Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 174119 times)

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Coming July 17!
« Reply #990 on: 17 July 2019, 19:05:15 »
To be honest, getting the rest of the Founding of the Clans trilogy might be the most exciting thing about this campaign.

(guys, PoD copies, por favor?)

I second this Print on Demand request if it's possible. It's so nice to have physical copies of these books.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #991 on: 17 July 2019, 19:10:32 »
My only question is how much do I throw at this?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #992 on: 17 July 2019, 19:12:07 »

And what a question it is! Same boat here.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #993 on: 17 July 2019, 19:12:58 »
Enough to get us from plastic Turkina to plastic Night Gyr.  :))

BYE

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #994 on: 17 July 2019, 19:13:28 »

*laughs* The more I'm seeing announced the more I'm starting to wonder how much to throw down now. All those wonderful Lance/Star packs! :drool:

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #995 on: 17 July 2019, 19:23:14 »
I'm at $265 so far, so this can only go up.  :D

BYE

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #996 on: 17 July 2019, 19:25:55 »

I'm keeping it on my credit card with the $500 limit, and right now keeping my pledge manager at $150.

Because I have a downpayment for a new home sitting in my account, and I don't want this anywhere near it.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #997 on: 17 July 2019, 19:30:05 »
I wonder if they could add a Leviathan III metal sculpt to the add-on list if they hit over the Half-Million mark?

I'd pay for one... IIRC it 'twas a Con Exclusive mini...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #998 on: 17 July 2019, 19:31:05 »
Dear CGL Team:

Thank you for including a retailer tier.
The gesture is appreciated and we're going to put our money where our mouth is.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #999 on: 17 July 2019, 19:33:10 »
I'm really hoping that this meets the $490,000 mark.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1000 on: 17 July 2019, 19:37:24 »
I'm really hoping that this meets the $490,000 mark.

It most likely will. It hasn't even been 12 hours lol

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1001 on: 17 July 2019, 19:39:52 »
This will likely end between 1-1.5 mil by the 17th of Aug.

Already at 424k so they might want to get the next set of stretch goals ready.

RomulusDC

• Corporal
« Reply #1002 on: 17 July 2019, 19:41:08 »
I was hoping for another point of Elementals in the 300-400k range to eventually work up to a full star of elementals in the expansion box.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1003 on: 17 July 2019, 19:43:33 »
That would be nice, but even two is good. Still have plenty of the old Ral Partha elementals from long long ago.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1004 on: 17 July 2019, 19:45:24 »
This will likely end between 1-1.5 mil by the 17th of Aug.

Already at 424k so they might want to get the next set of stretch goals ready.

How much is too much though? If all of these were in the works already and this is just speeding things along, that's great. But a constant stream of more and more stretch goals is what makes a lot of the Kickstarter failures...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1005 on: 17 July 2019, 19:54:01 »
How much is too much though? If all of these were in the works already and this is just speeding things along, that's great. But a constant stream of more and more stretch goals is what makes a lot of the Kickstarter failures...
I'd add unmanageable stretch goals to your description but otherwise I agree.

I was just attempting to figure out what add-ons I'm going to add on and from what pledge level makes the most sense for me.  Frustrating that effort is the guessing game that "booming" Kickstarters present by continuing to add stretch goals.  Robotech RPG Tactics had this issue amongst others.

So I guess my question for Cubby and/or TPTB would be: what's your stretch goal cut-off point going to be?

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1006 on: 17 July 2019, 20:17:08 »
I was hoping for another point of Elementals in the 300-400k range to eventually work up to a full star of elementals in the expansion box.

Same!  But at least we're getting some in an add on!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1007 on: 17 July 2019, 20:18:23 »
And now that the Big Boss is home and I got her permission (with the mandatory Eye Rolling ::)), Galaxy Commander NeonKnight is ready for Business!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1008 on: 17 July 2019, 20:18:45 »
Stepped away for a bit, trying to catch up now.

So a couple of questions for Cubby-
1)  Will Salvage boxes include mechs from the Invasion box?

Not sure, checking. We have a long list of questions heading to management tonight after rounding up everything asked here and in the KS comments. The responses will form the core of the FAQ on the KS itself.

2)  Will prototypes be shown at GenCon?  If so, I need to replace the F5 on my work computer . . .

Some may be there, but not all. Not sure which ones. I will try to get decent photos taken if I'm not there to do so myself.

3)  How are we doing on the Social Media goals?  I just checked my FB and did not see a post from BT even though I follow.

The FB post to share is the one that announced the KS at 1 p.m. So far, it has 309 shares of 500 needed.

The Twitter post to share is the same. So far it has 191 retweets of 250 needed.

Stretch Goals V are up. No graphics. Way to go, you killed their graphics guy.

He needed a much-deserved breather. Graphics version will be up eventually.

So I guess my question for Cubby and/or TPTB would be: what's your stretch goal cut-off point going to be?

Hard to answer because it's a fluid situation. We had a pretty long list of them going into this, and there are still plenty more on that list -- I'm being cagey about the number because I don't want to set a ceiling on day one. But some things have been adjusted on the fly and moved around due to the rapid funding amount.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1009 on: 17 July 2019, 20:26:49 »
I’ll be honest. I was expecting less than today’s total for the entire campaign.  As I continue to add to the rewards list I am filled with a certain level of disquiet. I don’t know how much Anthony has been working on but we are easily past the renders shared to patreon. By tomorrow we’ll be up to the better chunk of $500k. That’s a lot of stuff to produce. Getting all those vendors and authors in sync is going to be super challenging.

Still, I can’t help but be blown away by the support for the new direction of the line

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1010 on: 17 July 2019, 20:34:14 »
QUESTION: Will the tiers that give you the chance to name a character(and really, who's not going to use their own name!?  ;D ) be capped?  You're already looking at almost 500 names on day one.  Kind of diminishes the reward if it just ends up being a full page of names at the end of an era report.  Or do you have interesting plans?

Also, some kind of "if you pledge this, you're getting this" graphic or even just a list that directly spells it out is always appreciated.  Makes it clearer what add-ons I need to budget for.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

cobaltcoil

• Sergeant
  • Cry Havoc and Let Loose the Wolves/Coyotes of War
« Reply #1011 on: 17 July 2019, 20:45:18 »
Seconded on DarkSpade's post

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1012 on: 17 July 2019, 20:47:07 »
(and really, who's not going to use their own name!?  ;D )

I won’t be. That’s some pretty boring shit for me to foist on the writers

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1013 on: 17 July 2019, 20:47:22 »
They should have stretch goals like Smash a Pie into Randall's Face at GenCon, or Pelt Loren with Ice Cream Cones at GenCon. Simple, fun things that people would LOVE but that won't cause fulfillment issues.  ;D

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1014 on: 17 July 2019, 20:49:40 »

I think we are probably at the point the box itself is full, its supposed to be about the same size as the GoAC box IIRC.  Two points are good IMO, gives you a taste of what they are like.  My question is, are there 1, 3 or 5 on the base?

DarkSpade, I see each pledge level spelled out on the right side at the top of the page- you clicked on what you wanted as your pledge level.

To Charlie 6's point . . . I will be honest, I am not too worried about most of what they are throwing in for folks hitting the stretch goals since its within the scope of what they do and most of it is low volume stuff.  Everything listed they have done for general release or for Cons- and this is going to allow them to scale on swag.

Digitally released scenarios & novellas-  already had PDF exclusive stuff
Dice, tags, keychain-  Con swag and selling some dice through CGL store
Posters, maps & neoprene maps-  Again, on the current CGL store
Pilot cards & decks-  Already done for boxes since AS Lance Packs, done for AS, and in current boxes
Inclusion in canon material for individuals-  its been done, just have to hope you do not fall on a grenade when you get named

TacMap case is the only thing a bit out of what they have offered, but I have no idea what they use at Cons to carry maps

The IWM Timber Wolf, Warhammer and dropship are not a stretch for them either- they already sell dropships like that, and the mechs would just be a matter of scale . . . should look at it as news they might already have the files to make those minis.

lol . . . 1464% funded . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1015 on: 17 July 2019, 20:55:21 »
DarkSpade, I see each pledge level spelled out on the right side at the top of the page- you clicked on what you wanted as your pledge level.

I've seen kickstarters that don't fully update those as more stretch goals get unlocked.  Also, it's a great eye catcher when people see a pile of swag all together in one graphic while trying to decide what to pledge.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1016 on: 17 July 2019, 20:58:24 »
My question is, are there 1, 3 or 5 on the base?
That's a good point (heh!). Too many on a base and you get what I call the "Elemental Mosh Pit" problem.

My Elemental bases all have 3 per base. For bigger things, like Kanazuchis, I wouldn't go more than 2 per base (one looked a bit lonely).

I do hope we end up with a full star of Elementals in the core box though.

BYE

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1017 on: 17 July 2019, 21:00:54 »
Seconded on DarkSpade's post

I'd be cool with giving that up; IMO if it was a problem.

Kudos to the benefits-breakdown thread. This is a LOT of stuff and I was a little baffled at what comes in where and how.

Man, did we kill this one or what???

« Last Edit: 17 July 2019, 21:04:47 by beachhead1985 »
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1018 on: 17 July 2019, 21:02:16 »
Hard to answer because it's a fluid situation. We had a pretty long list of them going into this, and there are still plenty more on that list -- I'm being cagey about the number because I don't want to set a ceiling on day one. But some things have been adjusted on the fly and moved around due to the rapid funding amount.
Fair enough and completely understandable.
To Charlie 6's point . . . I will be honest, I am not too worried about most of what they are throwing in for folks hitting the stretch goals since its within the scope of what they do and most of it is low volume stuff.  Everything listed they have done for general release or for Cons- and this is going to allow them to scale on swag.
Early Kickstarter enthusiasm is fine but I've seen that too during Coolest Cooler, Robotech (RRT), and DUST: Tactics.  Since only one of those turned out to be slightly less than a fiasco I'll probably bring this up again around the midpoint if there hasn't been an update or FAQ entry for it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1019 on: 17 July 2019, 21:04:40 »
assuming the suits are sized similar to the current IWM ones, i'd guess they'll go the MWDA route and do a stand of 2-3 suits per base. that is all that would fit the mecha sized hexbases.

Register