Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 199027 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
The nice thing about SLRMs, is that they are exactly the weight of the corresponding IS LRM Launcher. So, if you are converting a spheroid mech and want a straight-across-the-board-swap that's an upgrade, it's hard to beat a SLRM.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Eh . . . no IDF, no special munitions, and as you mentioned they get a weight penalty from a Clan launcher perspective.  But like I said, for a secondline mech being used to garrison and give a edge in abilities over fielding a pure IS machine?  Sure.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteveRestless

• Major
The lack of indirect fire and special munitions should not come up much in honorable combat.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
The lack of indirect fire and special munitions should not come up much in honorable combat.

The greatest honor is in winning, everything else is secondary.  If you lose honorably you still lost, glory to the victor.

That said, the Streak 20 is arguably most useful when compared to any other Clan weapon as a guaranteed PSR if it connects with very good range.  Fire it at some random secondary target you're not currently actively engaging and if it doesn't go off you've lost nothing; if it does go off you make at least one more enemy struggle to stay on their feet.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Fire it at some random secondary target you're not currently actively engaging and if it doesn't go off you've lost nothing; if it does go off you make at least one more enemy struggle to stay on their feet.
Now i'm imagining something knocking down four targets at once...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Hmm, did the Crusader Wolves take over a Longbow line?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Hmm, did the Crusader Wolves take over a Longbow line?
Well, there is a Starcorps Plant on Terra that evidently produced the LGB-12C.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
the wolves are close to a few longbow lines but don't control them on the eve of ilclan - emris iv and loburg.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Maybe next year we'll find out.  There zero jabber about the next part of the Shattered Fortress/IllClan sequel.  My gut feeling it's will be surprise or not at all until they mention it.  There not even a name for the thing.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Natasha Kerensky strikes again!

Tonight was Round 2 in our tournament; add another 5k to the force you had, minimum 6 units and 3 hours of play.

Rnd 1
Timber Wolf C (3/5)- 3000 BV
Mist Lynx C (4/4)
Elemental L (3/5)

Rnd 2
Dire Wolf Widowmaker (2/4)- nearly 4900 BV
Clan Motorized Point (LRM) 3 gunners, 65 BV x2

Leading her 13th Wolf Guards, Natasha fended off a FedCom raid from troops who come from old Lyran formations.  The reinforced medium lance that her patrol found did not hesitate to engage but showed some reluctance to close.  The mechwarrior later determined to be the force commander seemed stunned when on the initial salvo his Griffin 3M took three solid hits at long range from the Black Widow . . . two ERPPC hits and a single LPL though the fourth glassed a rocky outcropping instead of hitting the fire support medium.  Armor was stripped off his LRM ammo bins though none of the missiles were touched off.

Natasha crested her own hill to settle among some light woods, even if she was not perched as high as the Griffin.  The Wolf Spiders did not accord the raiders the honor of zellbriggen though they tended to focus on targets as they closed.  A Nightsky rushing towards her Dire Wolf and harassing the Elementals fell to the ground in the midst of the point when she connected with all four heavy energy weapons- the ERPPC burning off the oddly shaped head.  A Marauder 5D worked its way around a hill to close up, hitting with ERPPCs as it walked forward . . . into her guns, the next salvo sent one of her ERPPC blasts into the Marauder's head as well even if the Ultra 20 missed (Need 6, Roll 5).  The Timber Wolf spent the time sprinkling LRMs over a Barghest and the Griffin.  After the Marauder fell the Lyran Hatchetman dropped from the sky to land behind a ridge trying to snipe at the Dire Wolf only to find the Timber Wolf could run up and be sixty meters away on the other side of the ridge.

The Hatchetman pilot proved extremely foolish, calling out Natasha in the Dire Wolf by name in a challenge.  When she acknowledged the challenge, the rest of the Wolves ignored the crazy medium pilot- she had undoubtedly killed two Lyrans so far that day- which at that point left two infantry points and the Mist Lynx without a target.  The Timber Wolf pilot held his place on the hill firing down at the Barghest over 300 meters away, a spread of missiles slamming through its hefty chest to crack the engine shielding.

