But, fair is fair

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1070 on: 05 April 2024, 16:27:24 »

Thanks. This confirms what I remember. Although seems like Ravens were happy to both attack our enclaves AND escort us to the Periphery. But, fair is fair

Did the Ravens attack the Cats' enclaves? The only instances I could find were Bearclaw (which the Ravens negotiated from the Cats) and Circe (which the Cats gave their permission).

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1071 on: 05 April 2024, 16:40:02 »
Did the Ravens attack the Cats' enclaves? The only instances I could find were Bearclaw (which the Ravens negotiated from the Cats) and Circe (which the Cats gave their permission).
Path of Glory mentions a couple of times that the Ravens attacked the Bearclaw enclave while the Bearclaw HPG was down. I thought that the Circe enclave had been negotiated to give safcon to the whole Clan (or what could get out). It could be that the Cats on Bearclaw, not knowing what was going on, perceived they were being attacked and fired first on the Ravens. Zane Nova Cat isn't the most reliable or even tempered narrator, so it's hard to say.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1072 on: 05 April 2024, 16:44:23 »
Path of Glory mentions a couple of times that the Ravens attacked the Bearclaw enclave while the Bearclaw HPG was down. I thought that the Circe enclave had been negotiated to give safcon to the whole Clan (or what could get out). It could be that the Cats on Bearclaw, not knowing what was going on, perceived they were being attacked and fired first on the Ravens. Zane Nova Cat isn't the most reliable or even tempered narrator, so it's hard to say.

Considering how chaotic those fights were it could always be that in the confusion supposed "peaceful takeover" turn into bloody battles. Or perhaps the Ravens take the enclaves and suddenly another Clan enters the fray (that happened according to Paths of Glory) and suddenly you have a free for all.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1073 on: 05 April 2024, 16:49:27 »
Considering how chaotic those fights were it could always be that in the confusion supposed "peaceful takeover" turn into bloody battles. Or perhaps the Ravens take the enclaves and suddenly another Clan enters the fray (that happened according to Paths of Glory) and suddenly you have a free for all.

Yeah, especially when the defending unit has no idea what's going on and no ability to ask Higher for a SITREP. And also our description of the events is again from Zane, who had a limited perspective.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1074 on: 05 April 2024, 16:52:51 »
There was one battle at the beginning of Paths of Glory that was from the view of a Nova Cat commander who tried holding the enclave as long as possible while the civilians evacuate. I think they were fighting against almost all Crusader Clans but at least one of those suddenly turned on another (might have been the Hellions) Also in that battle the Adders apparently lost one of their Warships

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1075 on: 05 April 2024, 17:05:28 »

Oh no, the Cats definitely didn't attack first; Path of Glory notes that the Ravens and Horses ambushed them. The Ravens might've negotiated for the Cats' enclaves on Bearclaw after that battle.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #1076 on: 05 April 2024, 17:07:16 »
I can absolutely see this being the case, but I also think I recall reading that the Ravens were running point on convoy defense for them, too.

Right!! I forgot about that… I am certain the mandrills and spirits did attack the cats at some point during that mess but I gotta think it was not in multi sided pitched battles. With where things stood with each of those clans at that moment I would think picking off a lagging convo or snapping up a cache left poorly defended would make more sense

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1077 on: 05 April 2024, 17:16:18 »
If the Spirits ever attacked the Cats as they withdrew, I can't find any mention of it.

There was one battle at the beginning of Paths of Glory that was from the view of a Nova Cat commander who tried holding the enclave as long as possible while the civilians evacuate. I think they were fighting against almost all Crusader Clans but at least one of those suddenly turned on another (might have been the Hellions) Also in that battle the Adders apparently lost one of their Warships

That was Hoard, where the Cats were fighting the Hellions, Adders, Wolves and Horses.

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1078 on: 05 April 2024, 18:18:58 »

Playing both sides and generally being inscrutable is pretty on-brand for the Snow Ravens.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1079 on: 05 April 2024, 18:33:16 »
Playing both sides and generally being inscrutable is pretty on-brand for the Snow Ravens.

While this is true, I think it was just bad writing to include the Ravens in that ambush in the first place. Every other source shows that the Ravens were perfectly willing to help the Cats out (for a profit, ofc), it seems to contradict the fact that the Ravens bargained for that enclave, the Ravens have never been particularly Crusader-ish and certainly not to a fanatical degree, and they themselves ended up leaving Clan space to shack up with Spheroids (and in the Periphery at that). Path of Glory should've used another Clan, IMO.

Register