Author Topic: Mech of the Week - Supernova.  (Read 46936 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Mech of the Week - Supernova.
« on: 29 April 2016, 11:47:28 »
It’s the Champagne Supernova in the skyyyyyyy…

Design

A TRO3058 design the Supernova is a standard Mech but a common fixture in Clan forces.  I’d like to think its inception came about because of a conversation something like this.

“Scientist Bob, you know the Extended Range Large Laser?”
“Of course Scientist Greg! It has a superb range, good damage, it is light and small.”
“Aff, and our weapons have a range advantage anyhow.  So I ask you…how can we abuse this?”

And the love child of that thought experiment was the Supernova which we have the folks at Clan Nova Cat to thank for.   An old machine that first walked off the assembly lines in 2846 the Supernova started out as a replacement for the aging King Crab’s in Clan service.  Due to unforeseen technical issues with the King Crab’s structure (and it being built with integral Ferro-Fibrous armour) the Clan designers did what they did with most IIC like designs, they shed weight.  And I would say that this thing, in my mind is basically a King Crab IIC. 

Dropping 10 tonnes to go down to a not exactly svelte 90 tonnes the Supernova then went ahead and used no advanced materials in its construction. Standard engine, skeleton and armour mean this things cheap to produce and did not consume many resources.

Naming wise it’s a bit weird, folks initially thought that the Nova served as an inspiration and it was a case of Designers going “MOAR!” and making a bigger Nova.  But newp, turns out that the Supernova is older than the Nova, and instead may have served as its inspiration.  You can certainly see the heritage what with their weapons load and lack of advanced materials in construction.  The only weight saving grace on the Nova being its much needed XL engine after all.

The engine is a 270 rated standard power plant, the Mech’s beating heart, and can power its weapons and move it at 56kph whilst a trio of jump jets are fitted for mobility.  These stand out (at least for me) as not that many Clan assaults fitted Jump Jets as standard and on Omni’s are often seen more on city fighting variants rather than the norm.

Still the designers didn’t scrimp with the armour and slapped 14.5 tonnes of plate on the Mech giving it solid if not fully maxed out protection.

9/26/33/26 (8/10/8)
26/26/30/30

Still more than enough to take a pounding, and with its standard engine, its very tough to knock out and will require coring or leg/head ripping to finally put down.

The big change though came with the armament.  Whereas the King Crab in most of its variants is designed to walk up to someone scream “I LIKE ICECREAM!!!” and then blow them apart with large calibre autocannons.  The Supernova is built to engage foes when they are little more than a blot on the horizon.  Although displaced by Omni-Mech’s the Supernova wasn’t retired but became a fixture in PCG’s and less prestigious units.  Following their abjuration from the Homeworlds the Supernova became a common sight in frontline units of the Nova Cats and would remain so until their near extinction. 

I don’t know what this means for the production of the Mech, it was popular in other Clan service so it could still be under construction even if the Mech’s original Clan is now sadly gone.

Variants

Standard – The standard version of the Supernova lives up to its name, both in the light show it produces, along with the heat.  Going for a simple armament of 6 ER Large lasers, three in each arm, the Supernova has an obscene range and the ER Large can still do heavy damage, sure it’s no ER PPC, but it’s not to be ignored.

But this produces a MAMMOTH amount of heat and even when fitted with a (then) unprecedented 26 double heatsinks a full alpha will cause serious heat spikes.  And repeated firings WILL shut you down.  Much like the Awesome this machine rewards a pilot who bracket fires.
And that’s it, it’s a simple Mech that takes maximum use of Clan tech to engage at extreme range.  Given a good pilot and firing point this thing can rain hate down on you and stop you before you get close.

2 – The Supernova 2 is a bit of an odd beasty but seems to be a more general purpose machine than its dedicated sniper forebear.  Still it can engage at extreme range thanks to a pair of ER Large Lasers, one in each arm.  Oh you spotted that huh..wondered where the rest are? Well they are gone, replaced with new toy syndrome in the form of four ATM-9’s.  Even cutting the heatsinks down to a more modest 16 does not free up weight for more than 6 tonnes of ammo, meaning that some of the ATM’s flexibility is lost due to a lack of shots, and this machine can chew threw ammo at a scary rate.

The final bit of spice, more than a hint of cinnamon is that this variant has a targeting computer for the lasers.  I’m not too sold on this, I’d prefer the weight to go into ATM ammo, but that’s just me.

With the choice of ammo at the pilots command I’d still fit one tonne of HE ammo, anyone who gets close can then get 36 HE missiles fired at them, which could result in a brown pants moment.

3 – More a nod to the Standard, the 3 goes back to being a walking Jean Michelle Jarre light show and goes back to long range murder.  For this role the weapons fit of the Standard is altered, out go 4 of the ER Large lasers, in go a pair of ER PPC’s (one in each arm) and a pair of Medium Pulse lasers in the head and chest.  23 Heatsinks don’t come close to dealing with the heat if you slap the big red GO AWAY button but here’s the spice.  Well…more like a bottle of hot sauce.  It’s got a targeting computer, so when it does fire, it’s all the more accurate.

I’m not sure if this is a better variant than the Standard, your mileage may vary, but both delete baddies at long range, the 3 does it whilst also glowing dull red whilst the Standard glows white hot.

4 – Yes that is the smell of strong cheese you can detect wafting off this monster.  Losing some of the range of the Standard or 3 but gaining a better close in punch thanks to its dual ER Mediums (chest and head) and dual Heavy Medium lasers (left arm and right arm) this is the only Supernova to fit no ER Large lasers.  In their place, a quartet of Large Pulse lasers are fitted.  On and this thing retains the targeting computer of the 3.  So yes, Clan pulse + Targeting computer cheese away!  Eighteen heatsinks are overwhelmed by the main battery and a full alpha is very strongly NOT recommended, but with the TC and Pulse laser accuracy, you can do horrific things before you start suffering serious heat woes.

Whilst not having the biggest punch, the range and accuracy of the 4 mean it can brutalise a foe as they close and you can take pot shots at long range due to the Pulse/TarCom tag team.  It can also reliably remove fast moving Mech’s and vehicles more efficiently than the other variants.   Along with the Viper and Goshawk Prime this is probably (wisely) why we can’t have nice things.

Thoughts.

Tough and with a hell of a slap the Supernova is a pain to kill.  It’s so padded with heatsinks that critting something useful is rare and then its got a standard engine so is darn zombie like.  Only the 2 has ammo issues but thanks to having many missile launchers and limited ammo if you go wild with it, you’ll be out of ammo before folks start breaching your protection.

The Supernova is fairly unimaginative, it’s a case of sit back and hammer away, watching your firing groups before pressing the big red button when you’re sure of a hit.  With its typical (if slower than Clan average) assault Mech speed, but untypical (for a Clanner) jump jets the Supernova can often be left behind in an advance, but this suits it just fine as it works best at long ranges in any variant.  As a hint, don’t take more than one Supernova 4 to a battle if you want your friends to not a.)  Throw a chair at you, or B.) Be your friends at the end of the fight.

Speaking of fighting one, reflective armour and blue field particle systems if you REALLY wanna thumb your nose at this thing, but even in later years reflective armour isn’t that common and the BFPC is VERY rare.

So this means either being prepared to take a hammering as you close or having to deal with it through the simple expedient of lots of long range indirect fire LRM’s or plasma/inferno weapons.  Anything you can do to drive this beast’s heat up and reduce the volume of fire coming your way is a good idea.

You could also eliminate its support. The Supernova lacks a raw smack down punch and instead must wear you down with repeated strikes.  If you can weather that whilst eliminating its faster friends that cover its blind spots then you should be able to swamp the Supernova.
The Supernova has a lot of firepower but thanks to the huge heat burden it really can’t use it all. 

If you are this close you've made a REALLY bad mistake

A Supernova 4, Goshawk Prime and Black Python prime.

As always, thoughts and comments are most welcome!
« Last Edit: 29 April 2016, 11:50:55 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mech of the Week - Supernova.
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2016, 12:14:13 »
I'm not a big clan fan but I've always been kind of fond of the Supernova. Beautiful sniper, and some of the variants are nice, although the 4 is definitely high class gouda. I actually like the 2, even though it did skimp on the ammo. I probably wouldn't bother too much with ER Ammo since you already have range on the ERLLs. I'd lean more toward Normal and HE, with probably just one ton of ER for particularly good shots.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2016, 12:27:19 »
"GIGA LASER DRILL BREAKER!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DF2qCd9TI
*sorry, couldn't resist ;D *

I think the name is appropriate... I mean 6 ER Large Lasers!
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2016, 12:49:05 »
A solid design that proves that imagination doesn't always win battles.
Also, it's probably buddies with a certain "Bane".
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2016, 14:44:43 »
"GIGA LASER DRILL BREAKER!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DF2qCd9TI
*sorry, couldn't resist ;D *

I think the name is appropriate... I mean 6 ER Large Lasers!

This...is beautiful! :)

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2016, 15:07:28 »
Cheese and Gurren Lagann references. What could be better?

And since I should probably actually talk about the Supernova...I always liked the Supernova when I was a kid, although I don't remember why. It honestly seems pretty boring right now, but I'm finding myself more and more attracted to super weird and out-there 'mechs, so I don't know if I'm the best to judge.
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2016, 16:14:07 »
The prime has a certain zen simplicity to it. Using only two post Star League technologies, it can fry the opponent from far away. Take the shots at 11 and 12. Every turn shooting, even in a reduced pattern, will lead to the occasional hit.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2016, 18:05:59 »
Lovely 'Mech in the MechWarrior computer games, not tried it with real BattleTech or even MegaMech
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2016, 18:22:51 »
is it still being produced by anyone? the original loadout just begs for a revamp to a weight saving tech to fit in a radical heat sink system or some coolant pods.. letting you run all of those guns at once every couple of turns.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2016, 21:07:11 »
I've been on both ends of this thing a couple of times.  The 4 is just a giant bird at light mechs- used it once and never will again, the thing cause an entire lance of light IS mechs to evaporate before any of them got within range to return fire.

Fought against a 2.  It was the first time I've ever seen a mech take 6 pilot hits in one round: I got a headshot and an ammo crit on it, this knocked out the pilot and destroyed enough heatsinks that it had to roll vs ammo explosion, which it failed.  And because it took 20+ damage from the explosion, it automatically fell over...

I think the think that really turns me off against the 3 is the price tag.  There are very few other mechs that cost that much.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Darkwing

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2016, 07:30:10 »
A simple weapon from a far more civilized time.... I have always had great success in the supernova. Jump jets help you position, and you can start firing long before most of your opponents.
''Do not judge yourself by the friends you have, but by the enemies you make.'' - Jerome Blake

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2016, 11:59:56 »
is it still being produced by anyone?

Still produced? Doubtful.

Still used? It's on the last slot of Kurita's and the Republic's assault 'Mech RATs in FM:3145.
« Last Edit: 30 April 2016, 12:02:00 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2016, 12:02:29 »

Still used? It's on the last slot of Kurita's assault 'Mech RAT in FM:3145.

From what I recall (granted my info can be very wrong), the Cats were producing it on Irece.  So the Foxes, the Bears, and/or Kurita could have potentially snatched up the factory/plans/materials for it.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2016, 15:12:19 »
TR3058U lists it in production on Irece, at the Irece Alpha facilities, which took heavy damage during the Jihad. Objectives: Clans lists the Arbalest, Griffin IIC and Ocelot produced at Irece Alpha, with the Rifleman IIC being refitted there. Though the fluff does say that the factory has a habit of producing short runs of variety of 'Mechs, so its possible the lines survived and could have been rebuilt.

However, the lack of any modern variants (the last is listed as debuting in 3067) seems to indicate that the Supernova's production didn't make it through the Jihad, which is probably a shame for the Nova Cats, considering their limited resources.

Then again, I'm still rather confused on the whole Nova Cat production in the post-Jihad era, which seems to be mostly the DC preventing their ally/vassal from producing enough Clantech to fill out the ranks of the DCMS.

The MUL has the 2, 3, and 4 variants in use by the Republic and Nova Cats. After Kurita takes care of the Nova Cats, its not surprising they wound up in the DCMS.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2016, 01:14:10 »
However, the lack of any modern variants (the last is listed as debuting in 3067) seems to indicate that the Supernova's production didn't make it through the Jihad, which is probably a shame for the Nova Cats, considering their limited resources.

I don't know, they may not have bothered making further variants just because the Supernova was a cheap and powerful design, which would allow them to funnel resources to other projects.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2016, 02:10:41 »
I think one mech has overshadowed the Supernova in recent years *ducks*
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hellstar

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2016, 03:53:26 »

According to Sarna, I can buy 2 1/2 Supernovas for the price of one Hellstar though
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2016, 04:17:42 »

Ahh the Hellcheese :p

A terrifying Mech but when you put one on the board people's reactions are basically;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHeQgtv04J0

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2016, 06:06:15 »
I always felt like this should have been a Blood Spirit design.  It mounts their favorite weapon and lacks all of the special expensive weight-saving technology that defines a lot of Clantech.  I've only used the standard, but enjoyed it immensely.  This thing in an overwatch position?  Hilarious.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Leozack

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2016, 08:47:49 »
I've never actually used the Supernova on the table-top or in Megamek -I tend to play Spheroid and tend Steel Viper when I am clan. But I've always liked the aesthetics of the Supernova, and the idea of the "I killz you from all the way over here" element of the design.

Nice article, and thank you for introducing me to the 4. A fine, fine piece of well-aged Stilton indeed. It strikes me as if some Nova Cat scientist said to themselves - "The Warhawk, really? They think that is excessive. I will show them excessive."

Karl
I consider, therefore, that unless it commands its own arms no principality is secure.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 01 May 2016, 15:01:28 »

According to Sarna, I can buy 2 1/2 Supernovas for the price of one Hellstar though

The Supernova is older design so it makes sense but C-Bill cost in BT exist for fluff alone (the cost would not stay static for it's entire existence)

Besides, I only bringing it up as a example of one of many assaults that IS Clans have developed as a good reason why we haven't seen more.

The Supernova still has flavor (kill it with my lazorz!!! ) 

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2016, 15:55:05 »
Always loved this Mech.  Its beauty is its simplicity.  And it does capture that Nova Cat "Reach Out And Touch You" ethos.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2016, 17:11:05 »
I'm sort of surprised that no one has mentioned the..well, Nova Cat (the 'Mech) in the room. Similar design, produced by the Nova Cats at the same time they're producing the Supernova in the IS prior to the Jihad (both production lines seem to have been damaged by the fighting during the Jihad and aren't mentioned in Objectives Clans).

Similar concepts, similar loadouts, and similar enough that you might confuse the two.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2016, 17:34:59 »
The Cave Lion was also meant to be a all energy beast (the ATMs was a design compromise made with the Sea Fox for needed production assistants) The Nova Cats had a love for long rang Energy Boats that a can identify with. 

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 01 May 2016, 18:00:09 »
The Cave Lion was also meant to be a all energy beast (the ATMs was a design compromise made with the Sea Fox for needed production assistants) The Nova Cats had a love for long rang Energy Boats that a can identify with.

Remember, much like the Scorps, the Cats are renowned as marksmen.  In a lot of Cat Mechs, you are likely to see the ER Large Laser.  As I recall from the RAT in FM:  ComStar (which, remember, is not the be-all and end-all of what the Cats used and didn't use around 3062ish), there were definitely a lot of energy boat Omni Configs in their front line; I remember being pleased and amused to see the Summoner D show up numerous times.

Of course, after a while they turned into "We'll take whatever we can get," but they still did prefer the range of the ER Large when they could get it.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2016, 19:06:09 »
The Sphinx as well, which in one of the NTNU entries was mentioned as being the Nova Cat's common heavy unit. Twin ERLLs and massed ERMLs on that one.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2016, 20:13:18 »
I started thinking as a result of this about what a true King Crab IIC would look like on Saturday, by the way. After jotting down my ideas, I realized that I'd recreated the Cygnus-2 almost exactly. So... well done, Clan Hells Horses?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2016, 22:31:23 »
Bane 4 is a pretty good King Crab IIC. 2xUAC20s, ERLL, 3xATM6.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 02 May 2016, 00:12:44 »
Bane 4 is a pretty good King Crab IIC. 2xUAC20s, ERLL, 3xATM6.

Yeah, that thing makes stuff suffer critical existance failures if it gets close.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 02 May 2016, 03:43:29 »
Banes are awesome.
Very close to the Supernova, as noted above, with the same excess of one weapontype, but more weight available to put into those weapons.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #30 on: 03 May 2016, 12:58:00 »
The Clan Nova Cat love for ERLL is mostly explained by the fact that they're the one's who perfected the things. It's their toy so, by Kerensky, they're gonna fit it on everything they can.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 04 May 2016, 10:05:19 »
The Clan Nova Cat love for ERLL is mostly explained by the fact that they're the one's who perfected the things. It's their toy so, by Kerensky, they're gonna fit it on everything they can.

There's something to be said for it, for sure. I honestly prefer it to the ER PPC on many designs- lighter (something to remember if you tie it with a targeting computer!), a single crit space (hello head mounts!), longer range, and no silly actuator-removal requirements on Omnimechs if you arm-mount them. Nifty weapon- the reduced damage compared to the ER PPC really is the only drawback.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Adgar76

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 04 May 2016, 11:06:45 »
And yet, I can only sudder at the thought of a Supernova that swaps out its CERLLs for a quartet of ERPPCs.
Sure, you lose something in terms of range brackets, but it would be so much more heat-efficient that it suddenly jumps well into "scary" territory. Kinda disappointed that the canon variants chose different routes, but maybe that's for the best.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 04 May 2016, 12:22:14 »
We have a 4X ER PPC Clan mech and everyone hate it because it works so well.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 04 May 2016, 12:40:28 »

Indeed and there's a version of the Hellcheese that's got a quartet of ER Large lasers (and some shorter ranged weapons) a targetting computer and enough heatsinks to put a cinder block on the alpha strike button and not feel a blip on the heat scale.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 04 May 2016, 13:41:48 »
As long as it stays still, anyway.

It's also got an ECM and (inexplicably) an Active Probe.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #36 on: 04 May 2016, 13:46:22 »
As long as it stays still, anyway.

It's also got an ECM and (inexplicably) an Active Probe.

1.5 spare tons, 2 crits available, and can't use anything that would feed into the computer. Also, being a flashbulb, ballistic/missile weapons (LRM-5, AMS, etc.) don't fit because now there's ammo to blow up. The ECM is pretty forgivable on the Jihad-era battlefield with all the C3 and such around. The probe... well, just ignore it.

+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 04 May 2016, 15:17:14 »
Love the Supernova . . . one of my favorite times with it was destroying a cLPL rulez! player's Dire Wolf A in a duel . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 04 May 2016, 17:05:48 »
I dig the supernova. It certainly misses out on the big hole-punchers that many assaults love to carry, but that range...it's a beautiful thing.

It is also a very interesting mech if you play with it in Alpha Strike. The advantage of long weapons ranges isn't as much of a help due to the standardized brackets in AS, but on the flip-side the massive heat load that it's weapons can generate isn't as much of a detriment either since it translates into some nice overheat damage values. Plus, that standard engine gives you more structure to work with so the mech doesn't evaporate once the armor is blown off. Most of the variants have the ENE special (which I think is more powerful on standard-engine mechs), which makes a couple more slots on the critical hit table do-nothings and helps take advantage of that extra structure without becoming combat-ineffective. In AS, it isn't really a huge damage dealer like many clan assaults, but it is very tanky.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #39 on: 05 May 2016, 10:36:02 »
1.5 spare tons, 2 crits available, and can't use anything that would feed into the computer. Also, being a flashbulb, ballistic/missile weapons (LRM-5, AMS, etc.) don't fit because now there's ammo to blow up. The ECM is pretty forgivable on the Jihad-era battlefield with all the C3 and such around. The probe... well, just ignore it.
In universe, it would be good for detecting Elementals in ambush. Delta Galaxy, in FM:SLDF is noted as having a hatred for them.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 30 December 2016, 00:32:11 »

Still used? It's on the last slot of Kurita's and the Republic's assault 'Mech RATs in FM:3145.

Some people might hate you for mentioning this bit pushing me ever closer to finally purchasing the damn mini. >:D

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #41 on: 30 December 2016, 00:36:39 »
Braaaaaaaains.

So, with MWO's Supernova out in two months or so, I want to ask; are the extra configurations (The PGI "A, B, C" and "Boiler" configurations) canon? As I remember it being said somewhere (Don't remember where) that PGI's fluff is canon. Not sure if that also applies to variants they come up with.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 30 December 2016, 01:20:18 »
Probably not . . . there are alternate Supernovas as mentioned . . .

. . . and with that said, I want to say the Supernova 4 is a beast that is just wrong.  I took it to a brawl with a 3/5 pilot where we were trying to take the very steep hill.  The Supernova racked up the kills/damage while my Spector flitted forward to the objective.  Not enough time left to get the points after clearing everyone else out of the way, but it was a really rude surprise for folks when I was needing 4s to 6s at long range to hit on a 4/4/3 pattern while sitting in some woods.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #43 on: 01 January 2017, 01:34:26 »
Ahh the Hellcheese :p

A terrifying Mech but when you put one on the board people's reactions are basically;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHeQgtv04J0
Hellcheese doesn't aggravate me.  The fact that it runs away from all my plasma and infernos carrying mechs aggravates me.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #44 on: 01 January 2017, 11:23:11 »
Does it just reverse and pick them off outside the 15 hexes?
Colt Ward

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 01 January 2017, 12:34:32 »

Warhawk A is better than the Prime ;)

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 01 January 2017, 13:23:59 »
Warhawk A is better than the Prime ;)
I believe that the 4X ERPPC mech in question is actually the Hellstar.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 01 January 2017, 13:27:37 »
I believe that the 4X ERPPC mech in question is actually the Hellstar.

I assumed that, but just being silly...but there's been a 4 ERPPC mech since the Clan's inception.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 01 January 2017, 13:34:23 »
Aye.

I love the Hellstar but I feel like I'd rather take a Viking IIC if I had a choice. Or a Tomahawk II.

Unfortunately for the Supernova, the Hellstar's mere existence makes it almost irrelevant in comparison, despite more varied builds. That's up to debate, however.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 01 January 2017, 14:44:21 »
I assumed that, but just being silly...but there's been a 4 ERPPC mech since the Clan's inception.

Why I have always thought the Hellstar hate was petty at best.

Aye.

I love the Hellstar but I feel like I'd rather take a Viking IIC if I had a choice. Or a Tomahawk II.

Unfortunately for the Supernova, the Hellstar's mere existence makes it almost irrelevant in comparison, despite more varied builds. That's up to debate, however.

The Supernova always seemed like a fringe mech to me. Even if you didn't have access to a Dire Wolf or a Warhawk, you had the Marauder IIC, Rifleman IIC, Warhammer IIC, ect. Still, it's a mech with allot of guns. That's rarely a bad thing.   

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #50 on: 01 January 2017, 18:41:55 »
Why I have always thought the Hellstar hate was petty at best.

There's a significant difference between having four ER PPCs, and being able to use all of them all the time.

Hellcheese doesn't aggravate me.  The fact that it runs away from all my plasma and infernos carrying mechs aggravates me.

Whoever is using it has apparently failed to realize that even when on fire, a Hellstar is at least a Thunderhawk with none of those pesky weaknesses.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 01 January 2017, 18:54:01 »
To be frank, if I wanted to bring four Large Pulses to the field, it's a tough choice between the Supernova 4 and the Rifleman IIC Standard. Mostly because, since most of my games are pseudo-pickup games (Not campaigns, but repair costs and such are handled by a bastardization of the Warchest system), the choice is between having extra durability on my pulse 'mech or having an extra Locust.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 01 January 2017, 19:39:01 »
Like I said when this article was first posted, I've used the Supernova 4 and find it entirely OP.  The thing chewed apart an entire WoB Level II virtually on its own.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #53 on: 01 January 2017, 23:22:15 »
There's a significant difference between having four ER PPCs, and being able to use all of them all the time.

Whoever is using it has apparently failed to realize that even when on fire, a Hellstar is at least a Thunderhawk with none of those pesky weaknesses.
People get cocky and think 4 ER PPCs will flatten everything and more often fire everything, at least once.  I will more than happily take anyone not firing 1 ER PPC a turn though at the simple threat of hitting them for 15 additional heat a turn.  If if I have made the opponent fire one less 15 point bolt of damage due to one mech, that is far less BV than a Hellstar, the other mech has done it's job.

The bottom line for me is there is a foil for most everything in the game.  The Hellstar is almost 3100+ BV a machine for a reason.  It does it's job exceptionally well.  Its range is excellent.  As with just about anything else though tactics and other tech out there can reduce it's value.  I would in most cases though happily take the Supernova over a Hellstar because of the mobility advantage and, in most cases, range advantage it has over the Hellstar.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #54 on: 02 January 2017, 00:13:24 »
The Supernova always seemed like a fringe mech to me. Even if you didn't have access to a Dire Wolf or a Warhawk, you had the Marauder IIC, Rifleman IIC, Warhammer IIC, ect. Still, it's a mech with allot of guns. That's rarely a bad thing.   

I prefer the Supernova over the Maraduer IIC 1, Rifleman IIC 1 and Warhammer IIC  because the ERLL has better range than those machines.  Over the Marauder & Warhammer it can keep up 33% more damage and burst twice what the Warhammer can bring and 125% of the Marauder at range.  Its also not as frail as the Rifleman.
Colt Ward

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 02 January 2017, 00:30:41 »
Lets not derail this topic with yet another Hellstar argument, I regret even hinting about the mech now #P

I prefer the Supernova over the Maraduer IIC 1, Rifleman IIC 1 and Warhammer IIC  because the ERLL has better range than those machines.  Over the Marauder & Warhammer it can keep up 33% more damage and burst twice what the Warhammer can bring and 125% of the Marauder at range.  Its also not as frail as the Rifleman.

If I could actually get Megamek to work on my computer, I would love to see this trail :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #56 on: 02 January 2017, 03:49:23 »
I have used regular Supernovas to beat Dire Wolf As, bit of a demonstration against a 'Pulz Lazerz win!' player.
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #57 on: 04 January 2017, 15:31:17 »
When the Quasimodo shows up, the Supernova player shrugs. The Hellstar player flips the table.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #58 on: 05 January 2017, 15:22:19 »
No, the Hellstar player laughs when the blue shield burns out before the Quasimodo ever gets into range to use it's own weapons.  ;)

I've seen it happen.
I have spoken.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 28 December 2018, 22:35:14 »
I always felt like this should have been a Blood Spirit design.  It mounts their favorite weapon and lacks all of the special expensive weight-saving technology that defines a lot of Clantech.  I've only used the standard, but enjoyed it immensely.  This thing in an overwatch position?  Hilarious.

Agreed.

What homeworld factory produced the supernova? Who got said factory during the wars of possession?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: 28 December 2018, 22:48:55 »
Update: it was produced on Brim in the homeworlds which was claimed by the spirits, cloud cobras etc. By the end of the WoR, the cobras had sole control. Assuming the brim factory was not wrecked it should still be in production.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #61 on: 28 December 2018, 23:40:19 »
According to Sarna, the homeworld factories that produced the Supernova were located on Barcella and Brim and as of 3085 were in the possession of the Coyotes and Cloud Cobras, respectively.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 29 December 2018, 11:14:27 »
No, the Hellstar player laughs when the blue shield burns out before the Quasimodo ever gets into range to use it's own weapons.  ;)

I've seen it happen.
Then the Quasimodo was doing it wrong.

Also, context is incredibly important.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2018, 11:18:10 by Caedis Animus »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #63 on: 29 December 2018, 17:40:53 »
You would not turn on Blueshield at long range, your TSM & movement mods are what get you across into a range you can work on the Hellstar.
Colt Ward

TheBrokenLance

• Private
« Reply #64 on: 25 October 2019, 18:33:43 »
Sorry for the thread necro, but I couldn't help but remark on how similar the chassis of the Supernova looks to the old FWLM Hector.  More than that, the armament is similar - big laser cannons in the arms as the major offensive punch.  An accident of history?  Or might there have been some old Hector blueprints in one of the SLDF archives the Clans inherited? 

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #65 on: 28 October 2019, 01:59:59 »
TheBrokenLance, the SLDF, as part of preparing for the Exodus, took complete copies of the schematics of all known, in use or proposed BattleMech designs including historical machines from the Age of War. For example the Kuritan Dragon specs were used to develop the Great Wyrm second - line machine. TRO 3060 has the details if you want to know more...

So, yeah. It is entirely possible. Interesting to see the similarities between the two Mechs in a side - by - side comparison too.

About the Supernova, I do like the arms ( and their stacked weapon barrel design ) of the original artwork and wish that it had been made into pewter but can see why the '3058 edition is the one in canon ( cannon? ) and metal. The barrel arraignment of the '58 oozes reaching out and touching someone with a long finger of light ( or several ) while the Invading Clans artwork just says " Brutality in a Box " functionality. At the least , that's my take on it...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #66 on: 28 October 2019, 02:46:05 »
do you have a copy of of that original art? because it isn't on Sarna and i wasn't aware there was anything before the TRO3058 art.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #67 on: 28 October 2019, 03:54:13 »
do you have a copy of of that original art? because it isn't on Sarna and i wasn't aware there was anything before the TRO3058 art.

Invading clans sourcebook. The arms are significantly different, and overall the design is more angular rather than rounded.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 28 October 2019, 14:47:08 »
The MAD-9M and -9M2 also have a similar look.  Also the MAD-4X prototype.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

TheBrokenLance

• Private
« Reply #69 on: 31 October 2019, 16:12:52 »
TheBrokenLance, the SLDF, as part of preparing for the Exodus, took complete copies of the schematics of all known, in use or proposed BattleMech designs including historical machines from the Age of War. For example the Kuritan Dragon specs were used to develop the Great Wyrm second - line machine. TRO 3060 has the details if you want to know more...

