Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 173348 times)

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Coming July 17!
« Reply #390 on: 10 July 2019, 20:40:21 »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #391 on: 10 July 2019, 20:46:11 »
I swear on my children's lives that I had that box set contents sneak peek post planned and scheduled for a WEEK to go live around 9:30 p.m. tonight.

But wow, you timed your request PERFECTLY...
most of the questions of this kind came up shortly after the announcement, and the fact i couldn't give an answer has guilt tripped me for awhile. a lot of people on the facebook groups seemed unable to give an answer beyond "more mechs and weapons, what else could you want, if you want lore go to sarna" which frankly rankled me and seemed a bad way to encourage new players. (i've read most of the novels and sourcebooks, and even i have trouble using sarna for lore purposes most of the time. expecting a new player that hasn't read all those things to know what to look for is overly optimistic)
« Last Edit: 10 July 2019, 20:56:46 by glitterboy2098 »

Springer_Prime

• Recruit
  • Ive got better things to do tonight than die...
« Reply #392 on: 10 July 2019, 20:46:29 »
I think he os suggesting Wishes should carry IWM metal minis and be freer with the rulesets they allow in store

That's exactly it.  When I asked if I could bring my friends in and play Battletech and Mechwarrior together (Table Top and RPG) they said I could not play any version of Battltech unless it was strictly in accordance with the Commando rules.  Years ago, in my friends store in Greeley Colorado we hammered out a Balanced set or tournament rules (as at the time they were all based on tonnage killed).  I was told, even if it was just among my group, I could not use that in their store.

Springer Prime

Springer_Prime

• Recruit
  • Ive got better things to do tonight than die...
« Reply #393 on: 10 July 2019, 20:49:21 »
Not quite, but close. Wishes is owned by Loren Coleman, who is also an owner of InMediaRes/Catalyst. So often the two work together for conventions around Seattle, but they are not the same company. They share one head person (Randall is not a part of Wishes). At conventions where both are present, Wishes staff never work at the Catalyst area and the reverse is also true* (*Except for Loren Coleman and his sons, who are involved with both). (Though at cons such as PAX Catalyst will store excess Wishes stock if they have room for it that Wishes doesn't have at the convention).
ah, I appropriate the clarification.  The information I gave was based entirely upon what I was told by the, Then Manager of the Wishes Store when they were in Everett Mall.

Springer Prime

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #394 on: 10 July 2019, 20:50:00 »
"more mechs and weapons, what else could you want, if you want lore go to sarna" which frankly rankled me and seemed a bad way to encourage new players.

That certainly wouldn't be my "official" answer. Sarna is great, but relying on a third party wiki to provide background is not a good way to grow. I'd point them to TRO Succession Wars, Era Report 3052 in PDF, or something like that.

But hey--I'm paving over my own big announcement. Go look, people!
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #395 on: 10 July 2019, 21:03:15 »
ok a question. i've seen this on FB more than a few times, and it warrants discussion and possibly answers from one of the Catalyst people if they aren't blocked by NDA's about it.

for people who are new to the game and pretty well served by the existing box sets as far as having mech on mech play scenarios, what does the Clan invasion set add other than just new mechs and weapons, that would encourage players to consider getting them. often cited is for example how the current box sets are a bit light on setting info and lore, and newer players asking whether the new sets will have more setting info and lore, not just on the clans but on the wars of the Innersphere and such.

personally i think it is a valid question. all the starter sets in the past have always been rather light on setting detail, not really getting much into the actual conflicts of the inner sphere beyond the abstract "which factions fight which factions" aspects.
the clan expansion sets have the potential to include info on things like the Ronin war, the War of 3039, and some of the other conflicts during the Clan invasion era (Capellan-St.ives war, the refusal war, etc) which would give the players more options for coming up with scenarios and campaigns.

also IMO it wouldn't hurt to include a version of the bare bones chaos campaign rules like those found in the recent succession wars chaos campaign PDF, so players can have the option for doing campaigns that are more than just a series of individual scenarios.

This is a valid viewpoint, especially since the succession wars have been so sparsely covered by cgl. I don’t consider directing people to FASA pdf scans good enough in this day and age, especially since the production value of the more recent products is so much more superior to even the FanPro days. A classics expansion box that focused on the 4th SW would have been a good option too. But there are advantages to framing your primary eras first and backfilling as well - alpha strike is firmly ensconced around the first half of the clan invasion and the clan box provides support for that, even if indirectly. I can see both sides of it and I what the right answer is probably boils down to personal preference

What would help tremendously at present is if one could get at least PoD of ER 3052 and 62 plus the blood of Kerensky trilogy as they all work as excellent primers to the clan invasion.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #396 on: 10 July 2019, 21:10:38 »
My body (if not really my wallet!) is ready!

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #397 on: 10 July 2019, 21:12:18 »
DAMN! That preview is nice! makes me want those books more now!
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #398 on: 10 July 2019, 21:22:35 »
* Punches wall... rent Rent RENT RENT.

Damnit... * curses rent!

TT

Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #399 on: 10 July 2019, 21:29:10 »
I'm hoping that the rulebook has rules for the Inner Sphere tech of the time period as well, and the record sheets include 3050 variants of the 'Mechs from the Beginner Box and AGoAC .
I have spoken.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #400 on: 10 July 2019, 21:40:24 »
Nah, that'll happen in the Fedcom Civil War box streatch goal.

Hopefully. Plastic Fafnir VS Sagittaire VS Akuma for the win.

[/joking]

Unless the price is completely out of line, I'll pick up a box. I'd be more stoked with a different lineup, though. Those are all mechs that have high BPV, arguably more than some are worth.

not exactly golden century either, executioner, puma and Grendel are 31st century.

Still gonna pick up a box
« Last Edit: 10 July 2019, 22:03:07 by Greatclub »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #401 on: 10 July 2019, 21:42:10 »
I'm hoping that the rulebook has rules for the Inner Sphere tech of the time period as well, and the record sheets include 3050 variants of the 'Mechs from the Beginner Box and AGoAC .

It would also match well with the advanced tech in TRO: SW which would allow you to use the vast majority of Record Sheets: Succession Wars with just the two boxes

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #402 on: 11 July 2019, 01:37:21 »
Folks here in Oz are about to get their tax-returns, and the government put through some nice big tax-cuts this year that will give us over $1000 to play around with before the regular returns are calculated.

What timing!!!  :D

BYE

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #403 on: 11 July 2019, 03:59:53 »
Thanks for the sneak peek of the Kickstarter, Cubby. It looks fantastic and I am really looking forward to supporting it!

Silverline

• Recruit
« Reply #404 on: 11 July 2019, 04:34:55 »
Folks here in Oz are about to get their tax-returns, and the government put through some nice big tax-cuts this year that will give us over $1000 to play around with before the regular returns are calculated.

What timing!!!  :D

BYE

I'm just lodging mine now, and I expect that a not-insubstantial portion of my return will be going towards plastic mechs!

The Kickstarter announcement is what finally drove me to take the plunge into TT Battletech after being a fan of the PC games for as long as I can remember, and I've been (slowly) painting up the pair from the beginner box over the last couple of weeks. The Clan 'mechs in particular hold a special place in my heart since Mechwarrior 2 was my first introduction to the universe, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on them. I'm a little disappointed that the Mad Dog isn't part of the core set, but I'd be surprised if it isn't included in the Attack Star box.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #405 on: 11 July 2019, 04:41:32 »
Sneak Peek – BattleTech: Clan Invasion Boxed Set Contents

At the heart of the BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is the Clan Invasion boxed set, an expansion to the bestselling BattleTech Beginner Box and A Game of Armored Combat boxed sets. Ready for a sneak peek?

One copy of the Clan Invasion box will be included for all backers at the $50 pledge level; additional copies can be purchased for $50 each as add-on items.

Here is what’s inside:

•   Five high-quality plastic miniatures – the reimagined Executioner, Timber Wolf, Nova, Grendel, and Adder OmniMechs;
•   Two dice, exactly like those in A Game of Armored Combat;
•   A 16-page Clan Primer, in the style of the BattleTech primer included with the recent box sets, but focused on the Clans;
•   A Clan Rulebook, expanding on the A Game of Armored Combat rulebook and introducing new rules for the Clans, their OmniMechs, and the high-powered weapons they wield;
•   A booklet of record sheets
•   A 24-page novella featuring an all-new story told from the Clan point-of-view;
•   Five pilot cards and five Alpha Strike cards, each double-sided;
•   A revised reference card, updated with the rules and stats for Clan units;
•   Two double-sided mapsheets featuring all-new battlefields;
•   One sheet of die-cut, punch out cardboard playing pieces representing each of the five OmniMechs in the box, along with terrain from the mapsheets.

The BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter goes live next Wednesday, July 17 at 1 p.m. Eastern / 10 a.m. Pacific!

This looks incredible.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #406 on: 11 July 2019, 04:54:37 »
I'm a little disappointed that the Mad Dog isn't part of the core set, but I'd be surprised if it isn't included in the Attack Star box.

It is definitely going to be included in one of those stretch goal box sets, the concept sketch for it has been shown on the artist's patreon account, and it looks absolutely fantastic!

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #407 on: 11 July 2019, 05:11:20 »
This looks incredible.

It does, but I think'd have been slightly better served with different Mechs on the covers - that's four different views of a Mad Cat.
Still economics being what they are, it's easy to understand why.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #408 on: 11 July 2019, 05:43:11 »

But why a Grendel?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #409 on: 11 July 2019, 05:44:51 »
This is a valid viewpoint, especially since the succession wars have been so sparsely covered by cgl. I don’t consider directing people to FASA pdf scans good enough in this day and age, especially since the production value of the more recent products is so much more superior to even the FanPro days. A classics expansion box that focused on the 4th SW would have been a good option too. But there are advantages to framing your primary eras first and backfilling as well - alpha strike is firmly ensconced around the first half of the clan invasion and the clan box provides support for that, even if indirectly. I can see both sides of it and I what the right answer is probably boils down to personal preference

What would help tremendously at present is if one could get at least PoD of ER 3052 and 62 plus the blood of Kerensky trilogy as they all work as excellent primers to the clan invasion.

Assuming you're talking about the late Succession Wars, the problem is that FASA already covered it in detail, so any book covering would only be catering to new players and the 3025 or bust group, and for the former new art would be required.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #410 on: 11 July 2019, 07:08:47 »
But why a Grendel?

I have no idea... Just roll with it.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #411 on: 11 July 2019, 07:47:10 »
Assuming you're talking about the late Succession Wars, the problem is that FASA already covered it in detail, so any book covering would only be catering to new players and the 3025 or bust group, and for the former new art would be required.

I’m not in the camp advocating such a thing, I simply was empathizing to the viewpoint. Personally I’m happy with the chosen direction

But consider for a second the idea that the late succession wars are “tapped out” due to extensive previous coverage. The last late succession wars sourcebook produced by FASA was 20 Year Update in 1989 with a few callbacks in scenario packs like MAC and Battle Pack: 4th Sw. Brush Wars and War of 3039 are fifteen years old already. It speaks poorly to the future demographics of the game if a new player is someone who missed our on books OOP for nearly thirty years. I started in ‘96 just after 4th ed was released and the only way I learned about much previous to the clan invasion was because my friend’s uncle had some of the late 80s stuff. A second question: what about the even more exhaustively covered by FASA early clan invasion is any more appealing to vets? If the argument is been there, done that the only universally acceptable era is 3150.

Further, a classics-based box wouldn’t be any less new-player centric than the first box. Old hands are mainly in it for the minis. I’m guessing most people here would fail a pop quiz on the contents. I think a more important question is asking what new players want from an expansion box. Are they happy with no or few new rules or equipment with the expansion being in new units and background? What expectations have their experience from playing other games with expansions created? I ask because I have no idea.

Again, I think the clan box works better with the current product line, but I think we need to reconsider philosophically about how we think about the product line in general. 
« Last Edit: 11 July 2019, 07:49:33 by Sartris »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #412 on: 11 July 2019, 08:14:17 »
The Grendel does seem like an odd choice, but its a pretty solid little mech and technically an Invasion-era machine. 

And, hey, if this gets people using more than the original four medium Clan omnis from 3050, why not give it a shot?
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #413 on: 11 July 2019, 08:19:35 »
I keep throwing my wallet at my screen, but it's not working.  Guess I'll have to wait a few more days!

Also, does anyone else think the Nova looks a little big?  Feels like our favorite little laserboat has been hitting the gym for leg day (yay, hips!), but maybe did a bit too much protein shake in the process.

Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #414 on: 11 July 2019, 08:22:33 »
It does look bigger than the daishi... did it find the 80s weightlifter roids?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #415 on: 11 July 2019, 08:24:30 »
But why a Grendel?

Clan Diamond Shark product placement.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #416 on: 11 July 2019, 08:32:01 »
It does look bigger than the daishi... did it find the 80s weightlifter roids?

That's because the Daishi is an Adder.  Though, to be fair, the Adder, Direwolf, and even Warhawk to an extent have always been the same general structure with different proportions.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2019, 08:34:58 by Gigastrike »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #417 on: 11 July 2019, 08:34:08 »
That's because the Daishi is an Adder.

Also, if you look at that rendering, the hex bases on the Nova and the Adder are larger than the ones on the Exe and the Timber Wolf, which makes me think that they aren't going to look that large in-hand. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #418 on: 11 July 2019, 08:35:53 »
This is what I get for looking at pics on mobile without my glasses

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #419 on: 11 July 2019, 08:37:08 »
I would LOVE a metal version of that Executioner, and the Gargoyle in those same lines.  The head looks more natural and not a huge target anymore!

Register