Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 173553 times)

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Coming July 17!
« Reply #420 on: 11 July 2019, 08:41:25 »
I keep throwing my wallet at my screen, but it's not working.  Guess I'll have to wait a few more days!

Also, does anyone else think the Nova looks a little big?  Feels like our favorite little laserboat has been hitting the gym for leg day (yay, hips!), but maybe did a bit too much protein shake in the process.

I wouldn't be too much concerned with scale. Compare the pic of the Summoner and Dire Wolf...one described as short and squat, the other one of the tallest Mechs around.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #421 on: 11 July 2019, 08:49:21 »
But why a Grendel?

Clearly to give the Beowulf from the FRR Box Set a playmate.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #422 on: 11 July 2019, 09:35:47 »
The Grendel does seem like an odd choice, but its a pretty solid little mech and technically an Invasion-era machine. 

And, hey, if this gets people using more than the original four medium Clan omnis from 3050, why not give it a shot?
I have a couple of metal Grendels (second hand from a lot), so I have some experience with them, and in mine opinion they are Meh in performance (compared to other Clan omnis) and have a forgettable appearance, like the last kid that gets chosen in gym class. Poor Mech, it even gets bullied by Clan Light Mechs.....

Clan Diamond Shark product placement.
Sounds legit.

Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #423 on: 11 July 2019, 09:54:51 »
But why a Grendel?

IMO its several reasons IC & OOC

IC-  It was a Shark design that appeared late in Operation Revival, and due to how the Shark's behaved with it is reasonable for it to show up with Bears, Jags, Cats, or even Vipers- less so with the Wolves or Falcons.  A player can rightly expect to plug it into any Clan they want to represent during the Invasion.

OOC -  Considering the Clan Invasion box is a expansion to the Beginner & GoAC, mechanics-wise its not something that will be OP against those IS mechs in their 3050 variants.  We get the Nova as seen here and I think we had a peak at the Stormcrow, so it leaves a few other options for profiles- fast (Ice Ferret, Phantom) and fast/jumpers (Viper).  Mongrel IMO is a better choice than the Viper, annoying +4 TH jumping with poor weapon selection for general play, because it can be more forgiving to new players introduced to advanced tech.  The Ice Ferret is too identified with the Wolves to be added along side the Adder, Timber Wolf and Dire Wolf plus it has no jumping configs for the era which means it would not be as broad in its player appeal . . . and keeps those new players away from the usual Ice Ferret D universal hammer.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #424 on: 11 July 2019, 09:55:42 »
I keep throwing my wallet at my screen, but it's not working.  Guess I'll have to wait a few more days!

Also, does anyone else think the Nova looks a little big?  Feels like our favorite little laserboat has been hitting the gym for leg day (yay, hips!), but maybe did a bit too much protein shake in the process.

Look at the Hex Bases for scale, some of the minis got blown up in the photo so you could see the details.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #425 on: 11 July 2019, 09:55:58 »
I would still take a Viper over a Grendel, but that's for another thread.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #426 on: 11 July 2019, 09:57:27 »
I like the Grendel and this mini looks especially nice!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #427 on: 11 July 2019, 10:01:06 »
OOC -  Considering the Clan Invasion box is a expansion to the Beginner & GoAC, mechanics-wise its not something that will be OP against those IS mechs in their 3050 variants.  We get the Nova as seen here and I think we had a peak at the Stormcrow, so it leaves a few other options for profiles- fast (Ice Ferret, Phantom) and fast/jumpers (Viper).  Mongrel IMO is a better choice than the Viper, annoying +4 TH jumping with poor weapon selection for general play, because it can be more forgiving to new players introduced to advanced tech.  The Ice Ferret is too identified with the Wolves to be added along side the Adder, Timber Wolf and Dire Wolf plus it has no jumping configs for the era which means it would not be as broad in its player appeal . . . and keeps those new players away from the usual Ice Ferret D universal hammer.
Those are sadly good arguments, here is to hoping for further visual improvements to the Grendel (but has already got some, but could use a lot more).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #428 on: 11 July 2019, 10:04:03 »
It may be worth considering that relative efficiency/optimization of a given Omni is arguably bad for an expansion box.  Yes, we the players know that Stormcrows, Ice Ferrets, Timber Wolves, and Dire Wolves are all some of the best things in the game at what they do and will correspondingly get picked a lot.  Throwing five of the best Omnis up against eight IS Mechs is a curb-stomping waiting to happen.  That's a serious problem for players who are not experts at the game.

These five are going to give the 8 'Mechs in the Game of Armored Combat box a good fight.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #429 on: 11 July 2019, 10:12:57 »
Huh?  IIRC the Mongrel, which weights in the same as the Ice Ferret, is a more 'efficient' design b/c engine weight vs speed . . . though its been a while since I saw those calculations and generally could care less.  I grant the fixed JJs sort of remove some of that saved weight but I think the Mongrel has better varied configs and like I said precludes the universal hammer.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #430 on: 11 July 2019, 11:14:38 »
Look at the Hex Bases for scale, some of the minis got blown up in the photo so you could see the details.

As he Said. Attached is a pic with the Nova And Adder a little rescaled (roughly) to make the bases an equalish size to the top row.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #431 on: 11 July 2019, 11:49:38 »
Now they look too small lol (gonna assume perspective issue)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #432 on: 11 July 2019, 11:52:32 »
Now they look too small lol (gonna assume perspective issue)

That picture shrunk them way too much.  The difference between bases on the Executioner and the Nova is... not close.

That said, both of them still look pretty squat; don't expect them to suddenly be as tall as even their own class machines. :P
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #433 on: 11 July 2019, 11:59:35 »
Well, the Nova and Adder both lack "waist", so they're shorter than most 'Mechs.
(Come to think of it, the Stormcrow does lack waist as well but its peculiar structure makes it tall.)

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #434 on: 11 July 2019, 12:02:11 »
I'm not one to get too worked up about Battletech miniature scaling issues; I made peace with that forever ago.  And, being a relatively technical person, I can tell the difference between two sizes of pictures from the bases.  :P

I'm just wondering how the Nova got so thick.  Compare to the old art:

See how skinny those limbs are?  Even accounting for extra midsection (hips! Yay!), this new render's been hittin' the gym.

Which is fine!  I love the new renders, and will be trying to take out a second mortgage to finance more kickin' when the time comes.
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #435 on: 11 July 2019, 14:10:25 »
I really like how with some of the new art makes me like some mechs that I otherwise did not care for.  IN particular I really like the Gladiator.  Normally I thought the design looked pretty bleh but this one looks sweet.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #436 on: 11 July 2019, 14:26:57 »
Anybody else think the Timberwolf is a bit on the chubby side?

It's not really a serious complaint, but maybe this kitty needs to cut down on the treats.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #437 on: 11 July 2019, 14:29:13 »
Anybody else think the Timberwolf is a bit on the chubby side?

It's not really a serious complaint, but maybe this kitty needs to cut down on the treats.

He stopped skipping leg day and now all the other Omnimechs won't kick sand in his face.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #438 on: 11 July 2019, 14:42:22 »
Looking at the revealed 'Mechs so far, i feel some deviate too much from the originals.
The Nova gained waist and has hulked out unnecessarily. The Mist Lynx looks more like the Sling than the original Mist Lynx, not a bad look per se but it ain't Mist Lynx. The Executioner's legs feel way too small/thin, arguably the more agile look suits its stats but... eh.

The Timber Wolf's not bad but i don't really see it as improvement over the previous model, prefer that. It is definitively a bit fat. I will call that one Fat Cat from here on now.
The Adder, Summoner, and Dire Wolf, look OK. The Stormcrow's OK but i don't like the laser re-arrangement on the arms, even if it is more sensible than the original but this is pretty minor.

The Grendel is an improvement certainly. But i never cared for the 'Mech so whatever.
The Shadow Cat looks good, it needed a new model. Though now i wish there was a model patterned after the MWDA mini, that'd go nicely with the Avalanche and Wendigo.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #439 on: 11 July 2019, 14:43:49 »
The Shadow Cat looks good, it needed a new model. Though now i wish there was a model patterned after the MWDA mini, that'd go nicely with the Avalanche and Wendigo.

The Dark Age Shadow Cat is on IWM's release schedule for this year.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #440 on: 11 July 2019, 14:45:40 »
Looking at the revealed 'Mechs so far, i feel some deviate too much from the originals.

They're clearly trying to take inspiration from the MWO models.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #441 on: 11 July 2019, 14:50:02 »
The Dark Age Shadow Cat is on IWM's release schedule for this year.
It is??? Whoah. Are there pics of that yet?

They're clearly trying to take inspiration from the MWO models.
I don't as a general rule like any MWO 'Mech looks.
At least the Classics look good and not like their MWO counterparts. EDIT Come to think of this, the Archer and Rifleman look pretty good in MWO. And the Thunderbolt's OK. They're not all bad, and certainly look better in motion, especially in HBS BattleTech as melee animations make them more dynamic looking instead of being just walking bricks.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2019, 14:52:48 by Empyrus »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #442 on: 11 July 2019, 15:00:30 »
Think allot of us are showing our age,

'It looks different, Arrrrrrgh!!!'

I gave up arguing over art preferences a long time ago. One friend of mine always thought the T-Wolf limbs looked week for a 75 tone monster, I'm sure this will shut him up.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #443 on: 11 July 2019, 15:04:39 »
Well *I* like it. <nods with vigor> <hands on hips>

:)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #444 on: 11 July 2019, 15:12:31 »
It is??? Whoah. Are there pics of that yet?

Not that I'm aware of.  Here's the schedule (note that the EMP-1A Emperor was released in the 2nd quarter due to the Scourge being delayed).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #445 on: 11 July 2019, 15:13:10 »
Think allot of us are showing our age,
Talk for yourself, i'm under 30 and relatively new to Battletech. There are many 'Mechs that can do with updated looks, i just think the Clan original Omnis don't really belong to that category.

Personally i prefer the MWIV iteration of the Timber Wolf. A bit beefier than the original but looks suitably lean still, more solid-looking missile launchers without being too flat like MWO has them. Pity there's no mini for that, but at least the Vulture III looks a lot like MWIV Vulture which looked good as well.

Not that I'm aware of.  Here's the schedule (note that the EMP-1A Emperor was released in the 2nd quarter due to the Scourge being delayed).
Thanks, gotta keep this in mind as i'm considering future Dark Age acquisitions. Future, and not anytime soon either...
« Last Edit: 11 July 2019, 15:14:55 by Empyrus »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #446 on: 11 July 2019, 15:32:37 »
IWM's metal Timber Wolves are going to continue to be available. The lovely, lovely resculpt. Mix and match!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #447 on: 11 July 2019, 15:36:43 »
IWM's metal Timber Wolves are going to continue to be available. The lovely, lovely resculpt. Mix and match!
I'm more of a "set collector", so i'll go all IWM or all plastic when it comes to the original 16. Now this is assuming all of the originals get plastics, i can understand not all them would. If there won't be all 16, then i suppose i might treat the plastics as a set in themselves.
Regardless, Clan 'Mech acquisitions have to wait for now.

And much to my surprise, i found a MWO 'Mech i absolutely prefer to the original: The Linebacker. Now, if only the 'Mech itself wasn't trash... Wolf-in-Exile nonsense.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #448 on: 11 July 2019, 15:45:08 »
Its not a Warden Wolf design?  It existed going into Revival?

So . . . these are STILL computer renderings put together for the image, plus with that angle how can you really be sure it has a waist or is really too much beefier- I looked and its possible the Nova is like the old War Dog art.
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #449 on: 11 July 2019, 15:54:06 »
Its not a Warden Wolf design?  It existed going into Revival?
Uh, right, yeah. Debuted well before the Wolf-Falcon conflict. But the design is strongly associated with the Exiled Wolves. My primary issue with the design is that it is 5 tons too heavy for its speed and subsequently as kind of terrible configurations, might as well use a Stormcrow.

As for the Nova, it is absolutely beefier than the original art or IWM model makes it. Lasers in the arms take more space, the arms themselves look a bit thicker in proportion to the body. And it got waist now, that's my biggest issue with the design. The Nova's lack of waist is an interesting visual and engineering quirk. Makes it simpler to manufacture while lowering the profile.

Register