Author Topic: Hidden Worlds  (Read 36827 times)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: Hidden Worlds
« Reply #60 on: 30 November 2013, 09:21:45 »
That's more like it, I was afraid something was seriously wrong when you gave us the names instead of taunting us. You know, like trying to fool us into lowering the guard for extra hard surprise crotch kicking.

Who says he didn't?
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #61 on: 30 November 2013, 09:53:25 »
Hi,

A caveat: I'm not in charge any more. I just write what I'm told to now. So, everything I said before can now be totally wrong. Even then, the in-universe perspective is that they'll likely never be solved. I only discussed the elements that (as far as I know) really have no forthcoming in-universe solutions in the works. Heck, the last plans I had for Word of Blake had those two Hidden NEVER to be found, even centuries after the Jihad. And IMO, Stone's identity mystery has dragged on so long now that any revelation of "the truth" would be a "so what?" moment, because everyone else of remote importance to the plot has already been accounted for and/or has passed.

On the other hand, the Wolverweenies and their connection may yet be a relevant plot point to someone, at some time. Ergo, I won't reveal that answer, even if it does change.

So, really, all I did was put down the lame horses, and sent them to the glue factory. Because beating them is dullsville.

Thanks,

- Herb

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 30 November 2013, 10:28:03 »
I can't help but note that this thread is neither in the forum's "Ask the Writers" nor in the "Ask the Lead Developers" section. Which means Herb's revelations are not official rulings or statements, but only his personal opinion - qualified as it may be.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 30 November 2013, 10:58:40 »
Awww, and here I was hoping someone would finally get this after the huge clue in FR:2765 with Sharpe's Rifles. (Sharpe's Rifles was led by Richard Sharpe, whose arch-nemesis was Obadiah Hakeswill)

Øystein

Or the first two words on the Obadiah section of ISP3....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #64 on: 30 November 2013, 13:33:03 »
Hi,

So, really, all I did was put down the lame horses, and sent them to the glue factory. Because beating them is dullsville.

Thanks,

- Herb

One of the best descriptions I've heard to an answer now we need another mystery to beat... Oh wait there's plenty more mysteries... Like that automated Newgrange from 2750... Think I want one
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #65 on: 30 November 2013, 16:20:17 »
Say, was it ever explained what 5th Fedcom was doing between their flight and their flashy return during the siege of New Avalon?
Shoot first, laugh later.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #66 on: 30 November 2013, 16:34:51 »
Hi,

We never decided. Whoever he was, it's nobody we've really even seen before. But there's no drama in "he's just a nobody who got lucky", so yeah.

Thanks,

- Herb

This is AWESOME news that means in my AU Mr Stone could very well be the child of Vlad and Katie! *rubs hands in eager anticipation while laughing maniacally* Yes in my AU they had a child.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2013, 16:48:23 by TS_Hawk »

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 30 November 2013, 16:40:56 »
This is AWESOME news that means in my AU Mr Stone could very well be the the grandchild of Vlad and Katie! *rubs hands in eager anticipation while laughing maniacally*

Only if a misjump sent them into the past, or your AU is heavy on the Alternate(Though, if its THAT heavy, what does canon matter at all?). Vlad and Katherine met sometime in the mid to late 3050s? CBA to look up the exact date, so lets say 3055(which I doubt is right, but that doesnt matter). If they jumped straight into bed (which I'm pretty sure Katherine's perspective in the novels indicate they didn't.) and had a kid together despite Vlad's trueborn inclination against such, by 3070 when the Jihad is getting kicked off, their kid is 15. Now, its possible that they could have a kid too, but they'd be a toddler at best. I don't see a toddler leading a successful rebellion against the Word of Blake. Even a Ward-Steiner-Davion.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #68 on: 30 November 2013, 16:49:09 »
Sorry had to fix it got the timeline screwed up because I still haven't fleshed out the Jihad and after that.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #69 on: 30 November 2013, 18:29:12 »
Hi,

Say, was it ever explained what 5th Fedcom was doing between their flight and their flashy return during the siege of New Avalon?

Hiding. What else? This isn't rocket science, after all; they were freaking wanted for crimes against humanity!

- Herb

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #70 on: 30 November 2013, 18:58:28 »
I can't understand why people thought they'd be up to anything special.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Yeti

• Sergeant
  • Mechanized Infantry
« Reply #71 on: 30 November 2013, 19:05:29 »
Because everything that ever happened is part of a great centuries spanning plan by either A. Clan Wolverine, B. Comstar/WoB, or C. the Tetatae.   :D

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 30 November 2013, 20:02:15 »
Because everything that ever happened is part of a great centuries spanning plan by either A. Clan Wolverine, B. Comstar/WoB, or C. the Tetatae.   :D

But you told me Sheogorath was behind it all.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #73 on: 30 November 2013, 20:50:13 »

Don't the tanite brain slugs get any credit?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #74 on: 30 November 2013, 21:49:30 »

You forget the illuminate from ISP then again if Stoner was just a decent fighter with a plan maybe that rules the out too lol
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 30 November 2013, 22:14:13 »
I don't care for Stone being a Steiner-Davion or of 'royal' blood etc but I wouldn't have minded some info on his military record, homeworld, possible family etc from before the Blakist camp. Anyway, thank you Herb for giving us some info on the hidden worlds, any info is appreciated.
Made by HikageMaru

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 01 December 2013, 10:22:54 »
I don't care for Stone being a Steiner-Davion or of 'royal' blood etc but I wouldn't have minded some info on his military record, homeworld, possible family etc from before the Blakist camp.

