Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 173348 times)

norge71

• Recruit
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is LIVE
« Reply #1260 on: 18 July 2019, 18:15:39 »
I think I could support an unPhoenixed StineRhino.

I'm not a fan of the redesign.

Ditto

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1261 on: 18 July 2019, 18:18:08 »
Or bias. I already know how awesomely awesome the Dragoons are. My Jade Falcon heart yearns for less wolves.

How about a story or stories from the FRR perspective, which we never really got. FRR could use some love. Desperate holding actions, bitter defeats, despair; you know something different. Rather than more wolves. Just throwing it out there.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just don’t care that much so you can be right. Whatever the focus I’m not a huge stackpole fan

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1262 on: 18 July 2019, 18:29:56 »
Score!  I can actually get some Snow Raven dice and such!

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1263 on: 18 July 2019, 18:32:54 »
@ Cubby

1 - Could you kindly investigate the possibility of having the 5 x Clan Mechs from the Clan Invasion Box Set, made available separately as a Clan Star add-on (similar to how you have done so for the Beginner and AGoAC Box Sets), so that those who wish to have multiples of those Mechs, can do so without having to purchase multiple Clan Invasion Box Sets...I imagine that there are a significant amount of people who would like to be able to purchase multiples of the Timber Wolf.

2 - Could you guys also investigate the possibility of having a fulfilment centre in Australia to service backers from Australia and New Zealand more reasonably in terms of shipping costs. Having the pledges freight-shipped from China to a fulfilment centre in Australia to then be distributed to us down here, would be cheaper for us than having them freight-shipped to the US and then air-mailed to us down here.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1264 on: 18 July 2019, 18:34:46 »
Question.

I guess I had made some assumptions that aren't necessarily warranted. I had been assuming that I was getting a Clan Character name canonized, since the focus was on the clans with this kickstarter (clan omnis, clan ranks for tiers, etc). Is it equally likely that I would wind up some filthy spheroid?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1265 on: 18 July 2019, 18:36:59 »
Who'd have thunk Melbourne and Sydney were #2 and #4 respectively!

Probably due to Australia's population base being more concentrated in the major cities (especially the East Coast) than other countries...

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #1266 on: 18 July 2019, 18:40:19 »
Interesting statistics:

I'm more shocked by Madrid frankly, seeing how there's really no BT products released in Spanish that I am aware of.
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #1267 on: 18 July 2019, 18:43:30 »
Question.

I guess I had made some assumptions that aren't necessarily warranted. I had been assuming that I was getting a Clan Character name canonized, since the focus was on the clans with this kickstarter (clan omnis, clan ranks for tiers, etc). Is it equally likely that I would wind up some filthy spheroid?

Speaking as an equally non-informed person, I do believe they said you could provide input about what you wanted your canon char to be, and they'd try to make that work.  So....maybe not SaKhan, but a Clanner?  Likely.

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1268 on: 18 July 2019, 18:44:28 »
Question.

It seems equally likely to me. The IS is the enemy, so they need names, too. Maybe they should add another level at a higher rate to choose specific details from a limited range or something.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1269 on: 18 July 2019, 18:49:41 »
I'd imagine the canon character thing will be like something where one fills out a form for "name, occupation (select option), nationality/culture, etc.", and CGL will then use those in places they find appropriate.
I highly doubt folks get to chance to write an elaborate background for themselves, or make themselves big deals within the Inner Sphere.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1270 on: 18 July 2019, 18:49:53 »
Well, I've upped to Star Colonel and that may be it for me. 95 percent of this will eventually be available for retail, and I'm not seeing any major savings on most of it to justify getting it all at once through the Kickstarter. $20/25 looks close to retail for the lance/star packs. Double forces is a nice bonus, but I'd like to be able to choose two different packs instead of getting two of the same. The map packs and battlemats are the same price as the last ones.

I have to see if the leather-bound version of Legends is Kickstarter exclusive, if so it'll be my last add-on.

I think my 6 'Mech packs will be the Command Lance, Battle Lance, Direct Fire Lance, Fire Star, Support Star and Heavy Battle Star.

I'd love to get one of everything, but I'm not made of money unfortunately.
I have spoken.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1271 on: 18 July 2019, 18:51:21 »
Speaking as an equally non-informed person, I do believe they said you could provide input about what you wanted your canon char to be, and they'd try to make that work.  So....maybe not SaKhan, but a Clanner?  Likely.

Yeah, I don't expect to pick ranks, but my enthusiasm decreases if I'm totally rudderless on faction. It's such an important part of battletech to me.

I'd imagine the canon character thing will be like something where one fills out a form for "name, occupation (select option), nationality/culture, etc.", and CGL will then use those in places they find appropriate.
I highly doubt folks get to chance to write an elaborate background for themselves, or make themselves big deals within the Inner Sphere.

I Don't expect any of that really. I just don't want to wind up in a faction I loathe is all.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1272 on: 18 July 2019, 19:08:48 »
1 - Could you kindly investigate the possibility of having the 5 x Clan Mechs from the Clan Invasion Box Set, made available separately as a Clan Star add-on (similar to how you have done so for the Beginner and AGoAC Box Sets), so that those who wish to have multiples of those Mechs, can do so without having to purchase multiple Clan Invasion Box Sets...I imagine that there are a significant amount of people who would like to be able to purchase multiples of the Timber Wolf.

