Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 174036 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Coming July 17!
« Reply #480 on: 11 July 2019, 22:37:51 »
I wish Nova had some of the configs (or similar ones) the Grendel has. Nova has tendency to have really expensive configs (eg Prime), or lackluster ones (eg C).

And chassis vs chassis, the Grendel is certainly super compared to the Shadow Cat. The  Shadow Cat's only advantages are mildly higher top speed when using MASC, and superior payload. But i think the Grendel makes better use of its payload, though there are duds to be sure.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #481 on: 11 July 2019, 22:49:41 »
But i think the Grendel makes better use of its payload, though there are duds to be sure.

[cough] C [cough]  One ton of ammo for it's LB 10X (it's only other weapon is a medium laser). And the record sheet defaults it to cluster rounds! (Though you're allowed to change switchable ammo type)
I have spoken.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #482 on: 11 July 2019, 22:56:23 »

[cough] C [cough]  One ton of ammo for it's LB 10X (it's only other weapon is a medium laser). And the record sheet defaults it to cluster rounds! (Though you're allowed to change switchable ammo type)
Me, i'd say clusters are the better option, due to -1 to hit even if average damage is only 6, as that's also 6 headshot or TAC chances. But yeah, it was one that was in my mind.

Note that i'm inclined to consider the Shadow Cat Prime a dud, since the Gauss rifle could be replaced with an ER PPC and all kinds of stuff even after adding heat sinks. Of course there's very few Clan 'Mechs where the Gauss rifle makes more sense than an ER PPC...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #483 on: 11 July 2019, 23:08:16 »
i ran the numbers on Intro Box 2 lances vs Clan box star

by far the easiest setup:
All IS SW stock variants with 3/4 pilots - 12415
Clan Mechs prime config with 4/5 pilots - 12522

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #484 on: 11 July 2019, 23:54:25 »
I'd always figured that the Grendel C was what you got when you were being given punishment anti-tank duty.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #485 on: 12 July 2019, 00:45:09 »
6 more days until my CC dies from me trying to throw it at my screen. Sooo much new shiny!

36 days - you pay at the end of the campaign.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #486 on: 12 July 2019, 01:15:34 »
I'd always figured that the Grendel C was what you got when you were being given punishment anti-tank duty.

Given it's a clan mech, it could also be intended for trials against lesser opponents, or theoretically better ones, because institutionalizing the goal of chasing glory frequently results in intentionally making bad decisions.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #487 on: 12 July 2019, 04:10:45 »
I really like the redesigns of all the new Clan Mechs, and I think the inclusion of the waist on the Nova is great, it makes the Mech look more like a combat machine rather than a backyard hobby kit.

Mindwiper

• Corporal
    • German Clan Wolf
« Reply #488 on: 12 July 2019, 04:40:20 »
Interesting how different the new designs can be received. My first impression of the 3d renders was: Whooo, greeeaat!!
Now, after looking closer, I can't really stand or just like them anymore.
They are too close to the MWO brickcommander mechs.
With all their platings and bloated up bodies and limps they give an impression of an athlete who stopped training after he retired (Maradonna anyone?). They got the fatcure. Where is the agility feeling? 

Hopefully the real plastics will be a bit more slender. For now they look like toys for hands of a 3-6 year old.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2019, 05:52:09 by Mindwiper »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #489 on: 12 July 2019, 07:31:27 »
I keep throwing my wallet at my screen, but it's not working.

You're doing it wrong. You turn on the webcam and hold the credit card up to it.*  ;)

I'm not one to get too worked up about Battletech miniature scaling issues; I made peace with that forever ago.  And, being a relatively technical person, I can tell the difference between two sizes of pictures from the bases.  :P

I'm just wondering how the Nova got so thick.  Compare to the old art:

See how skinny those limbs are?  Even accounting for extra midsection (hips! Yay!), this new render's been hittin' the gym.

Exactly. The Nova had to beef up its legs to support the new stronger torso. (Muscle is denser, and thus heavier.) Then it had to increase the arm workout because symmetry is desirable.

One friend of mine always thought the T-Wolf limbs looked week for a 75 tone monster, I'm sure this will shut him up.

What's he complaining about? 75 tones gives you fifteen pentatonic octaves of firepower!

*This is a joke. Please nobody do this.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2019, 07:36:59 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #490 on: 12 July 2019, 08:56:40 »
The IS mechs look really nice, perhaps a bit chunky. The Clan mechs moreso.

Art evolves and in many ways Battletech is just as much about the art of the models as it is about the mechanics of the game and the story of the fictional universe.

Looking at other miniature companies. GW focuses heavily on the art. Hell their terminators couldn't actually fit in the armor unless wearing terminator armor moves your shoulders 6 or 12 inches upward. But they look cool so, they go with it.

Privateer Press has a number of models that just look cool or are entirely impractical.

Battletech's art and Iron Wind Metal's figures have evolved too. Away from Robotech and Crusher Joe material and inspired looks, to what we see today. In between was an anime influenced period that I call the "Gun Tumor" phase. Where the mechs looked pretty bad (in my opinion) and only the "rule of cool" could justify barrels so exposed, oversized and prevalent.

Today is a nod to the origins of our beloved game's miniatures and art with a focus on at least the potential for looking "real," or at least possible and modestly rational. These mini's certainly have some compromises to make them miniatures and not just art or 3D models.

The "MWO look" is the beginning of this renaissance in Btech art and so you see some strong similarities. Of course, because some of those artists are the same (I think) you would expect that.

Now what bothers me is that with a few exceptions, I thought I was done buying models for several years. I have precisely what I want to make up the units I envision. Yes the odd miniature is coming and a new book will come out that I might want. Now I have to work these in. What a TERRIBLE BURDEN! ::)

I will back this if for no other reason than to support the game I love. I say that and I really dislike some of the plot choices in the last say 20 years (Jihad onward) that and the "gun tumor" period almost made me quit.   MWO and Mekwars 3025 brought me back to the hobby. I think this shows there is a chance for Btech to remain viable after old Ogre's like me pass on. So I'll put some money where my all too big a mouth is.  Worse comes to worse, my younger boys will have some plastic robots they can play with. (8 and 9, just a bit too young to play Btech in earnest. Just starting to teach them strategy games)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #491 on: 12 July 2019, 10:29:16 »
When i saw the picture of the 5 Clan Mechs, i thought Adder was a Daishi from the angle (before i read what it was.)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #492 on: 12 July 2019, 10:31:48 »
yeah, same. i did go back and look at the daishi render and there will be no mistaking them for each other on the table. the daishi will be a big boy.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #493 on: 12 July 2019, 11:33:59 »
I'm really liking the look of all the new sculpts, especially the IS unseen.  However, I intend to purchase the clan box to support the game and community.

Cheers,

Mad

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #494 on: 12 July 2019, 11:36:13 »
I'm really liking the look of all the new sculpts, especially the IS unseen.  However, I intend to purchase the clan box to support the game and community.

Cheers,

Mad

Same here. I personally couldn't care less for the Clans, but I know there are people who have been champing at the bit for this product for literally years, so I'd like to do my part to help them out :) Not to mention, i want to get the IS Classics  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 12 July 2019, 11:38:39 by Pat Payne »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #495 on: 12 July 2019, 12:37:57 »
Gotta say, these look far, far better than the blocky, poorly detailed, “shut down in the hangar”-posed CityTech 2E OmniMech sculpts.

I’ll be kicking for at least two sets.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mindwiper

• Corporal
    • German Clan Wolf
« Reply #496 on: 12 July 2019, 14:16:21 »
hut down in the hangar”-posed CityTech 2E OmniMech sculpts
of course they don't. It's 25 years later. Some progress should be made during this amount of time.  :D

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #497 on: 12 July 2019, 15:03:23 »
Injection molding has come further, but did the CityTech sculptor have to connect their arms to their thighs? 

The earlier 3E main box minis were multi-part on sprues and looked substantially better in the same era.  (Though they did meld the Griffin’s arm to its crotch and put the Shadow Hawk’s gun upside down on the wrong side of the backpack)

Just wanted to say that these models have both good tech and good sculpting.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Lanothe

• Private
« Reply #498 on: 12 July 2019, 18:16:44 »

So excited.

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #499 on: 13 July 2019, 01:12:57 »
Are the Wasp and Rifleman going to be in the Inner Sphere Battle Lance pack? The Phoenix Hawk and the Warhammer are mentioned and it makes sense when compared to the units presented in the 1st - 3rd editions of Battletech. With some of the Unseen issues resolved ( thankfully with HG's suit getting slapped down in court) by the way the Nuseen as a whole for the 14 affected designs look ( hot by the way and a fan of the extra detailwork each Mech has from the updating to the appearances ), the only other units to be done would be the Ost series and the Longbow - OW.

Merely a question on my part and not trying to speculate...

Sartris, what waisted Yeoman fan art do you speak of? I would like to see what it looks like too...

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #500 on: 13 July 2019, 01:49:58 »
Are the Wasp and Rifleman going to be in the Inner Sphere Battle Lance pack? The Phoenix Hawk and the Warhammer are mentioned and it makes sense when compared to the units presented in the 1st - 3rd editions of Battletech.

We don't know any announced specifics yet on what is where.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #501 on: 13 July 2019, 05:35:31 »
It would be nice if we could get the Phoenix Hawk as well.

Hope they have some sort of KS exclusive or special offer.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #502 on: 13 July 2019, 06:21:45 »
 :D July 13 2019  :drool: :drool: :drool: 4 more days .

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #503 on: 13 July 2019, 06:25:34 »
It would be nice if we could get the Phoenix Hawk as well.

Hope they have some sort of KS exclusive or special offer.

fwiw its 3D model appeared on Scroggins' patreon - but that doesn't mean it'll be part of the Kickstarter

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #504 on: 13 July 2019, 10:21:19 »
Sartris, what waisted Yeoman fan art do you speak of? I would like to see what it looks like too...

Third result when googling Battletech yeoman

« Last Edit: 13 July 2019, 10:39:08 by Sartris »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #505 on: 13 July 2019, 10:29:52 »
Was meant to be posted in a different thread?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #506 on: 13 July 2019, 10:35:29 »
Edit: I didnt notice the thread had jumped a page so I didn’t see the new replies in between. Added quote above for clarity
« Last Edit: 13 July 2019, 10:40:10 by Sartris »

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #507 on: 13 July 2019, 10:36:28 »
Third result when googling Battletech yeoman

Oh, that has a lot of possibilities ( I still have one to build for my Blakists 😈. Someday I'll get it done.  ) ... Thanks Sartris.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #508 on: 13 July 2019, 10:41:36 »
I use that picture in my MML images dump for the Yeoman. Dress for the job (or in this case sculpt) you want to have

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #509 on: 13 July 2019, 10:48:25 »
Edit: I didnt notice the thread had jumped a page so I didn’t see the new replies in between. Added quote above for clarity

Ah, that makes sense.

Register