Author Topic: Enhanced LPPC or what seemed logical  (Read 1693 times)

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
Enhanced LPPC or what seemed logical
« on: 14 November 2019, 14:51:23 »
I always thought the LPPC was an odd development, the ER PPC existed, so developing ones that didn't need field inhibitors made since, examples of compact, high damage cannons were available, so they new the goal of something better than essentially an e-er ml was possible. So beyond not making LLs or IS ERLLs obsolete (but guess what, weapons development obsoletes older weapons, thats how things work) I never really understood its damage profile.

So here's perhaps a "next step" LPPC.

Weapon                   Type      Heat     Damage     Minimum   Short Medium  Long   Ammo   Tons   Criticals
Enhanced Light PPC        DE        8         7          -       1-6    7-12   13-18   -       3        2

Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Enhanced LPPC or what seemed logical
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2019, 15:45:50 »
interesting. 42% the mass for 70% the damage (and no minimum). the extra range makes me consider it over a standard large laser

an alternative (or parallel) route would be to follow the IS ERPPC range and heat increases

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2019, 16:03:43 »
interesting. 42% the mass for 70% the damage (and no minimum). the extra range makes me consider it over a standard large laser

an alternative (or parallel) route would be to follow the IS ERPPC range and heat increases
Hmm?  This one's 60% of the mass of a large laser, and 87.5% of the damage.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2019, 17:05:44 »
Just drop the min range would help out the Light PPC a lot.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2019, 20:45:16 »
Hmm?  This one's 60% of the mass of a large laser, and 87.5% of the damage.

I should have clarified. The 42/70 is in comparison to the standard ppc

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2019, 20:59:48 »
I'd have thought the next logical development was simply an ER Light PPC with the ER PPC's range (and lack of minimum), same damage (5) and 50% more heat (8).  This Enhanced version could be a step after that...

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2019, 21:27:55 »
I'd have thought the next logical development was simply an ER Light PPC with the ER PPC's range (and lack of minimum), same damage (5) and 50% more heat (8).  This Enhanced version could be a step after that...
Ditto with the ERLPPC.  Maybe the "Enhanced PPCs" are IS versions that capture some of the damage of the Clanner ERPPC, but without capturing its range?  That's sort of the vibe I'm getting from this.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2019, 15:53:41 »
I'm actually saying that the LPPC wasn't a logical development, but this is closer to what I thought an LPPC should have first been.

As for the people looking at percentages, yes, but again development obsoletes something.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2019, 16:40:55 »
I'm actually saying that the LPPC wasn't a logical development, but this is closer to what I thought an LPPC should have first been.

As for the people looking at percentages, yes, but again development obsoletes something.
LPPCs seem pretty logical to me.  Take a weapon that's basically a one-of-its-kind, and eventually realize that it might be a good idea to downscale the thing (or upscale in the HPPC's case).  A LPPC would have been a neat trick to put on a Commando or Flea, for instance.  The only thing about them that didn't really make sense to me is that it took until 3064 for anyone to come up with the idea.

I figure if there were ways to get around the Field Inhibitor issue without ER-ifying or Snubbifying them, we'd have seen them on a vanilla PPC before the Light already.  This feels more like a variant of a basic, no-frills, vanilla LPPC rather than a "first iteration", so to speak.

Not that it's a bad thing.  I do like the idea of an IS "Enhanced" PPC upgrade that adds heat for damage instead of range.

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2019, 23:01:18 »
Not that it's a bad thing.  I do like the idea of an IS "Enhanced" PPC upgrade that adds heat for damage instead of range.

That's what the HPPC is supposed to be.  It's also heavier, but we don't know that the CERPPC isn't the same ratio heavier than a Clantech 10 damage ERPPC would have been.  Such a weapon would be rendered obsolete by the CERLL due to the range gap, possibly before it got as far as field trials so it's no surprise we don't see it in the weapons list.