Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163449 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #1110 on: 07 May 2019, 11:31:44 »
Uuhh, no, the seiyuu for singing & talking are the same. Poppin' Party & Roselia even play their own instruments.
Huh, no shit? ??? Singing voices sound so different to me
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1111 on: 07 May 2019, 11:32:12 »
Finally started watching the new FMP. Am I hearing things or did they change out like 90% of the original dub cast?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1112 on: 07 May 2019, 11:40:16 »
English or Japanese dub?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1113 on: 07 May 2019, 13:03:40 »
English
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1114 on: 07 May 2019, 13:40:12 »
Huh, no shit? ??? Singing voices sound so different to me

I'm honestly kinda thrown by your assessment, because I find them really easy to pick out by voice when they're performing, & I can't say that about a lot of anison groups! Aimi who voices Kasumi has the cutest little vibrato in her voice that I really love! :smitten:

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1115 on: 07 May 2019, 16:00:40 »
Am I hearing things or did they change out like 90% of the original dub cast?
Just checked the cast for the English dub and nope, it's all the same people as in the other seasons.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1116 on: 07 May 2019, 17:18:38 »
Just checked the cast for the English dub and nope, it's all the same people as in the other seasons.

It's only been a decade. People's voices can change a lot in that kind of time, unfortunately.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1117 on: 07 May 2019, 18:04:17 »
I guess it makes sense.  If it's not their natural speaking voices, it could be tough to get back into the voice too.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1118 on: 13 May 2019, 09:24:35 »
Quick question: Did they finish the Dub for My Hero Academia Season 3? That show is full of all kinds of visuals, and would hate to miss something because I'm trying to read the dialogue.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1119 on: 14 May 2019, 13:55:11 »
Mysteria Friends episode #9 cracked me up:
My god, how can two princesses cause so many problems?!
:lol:
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1120 on: 14 May 2019, 18:00:07 »
Finished FMP4.  While I didn't expect it to wrap up the whole series, I sure as hell didn't expect it to be so open ended either.  The new mech was a little too convenient too.  And maybe a little too powerful.  I mean, what's a threat to them at this point?  Not that it needs a spoiler tag.  It's in the opening credits.  ::)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1121 on: 16 May 2019, 15:26:59 »
Gigguk over YouTube has a video titled The Death of Classic Anime, where he explains why new anime don't qualify as classics. He curses a lot and has scenes from GITS movie and other NSFW material, so I don't link here, but you can look it up. To sum up the video:
We've been spoilt for choice and it kind of shows when I think this spring season is kind of weak just because it only has two shows I'm super hyped for and five shows I think are pretty good. Ge-ge GET OUT OF HERE!
How many good anime shows did we have in 1990's in a weak season? :screw_loose:

With that said, I argue some recent anime can qualify as classics. At least Goblin Slayer for fans curb-stomping the made-up outrage. That was epic.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1122 on: 16 May 2019, 16:44:38 »
Does he also complain about the kids on his lawn? ::)
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1123 on: 16 May 2019, 19:13:56 »
Gigguk over YouTube has a video titled The Death of Classic Anime, where he explains why new anime don't qualify as classics. He curses a lot and has scenes from GITS movie and other NSFW material, so I don't link here, but you can look it up. To sum up the video:How many good anime shows did we have in 1990's in a weak season? :screw_loose:

I've been listening to this same, sad, tired "Why no more Cowboy Bebop? lament for nearly two decades now....  :D

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1124 on: 16 May 2019, 22:23:51 »
We do have new classics, although that often is not apparent until some time has passed.

One of the key attributes for a classic, to me, is how often it gets re-watched. An anime can be a very good one, but I think its the classics that are not only good but get watched over and over again by a broad spectrum of fans.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1125 on: 16 May 2019, 22:40:29 »
One of the key attributes for a classic, to me, is how often it gets re-watched. An anime can be a very good one, but I think its the classics that are not only good but get watched over and over again by a broad spectrum of fans.
That's what he says, and you sum it up well. He also says that instead of re-watching something from last year, people are more likely to watch something new because it is just as good or better than what was before. But he mentions Legend of the Galactic Heroes because it's over 100 episode epic which aren't made anymore.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1126 on: 17 May 2019, 00:14:23 »
Does it really make sense to complain about the lack of "classics" from media produced in the last few years?  Classics are by definition something that get their designation after they're already old.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1127 on: 17 May 2019, 02:13:46 »
Let's be realistic. What's termed "classics" in common parlance are simply anime produced by either Studio Deen, Gainax, Madhouse or Sunrise that were ported to the US. And that goes for literally all of them.

There are anime with commercial success in the US that aren't quite considered classics due to different target audience (...OLM), and there are anime with classics status outside the above group, also due to a somewhat different target audience (...Studio Ghibli) - but let's just ignore that.

I personally think that there are recent anime that have broken into the classics zone. One Punch Man for example. Love Live. Assassination Classroom. Log Horizon. Fate. It's not like there's been only mass spam produced in the last five to ten years.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #1128 on: 17 May 2019, 20:35:10 »
We do have new classics, although that often is not apparent until some time has passed.

I agree with this.  And I do think there are some newer anime that have the potential to become considered as "classics", but are either not done yet (so they still have the potential to go off the rails) or have not had yet enough time to truly allow for those rewatching cycles to really establish themselves.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1129 on: 18 May 2019, 11:02:34 »
My personal short list of anime which I believe will become to be considered classics, for varying reasons and not because I happen to like them:

-Toradora!

-Spice & Wolf

-A Place Further than the Universe

-Girls und Panzer

-Your Name

We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1130 on: 18 May 2019, 12:39:12 »
I'd agree with you on spice and wolf if they had finished it.  I think over all I preferred it to the manga.  I was extremely disappointed that the manga only covered the whole pyrite plot in a single panel flash back.  It was one of the best parts of the whole anime.

Based on its success, I don't think too many would argue with you on Your Name.  Definitely one I regularly recommend to people.  I might be too pushy about it though.  I can't get anyone to watch it.  xp

Girls und Panzer is certainly a favorite of mine, but I don't know if I could argue for or against it being a future classic.

Never seen the other two.

How old does something have to be to be considered a classic anyway?  I'd say Ghost in the Shell is a classic, but the franchise is still alive and well. Does that stop it from being a classic?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1131 on: 18 May 2019, 13:25:07 »
GitS is a franchise, so individual works can be considered classics, like the original manga or Stand Alone Complex.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1132 on: 18 May 2019, 15:03:01 »
Ugh. Wrong thread
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 15:29:54 by Luciora »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1133 on: 18 May 2019, 20:40:00 »
Just got back from an unplanned Anime Central trip.  Spent way too much.  Like holy crap, what was I thinking.

Gate
Princess Principle
No Game No Life Zero
Girls Last Tour (fancy box)
Girls und Panzer PS4 game
Full Metal Panic PS4 game (didn't know this was a thing!)
kizuna ai shirt
One of those fancy effects sets for displaying figures.

I set out to find a Gabriel figure at one point, but it turns out the only one they make is $250 and dumb looking.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1135 on: 19 May 2019, 15:23:19 »
When I first saw the model for the "tank" girl, my first thought was "damn, I really want to see an anime from this!"   After seeing the trailer for the show, I was quickly disappointed.  The movie trailer only furthers my disappointment.  Careful what you wish for I guess.  Or at least be more specific?

I did eventually get that model.  Slowly but surely getting it put together.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1136 on: 20 May 2019, 08:15:58 »
Just got back from an unplanned Anime Central trip.  Spent way too much.  Like holy crap, what was I thinking.

Acen has a way of doing that!  ;D

Seeing as it was very much a Revue Starlight/IdolM@ster con, I was absolutely over the moon all weekend at Anime Central! Got a wall scroll signed by the director, asst. director, character designer & prop designer for Revue Starlight & saw their presentation on the making of the series, Sonoda's rough cut of the Riding Bean kickstarter OVA, & saw a ton of friends! It was so blindingly bright!

If you haven't seen it, Princess Principal is an awesome series, & Dream Tank Match is a real fun game! I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1137 on: 21 May 2019, 23:09:42 »
In anime club meeting one of the members played Hi Score Girl through his Netflix account. Titular girl is a mute model student who makes regular visits to arcade. Protagonist is a guy though who gets regularly beaten and otherwise abused by the girl and others. As target of school bullying myself, I can't really empathize with this sort of thing. The games shown are real ones in their real names. First episode has Street Fighter II and Final Fight. That's all right, but bullying/abuse isn't.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1138 on: 22 May 2019, 02:33:29 »
I've long been very uncomfortable with how regularly bullying and abuse are shown as either funny or somehow positive in a lot of anime.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1139 on: 22 May 2019, 06:18:33 »
Like most things in anime, it's somebody's fetish, more accurately a great many somebodies. Despite having a relatively positive experience with Haganai, Yozora's treatment of Sena made me kind of uncomfortable, despite the joke being that Sena will put up with anything... :-\
« Last Edit: 22 May 2019, 14:17:00 by MadCapellan »

Register