Author Topic: Adding a neurohelmet to my Adam Steiner costume  (Read 12538 times)

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
    • Club Cyberia Makerspace
Adding a neurohelmet to my Adam Steiner costume
« on: 09 May 2017, 15:27:27 »
For GenCon 2017 I am trying to put together a neurohelmet from the animated series.   This is my first step into custom headgear, so we shall see how this turns out.  Here are some of my reference shots (I couldn't get the images to preview correctly):

Also, I am looking for another FedCom patch for a dress uniform. . .

-Andy in Indy

« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 15:34:25 by Andy_in_Indy »
"Where there is life, there's threat!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Adding a neurohelmet to my Adam Steiner costume
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2017, 23:17:13 »
Have you tried a mock up using the old Lazer Tag Helmet as the base?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarHelmet-by-Worlds-of-Wonder-1986-Lazer-Tag-Helmet-Vintage-Retro-Rare-laser/272716551333?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D9e7dd4c503e44e0994e6b9e9052f5e28%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D112409304955

Is a current cheap bid, plus you could make the lower " chin guard " shown in first pic as a wrap around. Using vinyl or plastic piece.

Hope to see you at the Con!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2017, 12:19:43 »
The Star Helmet is a good option.  I may have one in my old Lazer Tag stuff, even.

My first attempt at a foam helmet looks helmety, but it does not look like the helmet I want.  I am wondering if I should build up a layer on top of that one or start from scratch.  It doesn't look bulky enough with just one layer of foam.

I am still going to keep at the foam one for a while.

You will see me around at GenCon, probably looking to play Alpha Strike.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 15:02:44 by Andy_in_Indy »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2017, 13:58:52 »
http://www.hollywoodtoysandcostumes.com/GI-Joe---Duke-Adult-Full-Helmet_1660354.html

just fill in the side areas of the visor.

Working with what you have, I'm not sure it should taper in at the rear. Just come straight down with it. You could modify the pattern from a Boba/Jango Fett helmet and get the right look.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2017, 14:02:04 by Cache »

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2017, 07:42:40 »
I had not seen the Duke helmet before.  Too bad it is hard to find in the adult size.  It would be worth at least getting one to try.

I looked at the Boba Fett helmet as part of my initial research.  The helmet was off in some critical places, so I was not going to use it as a base.  However, I do want to use the top from my bad helmet, the drop the sides straight down like his helmet.  I will probably use the same kind of construction under the helmet to keep the curve correct.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2017, 09:19:42 »
Now that I've looked a little more, I wonder if a BvS  armored Batman mask could be modified. It appears to be more easily available.

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2017, 10:16:43 »
That's a good suggestion.  I am looking for an inexpensive solid one, now.

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2017, 15:32:38 »
There is a toy 2 part helmet that runs about $30 on eBay, and several latex/vinyl ones around $20.

I did find a template that I think I can work with from https://youtu.be/FpJbLqcuLZg on a foam helmet version.  The template is on his Facebook feed as a jpg, so I will have to size, trace and modify it.

I will follow up when I have messed with it a bit.

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2017, 14:26:53 »
Update 7-13-2017 

OK, I Had trouble getting the Batman mask together, so I decided to strike out on my own.  I started by making a head form, which is basically just something the rough size and shape of my head that I could use to make a helmet pattern. 

Behold, my Evil Twin Skippy! 

With Skippy's help, I made the pattern.  I started by wrapping his head in tin foil and duct tape (I heard no objections from him), and drawing the important parts from my reference shots of the helmet in the series to get the face opening correct.

Reference shot

Skippy with drawn pattern: 

I cut the pattern off the head and laid it out flat on a cutting board. 

I used Inkscape to trace the photo into a pattern, and then sized it up about 10%. 
I cut out the parts and taped them together to test the alignment and the fit. 

I need to make the helmet taller and wider on the base, as well as fix some alignment issues.  If I get this to work the way I want, I will be able to post a pattern that anyone could print out and cut out of EVA Foam (floor mats).

« Last Edit: 17 July 2017, 14:47:59 by Andy_in_Indy »

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2017, 14:51:21 »
Update: 7-15-2017
I worked on the helmet again on Friday night.  There are still areas of poor fit, but I can probably fix this with a dremel tool to re-shape the problem areas.  I think I will do that, then cut it apart to make a new pattern.

Overall, it is moving toward my final goal:  a Neurohelmet and sharable pattern that other people can make.

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2017, 08:04:46 »
OK, it looks like there was only two places that needed to be fixed, so the pattern will work.  I was caught off guard by how the shape changed as new pieces were added, and the finished shape looks very good.

I need to fill in the loose seams and add the surface details.  The helmet is quite roomy so I will see if I can add a fan and venting along with the interior padding to keep my head cooled.  Here is a shot of my friend Dave giving his best shell-shocked MechWarrior impression.

« Last Edit: 19 July 2017, 08:11:07 by Andy_in_Indy »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2017, 14:48:56 »
Wow, nicely done.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2017, 10:25:43 »

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2017, 10:21:20 »
I spent time this weekend removing the marker ink and filling in seams.  I will be working on the few details for exterior of the helmet, next.  I needed a good logo for the 1st Somerset Strikers.  Since I could not find one, I traced a bad one I found online and redid the colors in Inkscape.

Since I had the image, I decided I might as well make a set of Faction Dice for the Strikers.

I'll be adding the details to the back, next.

After that, I have a cooling fan and some interior details like padding and the forehead contact to make.

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2017, 09:45:22 »
Well, I tried adding the details with a wood burning tool, as was recommended.  Unfortunately, I can't keep the tool steady enough for that, so I am less than pleased with the results.

The next time I do this, I will layer in different thickness sheets of foam to get the same effect, but with better cuts.  SIGH!

