Author Topic: Hidden Worlds  (Read 36542 times)

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
Re: Hidden Worlds
« Reply #90 on: 03 December 2013, 19:51:51 »
Whoever "Devlin Stone" is, he's likely based on some obscure cultural reference ...

Nope.

Two of the names are plays on guys in my gaming group. The other two were random generators. One of four is the for-sure thing.

I know this for absolute certainty because Herb and I had a long discussion about Stone with Randall, and constructed a background and story for him, in case the opportunity to write his saga ever came up (either via a novel, novella, or e-pub for Battlecorps). That opportunity never happened. (It may yet still.)

What is for absolute certainty, and something we've known since Day 1, is that Stone is indeed an 'every man' who rose up into greatness from obscurity with no noble blood, backing, or hidden agenda.

I will admit the decade-plus of conjectures, theories, and 'investigations' by fans/players has entertained me to some extent over the years...
Eh.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #91 on: 03 December 2013, 19:56:22 »
I was always amused by his name

Devlin Stone = the Devil-In-Stone he was one a rock that held the coalition together and a devil to the Word of Blake
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #92 on: 03 December 2013, 20:37:08 »
Field Report 2765: DC has dropped, the 12th Galedon Regulars are stationed on a tongue-twister of a world.  Wasn't this world, Dunklewälderdunklerflüssenschattenwelt mentioned as possible hidden world?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #93 on: 03 December 2013, 20:46:37 »
Field Report 2765: DC has dropped, the 12th Galedon Regulars are stationed on a tongue-twister of a world.  Wasn't this world, Dunklewälderdunklerflüssenschattenwelt mentioned as possible hidden world?

No.

It is the world that later got renamed to Bob, but which died out because the Combine's notorious bureaucracy didn't update their records on the name change, so vital deliveries of technology sent to "Bob" to keep the world alive never reached it and it slowly died a horrible death.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 03 December 2013, 21:08:19 »
No.

It is the world that later got renamed to Bob, but which died out because the Combine's notorious bureaucracy didn't update their records on the name change, so vital deliveries of technology sent to "Bob" to keep the world alive never reached it and it slowly died a horrible death.

A PLANET CALLED "BOB" FINALLY!!
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #95 on: 03 December 2013, 21:34:03 »
No.

Ahh, now i remember that being mentioned somewhere.   Thanks, Øystein.

Man, those bureaucracates would think they'd update their files with world with named so simply, you can name it backwards and not get it wrong.   Rest in pieces, Bob. (Formally, known as Robert to his family. ;) )
« Last Edit: 03 December 2013, 22:17:46 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Legatus

• Corporal
« Reply #96 on: 03 December 2013, 21:38:30 »
Thank you for finally revealing some "concrete" information regarding these mysteries.  Looking over old Battletech (~1980's - early 1990's) compared to CGL' s Battletech, I certainly appreciate the older style without so many conspiracies and mysteries.  I can only imagine the frustration some of the older players must have felt to have to wait so long for these answers.  I am glad I did not.  But I think you have got some new and interesting twists to come for us new players that I am looking forward to seeing play out.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 03 December 2013, 23:01:54 »
Thank you for finally revealing some "concrete" information regarding these mysteries.  Looking over old Battletech (~1980's - early 1990's) compared to CGL' s Battletech, I certainly appreciate the older style without so many conspiracies and mysteries.  I can only imagine the frustration some of the older players must have felt to have to wait so long for these answers.  I am glad I did not.  But I think you have got some new and interesting twists to come for us new players that I am looking forward to seeing play out.

This. Very much this..  :)
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #98 on: 03 December 2013, 23:12:02 »
Nope.

Two of the names are plays on guys in my gaming group. The other two were random generators. One of four is the for-sure thing.

I know this for absolute certainty because Herb and I had a long discussion about Stone with Randall, and constructed a background and story for him, in case the opportunity to write his saga ever came up (either via a novel, novella, or e-pub for Battlecorps). That opportunity never happened. (It may yet still.)

What is for absolute certainty, and something we've known since Day 1, is that Stone is indeed an 'every man' who rose up into greatness from obscurity with no noble blood, backing, or hidden agenda.

I will admit the decade-plus of conjectures, theories, and 'investigations' by fans/players has entertained me to some extent over the years...

Well now with that over, let's get back to the really important issue that is in the back of everyone's mind: whatever happened to Arthur Steiner-Davion?  ;)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #99 on: 03 December 2013, 23:21:08 »
Well now with that over, let's get back to the really important issue that is in the back of everyone's mind: whatever happened to Arthur Steiner-Davion?  ;)

Spare parts for Manei Domini?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 03 December 2013, 23:27:12 »
Spare parts for Manei Domini?

scrappy bits on the bottom of your shoe?

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #101 on: 03 December 2013, 23:33:01 »
scrappy bits on the bottom of your shoe?

And then frozen in carbonite?
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."
  - Star Colonel Damien Furey

"I'm going to found a mercenary outfit, all the cool kids are doing it."
 - Duchess Designate Alice Duvall

Amaris Fan Club

• Sergeant
« Reply #102 on: 04 December 2013, 02:25:33 »
And then frozen in carbonite?

He's now Prince Arthur in a can.

A very small can.

"My Dear Wife; 
I just met Leutnant Hogarth, the new military aid you sent me.
Ha Ha, very funny.
Love Hanse"

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #103 on: 04 December 2013, 04:35:27 »
He could have been Lucifer, this pet MD of St. Jamais, probably dying on Terra.

Devlin Stone, I believe it was Christopher Sheldon.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 04 December 2013, 04:50:36 »

You already asked and got an answer:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,32307.msg762978.html#msg762978

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 04 December 2013, 04:53:28 »
He could have been Lucifer, this pet MD of St. Jamais, probably dying on Terra.
Lucifer was Precentor Ravana.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: 04 December 2013, 07:03:43 »
Lucifer was Precentor Ravana.
Indeed, but who was Ravana before get this name (which is not the name he was given by his parents, this he got because of his "ascension" being a true MD).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravana
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 04 December 2013, 09:50:05 »
Indeed, but who was Ravana before get this name (which is not the name he was given by his parents, this he got because of his "ascension" being a true MD).

Okay, I misunderstood your question.

Now to the point: Is the Precentor Ravana's "original" name really that important? If we get to know it, would it move storyline of the BattleTech forward?

I mean, we already know/think that he probably used to be a member of the old pre-Schizm ComStar, possibly a member of the ROM.

One thing are mysteries, bones thrown by the CGL writers to the fans to let them speculate about something important. The fate of Arthur Steiner-Davion, for example.

But the Ravana's name? That's just one untold detail, irrelevant and unimportant. You can't expect to get the complete biography of every person in a sourcebook.
I don't know his name and I am okay with it - my experience of the book is not worse because of it.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #108 on: 04 December 2013, 10:39:38 »
Okay, just looking to confirm what was said in JS:BD.  Did Clinton's Cutthroats really guard a hidden world?

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #109 on: 04 December 2013, 10:50:08 »
Okay, just looking to confirm what was said in JS:BD.  Did Clinton's Cutthroats really guard a hidden world?

This really isn't a "CGL divulges all its secrets" thread. So I'm going to kindly ask that such inquiries - harmless, overt, cagey, or not - please cease.
Eh.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #110 on: 04 December 2013, 10:51:46 »
This really isn't a "CGL divulges all its secrets" thread. So I'm going to kindly ask that such inquiries - harmless, overt, cagey, or not - please cease.

My Apologies.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 04 December 2013, 13:17:50 »
Agreed, there are so many personalities that it is impossible to write many details about every of them.
My intention was, that Ravana/Luzfer could have been Arthur.

And given the detail told us about him in JHS: Terra:
My sources tell me that Precentor Lucifer, the rogue Manei Domini who sided with Cameron St. Jamais, actually detonated Hilton Head’s subterranean nuclear weapons stockpile in an desperate bid to prevent another Manei Domini—Precentor Azrael—from enacting a devastating scorched earth plan across Terra itself.

A story quite interesting to get more details about, is not it?

Okay, I misunderstood your question.

Now to the point: Is the Precentor Ravana's "original" name really that important? If we get to know it, would it move storyline of the BattleTech forward?

I mean, we already know/think that he probably used to be a member of the old pre-Schizm ComStar, possibly a member of the ROM.

One thing are mysteries, bones thrown by the CGL writers to the fans to let them speculate about something important. The fate of Arthur Steiner-Davion, for example.

But the Ravana's name? That's just one untold detail, irrelevant and unimportant. You can't expect to get the complete biography of every person in a sourcebook.
I don't know his name and I am okay with it - my experience of the book is not worse because of it.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 04 December 2013, 13:30:55 »
Agreed, there are so many personalities that it is impossible to write many details about every of them.
My intention was, that Ravana/Luzfer could have been Arthur.

And given the detail told us about him in JHS: Terra:
A story quite interesting to get more details about, is not it?

Yes, sure. But there are other books ...

But your original question was this:

1) Masters and Minions, p.218 tells us that Precentor Ravana = Lucifer. He died on Terra (Hilton Head explosion detailed in JHS:Terra).

2) Total Chaos, p.212 tells us that Arthur Steiner-Davion was smuggled by the Word of Blake from Terra. (naturally, "if" it was him).

They are two different people.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #113 on: 04 December 2013, 16:53:08 »
James Pervu - a construction foreman from Gei-Fu

This is my guess as to who Stone was.
CDT Agent #319

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #114 on: 05 December 2013, 07:10:15 »

Oh please Ben. Like I haven't already hacked into your computer! I found the ALLSECRETS.DOC file you tried to hide!

Once the other fans find out that [REDACTED] [REDACTED] the [REDACTED] so that [REDACTED] can [REDACTED] the [REDACTED] Wolverines, the [REDACTED] will [REDACTED] the [REDACTED]. Well played sir!
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 05 December 2013, 12:28:21 »
You already asked and got an answer:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,32307.msg762978.html#msg762978

It's kind of vague actually. The Protege is still out there . . . probably, but if Arthur is the Protege out there on possibly the FWLS Cornith thinking to himself that he really misses Steiner-Davion Christmases of his youth, you have to feel sorry for the poor guy since thanks to brainwashing he probably barely remembers them. He had no idea that his life was going to go this way when he helped fight off the Kokuryu-Kai on Robinson before the FedCom Civil War. Alone he sits silently wondering, fearing, and waiting.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #116 on: 05 December 2013, 13:36:14 »
Alone he sits silently wondering, fearing, and waiting.
And so he will *Thomas Marik Mk2*?
The scion of a successor Lord, hurt in a fiery sxplosion, saved by WoB, being only an upgrade, a *Master Mk2*?

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: 05 December 2013, 14:39:41 »
The thing about Arthur is the Word of Blake was behind the explosion that lead him down his path. Thomas Marik was probably caught in explosion ordered by his cousin Duncan Marik, so Thomas really did have a beef against FWL politics which Thomas increased to Inner Sphere level. On the other hand Arthur has severe Stockholm syndrome by the time that he become the Protege because it wasn't Suns, Alliance, or Commonwealth politics that lead to Arthur being abducted: no, it was his captures.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #118 on: 05 December 2013, 14:53:50 »

I would go with Bob, from the planet Bob.  BoB, or "Bob of Bob," if you aren't into the whole brevity thing.

BoB abides.

Register