Author Topic: Battletech Gaming Maps (and a bit of Heroscape)  (Read 18302 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: Battletech Gaming Maps (and a bit of Heroscape)
« Reply #30 on: 20 July 2018, 16:36:27 »
I've seen different color foliage or heights used to separate heavy and light woods.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #31 on: 20 July 2018, 23:14:42 »
I use small trees for light and put an L label and then larger trees for heavy and put an H label. I started out with light and dark color trees but then I had trouble getting the colors I needed locally. Then I also started making different templates of trees to match different types of terrain.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Mister_Bruce

• Recruit
« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2018, 02:40:13 »
Thanks for the feedback - at this point I have 2 trees on each base for Light Forests, and 3 trees on each base for Heavy Forests.
Some further updates to my Battletech Maps. I didn't like the naked Heroscape tiles so I flocked a few. Now I think it looks better.

I have two game boards ready now but still need to do some work on my Black Widow company mechs and then start painting up some enemy lances to play through the 3025 sourcebook scenarios.

PS: My 5 year old helped paint and flock the bases. Kids are awesome at helping build terrain.  :thumbsup:

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #33 on: 23 July 2018, 17:47:14 »
Very nice!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 14 October 2018, 08:10:18 »
Well I'm going back to Battletech which I've played on and off since it was first released. I just thought I'd share some of the things that I've learned so far, gleaning from others and also discovering some things that I think are new:
  • Catalyst has all of the standard maps on DriveThruRPG. I have bought the map packs and scaled them up to 1.75 inch (Heroscape size) and the test prints look very good
  • Battlemaps on DriveThruRPG has a number of good looking printable maps with 1 inch and 1.5 inch hex maps. I have downloaded some of these and scaled them up to 1.75 inch (Heroscape size) and they look good.
  • Wargameprint on DrivethruRPG also has very good looking maps which I'm very tempted by given that DrivethruRPG is currently having a sale. One thing that the maker does offer is hex grids for different sizes. I'm going to contact him.
But then the next interesting thing is GIMP which is a graphic modification tool. I found a Hex Grid overlap plugin but it was dated 2009 so I thought there was no way it would work. The good news is that it does work. So you can create your own overlays and print them.

I'm also doing a bit of exploration with 3D printing but I'll share that later.

My maps currently look like basic Heroscape, but they will improve. Pics from today....

I forgot to mention. I'm using ordinary dice to remember whether a mech is walking ("1"), running ("2"), jumping ("3") or is stationary ("6"). I haven't thought of anything better yet.

Suggestions for space hex maps? The cannot find good ones!

deogg

• Recruit
  • #TheTapperOfTomorrow
    • My YouTube channel: Tapper Dan
« Reply #35 on: 16 April 2023, 21:26:38 »
Aaaaaand I just found use for all that Heroscape stuff in my basement! I may even rock it for Heroclix as well.
"You ain't seen the best of me yet. Give me time, I'll make you forget the rest."

Frank Olson

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 06 May 2023, 00:53:20 »
If you need a big bridge, I made this one ages ago:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2771244