Author Topic: AToW Character Generation Spreadsheet (Redux)  (Read 48426 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: AToW Character Generation Spreadsheet (Redux)
« Reply #120 on: 26 October 2022, 19:43:22 »
Sorry... I just saw this and it's way too close to bed time to review tonight.  Can you wait for the weekend?  I have to get up at 0400 to make it to work on time...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #121 on: 26 October 2022, 19:47:30 »
Sorry... I just saw this and it's way too close to bed time to review tonight.  Can you wait for the weekend?  I have to get up at 0400 to make it to work on time...

Sure thing. I switched the video to unlisted, so only people with this link can watch it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlnyBLG4RpM)
« Last Edit: 26 October 2022, 19:49:30 by BiggRigg42 »

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #122 on: 26 October 2022, 19:48:29 »
I accidentally put the wrong link in my last post, but I edited in the correct one.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2022, 19:51:32 by BiggRigg42 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #123 on: 26 October 2022, 20:40:16 »
Roger!  I'll check it this weekend and let you know...  :thumbsup:

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #124 on: 27 October 2022, 15:25:02 »
Does anyone know if Gigobyte, the creator of the ATOW Character Creator is still around?

I got found version 7 of his sheet and have made most of the tweeks for the 3rd printing to the formulas. Haven't tackled tiered skills yet, but I have adjusted life path points and a few other errors. I want to get the Shrapnel weapons in there as well before I share it with the world. I'd also like Gigobyte's blessing before I update what is essentially 99% their work.
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #125 on: 27 October 2022, 17:46:14 »
Sorry, haven't heard from him in a while.  There was an effort at a Java thing like SSW once, but it was Russian and seemed to disappear after the AV sites started flagging the place it was hosted as malware.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 27 October 2022, 19:13:17 »
Roger!  I'll check it this weekend and let you know...  :thumbsup:

Don't spend too much time on it. I may end up making a new video for your spread sheet after you update it. I will need to use Excel for my thesis coming up and will need a way to get reacquainted with it.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #127 on: 27 October 2022, 19:14:04 »
Does anyone know if Gigobyte, the creator of the ATOW Character Creator is still around?

I got found version 7 of his sheet and have made most of the tweeks for the 3rd printing to the formulas. Haven't tackled tiered skills yet, but I have adjusted life path points and a few other errors. I want to get the Shrapnel weapons in there as well before I share it with the world. I'd also like Gigobyte's blessing before I update what is essentially 99% their work.

You know Tiered Skills are not in the 3rd printing, right?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #128 on: 27 October 2022, 19:39:32 »
Don't spend too much time on it. I may end up making a new video for your spread sheet after you update it. I will need to use Excel for my thesis coming up and will need a way to get reacquainted with it.
Happy to help, but I don't expect too much change to the functionality.  It will be mostly "under the hood"...  :)

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #129 on: 27 October 2022, 20:53:24 »
You know Tiered Skills are not in the 3rd printing, right?

Yeah, but Gigo had already programmed them into his sheet so tomorrow morning during a meeting that should have been an email I'm going to go hunting for the relevant formulas and take them out. I figured out how to add in weapons already when I saw the MANPADS were missing so in theory adding the Shrapnel weapons shouldn't take too long. Hoping to have it out by the end of the month.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #130 on: 28 October 2022, 09:21:16 »
Yeah, but Gigo had already programmed them into his sheet so tomorrow morning during a meeting that should have been an email I'm going to go hunting for the relevant formulas and take them out. I figured out how to add in weapons already when I saw the MANPADS were missing so in theory adding the Shrapnel weapons shouldn't take too long. Hoping to have it out by the end of the month.

Where can I find this sheet when you are done with it?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #131 on: 28 October 2022, 17:58:41 »
Yet more incentive to get 4.7 out tomorrow (work today was... challenging).  :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #132 on: 29 October 2022, 08:33:27 »
And here's v4-7!

Synopsis: The Corrected Third Printing of A Time of War removed Tiered Skills, which greatly simplified some of the logic in the spreadsheet.  While I was at it, I finally figured out how to account for SPAs without throwing off the "Surplus" column.  While the Corrected Third Printing deleted Thick- and Thin-skinned traits, I left them in and added my Infantry SPAs and Expanded TDS traits for the convenience of those who want to use them.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #133 on: 29 October 2022, 08:48:34 »
BiggRigg42: I've started watching your Ep. 7, and I'm sorry you'll have to re-do the intro parts where you're showing where to get the spreadsheet...  :-\

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #134 on: 30 October 2022, 03:34:16 »
And here's v4-7!

Synopsis: The Corrected Third Printing of A Time of War removed Tiered Skills, which greatly simplified some of the logic in the spreadsheet.  While I was at it, I finally figured out how to account for SPAs without throwing off the "Surplus" column.  While the Corrected Third Printing deleted Thick- and Thin-skinned traits, I left them in and added my Infantry SPAs and Expanded TDS traits for the convenience of those who want to use them.

I wonder why they removed the Thick- and thin-skinned traits.

Could I make a suggestion that you make a second sheet (if its easy enough) that is pure canon?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #135 on: 30 October 2022, 08:12:44 »
It's easy enough, but unnecessary I think.  The only place they appear is the data tables.

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #136 on: 30 October 2022, 09:18:33 »
Good news is I heard from Gigo and as long as he's credited he's fine with additional releases.  So without further ado, here is the ALPHA  version 8 of the Character Creator. The actual character creation should be solid and accurate. If things get wonky make sure a Life Path isn't showing as blank as there's still data there even without a visible label! It has to show "Choose XXXX" to be truly unselected, and might require scrolling up in the drop down box.

What makes it an alpha version? I'm working on the backend of the equipment (vehicles included) information to incorporate all the additions in the ATOW Companion, Handbooks Kurita & Liao, Shrapnel, and TRO: Irregulars.  Because I'm mucking with data tables, the actual equipment selection is breaking CONSTANTLY, but I'm slowly learning how it's breaking and how to fix it. If there are other canon sources for ATOW equipment stats let me know so I can include them.

Additional expansion plans would allow for alternate era tracks to be selected based on the year of play (see my list here https://bg.battletech.com/forums/roleplaying/list-of-additional-atow-module-modifications/msg1878078/#msg1878078 again if I missed some let me know), generate a character specific action cheat sheet,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-W74HePGc127Ql1kYjQYmrY-jvlncMuo/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=114899074253629812901&rtpof=true&sd=true

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #137 on: 30 October 2022, 09:42:07 »
Hmmm... it doesn't seem to be quite working right for me.  Is there a place to download the actual Excel file?  I suspect the problem is simply Google Sheets not playing with Excel.

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #138 on: 30 October 2022, 09:43:58 »
Suggest saving it locally and opening it in Excel

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #139 on: 30 October 2022, 09:51:55 »
Much better!   :thumbsup:

It's some nice work, but personally I'd rather type than scroll that much.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #140 on: 30 October 2022, 18:31:28 »
BiggRigg42: I've started watching your Ep. 7, and I'm sorry you'll have to re-do the intro parts where you're showing where to get the spreadsheet...  :-\

That's fine. Hopefully I will find time to remake it. At the least, I can make a video telling people about this.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #141 on: 30 October 2022, 19:28:28 »
Thanks brother!  :thumbsup:

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #142 on: 14 November 2022, 02:36:22 »
Hey Daryk,

How does one (Me) use this character sheet ?? I'm an idjit,  Lol  :D
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #143 on: 14 November 2022, 04:24:38 »
The instructions are in the first post, but if you have specific questions ask away!  :)

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: 14 November 2022, 05:30:33 »
Okay, Is there a blank sheet to start with ??
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #145 on: 14 November 2022, 18:09:42 »
I provided a sample to start with, as it's easier to insert rows and fill down the formulas.  BiggRigg42 has a video on how to use it too... :)

Deathknight69

• Captain
« Reply #146 on: 14 November 2022, 18:24:24 »
Okay, Cool, Thanks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #147 on: 21 January 2023, 09:38:00 »
Version 4-8 is attached!

I figured out how to calculate movement rates correctly, but it required moving Climbing and Swimming to fixed places in the skill list (so the sheet can tell if there are skill levels or not... 0 and "None" aren't the same thing).  I also added asterisks in the Data Table for the custom Traits and SPAs I added in the last version, and cleaned up the sample character (which still had some copy paste errors after all these years).  Finally, I put a "Condition Monitor" below the name/height/weight block.

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #148 on: 25 January 2023, 02:44:48 »
I noticed there was a formatting issue.

If the Custom section on the Small Ranged Weapon page is blank, there is an extra comma on the Character Sheet under Small Arms.

I think the best way to fix it, using the 1st small arms as an example, is to remove that last comma in C250 on the Character Sheet, and then on the Small Ranged Weapon page, change EN43 to
Code: [Select]
=IF(CW41="","",", "&UPPER(CW41))
And then make the appropriate change to the rest of weapons.

I am not too fond of how it repeats "Standard Barrel" and "No Accessories". I have the "Barrel" issue resolved, but I am still working on the "Accessories". Will share when I get it figured out.
Mecr KS back #244

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #149 on: 25 January 2023, 17:48:10 »
Ok, I have figured out how the "Standard Barrel" and "No Accessories". This will need the modification from above. What do you think of this?

Code: [Select]
='Small Ranged Weapons'!EO25&", "&IF('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO28="STANDARD BARREL","",'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO28&", ")&'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO31&", "&'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO34&IF(AND('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37="NO ACCESSORIES",'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40="NO ACCESSORIES"),"",", "&IF(AND(NOT('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37="NO ACCESSORIES"),'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40="NO ACCESSORIES"),'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37,IF(AND('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37="NO ACCESSORIES",NOT('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40="NO ACCESSORIES")),'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40,'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37&", "&'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40)))&'Small Ranged Weapons'!EN43
Granted, it no longer will show "NO ACCESSORIES" if none is picked, but to me that is redundant information. It now only lists what you have. This also treats what is listed in the "Corner Shot" as an accessory, If you don't have it, nothing about it shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an better way to do this.
Mecr KS back #244

Register