Author Topic: MineCraft Invader  (Read 3489 times)

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
MineCraft Invader
« on: 13 April 2011, 01:29:21 »
After finishing up on the Leopard Class DropShip I decided it needed away to get around so I started a Invader Class JumpShip. Its 1/2 scale, the Invader is 505m long but this model is only 252m due to server map size.

Day 01: Started with a string of 252 obsidian blocks with every tenth replaced with a red block to track size. Then built out the largest part of the Nose and Drive sections to get a feel for size.

Day 02: Adjusted the Nose and Drive sections to get a more rounded shape then laid the wire frame for the rest of the ship.

Day 03: Was filling in the wire frame. I am unhappy on how bulky the ship looks. May end up crapping the whole build down the central core and starting over.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Kargoneth

Re: MineCraft Invader
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2011, 12:17:00 »
The Invader reminds me (visually) of a bacteriophage, even down to having 6 "arms". Minecraft doesn't lend itself very well to things at angles other than 45 degrees. That said, if I may suggest:  you can approximate cones/cylinders by using something like a paint program's circle to get a cross-section of a cone/cylinder at a specified radius. Unfortunately, the circle-drawing algorithm for MS Paint seems to have rounding issues; the circle drawing tool does not make symmetrical circles.

Here is one minecraft forum thread about creating spheres, but the slices can be used to create circles and cylinders as well: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28896

This may allow your ship's body to more closely resemble the object you are trying to model rather than having a square body.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
Re: MineCraft Invader
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2011, 20:04:53 »
Thanks for the input. I will check it out. I am really unhappy with how its turning out so far.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru