Author Topic: Cached Orions- refit or not?  (Read 5723 times)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Re: Cached Orions- refit or not?
« Reply #30 on: 16 April 2018, 20:10:13 »
While I don't disagree, the fact is there is lots of canon material that doesn't support that.

We have scenario rosters that just have basic SLDF mechs on them & we have 3067 rosters that still don't show lots of hybrid tech in those clusters.

"Customizing" their ride isn't supposed to be something that every warrior does. 
Natasha gets a Widowmaker,  MW Jimbob gets a Direwolf-Prime/A/B.
We don't see everyone swapping out their MPL for 2 ERMLs just because its more damage that way.  Etc etc.

Making that ERPPC-c work on a Griffin-1N platform now means I also have to refit it with DHS.
Which means more time on a chassis that still lacks CASE & will get blown sky high on an ammo crit.

There will be exceptions but I'm thinking the majority of ERPPCs are being used for the Whammer & Marauder IIC models that need 5 of them per pair produced.

Standard Armor, Structure, & Heatsinks are still used on many mechs/tanks/fighters so those aren't in short supply.
So it just comes down to replacing the weapons if you eventually run out & they had divisions & divisions of gear that was stored in brian caches when they decommissioned 3/4 of the SLDF. 

This all assumes that you have to replace it, you can just fix the damaged one as long as it wasn't totally destroyed.

There are rules in Klondike for some tweaking of mechs for officers & they don't involve massive rebuilds.
I'd say uses those for your "hero" units & everyone else is still packing the "Standard" model of said unit.
Until we have more Golden Century material, I don't think this'll be answered. So "whatever works on your table," as usual.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #31 on: 16 April 2018, 20:39:05 »
I know most of them in FMU were IS units, but access to SL spec parts before the Invasion would have had to be getting sparse . . . maybe afterwards I can see it, but when the Diamond Sharks built units to sell to the IS they used old problematic Clan parts- like the Gauss Rifles for Mad Cat Mk II that had been located in stockpiles rather than used for Omnis.
Consider this: wasn't the FM:U introduced before the concept of Royal designs? Presumably one part of FM:U to be itself updated would be the RATS for 3067 to include Royals in the 2nd line Clan RAT's, as well as being expanded the die roll ranges from 11 to 18~20)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 17 April 2018, 13:19:15 »
For some fluff, and out of respect to the Great Father - what if they use them hard until they die in battle, and then recycle them (back to raw metal if need be) to reuse in further mech construction?

Mind you, specifically melting down the IS and Armor (or what you will) of a Mech and sending that metal off to production facilities might not be super time/cash efficient compared to mining... but it both fits the Clan ‘efficiency with limited resources’ ethos and harkens to taking the genetic material of their successes to build future generations.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #33 on: 17 April 2018, 16:35:20 »
Outfitting old SLDF units with Klondike tech would seem a better usage of old weapons being replaced until better tech comes along.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #34 on: 17 April 2018, 23:21:54 »
Personally, I could easily see the Clans going the C route if they had the materials available. The upgrades in the Twycross book were worthy of such attentions despite most of those designs lacking any additional significance beyond being SLDF designs (the mighty steed of the great DeChavilier obviously not withstanding), so I can't help but think the Great Father's own BattleMech class wouldn't see similar.

And as it was a Clan as hidebound and traditionalist as the Jade Falcons that we first see deploying the C models, I think an Orion C would be well within reason. How was it worded? Something like "Saying that the Clans will not return to Terra is like suggesting that the sun will not rise tomorrow or that Clan Jade Falcon has forgotten the words of the Great Kerenskys." The Kerensky worship is certainly there.  :fine_print:
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #35 on: 18 April 2018, 01:38:45 »
Personally, I could easily see the Clans going the C route if they had the materials available. The upgrades in the Twycross book were worthy of such attentions despite most of those designs lacking any additional significance beyond being SLDF designs (the mighty steed of the great DeChavilier obviously not withstanding), so I can't help but think the Great Father's own BattleMech class wouldn't see similar.

And as it was a Clan as hidebound and traditionalist as the Jade Falcons that we first see deploying the C models, I think an Orion C would be well within reason. How was it worded? Something like "Saying that the Clans will not return to Terra is like suggesting that the sun will not rise tomorrow or that Clan Jade Falcon has forgotten the words of the Great Kerenskys." The Kerensky worship is certainly there.  :fine_print:
That's certainly my thoughts. The Clans upgraded salvaged machines with Clan tech when they were in need of war materiel. There's no indication that this was abhorrent to the Grand Council, or anything new. Hard to believe that 3050 was the first year they got the bright idea of installing Clan technology ER PPCs to a Thug's frame. Or swapping out an LB-X in place of the Orion's AC/10. Seems wasteful that they'd create a production line to supply ammunition to outdated equipment, no? Standard ACs didn't exist in anything currently produced in the Clan Touman. So when they pulled an ON1-K or HBK-4G from storage... what was it armed with? Where'd the ammunition come from?
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops