Author Topic: (Answered) Follow-up Question Regarding TMM, Movement and Standing Still  (Read 1535 times)

Olsenwc

• Recruit
I understand that this question was asked earlier, but I feel that some important context was not included. 

On page 32 of the 5th Alpha Strike Commanders Rules it states:

MINIMUM MOVEMENT
If a unit is mobile it can always move 2” in any direction,
regardless of terrain movement costs (unless the terrain is
prohibited).

Thus, would a unit need to "move" at least two inches to gain TMM.  To your previous response, see below, this does work out to one inch of lateral movement when you factor in a change in 1 level. 

This makes my understanding that less than 2" of a unit's movement used equals standing still with a TMM of 0.  Once the unit has used greater than 2" of its movement then the TMM value would be generated. 

Example: My MAD-3R is issued an order to move, but moves only 1" it is still movement would still be in the standing still category.  Now if I move the same MAD-3R 2" inches it would gain it's TMM value of one.  This total travel of 2" would still apply when I change one level as I would need to use 1" to move up a level and move laterally 1".  Thus, only 1" of lateral movement is generated for the TMM value.  Everyone has locked onto this interpretation even though there is a minimum movement rule published. 

(Answered) TMM, movement, and standstill question
In the early days of Alpha Strike, it's my understanding that TMM was applied based on the unit's movement capability, not necessarily the distance between the start and end position of the unit during the movement phase. In other words, a unit could receive its TMM bonus by running in a circle and ending it's movement where it began, effectively moving 0" on the game board.

In the fifth printing of "Alpha Strike Commander's Edition", they seemed to have added clarity around how TMM relates to movement.

On page 37 it reads...

Ground Movement

A unit that moves at least 1 inch and does not declare another movement mode is using ground movement...

Standstill

A mobile unit that chooses to move less than 1 inch in the current turn is at a standstill...

On page 42 it reads...

Ground Movement: A ground unit that moved 1 inch or more along the ground that turn, and did not jump, is using ground movement

And finally, the "Target Movement Modifiers" table on page 44 says that a unit using ground movement (moves at least 1") gets its TMM. A unit standing still or using minimum movement has a TMM of 0.

So my question is...do units now have to end their movement at least 1" from their starting position to gain the TMM bonus?
« Last Edit: Today at 12:16:20 by Xotl »
nckestrel
Scientia Bellator
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Alpha Strike TMM, movement, and standstill question
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:09:19 »
Yes, a unit's base must be 1" or more away from it's starting location for the unit to not be at a standstill (and therefore have it's TMM).
It does not matter how much MV it costs, the unit's base must be 1" or more from where it started.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2023, 16:26:37 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Follow-up Question Regarding TMM, Movement and Standing Still
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2023, 16:23:05 »
Minimum movement gives the ability for a unit to move at least 2" regardless of terrain costs.  A foot infantry with MV 2" can still move 2" through woods and up a 1" elevation change.

It does not mean you have to move 2".  It enables you to move at least 2".
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets