Author Topic: Who Wants to Help Build a War Criminal?  (Read 7876 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Who Wants to Help Build a War Criminal?
« Reply #90 on: 02 January 2020, 15:39:21 »
Just War theory is jus ad bellum.  International Humanitarian Law (IHL)/Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC) is jus in bello.  Training in the latter is a treaty obligation of the 1949 Geneva Conventions.

I checked off those death-by-power-point lectures every year too.  And the additional crap from RoE.  IMO, a lot of what is done is b/c of mass media & PR, having been in from 99-11 with a knowledge of history and dealt with the fall out of things that happened in the world I have strong opinions on it, like MAZB, that cannot discuss details outside of PMs b/c Rule #4.

IF BT is really the Renaissance/Age of Enlightenment with fresh make up, then some of the more modern Rules are out the window- especially as the Ares Conventions have lapsed.  Do you really want to try to convince me Stone's crew took average MD prisoners?  To be honest, I am not even sure I like that high-profile Blakists got Nuremberg'd.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #91 on: 02 January 2020, 15:54:59 »
I can assure you the classes where I teach aren't death by power point these days.  I don't think our students would disagree.  I came in back in '93, and have five more years to go.

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: 11 January 2020, 16:05:14 »
“Civilian casualties? You mean collateral damage?”

“They choose to surrender; I choose to keep shooting,”

“War crimes? How is securing victory criminal?”

“Prisoner up too many resources to secure; that’s why I took none,”

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 11 January 2020, 20:04:11 »
The only war criminals are those who lose the war.

Throw me to the wolves? Try it. Fool, I lead the damned pack!

The last idiots who charged me with war crimes disappeared. Funny, how that works, eh?

You cannot pass judgement on gods or generals; At war, I am no mere general.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 11 January 2020, 21:34:03 »
"oops."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 12 January 2020, 11:23:37 »

What if the laws change - is this also considered a war crime?

Well that gets to the heart of War Crimes.  Laws retroactively applied.  If you lose and are conquered, not much you could do about it.  If you win, not much interest in prosecuting your own side with existing laws, much less creating new ones.  Nobody seemed too upset about fire bombing civilian cities in WW 2 for example (Dresden, Tokyo being the most famous), though not a war crime at the time, I'm sure a segment of the west would drop their vodka and start the protests.
The Law of Land Warfare allows for a wide variety of actions that might surprise people though, of course, as I was told once, you just have to justify it in the investigation.  And some governments just dont want to hear anything that doesnt fit their preconcieved notions of right and wrong.  This includes some clowns actually in uniform.  but we digress.  More quotable quotes as a war criminal:
"It aint nuthin to kill a bus load of people"- actually a Get of Fenris quote, but Ive always like the Get's straight forward attitude.

yay Get of Frenzy.  I Kinda prefer playing Shadowlord myself.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #96 on: 13 January 2020, 10:22:34 »
Anyone say . . .

'Kill them all, God will know his own.'  A version of what was said after a massacre/war crime.

Edit-  added
'Judging by the slaughter on the battlefield it was suggested that the soldiers simply went berserk.'
« Last Edit: 13 January 2020, 10:32:09 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BoloMKIV

• Private
« Reply #97 on: 18 January 2020, 01:07:13 »
The story I heard regarding your first quote was it was a Catholic priest giving advice to a military commander during the Cathar Heresy.  They were under orders to kill all the Cathars in the city and the commander wanted to know how to tell the city inhabitants apart, to which the Priest said, "Kill them all, God will know his own".

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #98 on: 18 January 2020, 02:05:50 »
"Massacre?  I fought a war - a successful war - and you're going on about massacres?"

"The only crime was we didn't kill all of them when my men had the chance."
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #99 on: 20 January 2020, 10:14:24 »
The story I heard regarding your first quote was it was a Catholic priest giving advice to a military commander during the Cathar Heresy.  They were under orders to kill all the Cathars in the city and the commander wanted to know how to tell the city inhabitants apart, to which the Priest said, "Kill them all, God will know his own".

Yeah, to me its one of the more horrifying quotes out there . . . but religious wars get pretty nasty- religious wars, civil war, and peasant/slave rebellions kind of tie for 'biggest war crime creator.' 
Colt Ward

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #100 on: 24 January 2020, 18:44:31 »
Civil wars and strife are the worse as they are so much more personal.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

General308

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 24 January 2020, 22:25:08 »
"It's Not My Fault"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 25 January 2020, 02:42:22 »
"They can only condemn us for what we have done, because we did it, and because we did it, we succeeded, and they are alive as a result."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #103 on: 25 January 2020, 03:03:34 »
"I was following orders." 

Or...

"You don't understand... They were not as human as you or I."
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #104 on: 29 January 2020, 13:03:16 »
My character isn’t exactly on the moral high ground either. I’m trying to hammer the following into something a bit better:

“ComStar lost so many at Tukayyid. For what? To leave them be? Word of Blake won’t make that mistake.”

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #105 on: 29 January 2020, 13:16:21 »
My character isn’t exactly on the moral high ground either. I’m trying to hammer the following into something a bit better:

“ComStar lost so many at Tukayyid. For what? To leave them be? Word of Blake won’t make that mistake.”

'Tukayyid's losses still haunt me.  By Blake, the Star League should plant them all.'  Lol, pre-67 quote and a peak into someone who turns their hatred of the Clans to the member states of the Star League for their betrayal.
Colt Ward

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #106 on: 30 January 2020, 12:29:45 »
'Tukayyid's losses still haunt me.  By Blake, the Star League should plant them all.'  Lol, pre-67 quote and a peak into someone who turns their hatred of the Clans to the member states of the Star League for their betrayal.

I submitted something similar to my original quote when I was done. The fact that you got my intent clearly from the quote was positive reinforcement that the quote hit the intent in the head.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #107 on: 30 January 2020, 13:07:56 »
Yeah, I was just trying to cut it down to the 15 words . . . letting my wife pick them for the toddler, lol.
Colt Ward

Register