Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 173673 times)

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is LIVE
« Reply #1290 on: 18 July 2019, 20:28:53 »
No, hang on. I know what he’s asking here—can the five Mechs from the Clan Invasion boxed set be their own Star Pack-priced add-on, without having to buy the whole box again. That has NOT been determined at this time.

It’s been a very common request since we went live. I’ll ping management again on it.

Re: Aus/NZ fulfillment - I don’t know who / how the company is contracted with at the moment to do fulfillment, but I’ll pass along the request.

Yes, that's precisely what I mean Cubby...and thanks and thanks :)

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #1291 on: 18 July 2019, 20:34:01 »
The oversized metal statues stretch goals feel strange,as they are of no practical value to me. I'd rather have something I can use directly in the game. How about more free "Salvage Boxes", please?   ;)

The only thing wrong with the museum models...from my pov....is the "some assembly required" small print.

I prefer the heft of metal and the simplicity of plastic.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1292 on: 18 July 2019, 21:04:37 »
Still lobbying for the third Museum Scale to be a solid gold Urbanmech. :D

BYE

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1293 on: 18 July 2019, 21:13:13 »
What does 'Museum Scale' scale even mean? I mean it's better then using model railway gauges, but still.

For the characters I'm guessing that your characters rank will, where possible, match your backer level, which could make things interesting as the only good name I can come up with is the one I used for my character in my one Shadowun game: Nevyn from the Deverry Cycle, which means No Name.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1294 on: 18 July 2019, 21:16:00 »
What does 'Museum Scale' scale even mean? I mean it's better then using model railway gauges, but still.
Think those things are about 10cm tall, i think? Display pieces.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #1295 on: 18 July 2019, 21:23:59 »

For the characters I'm guessing that your characters rank will, where possible, match your backer level, which could make things interesting as the only good name I can come up with is the one I used for my character in my one Shadowun game: Nevyn from the Deverry Cycle, which means No Name.

I dunno, at least with a model railway gauge, I can walk into a hobby shop and say, "I need N-Scale buildings..."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1296 on: 18 July 2019, 21:29:52 »
I hope they make it to 700k.  I'd like see new novel come out.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

General308

• Captain
« Reply #1297 on: 18 July 2019, 22:15:39 »
Ok I am in.... I will figure out the options I want latter.     

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1298 on: 18 July 2019, 22:29:01 »
The oversized metal statues stretch goals feel strange,as they are of no practical value to me. I'd rather have something I can use directly in the game. How about more free "Salvage Boxes", please?   ;)

Speak for yourself, I'd love to have these gracing my bookcases.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1299 on: 18 July 2019, 22:30:15 »
nothing wrong with a little variety

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #1300 on: 18 July 2019, 22:33:30 »
Number-crunched that I had the funds without needing more student loans, so I am now a Star Colonel. I can't wait to be a redshirt in some battle.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1301 on: 18 July 2019, 22:38:00 »
what scale IS that Metal Timber Wolf Statue?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1302 on: 18 July 2019, 22:39:41 »
"museum scale"

i have no idea what that means

it's about 3.5" tall

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1303 on: 18 July 2019, 23:23:09 »
I dunno, at least with a model railway gauge, I can walk into a hobby shop and say, "I need N-Scale buildings..."
The problem is that not all trains use track of the same width. Right by my house there's wide gauge suburban tracks alongside national standard gauge, if I brought models of the trains that run along these tracks at 'N-Scale' they wouldn't run on the same track.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1304 on: 18 July 2019, 23:51:32 »
Going by the below thread, "Museum" scale is 1/144, or 12mm scale.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=8054.0

"1:144 (~12 mm (0.472 in) figure) scale modelling and miniatures are considered closely related to N scale (1:148-1:160 scale) (~10 mm (0.394 in) figure) and many pieces from both scales can be used interchangeably."

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1305 on: 18 July 2019, 23:52:21 »
based on some searching, if the new ones are the same 'museum scale' as the old ones, it might be 1/144 scale.

Ah, I see Two Guns found the same thread I did.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1306 on: 18 July 2019, 23:59:47 »
based on some searching, if the new ones are the same 'museum scale' as the old ones, it might be 1/144 scale.

Ah, I see Two Guns found the same thread I did.

Ah, so in Gunpla terms it's the same as HG or real grade.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1307 on: 19 July 2019, 00:08:10 »
Re: Aus/NZ fulfillment - I don’t know who / how the company is contracted with at the moment to do fulfillment, but I’ll pass along the request.

