Author Topic: Emerald and Gold  (Read 30749 times)

Motsognir

• Sergeant
  • And so there I was...
Re: Emerald and Gold
« Reply #30 on: 25 July 2018, 16:56:38 »
Tough fight.

Expensive too, by the sounds of it.

As always keep it up Drunkninja.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 26 July 2018, 01:34:09 »
Good fight, especially as you won. ;)
With all those mechs down there should be some salvage for Bishop.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 26 July 2018, 19:28:46 »
and a nice used Prime Mover too
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 27 July 2018, 01:10:11 »
When I played that last battle on table top it was pretty scary. I expected that more damage would have been done to the heavies from the munition explosions but nooooope.  Really enjoying putting this story to paper.  Keep the comments coming! They're great motivators!

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 29 July 2018, 12:59:46 »
Hi, I really like this series of chapters. I hope you'll get to expand this to ebook size. Can't wait to read more!

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 04 August 2018, 16:49:24 »
On vacation and all I can think about is how I'm going to write the next chapter.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #36 on: 05 August 2018, 08:36:15 »
*ping* Station Keeping, Mr. Bishop.
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 08 August 2018, 16:55:44 »
Chapter 8
Thraxa, Magistracy of Canopus
Captured Marian Firebase
February 3 3022

Sunlight broke the horizon casting rays that distorted through the settling fog of war.  Smoke coiled skyward from still burning fires that sent ash to stain the remaining patches of snow between wreckage and hot spots.  Alex, still sitting in the cockpit of his battered Whitworth, surveyed the scene as he ground his teeth together in anger.  He had chosen to stand guard while the others set about their work to secure prisoners and ensure the security of the captured base.  In truth, he needed time to compose himself and collect his thoughts about how he was going to handle the unfolding situation.

When the storm had broke Captain Bishop had contacted his salvage team to make best speed towards his location.  He knew it would be hard on his people, but there wasn't any time to lose if the spoils of the costly victory against the Blue' Brigade would become worth it.  Before   the mercenaries hired hands arrived a message came in from the Capital. The govenor herself called for the Privateers to immediately break camp and assault the rear elements of the main Marian force that now maintained a strong foothold in the city.

Alexander listened to the recording again while sitting in the confines of his cockpit. “...repeat, Lieutenant Fore.  You are to command Bishops Privateers into action and force them to assault the rear guard of the Marians main battle line.  If you fail to do so the city is lost and all the dead will be placed upon your shoulders....I repeat...”  The words caused Alex' blood to run cold.  He heard it in her voice.  Fear.  The audio provided distinct sounds that formed the background noise of the message.  It was obvious to the trained ear that the governors bunker was being shelled and she was afraid for her own life.

Wilik Fore had brought the message to the young Captain for review, the worry and frustration painted on his face as he did so was very evident.  He knew as well as Alex that the breach of chain of command along with the suicidal order clearly broke the Privateers contract.  What to do about it though?  Those damned mercenary hating bureaucrats'.  I will not spend the lives of MY people to save the likes of some selfish coward.  If the fool hadn't called for the Commandos to dig into the city, then maybe she wouldn't have bombs dropping on her own head. 

Taking a deep breath, Alex activated his comms.  “Lieutenant McKay, saddle up and take over guard.”  There was a brief moment before her reply of a hesitant “Yes Sir.”  He was aware that her Panther was missing its Particle Projection Cannon, but it couldn't be helped at the moment.  The deep need to lead his people boiled up from some unknown recess of Alex' being, and now was the time to follow it through.  “Lieutenant Fore, meet me at the foot of your Vindicator.”  With a clenched jaw Alexander depressurized his cockpit and lowered the access ladder.  I was never good at getting along with planetary governors anyway.

It only took a few minutes for Alex to make his way over to the Capellan designed Vindicator that was now in the possession of the Canopian Lieutenant.  As he approached, the Captain could see the concern written across Wilik' face.  “Lieutenant Fore.”  He opened with, the anger barely kept from his words.  “We are both aware of the terms of the Privateers contract here on Thraxa.”  Steel entered the young man' voice, sharpened to a razors edge and ready to attack.  “I will not throw my people to the slaughter, I will not march damaged machines into a meat grinder and I will certainly not bow to the whims of a selfish coward.”  Alex watched Wilik Fore flinch slightly under that last comment.  “I understand Captain Bishop, but if we lose the capital we lose the planet.  Surely a hit and run might...”

The older man was cut off by Alexander' outburst.  “The govenor IS NOT the planet.  The people are!  If she dies in her little hiding place the Clayborne will still have their real reason to fight.  Don't you dare tell me otherwise.”  Anger and frustration flushed Bishop' face, the fire in his heart growing. 

“So you'll abandon us then?”  The question was blunt but Bishop never expected less from the man he had grown to know.  Alex turned and started to climb the Vindicator' access ladder.  “No, we will not abandon you, but I do have some words for your Govenor Charleston.”  Wilik followed the Captain to the cockpit of the battlemech and readied the machine to preform a tight beam transmission.

Olivia reflexively brought her arms up to shield her head as the bunker shuddered again from another explosion.  Once she realized there was nothing falling down from the reinforced ceiling she quickly regained her composure and glared at the live video feed connecting her to Colonel Yosef Sonari.  “What do you mean he's in his right to do so?  How dare he feed me an ultimatum!”  The govenor sneered at the thought of mercenary scum dictating to her demands of contract renegotiation while the enemy was shooting at her.  The most important person on the planet!

The Colonel' face remained impassive, though the wrinkles in his dark skin cast his features to appear as a perment glower.  “Govenor Charleston, despite the dire situation, you broke contract with Bishops Privateers the moment you ordered my officer to force them into a hopeless situation.”  The man paused before choosing his next words.  “I feel fortunate Captain Bishop didn't contact the Marians outright and declare neutrality.”

“This is what we get for bringing in outside help.  They want that entire base they captured for me or else they'll leave us all for dead!  The greedy maggots....”  Olivia' voice puttered out as the walls trembled from another attack.  In a much smaller voice she continued “...the Magestrix  will hear of this!”

If there was a limit to the old war dog Colonel' patience, the govenor had just probbed its boundaries.  “With all do respect Olivia, not if you're dead.  Captain Bishop has already shown to be an able commander.  I need his help and I need it as soon as possible.  Approve the addendum to the contract so there might be some people left in this city to save.”

Govenor Olivia Charleston ended the transmission and quickly hid underneath her desk as another explosion quaked her bunker.  She cursed the Privateers as the last thing Alexander Bishop had said echoed in her mind.  “Freedom isn't cheap and neither are Battlemechs.”

Motsognir

• Sergeant
  • And so there I was...
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2018, 19:22:38 »
Great to see you back at it Drunkninja, hope the holiday helped recharge the batteries.

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #39 on: 09 August 2018, 08:10:43 »
Nice. Some real merc negotiations here!
My respects to bishop!
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 09 August 2018, 14:03:45 »
Great story. Hope you continue!
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 09 August 2018, 15:23:03 »
Chapter 9
Lyran Commonwealth/Draconis Combine Border
Location Unknown
Jumpship Typheus Invader Class
Circa 3001

In the vacuum of space no one can hear you scream.  Those were the thoughts of Adept Reginald Harris as he looked out a port hole in the massive ships hull and pondered the depth of the void.  The young mans trance was only broken when his commanding officer, Precentor Kintero, called him forward for an introduction to the merchant turned pirate.  The small man put on his best porcelain smile and turned from the window.  Taking five quick steps he joined the gathering of people that stood in the command bridge of the Jumpship.

“I present to you the last of our gifts.  Mr. Reggie Harris.”  Kintero displayed the adept as  if he were a piece of meat hanging in the market place.  The large pirate looked him up and down, appraising his worth then looked back to the Precentor with an unimpressed expression.  Before he could speak disapproval the ComStar official continued the sales pitch.  “I suggest for the time being you take Mr.  Harris with you.  The rare war material that we've generously donated to your cause will require proper maintenance and repair.  This young man has the knowledge to do so and can teach your technicians.”  An unspoken understanding appeared in William Roax' intelligent eyes.

Standing up as straight as he could, still wearing the false smile Harris added “I can also pilot a Battlemech in a pinch if needed.”  The pride pouring into those words were perhaps one of the only truths that the young adept would let slip before his mission was complete.  Being a part of the Jolly Roger Affair was an important first step in Harris' career with ComStar and the scope of the mission was of great magnitude.  The man allowed his pride to be joined with ambition as he knew he would be a key player in manipulating the mighty Successor States to ComStars whim.

“Welcome aboard Mr. Harris.” The pirate extended his strong hand and shook the adepts with a tight grip.  “I hope you have your personal effects in order.  I am not a man to waste my time.”  The ComStar operative returned the steady gaze and handshake.  Neither am I old man.  Soon enough you'll belong to me.  “I am at your beckon call.  Just say when and I'll get to training your people.”

Harris wailed again after wiping away bile from his parched lips, the rusty chains that bound his arms and legs rattled as he did so.  “Where are you taking me?” the young man screamed at no one but the walls of his prison cell.  The Typheus had just finished another jump through time and space and the adepts reality came crashing back to him with a vengeance.  It had been quite some time since Harris had lost track of the date, but he could tell that Roax' pirates were traveling system to system without making any stops or planet falls.

Everything had seemed to be going as planned.  Adept Harris had just completed teaching one of the press ganged Lyran merchant technicians everything he knew about the Star League era machinery while the pirates continued to make successful raids along the Combines border out of the Periphery. It was going so perfect until William Roax found out I no longer had a use.  “Curse you!  Amaris trash!”  Reggie' throat was raw from yelling oaths and the lack of hydration provided by the pirates.

The holding cell briefly shuddered and Harris knew that the ships solar sails were extending yet again to collect the precious energy needed to make another tear in the void of space.  He slumped down onto the floor and curled up into the fetal position.  He would have cried if he had tears left to do so.  Whimpering as he adjusted his chains he whispered out to the universe.  “Where are you taking me?”

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 09 August 2018, 22:35:11 »
Chapter 10
Outskirts of Capital City
February 10 3022

“Leader One to Commando One.  The LRM Carriers are destroyed.  I repeat, the LRM Carriers are destroyed.  Tell your people to push no mans land in five.  We'll meet them in the middle.  Leader One out.”  The temperature in the Whitworth' cockpit finally began to lessen and Alexander silently thanked the gods it was a winter planet.  The assault on the rear of the invaders dug in position had begun that morning and so far Bishop' Privateers had caught most of their initial targets , a company of LRM tankers, in an unfavorable position.

“Those snail crawlers sure can dish it out, but their butts seem to be made of paper.”  Brian Swanksy joked on the lance' closed channel from his recently -borrowed- Trebuchet.  The mechs' recent owner, one Zephyr Tenneson of the Blue' Brigade, after offering his surrender made a quick proposal to join the Privateers if it meant he would be able to keep his battlemech.  The mercenary Captain understood the terror of becoming dispossessed, but for the time being would not permit a new prisoner to fight against recent allies for obvious reasons.

“Roger that.”  Martha McKay replied but followed with “Let's keep the channel clear and  keep our heads in the game people.  We're almost at objective two' location.  Don't get cocky.”  Alexander grinned as his XO kept their people in line.  She sure gets bossy when that mech of her' has its PPC.  As the Captain's HUD began to populate with red he became serious again.  We were lucky this time and had the one from the damaged Vindicator.  But next time...  Alex' mind left that worry until a later date.

“Alright people here we go.  Enemy contact!  Heavy lance...”  The Captain' automated speech skipped a beat as his war book tallied the Marian force composition.  “...Centurion, Dervish, Dragon... Orion.”  Why in the world are my opponents always bigger than me!?!  “Commando One, pull back to our right flank, we need yours and Commando Two' support.  Now!”  I hope that cobbled together Assassin pays off with dividends today.

Alexander throttled up his Whitworth into a run to make it past an open intersection and into the cover of a ruined apartment complex.  “Dagger, take a back street and get into that Orion!  Keep it occupied and away from us.”  Missiles impacted the half destroyed building, throwing concrete and debris into the air around the young mercenaries position.  “Hammer One and Two, concentrate fire on the Centurion first, then the Dervish.”  Alex walked his mech across the next street opening and let fly his own missiles.  His heat spiked and caused the dry salt on his skin to become wet with sweat once more.  “Commando One and Two, when you get here the Dragon is yours.  Keep your head down people and lets make some money!”

It was taught in the back water academy where Alex learned to pilot a mech, that city fighting was the worst of the worst.  Between the loss of civilian life, collateral damage and the potential for booby traps a mechwarrior was suppose to avoid fighting within a city whenever possible.  The governor was in the wrong to keep her forces bottled up like this.  She's killing her own people.  A giant dust cloud became visible above the building skyline as another structure was lost to the close infighting.

Strict military chatter steadily flowed into Alex' ear as the battle began to unfold.  Despite his lance still being in its infancy, it had matured into a cohesive fighting unit nicely.  If they had not Alex had no doubt that all their lives would have been lost to the intense fighting of their first campaign. 

Familiar alarms warned of incoming missiles.  Captain Bishop maneuvered into the shade of a condo complex but his reaction had been a moment too slow.  The long reach of the Dervish brought multiple explosive impacts that rocked the commanders Whitworth and cracked composite protection.  It was time to respond in kind and, working the old machines controls, he rolled off the concrete structure of the Canopian home and brought his own weapons to bare aiming down the avenue. 

The Centurion was the closer of the two enemies, its helmet shaped cockpit clearly painted to mimic the heraldry of the Marian Hegemony.  Not far behind in support was the Dervish, painted in a similar scheme of blues.  Knowing the later would be recycling its only available weapon in the tight exchange, Alex took the opportunity to tear into the Centurion with an alpha strike.  Heat surged in the confines of his cockpit that near baked his exposed flesh as he sent a trio of medium lasers and both racks of LRMs corkscrewing down field.  Only one of medium lasers missed its primary target and scarred the pavement beyond, the other two found their mark into the right leg of the invader.  Warheads followed and turned the extravagant paint job into a cratered wreck.

Maintaining a forward momentum Alex pushed his mech into cover once more and braced for the return fire, though it never came.  The Centurion pilots aim had been ruined by a more savage steel rain that fell from the sky that followed the Captains own attack.  The avenue briefly turned into an inferno as Swansky' Trebuchet brought death down on the medium machine from two streets over.  Adding to the cacophony, Lieutenant McKay had made her move and plummeted down onto the street propelled by super heated air between Alexander and the staggering foe.  A brilliant flash of light reflected from all the still remaining windows and smashed into the chest of the Centurion, cracking its torso protection and sending it flying backwards onto the street.  The short ranged missiles that followed spelled the final doom as one of the more powerful warheads blew apart the mechs skeletal structure at the knee.

Martha' lighter Panther paid the price for clearing the Dervish' line of sight.  The Marian pilot moved his mech forward just enough to find the sweet spot between the ranges of all of his long and short ranged weaponry.  The torrent of laser and missile fire was too much for the Lieutenant and her mech toppled to the street.  Alexander didn't waste time to come to his friends aid.  Withdrawing from his cover the orphaned boy turned mercenary pushed his Whitworth into a full run up the avenue.  Passing his XO' machine as it struggled to regain its feet, Captain Bishop filled the air between him and the enemy with multiple beams of coherent light that cut sharper than steel.  Red filled the mans eyes as he closed the distance and made sure his query paid attention to him and not his vulnerable ally. 

Medium lasers seared and short range missiles pock marked Alexanders remaining armor but it wasn't enough to change the war machines course.  The resounding boom of the collision sent a small shockwave down the street as both medium mechs made an abrupt contact and crashed into the reinforced structure of a bank.  Alarms sounded and the computerized feminine voice that never had good news informed Alex of critical damage.  Before he had time to check the schematic for himself his stomach suddenly lurched from an odd sensation that was quickly followed by another crash and his restraining straps drawing blood from his juking body.

The larger Dervish had thrown the lighter Whitworth off of it and to the side.

Darkness threatened Alexander' vision as he thought he heard Martha McKay' voice through the ringing that still reverberated in his ears.  “I'm up!  He ruined the weapon pods on his arms doing that.  Fire for effect!”  There was a sudden rumble of explosions very close to the Captains prone position.  Blinking his eyes in an attempt to clear the haze he noted that his computer showed more indirect missile fire pouring down nearly on top of him, but definitely impacting the enemy Dervish.  There was an odd groaning mixed in with the sound of explosions and before Alex could pin point the source vomit splashed out of his mouth to his surprise as his stomach lurched again as both battlemechs dropped an entire story below ground into a parkade.

Strobe lights of yellow and red rhythmically painted the insides of Alexander' eyelids and a low groan escaped his horrid tasting mouth.  Warning... Warning... Warning... an irritating voice kept talking into his ear when all he wanted to do was go back to sleep.  “Ca...ou...he..e” a familiar voice whispered into his other ear.  “Can...ou...her...me”   Warning... Warning... Warning... “ALEX!”  Captain Bishop' eyes fluttered open to his view screen being covered in dark rubble.  “Can you hear me?  Report, Alex!”  Martha McKay' concerned voice filled the young mans ear piece.

“Roger that, Lieutenant... I hear you.” It burned his throat to talk.  He must have went unconcious from the fall.  Checking his instruments Alex saw that his left torsos missile launcher was ruined.  “Report.”  It hurt to move but trusting the durability of the undisputed champions of the modern battlefield Alex started to work his controls to undo his own burial. 

“Dagger had to withdraw, his fusion engine was damaged by the Orion.  Hammer Two and myself now engaging the same Orion.  Commando One has routed the Dragon and is returning.  Commando Two is... dead.”  Light flooded the Whitworth' cockpit as the last of the debris fell away from its view screen as Alex managed to get his battlemech back onto its feet.  Ensuring first his jumpjets were still functioning, he took flight over the motionless wreck of the Dervish and back to the street above.

A mushroom cloud suddenly blossomed towards the sky only a single street away.  Ammo explosion Alex realized as he throttled his mech into a run just in time to turn the corner and see the heavy warmachine laying prone on the ground and be nothing more than a burning ruin.  Both Lieutenant McKay' and Brian Swansky' battlemechs stood over the dead Orion.

Martha opened the private channel that they both shared.  “Thank you Alex... for saving me.”  She held it open for a moment so he couldn't respond and continued.  “But I have to ask... why aren't you afraid to die?”  He let the question hang in the moment between them.  There was only one answer he could offer as he remembered the bullet that he had intended for himself. 

“I will protect my people.  To the very end.”  Alexander Bishop had no idea the extent of the truth he had just spoken.

Motsognir

• Sergeant
  • And so there I was...
« Reply #43 on: 09 August 2018, 22:50:52 »
Bishop’s crew are getting trashed. I love it. Nothing like pulling out a hard win. I hope the pay and salvage make it all worth it.

I almost feel bad for the Marians they always get trashed. Just pissing away their ‘Mech strength.

chongobongo

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 10 August 2018, 11:19:48 »
K :thumbsup Keep it coming , love the story . Looks like your going to need a lot of hanger time after all this.

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #45 on: 11 August 2018, 14:27:30 »
Chapter 11
Capital City
February 21 3022

It had taken some time to find the right house.  The devastation sowed by the prolonged fighting in the city was staggering.  There were civilian casualties and a lot of them.  It was the horrors of war and Alex was living it.  Not five feet away from where he currently stood lay a dead man half buried underneath the rubble of his own home.  The brown leather jacket the stranger wore was coverd in dust and blood.  Alex took one shakey step forward before a single word whispered from his lips.  “No.”

Taking one more step he knelt down next to the body.  Pushing away the debris that had likely killed the elderly man and stomaching the smell of the dead, Alex checked the jacket.  Sure enough there was a small patch missing that matched the one he had received.  Why didn't you evacuate with everyone else on this block?  Carefully, he rolled the man over.  At first Alexander noticed the old fashion dog tags hanging around his neck, but soon after did a double take of the pale, blood stained face.  I've seen you before...but where?

The sound of wheels slowly moving across freshly fallen snow caught Alex' attention.  Standing, he turned around to see a police car making its round of the destroyed sector.  It stopped near by and two police offciers stepped out wearing parkas.  “You there!  You better not be looting that house!”  The officers voice was stern, but tired.  After the fighting had ended there had been an immediate problem with mass lootings.  Everyone trained in law enforcment had been put to work 24/7 in an attempt to bring the populace under control.

“No officer, I was trying to do my part and look for survivors.  This man unfortunely has been dead for a while.”  Alex motioned down to the body at his feet.  “I suppose its fortunate he's the only one I've found on this block.”  The mercenary Captain had a distaste for lying, but he could not just walk away.  He needed to know who this man was and how he was connected to his father.

“Say, aren't you that merc who's people took down the Marian' Legatus?  Mason Richardson or what ever his name was?”  The other cop chimed in.  “Hey yeah, you're Alexander Bishop!  I saw you on the holovid.  Boy oh boy does Governor Charleston hate your guts.”  Both of the police officers laughed.  “Though, at least Colonel Sonari has the right of it.”  The man seemed to catch himself and remember why he was there.  “That aside, you can't be here sorry to say.  We appreciate your help but it's our turn to do our jobs.”  They both climbed back into the car but the driver lowered his window.  “I'd hate to win some brownie points with the Governor by arresting you.”  Both officers laughed again and continued their patrol of the area.

I need to hurry.  Alex waited for the car to be out of eye shot before leaning down and quickly snapping the dog tags off of the body and ramming them into his pocket.  He double checked to see if the unit patch was removed like his fathers.  It was.  His eyes searched the rubble for anything that stood out.  For anything that could be a clue.  This blasted snow!  Frantically he pushed aside fallen rafters and large chunks of concrete.  Rolling over a broken clothes dresser Alex suddenly took pause.  Floor boards of the house had been broken and snapped upwards by the second floor bathtub falling from above.  Looking down into the hole the once orphan had found a hidden black fire safe. 

No time was wasted in pulling the safe to his jeep and getting as far away from that house as possible.  About ten minutes away from the mech hangar a call came in from Martha McKay.  “Captain, I need you to get back to base ASAP.  There's a situation.”  Of all the times for something to require my attention.  “This better be important Lieutenent.  I told you I was taking care of personal business.”  There was a brief pause before his second in command replied.  “I think it is Captain.  I just got word from a man claiming to be a Dropship Captain who was a part of the invasion force.  He says he wants to surrender directly to you.”

“What?”

Martha was never one to feel comfortable in a dress uniform.  She much prefered casual wear or just shorts and her cooling vest.  The clean cut fatigues she currently wore was loose enough to satify her comfort, but was official enough to wear into the meeting she was currently a part of.  As the XO of Bishops Privateers her Captain wanted her there.  She stood at attention behind his chair and remained at parade rest while taking in all that was going on.  So far the conversation taking place had not been pleasant.

Sat around the large table of the meeting room were some of the most powerful personalities on all of Thraxa.  Sitting in front of Martha was Captain Alexander Bishop of Bishops Privateers.  To his immediate right was Lieutenant Wilik Fore, the mercenaries acting Liaison.  To his left was Captain Halfrid Schmitz, owner of the dropship Ascending Night and the reason why the current council was taking place.  Across the table from Schmitz sat Colonel Yosef Sonari in full dress uniform, his face resting in a wrinkled glower.  At the center of the table Governor Olivia Charleston sat flanked by two of her councilman, one of which Martha recognized as the indignant Hoffer.  The last person present Lieutenant McKay had not known until she was introduced at the beginning of the meeting.  Envoy Yadmeen Jasu from Canopus IV.

“Be thankful you're not wearing chains Captain Schmitz!  You are after all only here because you attacked our world!”  Governor Charleston scowled across the table.  “Your vessel and its equipment are simply the spoils of war.  It is of no concern to us that you couldn't escape due to a thruster malfunction.”  The Captain retorted immediately.  “I am clearly protected under the Ares Conventions Furher Charleston.  I came baring the white flag of truce.  It is a violation of my rights as a free person to take my ship!”  The man bristled as he spoke.  “Even so, my business does not even concern you as I have surrendered to Herr Bishop.”

It had become clear to Martha not long after talking to Alexander about why the Lyran mercenary would want to surrender directly to the Privateers.  He intended to be the prisoner of a man with no ties and negotiate his freedom instead of losing all of his assets to a sedentary government in a military absorption.  It seemed to be the best course of action for the man as he fought for his livelihood.  No mercenary ever wished to become dispossessed.

Hoffer spoke up in his usual annoying fashion.  “The mercenaries contract clearly states that the spoils of war taken in service to the Thaxian government is divided via third party voting system.  It has been declared that the dropship is to be handed over to us as our share.”  He raised his fat head so his chin stuck out in defiance. 

Martha tensed at the mention of their contract.  She quickly glanced down at her Captain and, even though he was facing away from her, could see the man's fire beginning to ignite.  It was a quality she had only begun to notice in his fighting style when piloting a mech, but lately as Alexander grew into his leadership role it had bled into his personality.  The way he threw himself at situations with reckless strength but controlled by logic and reason told that tale that one day she knew he would become a very powerful and dangerous man.

Today he did not disappoint.

“Who are you to talk to me about my contract?  Those who recklessly throw life away while hiding in a hole.  You would watch the Magistracy burn to save your own hides.”  Captain Bishops voice began to grow into a roar.  “If you were familiar with the Ares Conventions at all you'd already know by keeping the Clayborne Commandos bottled up in your own city you painted a target on its civilians.  Your own people.  Their blood is on your hands and all you can worry about are more instruments of war which clearly you would misuse.”  Martha noticed Envoy Jasu' stoic expression slip while listening to Alexander' tirade.  “I wouldn't be surprised if the people didn't impeach the likes of you all with torches and pitchforks.” 

“That's enough Captain Bishop.” The honeyed voice of the Canopus IV representative finally inserted itself into the debate.  Rising to her feet the dignitary made sure she gathered everyone's attention before continuing.  Martha felt a pang of jealousy as she watched the beautiful woman who, was likely use to being a part of the royal court, address her superiors as if they were squabbling children.  “I've heard from almost all of you.  The only opinion that seems to be missing is yours Colonel Sonari.  Please, indulge me with your thoughts on this situation.”

