Author Topic: Growing your fleet  (Read 72791 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Growing your fleet
« Reply #150 on: 07 November 2018, 10:39:29 »
I'm betting poorer Clans without shipyards spent the centuries stripping parts from parked warships to keep there fleets operational. Lot easier to pull turrets from a parked ship then to bargain depot time from another Clan.

Not really . . . its how the Ravens survived, they rented out their expertise.  Viper fluff talks about how they had a harder time with their fleet than nearly any other Clan due to Raven animosity, I think it gets hinted at in the Mercer DS fluff along with other places.

As Kit pointed out the caches, probably 6- one for each Pentagon world where the SLDF put ships and one for Strana Mechty where Nik put ships from his mini-exodus- were Clan wide property and MAYBE some of the stronger Clans had their own, which would be where things like Widowmaker/Mongoose/Burrock salvaged ships went (Wolf/Jag/Adder), merchant-powerful Clans put temporarily unneeded JS or transport CC ships (Sharks & Cats), or Clans that built their own warships parked them after mothballing their under performers (Wolf/Falcon/one other?).  IIRC the Conqueror fluff talks about how the project was started in the 3040s and then put on hold when the Ravens figured out they would have no part in the Invasion, it was restarted later in the 50s.

We have never found out what it takes to pull a ship out of the communal pool . . . which is interesting since we have (and will) never be given a exact run down what is in the caches though we know a few things (like a few more Kimagures were present).  We CAN say that whatever was present, there were no more really useable Yorks since the Clans built quite a few new ones after refitting all the viable hulls.  We can also say that whatever else is present, the Fredasa does a better job or was easier/better for some reason that anything that remained because the Fredasa was designed & built and put into production to spread among the Clans.  Whatever JS are still in the caches, building the new Hunter/Odyssey/Comitatus was deemed a better choice for the Clans that designed & produced them (GB/?/SR).

So does getting a ship out have to pass a Grand Council vote?  Which would ultimately lead to a Trial of Refusal involved the party that wants a specific warship against the Clans that do not want the ship given out?  Fight a Trial of Possession against the Elementals of the Ebon Keshik?  Wander out and take the ship?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #151 on: 07 November 2018, 13:03:44 »

Could it be like this?:

1. All ships started out in a General Naval Cache.
2. some are transferred to a Clan (Active duty).
3. When retired or too damaged, they are placed in that Clan own Naval Cache.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #152 on: 07 November 2018, 13:14:48 »
Could it be like this?:

1. All ships started out in a General Naval Cache.
2. some are transferred to a Clan (Active duty).
3. When retired or too damaged, they are placed in that Clan own Naval Cache.

That’s how I thought it was as clan specific caches were noted many times

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #153 on: 07 November 2018, 13:58:33 »
That’s how I thought it was as clan specific caches were noted many times

Could you cite a few?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #154 on: 07 November 2018, 15:04:43 »
Honestly, I do not think its ever really specified though the Conqueror fluff might since I know work started in the 40s and then was halted.  We MIGHT get details with TRO Golden Century since the Falcon & Wolf new warships were put in mothballs for speculated reasons.  The other place that might have something about it would be the earlier cite about the Quicksilver Mongoose as recovered by the Jags.  Maybe some early fluff like WCSB talking about pulling Widowmaker ships out of mothballs for the invasion.

With that said, Clans like the Mandrills, Hellions and Spirits would not have a cache IMO because their assets are so small.  I would expect the Invading Clans plus Ravens, Coyotes & Adders . . . maybe the Cobras being a aero Clan would have their own caches.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #155 on: 07 November 2018, 15:44:37 »
Do you know if it is possible to recycle KF-drives? At least some of the material (especially the Germanium)?

Great source of parts for jumpship construction. Probably could build several for the cost of scrapping one light warship.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #156 on: 07 November 2018, 16:03:57 »
Could you cite a few?

No books in front of me but in the field manuals and source books like wars of reaving, numerous examples of clan so and so activating ships from “their” caches exist

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 08 November 2018, 20:08:34 »
What is the actually process for repairing a defeated but salvageable ship? Is a repair team sent to make it jump worthy and is it then taken to a ship yard for full repair?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #158 on: 09 November 2018, 06:39:10 »
What is the actually process for repairing a defeated but salvageable ship? Is a repair team sent to make it jump worthy and is it then taken to a ship yard for full repair?

That is how I would fluff it.  If it's not then you need to bring in a Yardship or mobile repair station to bring the core online or crack it open to rebuild it.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #159 on: 09 November 2018, 09:20:48 »
No books in front of me but in the field manuals and source books like wars of reaving, numerous examples of clan so and so activating ships from “their” caches exist

I found one mention of the Snow Ravens finding a Brian Cache that included Warships in FM: Warden Clans but that was all outside of the WoR. The WoR has about a half dozen mentions, mainly about the Vipers.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 18 November 2018, 15:57:06 »
So through an odd set of events I will soon have three Farragut’s! I am
A clan player primarily blood spirits and horses. Any fluffy story suggestions on how to use this unexpected bounty?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #161 on: 18 November 2018, 19:09:13 »
What's the rest of your fleet look like?

Got a TO&E... ?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: 18 November 2018, 19:50:20 »
What's the rest of your fleet look like?

Got a TO&E... ?

TT

So this all started with my obsession with the Carmine Justice the lost Flagship of the Blood Spirits. I love the story behind the plucky ( or crazy) small but fierce Blood Spirit Navy. You can read about them here:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Naval_Reserve_(Clan_Blood_Spirit)

The Justice was lost during the Burrock Absorption and its type has never been revealed. I considereds a number of different sweet designs for the role of my fleet flagship such as a Texas or Mckenna. Texas's have all been officially been accounted for and the Mckenna is almost too good... As someone who likes the Spirits precisely because they can do win while using second line or even SL era tech I started to warm to the idea of a Farragut. Its an old school bruiser of a ship . I have all the other ships of the Naval Reserve on hand and added a Kimagure as the 2nd lost ship.

So again I went from 0 to 3 Farrguts and I want to use them well!   

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #163 on: 19 November 2018, 01:45:53 »
Take one of them aside of a Dreadnought and paint something for the reunification war.  ;)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #164 on: 19 November 2018, 22:37:38 »
Take one of them aside of a Dreadnought and paint something for the reunification war.  ;)

Alas I am only an invasion era guy

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #165 on: 19 November 2018, 22:44:56 »
Olive Grey with some three white and black markings to show Invasion ship on the mid nose section!

Oh and a large clan logo in the middle of the fore section, with the W/B covering the lower half of logo...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #166 on: 20 November 2018, 15:02:25 »
Alas I am only an invasion era guy

Ask the periphery guys, they will name the reunification a kind of invasion.  ;)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #167 on: 05 December 2018, 14:23:41 »
IMHO given the need for interstellar patrolling to protect the Sphere of Interest of the HomeClans, what ship classes will the Adders build when they are capable to construct new warships?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #168 on: 05 December 2018, 14:50:24 »
Depends on what they took intact . . . IIRC shortly before '67 the Ravens finished a York to be delivered to the Coyotes.  Who got the Fredasa yard from the Jaguars as well?

And who needs warships?  You are looking for a picket & patrol ship . . . a Comitatus JS with 20 ASF, 5 SC and a Drop collar, so a PWS or assault ship can be docked.

Of course if the shipyard building the Comis was taken from the Falcons in shape enough to be put back into operation.
Colt Ward

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #169 on: 05 December 2018, 16:42:35 »
Definitely a ship that has HPG and can warn the homeworlds without the need to make a jump back.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #170 on: 06 December 2018, 14:10:22 »
We have been told that the Adders did destroy a Cloud Cobra warship (Sovjetzky Soyus-Class) deep in the Periphery which wanted to attack the Inner Sphere. So I think they need something with firepower and endurance in battle.

Maybe a cruiser?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #171 on: 06 December 2018, 14:35:00 »
More than likely they chased it down just like what happened to the Wolverines.

Bluntly there is no way they could picket enough space (not even getting into 3D, just going off BTU's 2D maps) to draw a line.  What they would likely do is picket the most likely approaches, G class stars that could support planets that would have air/water (like Serpent searched for) or fast recharging stars.

IMO a bigger question is if they took over Noveau Paris or somewhere like it as their naval station for the interdiction patrols.  Or is that system too close to the Taint.
Colt Ward

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #172 on: 07 December 2018, 17:44:36 »
More than likely they chased it down just like what happened to the Wolverines.

Bluntly there is no way they could picket enough space (not even getting into 3D, just going off BTU's 2D maps) to draw a line.  What they would likely do is picket the most likely approaches, G class stars that could support planets that would have air/water (like Serpent searched for) or fast recharging stars.

IMO a bigger question is if they took over Noveau Paris or somewhere like it as their naval station for the interdiction patrols.  Or is that system too close to the Taint.

It would make sense to take over former Exodus Road worlds. There locations are known, fully mapped out and would have facilitys already in place. The fact though is that they would have to garrison invading clan holdings as well. The Wolves or Falcons would be more likely to go back using known routes to them rather than following another Clans.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #173 on: 08 December 2018, 11:35:09 »
Those worlds could be declared as being "Tainted".

Maybe installing tripwires here n case of Spheroid incursions, but no bases due the "Taint".

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #174 on: 09 December 2018, 11:49:53 »
Post wars of reaving in the HW who controls the bulk of ship repair and construction sites?

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #175 on: 09 December 2018, 17:54:15 »
iirc Star Adder

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #176 on: 10 December 2018, 00:19:37 »
Question:

What's the most commonly transport Jumper of the clans?

Ex-SLDF

Scout
Invader
Explorer ( retcon'd 2703 built date, while no collar it did had a HPG variant )
Merchant
Tramp
Star Lord
Leviathan ( retcon'd 2468 built date, Primitive but has 8 collars )
Monolith

Clan
Hunter
Odyssey
Comitatus

Reason for asking, is most of the Ex-SLDF has to be really old and barley operational, only Merchant and Technical Caste would ever fix one up... Is better with a recycled newer one or an older model?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #177 on: 10 December 2018, 11:01:06 »
Missing I think the Liberty class?

The Clan designed JS are specialized and for the most part pickets with a single DS & maybe ASF.

To really figure it out you might have to go parse the phone books to extrapolate.  I know I have the WCSB fleet on a spreadsheet at home.  From my memory I will say the Star Lord might be the most common Clan touman JS.  What might be in the Clan merchant fleets is however a different story.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #178 on: 10 December 2018, 14:51:22 »
Odyssey carries 4 collars... which would serve in a better role than a Star Lord / Tramp. Also the Odyssey has a LF battery, armed with better weapons and while heavier, doesn't have as much of the frilly stuff aka Passenger Quarters that a Trueborn would ever use.

BUT on the other hand, a Star Lord / Tramp carries 6 collars...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #179 on: 10 December 2018, 15:05:46 »
First IIRC the Odyssey was Jaguar created (or stolen considering their MO) and we do not know how widespread it became among the Clans- did we ever see it in fiction or SB cites?  Also, they were created to be exploring JS IIRC.

Second, some of the Clan Star Lords had LF batteries though we have not gotten a RS for them IIRC.

Finally, passenger quarters turned out to be useful for marines traveling the Exodus Road- which I do not remember any specifics about the JS Trent traveled the Exodus Road in but it had quarters for the Elemental leader.
Colt Ward