If he wasn't part of a conspiracy that would eliminate some of the mystery that surrounds him.  If he was (whether knowingly or unknowingly), then the conspirators would have had to eliminate anybody who could confirm or deny his story as well as any records that could do the same.  In this case, the KISS rule makes perfect sense.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #77 on: 01 December 2013, 20:05:31 »
Ben Rome explicitly stated a while back that Devlin Stone is confirmedly one of the four possibles listed in Masters & Minions.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #78 on: 01 December 2013, 20:41:04 »
Ben Rome explicitly stated a while back that Devlin Stone is confirmedly one of the four possibles listed in Masters & Minions.
And Herb has specifically said in this thread that Devlin Stone was a nobody. You don't get a more clear answer than that. Nobody means just that, nobody.

With regards,
Øystein

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #79 on: 01 December 2013, 21:23:48 »
And Herb has specifically said in this thread that Devlin Stone was a nobody. You don't get a more clear answer than that. Nobody means just that, nobody.

With regards,
Øystein

From the perspective of the game, all four suggestions were nobodies/little people, so doesn't invalidate either claim...

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #80 on: 01 December 2013, 23:30:44 »
With all the new information about the Hidden Worlds (conditionally) and Stone's identity (unless it changes), I can now focus my entire attention and hopes on what happens to the Fidelis post this crazy era of warfare.  :D

I don't expect them to come back as a new, reborn Clan Smoke Jaguar, but I do find their concept interesting in a way I can both relate to and see potential in for game play.  My Clan might be the deadest horse (cat) ever, but it sure is fun to ride out the conspiracies while they last.
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."
  - Star Colonel Damien Furey

"I'm going to found a mercenary outfit, all the cool kids are doing it."
 - Duchess Designate Alice Duvall

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #81 on: 02 December 2013, 16:56:10 »
Since this thread has turned into a spontaneous "Clear-this-one-thing-up-for-me" thread, can we be told who are/were the Green Ghosts? :D :D
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #82 on: 02 December 2013, 16:59:02 »
Okay, still wondering what hidden ComStar world was within jump range of New Earth, or if we discount the Clinton's Cutthroats bit from the Blake Documents if Herb is on the level.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #83 on: 02 December 2013, 18:10:46 »

With regards,
Øystein

Whoa, whoa, calm down, dude. Like Cyc said, the four guys listed in M&M were nobodies, so it fits with what Ben had said perfectly. Here's the list:

James Pervu - a construction foreman from Gei-Fu
Christopher Sheldon - a lance commander in the Kittery Planetary Militia
Saul Miller - an AFFS administrative assistant last stationed on Tikonov
Jahn Prowell - a shipping captain from Sian

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 03 December 2013, 03:21:04 »
My money would be on it being one of the middle two.

Both from the Fed-Suns
Both in the AFFS.

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #85 on: 03 December 2013, 09:55:12 »
For that, I now want him to be from Sian ;)
Returns from the Dead to be a Taurian and Shark/Fox Fanboy

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #86 on: 03 December 2013, 16:32:35 »
Yep, who better to be such an enemy of the Confederation than a Capellan :)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: 03 December 2013, 16:51:39 »
And there's a certain irony in idea of the Confederation going to war several times against an empire created by one of its own sons...

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #88 on: 03 December 2013, 16:58:19 »
And there's a certain irony in idea of the Confederation going to war several times against an empire created by one of its own sons...

Even if Stone isn't a Capellan, Lear, in many ways the true architect of the Republic, is. Either way, it was one or more Capellans sticking it to their fellow Capellans.

Amaris Fan Club

• Sergeant
« Reply #89 on: 03 December 2013, 18:52:59 »
Whoever "Devlin Stone" is, he's likely based on some obscure cultural reference ...

Some quick Google-fu on the four candidates turned up the following:

James Pervu - PERVU is an acronym meaning Practice Events Relative Value Units, medical practice related
-Meaningless, but there was an interesting event on Gei-Fu in 3050 involving an uprising
Christopher "C.B." Sheldon - Captain of the Albatross, a boat that sank in 1961 and inspired the movie White Squall starring Jeff Bridges.  Also, Lloyd Bridges starred in a 1992 movie called Devlin.
- I am now picturing Jeff Bridges as Devlin Stone - "The Exarch Abides"
Saul Miller - A dead Canadian politician and a writer of self-help books (including Performing Under Pressure and Why Teams Win)
- Why Teams Win?  The Coalition?
Jahn Prowell - Jahn is a German surname, notable Jahn's include Erich Jahn, a Hitler Youth Leader, and Gunnar Jahn, a Norwegian politician and WW2 resistance member
- Resistance member and politician sounds more likely than Nazi
There's also a John Powell who composed the score for several Disney films
- Chicken Run - possibe RMBU connection?  Kung Fu Panda=Ghost Bears?

To add to the confusion here are some anagrams of "Devlin Stone";

Ed Insolvent
Livened Snot
Vented Loins (!)
Loved Tennis
Ends Violent

Personally I favor the Jeff Bridges interpretation.  Look at some of the movies he's played in:  Tron - you can't get more 80's Sci-Fi than that.  Starman, Tucker, K-PAX ...

"My Dear Wife; 
I just met Leutnant Hogarth, the new military aid you sent me.
Ha Ha, very funny.
Love Hanse"

Register