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2017, 15:39:53 »
Well, I tried adding the details with a wood burning tool, as was recommended.  Unfortunately, I can't keep the tool steady enough for that, so I am less than pleased with the results.
http://i.imgur.com/KM8l7rf.jpg

The next time I do this, I will layer in different thickness sheets of foam to get the same effect, but with better cuts.  SIGH!

Maybe try partial-depth cuts with an exacto and hitting it with a heat gun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxVL8ic5A68

That channel has a TON of info for making foam props.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2017, 16:18:39 »
Looks awesome! Well done :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2017, 18:07:21 »
Gonna have to Trial for this... by slamming a Warship into your planet, Jade Falcon style: KHHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Awesome, can't wait to see it in person...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2017, 11:28:49 »
Maybe try partial-depth cuts with an exacto and hitting it with a heat gun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxVL8ic5A68

That channel has a TON of info for making foam props.

I follow Punished Props on youtube.  My first attempt at a helmet was based on Bill Doran's template.  I think that what I will do for the next one (I knew I would be unhappy with my first two attempts - it takes a bit to get good at something) is layer some thin foam to bring the details up.  I might have some edge seams to fill, but I am getting better at that.

Looks awesome! Well done :)

Thanks!  I am stoked about getting this done for GenCon.

Gonna have to Trial for this... by slamming a Warship into your planet, Jade Falcon style: KHHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Awesome, can't wait to see it in person...

TT

I should have this on 2 out of the four days (Saturday for the Costume Parade, and whatever day Loren Coleman is supposed to be at the Battletech talk), and IF we can get it done, the FedCom Dress Uniform (Steiner, just because) on either Thursday or Friday.  See you there!

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 28 July 2017, 11:52:34 »
The next step was to cover the helmet is a flexible base coat that I could paint.  I was not happy with how much of the can got used up with the spray Plastidip, so I tried Flex Seal.  Right out of the can, it is very thick and viscous, so I diluted it with mineral spirits.

First Coat, very diluted:

Second Coat, a lot less diluted:

The thicker coat left a lot of unevenness and brush strokes.  I will get to find out tonight if Flex Seal can be sanded!

I printed out a couple sheets of mailing labels with the 1st Somerset Strikers logo and the FedCom logo similar to the ones in the show about (1 1/2 inches across).  I will probable give them out at GenCon.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 28 July 2017, 17:41:27 »
I MUST find you... if your doing that!

Can't wait to see you there too!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2017, 11:51:38 »
It looks like I am in the home stretch! The Flex Seal was a pain in the behind to work with.  The paints did not like to stick to it, and I didn't want to use an adhesion promoter because I was not sure how much it would stiffen up the flex seal.  So I pealed up what went on, and sprayed it with a coat of white Plastidip and put on several coats of a silver paint for leather.  To hide the brush stokes and to give t the look of old metal, I sponged on the last coat of silver and then sanded it down (but not all the way).

This left a rough surface. I then applied a very diluted black acrylic paint, and then wiped it off (just like a wash coat you apply to miniatures to bring out the details) while it was still wet.  This darkened the bright silver quite a bit.  I painted the area around the face with flat black, and sealed it all with clear Plastidip.  Finally, I put the 1st Somerset Striker logo on the top, just like it appears in the TV Show.

All that is left is the forehead contact points and the padding.

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #22 on: 15 August 2017, 08:48:47 »
It is close enough to GenCon to know that the FedCom dress uniform will not be done.  :(   Too much life coming at us this summer.

I will be in costume Thursday and Saturday, but I have lots of stuff on Saturday that is away from the Catalyst area.  If you want to run into me in costume, Thursday before noon I will be around the Alpha Strike games, and I will try to sneak into the Catalyst talk that night (I did not get a ticket, so I am hoping there will be space).

I will also be playing Battletech Friday Morning, so if there are people who want meet me out of costume, I will be there, too.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 15 August 2017, 09:03:46 »
Awwh, still its a noble effort and it looks great!  As for the clothing from the show, just get jeans and rip pointless holes in them and muller it up round the ankes :D 

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 16 August 2017, 10:52:46 »
Awwh, still its a noble effort and it looks great!  As for the clothing from the show, just get jeans and rip pointless holes in them and muller it up round the ankes :D 

Take a closer look at my profile picture.  I already assembled the rest a few years ago, and now I have been tweaking accessories and props (I still need an ax for the AX-2N from Tyco).  Unfortunately, it's hard to look military trim when you weigh 300 lbs.

Here are some other photos from the past two years:

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 16 August 2017, 13:22:09 »
Well ya look great :D

Dakkon

• Corporal
« Reply #26 on: 16 August 2017, 13:57:36 »
Yeah it looks great, nice attention to detail.

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #27 on: 17 August 2017, 05:58:25 »
Thanks, everyone!  I hope I run into you at GenCon.

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 22 August 2017, 08:38:55 »
I had a great time as Adam Steiner at GenCon.  I was recognized several times, although many people thought it was supposed to be an outfit from Battlestar Galatica.

Here is how the helmet looked when finished:

I got to meet the group from Catalyst.  The new head of BattleTech development like my helmet so much he wanted to try it on.

I stopped by the Catalyst booth the next day, and Michael Stackpole and Loren Coleman handled my purchase! (I was too surprised to get an autograph or photo)

I also met Jordan Weisman at the Harebrained Schemes talk.

But the best part was running into another Adam Steiner! (Sorry about the focus)

I may switch my costume to Hawkins and see if we can run a group cosplay.

My last step for this build is to clean up the patterns and post them here.  As always, documentation is the hard part, so wish me luck!

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 22 August 2017, 23:26:49 »
The neurohelmet looks great.  You really look the part!  O0

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."