All eyes turned to the aging military man and the sudden attention didn't seem to phase him in the slightest.  Clearing his throat he leaned forward slightly and clasped his hands together on the table in front of him.  “Well to be blunt Lady Jasu, Captain Schmitz' surrender came after the fighting had stopped.  Like any military leader I would be stupid to deny myself access to rare technology like a dropship, but I am also not a thief.  Despite being mercenaries, Bishops Privateers who, fly the colors of the Magistracy of Canopus, were the reciprocates of a white flag surrender.  Being an independent military organization that had participated in combat actions previously against the defeated, it is to my understanding that they are the ones responsible to deal with their now prisoners of war.”

“Yosef!” The governor barked at her associate.  The outburst was quickly muted by Envoy Jasu.  “That is enough Governor Charleston.  Thank you Colonel for your wise insight.”  She bowed her head slightly towards her elder, chocolate locks of hair falling down across her blushed cheeks.  “I have heard all I need.  Captain Schmitz, you, your people and your equipment are under the custody of the military entity Bishops Privateers.  As the acting voice of Magestrix Kyalla Centrella, I declare it so.”

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 11 August 2018, 15:39:53 »
So they have their own dropship now. Awesome!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 11 August 2018, 17:36:10 »
Always good to pick up a dropship.
What type is it, hopefully my favourite a Fortress. ;)
Now that they have a dropship it's about time to get off planet before the governor really throws a tantrum. :D
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 11 August 2018, 18:03:31 »
Just a Union class lol Sorry to disappoint.

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 11 August 2018, 19:03:34 »
Chapter 12
Town of Merdar
February 23 3022

The hour was late and most of the busy noise of the day had died down.  Besides Alex the only other person in the mech hangar was the Privateers lead technician Cole.  It had been a long past two days and only now the young man had a few moments to himself to hopefully quash the curiosity he had hidden from the others.  Sitting vigil in his usual spot to find peace of mind, the cockpit of his Whitworth, Alex stared down at the now cracked fire safe at his feet.  Taking a deep breath he reached down and opened its steel hatch.

From within, the secrets of the past began to weave together pieces of the puzzle.

There were multiple objects held within the confines of the safe.  A large amount of M-Bills, an equal roll of C-Bills,  a Canopus Cluster earring with an emerald gem, a Needler pistol with clip and a photo album.  A lump caught in Alexander' throat as he opened the album and saw what was attached to the inside of the cover.  Sewn onto a torn piece of brown leather, a military crest depicting an amethyst colored eagle with outstretched wings greeted any who opened the memory book.  Written across the insignia were the words “Devil's Wake”.

Alex began to flip through the photos from someone elses life time.  There were various images of people and places that were all strange to him.  The old man he had found dead were in many of the pictures, albeit a younger version.  It wasn't until he reached the last few pages that he stopped and let his eyes soak up what he was looking at.  One of the photos were of four men standing at the foot of a battlemech with arms draped over each others shoulders.  All four wore familiar brown leather flight jackets.  To the very left was the man who had died in Capital City recently, next to him was someone Alex didn't recognize.  To the far right was a younger version of Eric Bishop, his uncle.  To Eric' left was a man that could have passed for an older version of Alexander himself except that his skin was of a lighter complexion.

“Dad?”  The word slipped out of the Captains mouth, spoken as if hoping the photograph would reply.  Alex's mind became frantic as he suddenly realized that he might not be Canopian.  The Free Worlds League?  No, that can't be right.  That can't be... It wasn't until he turned to the last page of the album did the young mans hand stop trembling.  There was a photo of the man who looked like him with his arms wrapped around the waist of a much younger woman.  She wore her dark brown hair in long tresses that draped down across her shoulders and almost reached the small of her back.  Her skin was light brown and fair and her eyes he noticed showed strength beyond what a picture should portray.  On one of her slim fingers he saw the ring that now hung around his neck on a chain.  “Mom?”

The once orphan sat in silence as he looked down at the faces of his lost parents.  His father had been a mechwarrior and his mother, one of the most beautiful women he had even seen.  As his eyes began to tear up Alex tilted his head back and stared at the ceiling of his cockpit.  In a stifled voice he questioned the dead.  “What happened to them Uncle?  Why wouldn't you tell me!”  Tears rolled down the mans cheeks.  “Why are the stars no place for a child?”

A familiar, feminine electronic voice replied to Alexanders questions.  Incorrect password.  Please try again.  The mans head snapped back to facing forward.  “What?”  There was no reply this time, just silence.  Alex wiped his wet cheeks on a sleeve and checked his HUD and other instruments.  “What the hell was that?!”  Pausing a moment he thought about the motions he had just gone through.  Deciding to try he repeated everything he had said out loud.  Incorrect password.  Please try again.  You have two attempts remaining.

Alex held his breath and thought hard.  What's going on.  He started to put all of the words into context that prompted the odd computer message.  Biting his lip he thought about different combinations that might be what the computer wants to hear.  Alex' eyes suddenly widened as it dawned on him.   Always remember... “The stars are no place for a child.”  The young man recited the last words his uncle had ever said to him.

Phrase recognition accepted.  Welcome Eric Bishop.  Monitors across Alexander's HUD suddenly came to life with data.  Screens scrolled with information and a map suddenly appeared on his central council.  Leaning forward Alex watched as the shape of the Magistracy of Canopus came to life as well as a portion of the bordering worlds in the Free Worlds League.  Certain systems glowed a bright emerald in color, others a faint gold.  Switching monitors Alex noted scores of coordinates, addresses and locations all compiling in a massive list.  On another screen the computer coalesced an inventory of war material.  The Captain started to compare the planets, coordinates and particular items.  “Oh... my... Blakes Blood!”  Gambilon... Thraxa...Gallis.  The list went on.  The edges of a larger puzzle began to form before Alexander' very eyes. 

That's the address of that old man here on Thraxa!  The wealth of statistics started to make sense.  Alexanders eyes locked on another address.  That... that's where I lived on Gallis!  The young mans heart raced as the very walls of his reality exploded into something very much larger than he was ready for.

chongobongo

• Corporal
« Reply #50 on: 13 August 2018, 15:51:07 »
looks like your going to have to find some more mechwarriors , how about a TO

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 14 August 2018, 13:54:14 »
Upon leaving Thraxa the Privateers were short on mechwarriors for the machines they gained from that world.  A Loose TO&E at the point would have looked like

Whitworth - Light Damage - CO Alexander "Lucky" Bishop - 4/4 Regular
Panther - Light Damage - XO Martha "Peg Leg" McKay - 4/5 Regular
Jenner - Engine Damage - Liam Grant - 4/5 Regular
Blackjack - Repaired - Brian Swanky - 5/6 Green
Trebuchet - Light Damage - Zephyr Tenneson - 5/6 Green

Vindicator - Gyro and Engine Damage
Cicada - Engine and Leg Damage
Hermes - Gyro Damage
Wolverine - Head Damage
Centurion - Leg Damage
Warhammer - Leg Damage

Other Assets would be things like 2x Prime Movers, Union Dropship Ascending Night  and some equipment, armor and munitions left over.  Did this up from memory and looking at my old game write ups but I think it's mostly accurate.

chongobongo

• Corporal
« Reply #52 on: 16 August 2018, 08:15:03 »
Good start on a solid merc unit . Hopefully those other locations he just found out about has some parts for his damaged units . Keep it up your doing a great job on the story .

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 16 August 2018, 16:26:58 »
You know I am kinda now interested in the “Devil's Wake” group, who unlike most mercs seem to have stashed "hardware" all over this side of the sphere.  Almost makes me wonder if they were not someone's "Black Project" Merc Unit, so they can arrive as civilian tourists and then "arm up" when ready for the mission.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #54 on: 16 August 2018, 16:45:32 »
Chapter 13
Capital City, Space Port
April 4 3022

Capital City' space port was a buzz with activity.  Cargo lifters moved crates of equipment while mechwarriors did final checks on their battlemechs before walking them to secured berths aboard a Union class dropship named the Ascending Night.  Wilik Fore stood at parade rest just outside a security check point on the tarmac and watched as the mercenary unit Bishops Privateers prepare to depart.  A freshly painted, tan colored Blackjack slowly began to make its way up the ships ramp and the Lieutenant couldn't help but smile at the Canopian colors of emerald and gold that ran parallel down the mechs right side.

“It's amazing that Cole was able to fix up that Gyro.” A familiar voice caused Wilik to look to his right.  Standing there also looking out across the tarmac was Alexander.  The man was almost unrecognizable in civilian clothes.  The only military tell he wore was some old, torn up flight jacket.  “I agree Captain Bishop.  That man could probably make an actuator out of a paper clip if he had to.”  An amused look crossed the young mercenaries face.  “Did you just make a joke Lieutenant?  That's new.  And please, call me Alex.” 

Wilik turned to face the man that possibly had saved his world.  He noted the Captain had let his black hair grow out in an unruly fashion and now wore dark stubble across his face.  Something was different about the mercenary he had met almost a year ago.  “No can do Captain Bishop.  Around these parts you have to buy that rank and it's a lot of money.  Enjoy the position.”  He let himself relax and grin at his now friend.  “Very well Ensign Fore” Bishop shot back a grin as he made fun of the fact Thraxians sometimes migrate from proper Magistracy rank. 

Taking the comment in good stride the Commando officer turned his attention back to the Blackjack just to see it disappear into the reinforced hull of the dropship.  “I'm surprised you're leaving already.  Despite the Governor, the Colonel was willing to give you an extended lease on the space you were using.  The extra down time would have been good to consolidate you gains and work on repairs.”  Wilik' eyes fell to a a Prime Mover now making its way up the ramp slowly, a Cicada strapped securely to its massive flatbed.  “Though I guess you doing something unexpected isn't out of character.”

“I have to ride the wave of popularity, or notoriety, that the Privateers have gained here.  Being approached for a contract was unforeseen but fortuitous.  The more I get my peoples name out the higher likelihood of our success.”  Lieutenant Fore found himself nodding in agreement with Alexander' assessment.  “I suppose you're right Captain.  Maybe I just sleep a little better at night knowing you and yours are still planet side here.”  Both men laughed, but Wilik had meant what he said.  These mercenaries had helped protect his people and their way of life. 

“Where are you headed if you don't mind me asking?”  Wilik watched Bishop as he weighed a response.  The mission must be something out of the ordinary.  “Well, I can't say where but I was hired on by some company called Vixen Corp Consortium.  They need help putting down some self proclaimed bandit king named William “La Mort” Roax.”  The mercenary shrugged.  “The pay is low but the customer said they just want the planet secured so the pirates -junk- is ours as they put it.  It should be a straight forward in and out mission, not like what happened here.”

“Well Captain, I wish you luck”  Lieutenant Fore extended is hand to Alex.  “If you ever find yourself back on Thraxa be sure to look me up.”  The mercenary took his hand and agreed before turning and taking his leave towards his people and dropship.  Wilik watched him go and wondered what the stars held next for the young man.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2018, 16:49:02 by Drunkninja »

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #55 on: 16 August 2018, 21:49:45 »
It'll be a trap of course... but we wait on baited breath to find out...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 17 August 2018, 01:33:22 »
A straight forward mission, now that is funny.
When are merc mission's ever normal. >:D
Growing up is optional.

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #57 on: 18 August 2018, 18:07:10 »
Chapter 14 Book Two
Vixen, Lost World
Nadir Point, Jumpship Kelly's Triumph
July 7 3022

It had always amazed Alexander how people were able to rule star spanning empires.  With such great distances between worlds, protecting borders and waging wars on your neighbor was an abstract thought to him.  It was technology that made it all possible and Alex knew he'd never get use to the gut wrenching feeling of having his reality torn apart and sewn back together traveling the cosmos. 

It had been an hour since the Kelly's Triumph had made its jump into the once lost system and still the mercenary did not feel at ease.  He stared out the small port hole in the side of the dropship and looked into the void.  The presence of the other jumpship bothered him.  Why isn't your solar sail deployed?  Where are your dropships?  The Captain's train of thought was interrupted by a light knock on his door.  “Enter.”  He stated but continued his star gazing.  Lieutenant McKay opened the steel hatch and made her way through, hanging onto handles as she moved.  She did not seem to do too well with the weightlessness of space.

“Ship inspections cleared Captain.  All is still secure in the cargo bay.  Captain Schmitz has given the operation a green light.  Just waiting to hear from the Kelly's Triumph to detach and make our burn towards the planet.”  Alexander didn't reply as he continued to stare out the port hole.  “Captain?”  Why do I have this uneasy feeling.  “Out of respect for Captain Schmitz Lieutenant, while I am on his vessel the courteous title for addressing me is Major.”  Alex finally turned to face his XO.  “It's a good habit to be in to not insult our new found and generous friend.”  He watched as Martha' cheeks flushed.  “Yes sir!”

“Thank you for giving me an update.  We should probably make our way to the bridge.”  Alex watched Martha nod and take her leave.  Stealing one more look out into the void, he turned and made his way through the hatch as well.  Navigating his way through the zero gravity towards the upper decks, the young mans mind began to wander again.  Bass.  If all goes well here on Vixen, that's where we'll go next.  The visage of a large glowing gold dot on the map of a star scape shined brightly in Alexander' minds eye.  It displayed the same color of pip as my home and the old man.  Maybe it's a person who's still alive!

The hatchway to the bridge hissed open and the Captain pulled himself through before carefully closing the protective door behind him.  Making sure he found a place near Captain Schmitz but out of the way of the crews work, he settled into a restful position while hanging onto a support railing.  “Ah, Herr Bishop!  Welcome to my bridge Major!  I see you survived the jump.  Excellent!”  Alex noticed the Captains cheery attitude.  He's been like this since -rescuing- him from Thraxa's Bureaucracy.  “Barely Captain. I don't believe I'll ever get use to that sensation.  Status report?”  Straight to business.

“The green light has been given from the Kelly's Triumph to detach.  On your word we head planet side.”  He paused as if reading Alexander' mind.  “No word from the other jumpship.  Either she's a hostile running silent or it's derelict, Major.”  The mercenary chewed his lower lip in thought for a moment considering the danger, but decided to brave what awaited them.  “All speed to the planet Captain Schmitz.”  The Lyran began to bark orders to different stations as a chorus of “Yes sirs” followed. 

Just a straight forward in and out sort of mission.  Alex hoped that were true, but the shadow cast by the quiet jumpship darkened his spirits.

Vixen, Lost World
July 20 3022

Most men would have been at least nervous about their first high altitude insertion while piloting a battlemech.  The idea of ground dwelling warmachines plummeting towards the ground at high speed wasn't something pilots looked forward to, but Alex found himself filled with apathy as the god of death stared up at him from the planets surface.  His concern was only with his people, though both Liam Grant and Martha McKay had reassured him that they had preformed the maneuver before and could handle it. 

The Captain had called for the insertion after Schmitz brought his attention to enemy activity when they broke the planets atmosphere.  He had found a patrol lance of mechs near the dropships chosen LZ and had asked Alex how they would proceed.  A surprise attack on top of the pirates seemed to be the best course of action.  “Status.”  Captain Bishop questioned through clenched teeth as the intense g-force from the drop pressed against him.

“Dagger reporting.  Systems and course holding.  2025 feet and falling fast.  Preparing deceleration.  Out.”  Alexander double checked his own distance from the ground.  “Hammer One reporting.  Systems and course holding Captain.  1845 feet, initiating deceleration on mark.”  A loud roar of exhaust began to scream over the comms.  “Mark.  Out.”  Here we go.  Alex  began to tap into his fusion reactor for the raw power required to stop his Whitworth' descent before becoming a small spatter on the ground below.  Heat began to spike in his cockpit as he pedaled his jump jet controls to create long bursts of force to oppose gravity.  His battlemech began to shake violently and Alex suddenly recalled a lecture one of his teachers in the academy had performed that briefly touched on the exact maneuver he was conducting.  “...and without a Drop Cocoon I would strongly suggest finding another means of assault.  Only the desperate or crazy would throw a battlemech out of a dropship.”  Sweat poured from the Captains face as heat continued to bleed from his engine. 

4...3...2...1 Alexander cut his jump jets at the last moment before slamming into the ground.  His Whitworth' actuators squealed in protest as the mercenary let the machines legs bend at the knee to absorb some of the impact.  Restraining straps dug into flesh as Alex fought his controls while nearly vomiting from a surge of dizziness due his gyro grasping onto his own sense of balance.  Death did not greet him this day. 

“Contact!” A female voice barked out over the units secure comm channel.  The wave of nausea began to pass and the Captain suddenly realized Martha was already engaged with the enemy.  Checking his HUD he identified a pirate Commando, Whitworth, and a machine the computer wanted to classify as a Centurion but said it could also be a Vindicator because of its weight class.  The hell is that?  Alex cycled his monitor to take a better look at the mystery mech.  To him it looked like the incarnation of a Slender Man.  A monster from ghost stories told at the orphanage where he grew up.  “Dagger, Hammer One.  Can you get an ID on that strange medium?”  A duet of negatives came back to him.  Cursing, he throttled up as there wasn't any more time to wonder.  The pirates were coming in fast as they seemed to be spoiling for a fight.

The forward momentum of the bandit machines surprised the commander of the Privateers.  Only having time to exchange two salvos of long range weaponry, the enemy was on top of their position in the matter of moments.  “They don't seem to want to spar at range.  Prepare for close quarters!”  If it hadn't been for the knife fight between titans, those involved might have noticed the beautiful mountain ranges covered in snow to each side of the meandering valley that was now a battlefield. 

“They're focusing me!”  Lieutenant McKay cried out in alarm as Alex tried to bring his lasers to bare against the Commando who was currently bombarding his XO' Panther with short range missiles.  Slag fell away from the 25 ton mech under the onslaught but not before the damage was done to his lancemate.  Between a torrent of missiles and laser fire from the enemy Whitworth and the large laser from the strange medium punching a hole straight into the heart of McKays center torso, Captain Bishop knew Martha was out of the fight.  The small feline head of the light battlemech suddenly broke away on a trail of fire as its pilot ejected.  The now decapitated body crashed to the snow-covered ground with a failed gyro.

In a fast reprisal for his fallen comrade, Grant finished a hasty jump into the rear arc of the pirate Whitworth who had been focused on McKay' dying machine.  A chill went up through Alexander' spine as he watched the Jenner' pilot put an alpha strike into its thin protective armor and turned the mighty lord of battle into a fireball.  Sympathetic explosions erupted as multiple missiles detonated from the hit to its ammo bins. 

The Captains attention was quickly brought back to the fight as his own Whitworth was rocked by a large laser hit from the unknown machine into his right leg.  There's no cover here.  That mech has to be dealt with and dealt with now.  Making a fast sprint over frozen ground, Alexander let loose with his LRMs followed by laser fire.  At a disadvantage in fire power the young mechwarrior quickly decided to resort to melee.  Hammering his jump jet pedals just before reaching the enemy, Alex rose slightly into the air before moving his mechs leg into a kick that used the extra momentum to crash down on the enemies own leg.  Metal grated against metal before the eerie wail of breaking composite joined in the cacophony.  Alarms sounded that suddenly informed the Captain he had just lost one of his mechs legs, broken off at the knee.

Gravity followed the laws of physics and pulled both battlemechs to the ground in a cruel embrace.  Familiar stars filled Alexander' eyes as he tried to read the stream of data his HUD was feeding him.  The thought of ejecting raced through his mind before getting vetoed by the simple fact his launch would be fouled by being tangled up in the strange opponents gangly machine.  Comms suddenly came to life with the voice of his lancemate.  “Captain, the Commando is retreating.”

It wouldn't be until a short time after the battle that Alex learned the enemy mech had tried to kick his Whitworth at the same time as he landed his own blow.  The salvage team had to pull both dismembered legs apart before bringing them back to the dropship.

Canopus IV
Magistracy of Canopus
Crimson City
July 20 3022

The tall, slender woman whose hair reminded the man of a dark chocolate sat comfortably on the plush sofa across from him in the mansions sitting room.  He had always found the circle of nobles from Crimson to be exceptionally flaunting with their bodies and Lady Jasu proved to be no different.  Thin, golden laced silk wrapped the womans body in a toga that left nothing to the imagination.

“So you see , there is nothing more to note about my visit to Thraxa.”  The man could tell she was laying the honey on thick.  “I awarded the mercenaries what I thought them owed, nothing more.”  His eyes devoured her movements, but not for the reason she wanted him to.  “I have no idea what interest the Magistracy Intelligence Ministry would have in some home grown, patriotic mercenary.”

The man ran a hand back across his shaven scalp as if to show frustration and defeat.  “So all you have is his name and dossier.  Very well Lady Jasu, I appreciate your time.”  He slowly got to his feet, giving her time to add anything of use to the conversation.  When all she offered was an invite to her chambers, the agent took his leave.

Walking the streets of the city was a habit the spy had picked up over the years and did so when he needed to clear his mind.  Something about the busy sounds blurring together seemed to give him clarity of thought.  It could just be a coincidence.  The man shook his head.  No, you need to be sure if it's him.

The city was alive with its never ending party, but all the man could think about was a child who had died with his parents twenty years ago.

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 22 August 2018, 19:21:50 »
Chapter 15
Vixen, Lost World
Ruins of Star League Era City
July 22 3022

The Jenner' feet stomped into the snow covered ferrocrate with a rhythmic beat.  Moving fast and with purpose, the light recon machine pushed forward at desperate pace and skirted by streets that were filled will infantry.  Liam knew better than to get too close to a brave soldier with a satchel charge while piloting a scout mech.  A lesson he had learned while fighting for the Davions.  “Dagger reporting.  Engaging target.”  Slamming feet onto his foot pedals with experienced timing, the mechwarrior took flight in his Jenner just in time to crest a ruined low rise apartment complex and bring his weapons to bare on his soon to be victim.

A thick smoke filled the parking lot where Liam found the LRM Carrier.  It had just sent another massive barrage of missiles down field toward his allies and the exhaust it created reminded him of a thick mornings fog.  His targeting computer pierced the veil and made good with his assault of laser fire just before the mechs landing required his attention.  Heat boiled over into the small cockpit of the wily battlemech as its pilot feathered a landing only those with a practiced touch could accomplish.

Maintaining a forward momentum, the Privateer followed up his lasers with a spread of short range missiles that tore into the tanks weakened side armor plating.  The explosion that followed drowned out the sound of heavy machine fire chipping away at Jenner' thin hide.  Turning his mech and angling it towards another side street, Liam tore away from the parking lot  before the APC's that were guarding the unfortunate tankers could do any real damage.  “Dagger reporting.  Target down.” 

“Roger that.  Good job Dagger.  Get back to us in one piece.  Crossing no man's land now.”  Liam wiped sweat away from his eyes as he worked his mechs controls and paid attention to his HUD to ensure he navigated the labyrinth of ruined streets.  After hearing Lieutenant McKay' voice over the comms his minded drifted to the prior night that they had spent together.  The cramped confines of her cabin and the intimate moments.  That train of thought was quickly ruined however as Brian Swansky's surprised voice filled Liam' ears. 

“That mech just hit me at over five hundred meters with a laser!  Wait, the hell is that thing.”  Panic permeated the green mechwarriors voice.  The units comm chatter increased as the new recruit Mathers chimed in.  “Is that an assault mech, dear god....”  Liam' mind began to run frantic as he listened to the confused comments from his comrades until Captain Bishop cleared the channel.  “Focus people.  Hammer one, keep those Vedette' bottled up in the ally ways.  Hammer Two and Three, concentrate fire on the Thunderbolt.  Hammer Four, suppress that hovercraft and cover my six.  Leave the assault to me... and Dagger, get back here double time.”  A chorus of yes sirs followed and Liam found himself joining them.

Precious seconds past as the light mech specialist made sure his machine kept its footing as it sped along the slick ferrocrate streets while he rushed to rejoin the fight.  Turning a sharp corner and coming under infantry fire, Liam arrived at an intersection junction with a large overpass.  Holding the center was an enormous battlemech his warbook could not identify and at that very moment was unleashing hell onto the Privateers Blackjack.  Through his reinforced cockpit view screen, Liam watched as Swansky's mech was rag dolled backwards and thrown through the bridge portion of the pass under the onslaught.  Not wasting a moment, the pilot throttled up his machine to a full run now that he had room to maneuver and sped towards the assaults partner, a Thunderbolt

Following the Captains last orders for a prioritized target, Liam closed range and started an attack run against the much larger heavy.  The Thunderbolt looked a little worse for wear as it was evident the Privateers had engaged the pirate.  The familiar hum of energy weapons charging followed by a wave of heat accompanied the light pilots attack on his foe.  Lasers cut into the thick torso of the iconic machine before slashing across mangled armor plating on its left arm.  Black smoke coiled into the air from the hit as once solid metal slagged and fell into the snow below.

The Thunderbolt' pilot didn't have time to eject.  Due to a design flaw and to Liam' surprise the heavy battlemech erupted into a ball of fire as its machine gun ammunition exploded.  “Dagger reporting.  Returned to the fight.”  He couldn't help but grin before hearing his Captains voice.  “Roger that Dagger.  Relieve Hammer Four and hunt down that blasted hovercraft.”  Liam could tell Alex was in a hard spot.  As he raced past, he saw the Captains newly acquired Warhammer send azure death towards the assault mech, who was returning the favor in full with a savage laser and autocannon barrage.  “Wilco.” He simply stated and made best speed back into the twisting streets of the ancient city. 

“Vedette' neutralized.”  Lieutenant McKay stated on the comms, then followed with.  “The Wolverine' cockpit replacement is garbage.”  This time she spoke over a private channel .  “I swear Cole better fix this better or it'll get me killed.”  Liam felt a pang of worry.  “You better make it back to my bed safe Martha.”  There was a pause before she replied “I will” and then followed on open comms again with “Engaging enemy assault.”

The hovercraft he was told to subdue was a fast one.  Liam' warbook appeared to be useless once again, but to his advantage the enemy pilot couldn't maximize their speed due to the cluttered streets.  The game of cat and mouse began as he left the main fight to the larger battlemechs.  Passing through a four way intersection both machines lined up shots on each other and exchanged laser and missile fire.  His HUD displayed yellow warning lights as the damage spread he had taken ate at his thin armor.  I lost that exchange.  He quietly thought to himself.

“Assault mech down.  I repeat assault mech down.”  A wave of cheers echoed over the units comms, following their lieutenants voice..  All across the battlefield the pirates began to surrender.  “Martha, what happened?”  The question was quickly answered in a super excited tone.  “I got his head!”

The self proclaimed bandit king William “Le Mort” Roax was dead.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 22 August 2018, 21:31:19 »
It will be interesting to see what type of assault that was. :thumbsup:
Growing up is optional.

Register