The Wolves lost a motorized infantry point while the Barghest and Griffin moved away from the mechs to chase the Elemental point to finish it off.  When they swung back, Natasha pivoted to meet the two mechs by running into some light woods and the Hatchetman who landed 90 meters away.  The Hatcheman was in bad shape . . . its center torso barely had any armor, the non-hatchet arm was gone, the hatchet arm was damaged, one leg had been badly damaged, the head had taken a missile strike, and the pilot was riding his heat to get in close.  Natasha split her fire (time was about up)since everyone was in short range to give a double-tap at the barely damaged Barghest, send the particle cannon, a medium and small laser after the cannon while putting both large pulses at the Hachetman.

Both UAC/20 blasts hit the chest of the Barghest, stripping most of the remaining armor from the center but breaking into the internal portion of the on the right side . . . the PPC missed completely but the med hit that right torso and the small hit the center.  Down to a single point of internal structure on the right torso and the cannon taken out by damage.  The two large pulse lasers hit the center of the Hatchetman . . . or what was left of the center, the whole mech collapsed around the damage (2 & 7 locations, well no need for the crit rolls).  The Barghest turned aside from the assault mech, instead trying to cut down the Mist Lynx that could have pursued any survivors . . . a full twenty submunitions exploded across the front of the light mech, causing the right arm to fall off still attached to a piece of the shoulder that had ripped away from the torso.  The Timber Wolf kept its fire on the Barghest but still that side torso held up . . . until the infantry point fired in support of their Khan . . . the small infantry-scale warheads snapped off the last of the internal structure keeping the mech properly formed.  The XL engine was ripped apart causing the dog-like mech to crash into the tore up ground of the battlefield.

Natasha Kerensky proves herself at a point most other warriors have been consigned to solhama . . . three outright kills, credit for the Barghest, and part of the crippling of the Griffin that withdrew.  Her left torso and arm had drawn a lot of fire, but most of her mech was barely touched.
Colt Ward

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Natasha Kerensky proves herself at a point most other warriors have been consigned to solhama . . . three outright kills, credit for the Barghest, and part of the crippling of the Griffin that withdrew.  Her left torso and arm had drawn a lot of fire, but most of her mech was barely touched.

Seyla.   ;)
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Running Invasion Era 13th Wolf Guards, how can you not plop her down on the table when you get a chance?

Pretty sure I was going to wreck anything coming at her- which is why the standing on the hill to challenge the IS- so I was not too worried about sinking the BV into that single mech.  My opponent's eyes got a bit big when he learned I needed 6s to hit his Griffin out at 18 hexes with the LPLs.  And I will admit the two headcaps made things faster, but putting 50 pts on the Nightsky and 52 points (20, 15, 10, 7) on the Marauder would still have ended up wrecked either turn.
Colt Ward

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
My opponent's eyes got a bit big when he learned I needed 6s to hit his Griffin out at 18 hexes with the LPLs.

Should have been 4s.  She’s not 2/4.  She’s 0/0!  ;)
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Eh . . . had to fit it in 5k BV w/ 3 units, hence the cheap infantry.  The annoying part for me was the LA lost most its armor and the LT was stripped with 3 points internal . . . but every other location but the head had 8 or less points of damage.  CT had 7!
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Just curious to see . . . how many Wolves are in the KS, and what level if you do not mind?

Started Bloodnamed and went over Star Colonel (dice) . . .

and a final thought-
Colt Ward

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Yet no one has successfully domesticated a big cat  :P

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Yet no one has successfully domesticated a big cat  :P

Except the draconis combine.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Define domesticated ;)

I've have seen the pictures of a siberian tiger that grew up in a house.  That couch was his.....all of it. 
Since I played with the tiger cub that was growing up in the house at the time I believe the pic was legit, or I'm gullible.  One or the other.

To stay relevant to the topic at hand.  Currently in for Star Captain and some add-ons.  Close enough to Bloodnamed that I plan to do that when we near 1.5m, as it will come out the same with extras.  That Star Colonel is still calling my name, though.  We will see.
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

SteveRestless

• Major
I'm backing it.

Currently at Galaxy Commander, though I might downgrade to Star Colonel and spend the difference on Add-Ons, if the Canon Character/Art thing doesn't get resolved/clarified to my liking. Also depends on whether the nearly-reached social goal reward counts as a star pack or not. if I can get multiples of the core invasion box mechs (and thusly, get double forces of them) I have my picks all planned out  not including the salvage boxes/elementals/other extras. With that layout I get a decent force for the prominent clans of the invasion, and can easily lend forces to someone without, to run battles.

but if I've got to add-on to get more of what I'm after, things might pan differently. *shrug*

SteveRestless

• Major
We appear to be fighting on Titan. Further Indication that the Wolves are the fleet what arrives at the end of Shattered Fortress

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Another victory for the Wolves . . . though Natasha did not repeat her performance she did manage to rip up the SIC competition.  It always stings when the UAC/20 hits at 11 hexes (needed a 7) and you score the double tap . . . 72 points of damage that turn on a Awesome 8Q that was already a bit dinged up.  Sawed off the non-PPC side torso, which sent it hiding for the next turn.  She also put a Panther on the ground for the second turn of her firing- melted off the leg, and blasted the LA.  While she did the main damage to a Cyclops and Blackjack OC, it was the Elementals getting the last hits in that finished them-  Elemental Small Lasers scoring 5 crits on 3 chances on the LT (ammo- BOOM!), and the turn before getting a mid range SRM hit to finish the last LT structure on the Blackjack that Natasha had already ripped up . . . between her and the Timber Wolf C, it had both cannons out, 2 engine hits and a gyro crit.

Natasha lost her right arm and drew the most fire . . . for once the Lynx's RA stayed intact.  I will be posting some pictures later- the Spheriods huddled behind some of the residential buildings to hide from Wolf firepower.
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major
I will be posting some pictures later- the Spheriods huddled behind some of the residential buildings to hide from Wolf firepower.

Awful dezgra move, involving civilians like that. Shame on those barbaric spheroids.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
heh . . . hiding being a bar and a Dunkin Donuts . . .
Colt Ward

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
I'm pledged at Star Colonel currently, with a ton for add-ons. Planning on getting at least one extra group of the box set 'Mechs and enough of various packs to add another Keshik to my existing Wolf forces. And then some for my Blood Spirits and a trinary of invasion-era Smoked Jags...
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

SteveRestless

• Major
As stretch goals have unlocked greater flexibility, this is now the direction I'm thinking I'll go. https://pastebin.com/e7CF4Yxj

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns

Since the SIC troops are hiding behind buildings, the Wolves are circling picking at the weaklings . . . this turn Natasha unleashed her UAC/20 in single mode along with ERPPC, ERML & both LPL on the Awesome.  So will the Mist Lynx, Timberwolf and Elementals.  Next turn that Blackjack OC is about to walk towards Natasha after she walks forward.  The Mist Lynx (Calliope proxy) is going to run around behind the DD, mech LRM Infantry points will go behind the building, and the Timber Wolf will run forward.

Natasha's view after she dropped that Blackjack OC that had moved up . . . her right arm is in some trouble but that Awesome is going to get out from behind Dunkin Donuts . . . when you need a 7 at 11 hexes for a UAC/20 that has ammo in a unarmored location . . . yeah, its double tap time.  This turn the Banshee/Cyclops will take some shots in the back from the Calliope/Mist Lynx C, Timber Wolf (out of view to the right) will fire at the Awesome along with the 2nd flight of Elemental SRMs, and I think Natasha is going to also try for the Banshee/Cyclops and maybe the other Panther.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Nice pictures, Colt!

I guess after fight, they can have drinks at Dunkins.   ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

SteveRestless

• Major
given the way they're using it for cover, and my previous foray into clan fast food (Burger Khan, Taco Zell, etc) I keep thinkin  "Dezgra Donuts." I mean the tagline even works "The Sphere runs on Dezgra"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
given the way they're using it for cover, and my previous foray into clan fast food (Burger Khan, Taco Zell, etc) I keep thinkin  "Dezgra Donuts." I mean the tagline even works "The Sphere runs on Dezgra"
Here i thought it be, "Mechs run on fusion, Warriors run on Dunkins"!

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
So, I thought I'd pop in and say hello.  I'm getting back into Btech, and pledged the Bloodnamed level on Clan Invasion KS.  Given the distinct lack of Coyotes around, I'm thinking I'll choose Wolf for my Faction gear...

Register