Author Topic: Hybrid Rules of Alpha Strike and Mechwarrior: Destiny  (Read 1714 times)

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Hybrid Rules of Alpha Strike and Mechwarrior: Destiny
« on: 23 September 2019, 20:28:28 »
So a couple people have mentioned the possibility of merging Alpha Strike and Mechwarrior: Destiny into a sort of hybrid game that plays fast like AS but has a bit more granularity to weapons and damage.

I started putting pen to paper and actually codifying what that might look like beyond the base concepts.  In doing so I have come across a couple instances that I feel need some additional rules or thought.  So I am soliciting opinions from others on what might work.

Attacks to the Rear Arc - So far I have down that any time you attack an enemy 'mechs rear arc all hits to the torso receive a critical hit chance as per rolling a 2.  Gives some incentive to maneuver, feels similar to the intent from TW rules, and avoids just adding more damage.

Plot Points - So this one is tricky.  They interface enough with the damage resolution in MWD that I feel like they should be included but how?  Right now I am thinking a pool of points per side.  No rules to generate any mid-battle so it is a precious and dwindling resource.  Where I am stuck is how to determine the amount.  1D6 per side?  Set amount so each side is fair?  Scrap group points and go with points per pilot?  I hate to bring in concepts from another property, but is it worth rewarding extra points for building "Fluffy/lore friendly" forces?  How would that be set up?

Battlefield Support - I like to use chaos campaign tracks so I quickly recognised these as potential track options.  Initial thoughts would be to off pools of Support Points(Plot Points) that could be used for the purchased upgrade.  You purchase Air support, you get some plot points solely for bombing, strafing, etc.  You take a bonus option the opponent gets them.  The other question is, leave them narrative based as per the rules to keep it quick and simple, or add in some hex based rules?  If the later I am thinking some kind of Hex templates, line for strafing, artillery barrage cluster, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on the above, or your own insights for those who put work into merging the two?
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

Ben

• Corporal
  • Awwww Yeaa
Re: Hybrid Rules of Alpha Strike and Mechwarrior: Destiny
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2019, 22:13:31 »
Honestly, I was looking purely at using the armor diagrams and weapons damage from Destiny, and everything else from AS. So no plot points, and existing rules for for support.

I had just been thinking of the standard AS  +1 damage for a rear arc shot, but the chance for crit thing is an interesting idea. I was never a big fan of the golden BB through armor crit in TW though.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2019, 23:06:02 »
In regards to rear attacks for Destiny...

Roll 2, Critical Hit on 8+. Roll 6/7/8, Critical Hit on 2 or 12 requires a plot point
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2019, 07:40:29 »
So a couple people have mentioned the possibility of merging Alpha Strike and Mechwarrior: Destiny into a sort of hybrid game that plays fast like AS but has a bit more granularity to weapons and damage.

I started putting pen to paper and actually codifying what that might look like beyond the base concepts.  In doing so I have come across a couple instances that I feel need some additional rules or thought.  So I am soliciting opinions from others on what might work.

Attacks to the Rear Arc - So far I have down that any time you attack an enemy 'mechs rear arc all hits to the torso receive a critical hit chance as per rolling a 2.  Gives some incentive to maneuver, feels similar to the intent from TW rules, and avoids just adding more damage.

Plot Points - So this one is tricky.  They interface enough with the damage resolution in MWD that I feel like they should be included but how?  Right now I am thinking a pool of points per side.  No rules to generate any mid-battle so it is a precious and dwindling resource.  Where I am stuck is how to determine the amount.  1D6 per side?  Set amount so each side is fair?  Scrap group points and go with points per pilot?  I hate to bring in concepts from another property, but is it worth rewarding extra points for building "Fluffy/lore friendly" forces?  How would that be set up?

Battlefield Support - I like to use chaos campaign tracks so I quickly recognised these as potential track options.  Initial thoughts would be to off pools of Support Points(Plot Points) that could be used for the purchased upgrade.  You purchase Air support, you get some plot points solely for bombing, strafing, etc.  You take a bonus option the opponent gets them.  The other question is, leave them narrative based as per the rules to keep it quick and simple, or add in some hex based rules?  If the later I am thinking some kind of Hex templates, line for strafing, artillery barrage cluster, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on the above, or your own insights for those who put work into merging the two?

Honestly, I'm with @Ben on this one.
Don't try and bring MW:D plot points into AS it will never work.
As for the conversion:
1. Use the Armor diagram.
2. My preferred method would be to just use the AS weapons system.
3. For head hits I would say, require a "Confirming roll", like with D&D crit rolls. So if you hit the head you must roll another attack roll against the mech with all the standard modifiers and if you succeed you hit the head if you fail you hit the center torso.
4. I would defiantly use the roll per damage point rules for this.
5. All other rule for AS should be left alone and allow to function as written.

Register