Author Topic: Pug Wheeled APC - WIP  (Read 4190 times)

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
Pug Wheeled APC - WIP
« on: 11 April 2011, 12:26:53 »
Just thought I'd post my latest vehicle, a wheeled platoon APC.  IMO it needs some more surface detail, but I'm not sure what to add.  Suggestions?  It's a monster for only 30 tons; overall dimensions: 4.5m x 8.125m - that's almost a meter wider than an M1 Abrams MBT!  It's packing an LRM-5, a light MG and 2 RL-10 rocket launchers.

The personnel compartment is pretty spacious for an APC, there is storage under each seat as well as a shelf behind the outer rows of seating that is 0.5m wide.  Soldiers can also stand on the shelf to access the roof hatches.  Infantry bay ceiling height is 1.85m.

Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Re: Pug Wheeled APC - WIP
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2011, 14:28:25 »
Looking good. 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2011, 17:44:06 »
Looks great, except for two minor issues: the LMG looks really too thin (maybe make it double the diameter, and with a muzzle break or fume catcher added for details), and the RL-10 pods need to be about double the size.

When you get this done, you might want to talk to Sandman about getting a 3D mini done. DO the turret as a separste piece, and you can do different variants - heck, maybe a "flatbed" version for those ISSCC containers ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2011, 17:56:28 »
I am liking the use of RL's.

One good punch and then fire-support.
Made by HikageMaru

Psyckosama

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2011, 19:40:21 »
Scale up the weapons. They all look way to small compared to the art in the TROs.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2011, 23:02:13 »
Thanks for the comments guys. 

Yea, WT I think you're right the barrel of the MG is a little thin, but not by much IMO.  The base is 50mm and tapers down to 40mm, thin, but not too thin IMO for a weapon that has a bore of between 10 and 15mm.   It does have a muzzle break, I'll scale it up too.  I don't think the rocket launcher is undersized though, not by half at least.  The rocket tube bore is 56mm, the LRM tube bore 100mm.   I will scale it up a bit but not double.

Psyckosama this vehicle is huge compared to anything in the real world.  This thing is another meter wider than an LVT-5  and those things were real monsters.  But I'd hate to be in one with 33 other marines, that's tight quarters even by sailor standards.  The weapons I've mounted on the Pug are going to look puny compared to the vehicle.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2011, 01:09:13 »
You're going for utter vermislitude - a worthy aim. But the guns look teeny weeny; all the other APCs will be laughing and waving their grossly oversized ML barrels at it ;)

Seriously - we like big guns (and we cannot lie :D). Make'em look bigger ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

boilerman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2011, 13:08:40 »
Here are some updated pics of the PUG.  There is still a lot to do but like how it's progressing.

Register