@Cubby,

On local gaming forums, there is no small amount of concern that if people back this Kickstarter, especially so to a large degree and end up with literally a couple dozen or more boxes of pre-packages mini's, that the shipping from the US, especially so if the CGL shipping method (aka their online store shipping) is used, then the shipping is prohibitive, and as such some people are understandably not willing to pledge if the end result is likely to be a massive kick in the nuts for shipping.

If a fulfilment centre in Australia could be secured, something which a great many kickstarters do now, I feel a much more significant number of backers from Australia and NZ would be secured.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #1308 on: 19 July 2019, 01:12:10 »
I admit, I'd prefer if if I just got an ordinary brown box with all of the minis rather than a dozen retail boxes I'm just going to throw out anyway.
Both less packaging materials wasted, but also less of my time wasted unpacking everything.

Lynx

• Corporal
« Reply #1309 on: 19 July 2019, 01:15:46 »
The problem is that not all trains use track of the same width. Right by my house there's wide gauge suburban tracks alongside national standard gauge, if I brought models of the trains that run along these tracks at 'N-Scale' they wouldn't run on the same track.
That's the problem with the IRL train gauges. If you buy two buildings in N-gauge (1/144 ~ 1/150), the buildings would work with each other.

And N-gauge/ scale works sort of nicely with Battletech. Battletech is about 1/285 to my understanding, so N gauge is 2x basically. Some of the more "scale friendly" buildings can be easily used for Battlemechs to shoot up.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2019, 01:37:01 by Lynx »

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1310 on: 19 July 2019, 01:23:56 »
I admit, I'd prefer if if I just got an ordinary brown box with all of the minis rather than a dozen retail boxes I'm just going to throw out anyway.
Both less packaging materials wasted, but also less of my time wasted unpacking everything.
Wrap them up and open one a month and pretend it's your birthday.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Silverline

• Recruit
« Reply #1311 on: 19 July 2019, 01:59:32 »

Cheers! I am also in the camp of hoping for a local Aussie distribution center, shipping is liable to be a fairly substantial amount otherwise - which is money that could instead be put towards more lovely plastic 'mechs. Currently, I have been discussing combining my pledge with those of some locals who have shown interest in picking it up in order to save on shipping, but we'd all be much happier being able to do our own separate ones.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1312 on: 19 July 2019, 03:30:36 »
Stating the obvious, but last lance has moved into the inner sphere post-invasion designs. Even the axeman isn't a classic.

Be interesting to see what else turns up.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2019, 04:20:08 by Greatclub »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1313 on: 19 July 2019, 04:27:50 »
Uh?  Produced 3048 . . . the question is, is the mech included in TRO Clan Invasion.  The Clan mechs got past that recently with the secondlines like Pack Hunter and Solitaire.

I am excited for that Star Pack, I hated putting the Solitaire together even if it looks good.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1314 on: 19 July 2019, 04:36:50 »
Already at 675K...that's crazy.

@Cubby: When will the Mechwarrior: Legends hardback be added to the Add-ons sections with a price-tag? I need to update my spreadsheet

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1315 on: 19 July 2019, 05:36:51 »
Uh?  Produced 3048 . . . the question is, is the mech included in TRO Clan Invasion.  The Clan mechs got past that recently with the secondlines like Pack Hunter and Solitaire.

I am excited for that Star Pack, I hated putting the Solitaire together even if it looks good.
Pretty sure he's talking about the Berserker

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1316 on: 19 July 2019, 06:14:06 »
I assume there's an upper limit to the stretch goals, because this is going to be a huge amount of work for the artists and production teams and adding more just adds more stress, more work.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #1317 on: 19 July 2019, 07:24:59 »
I assume there's an upper limit to the stretch goals, because this is going to be a huge amount of work for the artists and production teams and adding more just adds more stress, more work.
Yup, I'd like to see more stretch goals involving novels.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1318 on: 19 July 2019, 07:27:34 »
I meant axeman, and that it was a tro:3050 original, not a 3025 refit.

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1319 on: 19 July 2019, 07:46:22 »
If anyone has missed it, the FAQ was updated with more info about canon characters.

"Yes. The whole idea here is that you will become part of the BattleTech universe. As a canon character, you will get to name a character and can provide a short bio. Faction. Unit. Maybe homeward and honors and rank.

We reserve editorial rights to prevent obscenities or internet goofiness. No Boaty McBoatface!

With custom art, we will ask you for a photo to base the sketch on and it will also be used in a sourcebook our other product in order to permanently add your likeness into the lore of BattleTech.

Please be patient. We expect to have several hundred, even a thousand, characters from this. It will take time, and we will naturally start with higher pledge levels. It's a truly incredible undertaking, but we will find a way!"
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Register