Not Cubby, but the Clan Star Pack addon is "one Clan star Pack from any packs unlocked in the campaign". The power of Cubby transcends time! :D

Yep, I decided not to go jump a level, I'll use the cash to add mini packs. ALL the minis. This will be ... expensive. But worth it.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #1273 on: 18 July 2019, 19:09:51 »

That'd be great....if true.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #1274 on: 18 July 2019, 19:13:32 »

Fortunately, my character is already a big deal so I don't have to worry about that.

Seriously, you're probably right. I wonder how many people will attach a short bio anyway ;)
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1275 on: 18 July 2019, 19:17:32 »
Fortunately, my character is already a big deal so I don't have to worry about that.

Seriously, you're probably right. I wonder how many people will attach a short bio anyway ;)

If people get to do their thing, i reckon we'll see a lot of Khan-killers or mercenary lords who conquered hundreds of systems with a lance of 'Mechs, or other shit like that.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1276 on: 18 July 2019, 19:18:05 »
I wonder if they'd take the name "Chimkin McNuggnugg" for a character name. Maybe if Loren Coleman were making the decision.

(I joke of course. If I had the extra money to spend on getting to name a character, I'd much rather spend it on lance packs)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Lynx

• Corporal
« Reply #1277 on: 18 July 2019, 19:19:51 »
Huh. Where did the Sarabus come from? I know I saw the design before, but it's somehow not searchable in MUL, so I'm sort of drawing a blank.

EDIT: Oh wait, is it the Scarabus? If so, typo in the stretch goals.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2019, 19:21:56 by Lynx »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1278 on: 18 July 2019, 19:20:53 »
Huh. Where did the Sarabus come from? I know I saw the design before, but it's somehow not searchable in MUL, so I'm sort of drawing a blank.
Scarabus, not Sarabus.
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=scarabus

Lynx

• Corporal
« Reply #1279 on: 18 July 2019, 19:23:16 »
Scarabus, not Sarabus.
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=scarabus
Yeah, broaden my search a little and found it. Seems to be a typo in the stretch goals.

.... can we rename that design to commemorate the KS?  ;D

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1280 on: 18 July 2019, 19:34:13 »
I wonder if the Phantom, Pouncer, Linebacker and Naga are anywhere waiting for us in future stretch goals?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1281 on: 18 July 2019, 19:35:12 »
I wonder if the Phantom, Pouncer, Linebacker and Naga are anywhere waiting for us in future stretch goals?

Before today I'd have pointed out that they're not in TRO: Clan Invasion.

Then we got the Star with the Pack Hunter, Peregrine, Horned Owl, Solitaire, and Incubus, and I don't know what's real anymore.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1282 on: 18 July 2019, 19:38:19 »
Hey! Look at that. A 'Mech I don't own already. The Berserker pack is great, and I don't own a Scarbarus. I wonder if the FS Omni will actually have the sword?

It's sad that Melbourne is beating Sydney. My home town should never be below that place! :D

BYE
« Last Edit: 18 July 2019, 19:44:36 by H.B.M.C. »

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1283 on: 18 July 2019, 19:46:32 »
Not Cubby, but the Clan Star Pack addon is "one Clan star Pack from any packs unlocked in the campaign". The power of Cubby transcends time!

No, hang on. I know what he’s asking here—can the five Mechs from the Clan Invasion boxed set be their own Star Pack-priced add-on, without having to buy the whole box again. That has NOT been determined at this time.

It’s been a very common request since we went live. I’ll ping management again on it.

Re: Aus/NZ fulfillment - I don’t know who / how the company is contracted with at the moment to do fulfillment, but I’ll pass along the request.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

BerserkMech

• Private
« Reply #1284 on: 18 July 2019, 19:47:36 »
The oversized metal statues stretch goals feel strange,as they are of no practical value to me. I'd rather have something I can use directly in the game. How about more free "Salvage Boxes", please?   ;)
Mechwarrior, show'em what you've bought!

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1285 on: 18 July 2019, 19:55:59 »
Re: Aus/NZ fulfillment - I don’t know who / how the company is contracted with at the moment to do fulfillment, but I’ll pass along the request.
Please do. We're a long way away, and many Kickstarters have started getting Oz or Oceania-friendly shipping hubs to reduce the very large shipping costs we face.

BYE

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1286 on: 18 July 2019, 20:05:15 »
I'll third the hope for an Aussie distribution hub.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1287 on: 18 July 2019, 20:07:55 »
Cubby,

I understand the Kickstarter Exclusives will only be available through pledging during this time period and those items are specifically listed as "Exclusive".  Everything else will be available for retail at a later date.  Is that a correct statement?  Also, do you expect the retail prices to change? 

I ask because AGoAC is the only add-on listed with a retail value of $60 for a $50 add-on.

Thanks,

Matt

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1288 on: 18 July 2019, 20:09:21 »
Given my inability to find the AGoAC box in a local store, the Kickstarter is looking like the way to get it... along with all those juicy IS lances...

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1289 on: 18 July 2019, 20:16:12 »
Cubby - how good are the odds we see renders or artwork of the rest of the mechs before the 'starter is over.