Author Topic: Fighting Pirannha Graphics.  (Read 3977 times)

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
Fighting Pirannha Graphics.
« on: 04 December 2016, 08:50:10 »
OK, so I've bought some and after reading the instructions of all the other things I'd need to apply them, they're just sitting there. Someone on FB mentioned not exactly following the instructions and just throwing some clear over the mini when the decal has dried. However, the instructions frown upon lacquer based sealant.

Has anyone applied these and can maybe point me to the products I need online?
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Fighting Pirannha Graphics.
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2016, 13:00:45 »
Use Tamiya's MARK FIT

I place a bit where I want the decal, apply normally, allow to dry a bit and lightly brush with the MARK FIT later, and seal coat after as normal.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2016, 13:02:12 »
Do you seal with a lacquer clear coat too? Do you think it would be bad that I've already applied a clear coat before applying the decal?
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2016, 13:04:32 »
Shouldn't be...I've applied all sorts of coats before and after decals with no issues.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2016, 13:06:22 »
I just put one on with only water while I wait for the setting solution to arrive and it looks solid! I also noticed something, I don't really need to cut around the contour of the decal do i? The decal itself separates from the paper no matter how it was cut?
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2016, 13:18:06 »
Weird, as the decal is printed onto the plastic, but you don;t need to wait for the solution, if you have a hobby shop local to where you live you should be able to buy it anywhere, Models and Trains are sold. (Not WALMART or anywhere like that, but a tru craft/hobby store).

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2016, 13:19:09 »
Weird, as the decal is printed onto the plastic, but you don;t need to wait for the solution, if you have a hobby shop local to where you live you should be able to buy it anywhere, Models and Trains are sold. (Not WALMART or anywhere like that, but a tru craft/hobby store).

So you do need to cut around the exact contour of the decal?
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2016, 13:23:26 »
Nope, never have...usually just cut it in a semi square and then place in water for about 10 secs, pick up with tweezers, slide off, place, and use an older paintbrush to place on the decal to just soak the water, wait for dry, and then lightly paint again with the MARKFIT to 'glue' into place, and then clear coat overtop.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2016, 13:34:12 »
Nope, never have...usually just cut it in a semi square and then place in water for about 10 secs, pick up with tweezers, slide off, place, and use an older paintbrush to place on the decal to just soak the water, wait for dry, and then lightly paint again with the MARKFIT to 'glue' into place, and then clear coat overtop.

Then you would have gotten a kick out of me trying to cut out the contour of a Gamma regiment decal. I was like, "WTF, this is impossible!" - LOL

I figured it out when the Wolf Dragoon came apart in a perfect circle even though my contour was subpar. lol
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2016, 19:04:24 »
When dealing with FPG's decals I;

Paint the mini, cut the decal, apply a some Testor's Decal Set (this stuff basically cleans any oil that may have been deposited from my fingers. Some people use a white vinegar and water mix). Once the decal is where I want it, I apply some Micro Sol. This stuff makes the decal soft, and allows you to push it down into the panel lines, and helps a decal adhere to curved surfaces. Then I seal with acrylic and go over that with Testor's Dullcoat. 

Technically you could get away without the Decal Set and/or the Micro Sol (or their equivalents), but they do make that little bit of difference and every little bit helps.

When cutting the decal, you need to know what kind of paper it is on. Basically there are two type: Clear and White. When cutting clear decals, you really don't have to be too careful. Any excess will be pretty much transparent. When cutting white, you have to cut every curve and edge close... The advantage of white decal paper is that the colors of the decal are more vibrant, with Clear, the background color bleeds through... To the best of my knowledge, the majority of FPG's stuff is on clear, and maybe only decals that are in some part suppose to be white (like certain of their numbers) will be on white.

As for the Wolf's Dragoons decals coming out a perfect oval, they do not pre-cut the decals, so that was all you. But since the decals are on clear, you could have cut them as a square, and the rest would just disappear against your paint job.

Caz

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2016, 19:17:27 »
Hot water also works instead of Micro Sol. I cut the decal, use a little blutak on the back to stick it on the end of one paintbrush, dip for about 10-15 seconds, then take it out & use another brush to transfer the decal to the mini
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Straw Boss

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2016, 22:32:44 »
0. Assemble, prime, and paint miniature.

1. Trim the decal as close as possible (regardless of sheet color) as this helps it lay flat

2. I put the decal in a dish of hot water (hot from tap is fine) for about 20 seconds

3. i pick the decal up with brush (never tweezers as the hot water makes it super fragile)

4. i place it applying water periodically to keep it moving.

5. when the decal is placed where i want i give it a few moments to dry then i add Model Master decal solvent solution and let it dry.

6. i hit the whole mini with testors dull coat.

looks like this http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55528.0
« Last Edit: 04 December 2016, 22:43:33 by Straw Boss »
Rule #1 : Never get into a fair fight.

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2016, 06:41:00 »
For decals (no matter what brand), I use Future floor wax. Use a light coat where you're going to apply the decal, then place the decal, let it dry and then cover with another thin layer. After it dries, hit the whole mini with testors or tamiya dull coat. Voila, no shine!

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2016, 09:58:30 »
For decals (no matter what brand), I use Future floor wax. Use a light coat where you're going to apply the decal, then place the decal, let it dry and then cover with another thin layer. After it dries, hit the whole mini with testors or tamiya dull coat. Voila, no shine!

I couldn't find any futures floor wax, when you look it up Pledge Floor Care comes up. So that's what I bought way back when I first started painting, but never used it cause I didn't want it to thin paints. This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Multi-Surface-Finish-27-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B0034792NM/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480949834&sr=8-4&keywords=future+floor+wax

Could it do the same thing?
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2016, 11:27:53 »
I couldn't find any futures floor wax, when you look it up Pledge Floor Care comes up. So that's what I bought way back when I first started painting, but never used it cause I didn't want it to thin paints. This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Multi-Surface-Finish-27-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B0034792NM/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480949834&sr=8-4&keywords=future+floor+wax

Could it do the same thing?

Close.  Make sure you are getting the PLEDGE that has the Future Logo on it like this:

Pledge bought out Future, but you don't actually thin paints with this, but rather, think...PAINT you mechs/units with this after the painting is done, give a nice protective coat to the mech.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2016, 11:41:52 »
I literally could NOT find that anywhere on Amazon.
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2016, 11:49:52 »
Do you have a Walmart, or a Grocery/Supermarket near you? It is in the floor cleaning aisle.

Again, not knowing where you live, I found this for Canada:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pledge-floor-wax-795-ml-0530350p.html

But a search on Home Depot's US Site shows:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pledge-27-oz-Future-Shine-Wood-Floor-Finish-6-Pack-Discontinued-71857/204236277

So, not sure if the product itself is discontinued or just the 6-pack packaging is discontinued.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2016, 12:00:35 by NeonKnight »

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2016, 12:12:46 »
Yeah, it says discontinued. lol
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2016, 15:22:44 »
It is just a name change here is the good link
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pledge-Premium-27-oz-Multi-Surface-Floor-6-Pack-11182/204236297
https://www.pledge.com/en-us/products/pledge-floor-care-multi-surface-finish

Bought like 6 bottles a month ago.  had to use them to seal and shine some new tile floors.  Keap a spare to replace one of my old bottles.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2016, 19:20:11 »
Any decals model IR mini I

1 gloss clear coat the item
2 cut the decal as close as I can
3 soak in room temp clean water
4 use a decal set once in place do it sits all the way down
5 dull clear coat the model / mini

The gloss and dull coats add protection layers to the models paint job the dull coat protects the decal

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2016, 20:24:37 »
Honestly, I'd had this mini painted for weeks, and with a lacquer clear coat applied. I put the decal on using only water and it looked great. I applied some of that floor wax stuff I'd bought and it still looks fine.
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2016, 22:23:39 »
Looks like you found it under the new name. I didn't realize they had changed the name - I've been using the same bottle I bought back in 2005! Anyway, the stuff has a thousand uses - I really like it for sealing and protecting paint and decals. You can also use it with paint for translucent effects and as a way to improve flow when you're using washes. It's also perfect when using oil paints to add dirt, grime and rust streaks - it makes the oil paints flow much better.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2016, 22:25:28 »
So you use this stuff to seal the paint jobs? Instead of a spray-based lacquer clearcoat?
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2016, 23:24:53 »
I believe it is liquid acrylic, so I don't see why you couldn't use it to seal your minis. I prefer something like Krylon's Crystal Clear Gloss spray on, but that is just my preference....

A trick with sealant you might not know about... Gloss sealant is thicker than flat finishes. So hit the mini with a good coat of gloss, then knock it down with your favorite flat (I use Testor's Dullcoat). This two layer method will warn you when the outer seal layer has worn through (due to handling over time) by getting shiny and give you a chance to hit it again. If you keep up with it, you won't have to worry about your paint getting rubbed off.

Another use for Future is Magic Wash. 1 part Future to 4 parts water. Then use this instead of water when making a wash. It is suppose to help the paint pigment settle into the low areas.

Caz

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 06 December 2016, 06:13:39 »
Like Cazaril says - use the future to initially seal your paint job when you're finished. Then add a coat of future, then your decals, then future once again. By the way, I apply it with an airbrush. Then after the decals are sealed, I'll add in oil paint based dirt and rust streaks. Once that dries, I'll finish with a flat lacquer sealant.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 06 December 2016, 11:20:22 »
So these are the steps we're going with:

1. paint the miniature.
2. apply that floor wax stuff where the decal goes.
3. apply the decal.
4. apply more wax on the decal.
5. Allow to dry.
6. apply lacquer sealer.

Seem ok?
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

Dak

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 06 December 2016, 11:33:18 »
That sounds great. Pretty much my method.

Dak

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 06 December 2016, 15:52:39 »
I made a video on how I apply my decals. Hope this helps you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWxNSIooIF4

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 06 December 2016, 16:29:08 »
I made a video on how I apply my decals. Hope this helps you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWxNSIooIF4

Thank you for sharing! I already ordered that solution before realizing that Pledge could be used in place of it. I'll use it until it runs out!
Col. Archer Wirth
25th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards