Poll

Wolfhound vs. JagerMech

JM6-S JagerMech!
WLF-1 Wolfhound!
Draw / Too Close to Call.

Author Topic: FIGHT NIGHT! Saturday Edition: Wolfhound vs. JagerMech!  (Read 13758 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: FIGHT NIGHT! Saturday Edition: Wolfhound vs. JagerMech!
« Reply #60 on: 11 April 2012, 00:28:58 »
I'm well aware of that, but anything other than mech vs mech is outside the scope of this thread.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #61 on: 11 April 2012, 12:48:18 »
i cant believe these guys are still fighting.. i mean the jagers only got so much armor... this thread gotta be like LAST YEAR old...

my interpretation was standard maps (like 2 of them, like out of the box).. standard ammo.. standard versions of mechs.. standard pilots... etc.. b ut it always get s into this "well if i took precicion ammo" or ""if I had the "M' version wolverine i could blah bah bah... etc etc offshoots... in a BASIC... MUNCHKINLESS NON UPGRADED  MATCHUP... the wolfhound would kick its ass the end.
retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #62 on: 11 April 2012, 13:55:13 »
When people call it one of the worst mechs ever, it becomes fair to add context. The post saying it would be a fair match to have the Jager go up against the Stinger may have been using hyperbole, but it fit in context by calling it one of the worst mechs in 3025. Mech v mech is not the only thing in Battletech afterall.

Yes, the post was "hyperbole", in that I wouldn't really want to take a lone Stinger up against a JM, but I WOULD try it with a basic LCT-1V Locust (DID it in a multiplayer game, actually, and it wasn't exactly pretty for the JM).

The JM is a highly specialized AA design at best, in a role which I feel could be done much more effectively and cheaply by a vehicle instead of a 'Mech.  Both the cheaper and lighter RFL and BJ already cover the AA 'Mech niche almost as adequately, in my opinion, and are more than a match for the JM in almost any other role.

The JM has enough firepower at range to make it beneficial to take out as quickly as possible, and not even close to sufficient armor to weather the special attention that it will generate.  In short, if it's ever in anyone's weapons range, it's going to die quickly and horribly.  It's most appropriate place on the battlefield is....just off the edge of the actual battlefield, where it can do its job in at least reasonable safety.

The hilariously bad matchup as originally posted was a case of taking a fish out of water and pitting it against something that naturally eats fish.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #63 on: 11 April 2012, 14:07:04 »
The hilariously bad matchup as originally posted was a case of taking a fish out of water and pitting it against something that naturally eats fish.
I hate you for how hard I laughed at this.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 11 April 2012, 15:09:35 »
The JM is a highly specialized AA design at best, in a role which I feel could be done much more effectively and cheaply by a vehicle instead of a 'Mech.  Both the cheaper and lighter RFL and BJ already cover the AA 'Mech niche almost as adequately, in my opinion, and are more than a match for the JM in almost any other role.

Different experiences lead to different ideas. Thus I will have to disagree with your opinion, most particularly on the Blackjack. Pushing it any further would outright derail the thread.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2012, 15:11:46 by Minemech »

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 11 April 2012, 17:23:53 »
Okay I will pose the situation differently as it seems some people have already caught on to the point: Jagermechs are pathetic attempts at trying to make autocannons viable which really only ever worked for thr "bubble o doom" effeft the AC/20 has... easy to single out... easy to crit... easy to beat the shit out of the mech that thinks its bigbad cuz of all its autocannons who do bitch damage.... cept the 10 and 20... but the ones with the 10 and 20... that would be Centurion, Hunchback, Enforcer, hatchet... which one is easiest to corner and blast it into little chunks cuz it wont be jumping anywhere?
retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.

katya_Kerensky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 04 July 2012, 18:39:40 »
Wolfhound obviously has the Jager at a disadvantage, but a kick from a Jager is nothing to sneeze at.   Course I wouldn't wanna be stuck in a Jager but I like the mech because it adds flavor to the universe and its a handy mech to have in a company (Insert go go Davion comments)  But after seeing how it looks on MWO, I'm warming up fast to playing the fire support role if I get to do it in bulky style
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."
City Fighting-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20092.0.html
Sword of Light-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18206.msg416054.html#msg416054
Lyran Guards-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18212.msg411418.html#msg411418
3rd Edition love-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18214.0.html

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #67 on: 04 July 2012, 18:44:16 »
Requesting a mod lock this thread, as it's long past its expiration date.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #68 on: 05 July 2012, 08:19:30 »
Wolfhound obviously has the Jager at a disadvantage, but a kick from a Jager is nothing to sneeze at.   Course I wouldn't wanna be stuck in a Jager but I like the mech because it adds flavor to the universe and its a handy mech to have in a company (Insert go go Davion comments)  But after seeing how it looks on MWO, I'm warming up fast to playing the fire support role if I get to do it in bulky style

The real reason they made the Jagermech was so House Davion would have a Common Design that wasn't completely awesome.

Still I tend to like the Jagermech to some degree, just not in a duel.  With a Lance supporting it and covering some of its weaknesses, its a good fire support machine.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

beyond.wudge

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 06 July 2012, 04:12:20 »
specialty ammunition wouldn't be found on the stock level 1 versions of the mechs. If the Jager had specialty ammo, the wolfhound would probably have better lasers, double heat sinks, and so on too as befits the time period when all that special ammo was introduced.

And the Jager would have two gauss rifles, dhs and 116 points of armour in that case, the JM6-DG.

Specialty ammo is not an upgrade to the mech. Same way infernos aren't.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #70 on: 13 July 2012, 11:14:10 »
The Jager has 1(2) chance to hold range open or get off sniper shots......so claim a hill & park while the Hound has to cross open ground or back up each turn over a pancake map.
Maybe you get lucky & land enough shots to slow him down or open a whole for when the range closes.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #71 on: 13 July 2012, 11:20:59 »
specialty ammunition wouldn't be found on the stock level 1 versions of the mechs. If the Jager had specialty ammo, the wolfhound would probably have better lasers, double heat sinks, and so on too as befits the time period when all that special ammo was introduced.

The "stock" mechs still exist in 3062, albeit most likely in garrisons rather than more well-equipped units, and I'm guessing that specialty ammo would be a cheap, but relatively effective upgrade that such a formation would be likely to get.

And the Jager would have two gauss rifles, dhs and 116 points of armour in that case, the JM6-DG.

Specialty ammo is not an upgrade to the mech. Same way infernos aren't.

Pretty much.  I like using special ammo in introtech level games and it adds some edge without breaking the game.  I wish the 1/2 ammo thing would go away though...  why don't missiles suffer the same fate?

Interesting thought.
The OP isn't clarifying year 3025, just happens to be using TRO3025 mechs.
I'd agree, its not a BV mod & its not against he rules, and Precision ammo would likely tip this fight from Hound to Jager in a hurry IMHO.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #72 on: 13 July 2012, 18:23:22 »
I doubt that.  It'd get the Jaeger better odds of delivering a couple of hits, but like I said back when this thread first started, the Wolfhound can take the kind of hits that the Jaeger can deliver pretty well.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register