So, yeah. It is entirely possible. Interesting to see the similarities between the two Mechs in a side - by - side comparison too.

Thanks for the update.  I'm grateful to both the in-universe and out-of-universe designers; the sleek torso reminiscent of a fighter jet fuselage is a sexy look, and it's cool to see on both historical and current designs.  However, from an in-universe perspective resurrecting the Hector was an interesting move from whatever Nova Cat 'mech designers produced the Supernova.  Unlike the Dragon, which was brand new at the fall of the Star League and good enough to be a mainstay of the DCMS for centuries, the Hector was comparatively ancient, disliked even in its own time, had exposed actuators, and went extinct by the end of the Age of War.   Still, it's hard to argue with the results; the Supernova is a beautiful machine, aesthetically, logistically, and in terms of battlefield performance.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2019, 16:24:25 by TheBrokenLance »

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #70 on: 01 November 2019, 09:44:23 »
You are welcome TheBrokenLance.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 12 April 2020, 22:09:13 »
I don't know, they may not have bothered making further variants just because the Supernova was a cheap and powerful design, which would allow them to funnel resources to other projects.

I would think post WOR this design and similar tough as nails but cheap to build units like it would be dusted off in the homeworlds...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #72 on: 12 April 2020, 22:43:12 »
The post you quoted was not about the Homeworlds, which was something that was discussed later in in the thread.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 20 June 2020, 13:54:57 »
Thanks for the update.  the Supernova is a beautiful machine, aesthetically, logistically, and in terms of battlefield performance.

And with that you endorsement I will have to order one for my blood guard keshik!

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 11 August 2020, 18:50:16 »
Absolutely beautiful mech, both the design and the models (The MW3 Version hooked me). I love the simplicity of all one weapon type, range bracket, and zombie flashbulb design.

The fact that the cost is on par with IS intro - tech assault mechs is also quite alluring. Always wanted to do a campaign with a backstory about a clan second line star commander.

Honestly, this thing beats the pants off most clan assault omnis.
For The Archon!

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #75 on: 11 August 2020, 20:20:38 »

they look more like Timber Wolf or Marauder arms...well the gun pod, the upper arms, rather than being tubular, are thick and boxy
« Last Edit: 12 August 2020, 18:54:12 by Zeruel »
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 12 August 2020, 10:06:21 »
I'm actually a bit surprised it's not up on Sarna. But it's not the best quality art either. Here ya go. This is how it looks in Invading Clans.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 12 August 2020, 10:10:12 »
Those look like modifed Linebacker arms.  I prefer the revised look of the arms.

I'm actually a bit surprised it's not up on Sarna. But it's not the best quality art either. Here ya go. This is how it looks in Invading Clans.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #78 on: 12 August 2020, 18:55:35 »
I prefer the revised look of the arms.

I would agree here, the original design looks like that third laser in each arm was almost added as an afterthought, just slapping it on on the bottom
I feel the newer arm design is much more unique
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #79 on: 12 August 2020, 22:49:58 »
Remember for a while there lots of Clan Mechs shared parts of the 3050 Omnis.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 13 August 2020, 09:47:53 »
I actually like boxy arms over the radial look, but I do think I'd prefer it if they were more like the Timber Wolf's arms.

This could be a good basis for how the Supernova 3 or 4's weapon layout looks, though.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 13 August 2020, 12:36:50 »
The one thing I do like about The Invading Clans artwork is that the artist, Gary Opasinski I believe, got the weapons a little closer to to the weapon pods of the 3050 omnis (well, except for the walking-surfboard Ebon Jag)

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #82 on: 13 August 2020, 13:08:36 »
Remember for a while there lots of Clan Mechs shared parts of the 3050 Omnis.

I can think of quite a few 3050 Omnis that shared parts, but I don't recall any standard BattleMechs sharing parts with any of the Omnis...

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 13 August 2020, 14:20:15 »
They would be using the same weapon pars, just not weapon pods or limbs as omnis.

Really, I'm just looking for consistency BT never had from TRO to TRO. Something the new art is doing well thanks to a more clear art direction and better technology (3D models insuring that the Large Lasers are at least in the ball park in terms of scale)   

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #84 on: 06 January 2022, 17:47:46 »
Bit of necro after I learned something today . . .

RecGuide 13 gave us a delightful revisit to the original Supernova which the Spirit Cats started building on Angell II though much of the initial product runs have gone to the Sea Foxes to repay the cost of upgrading the factory.  Older original Supernovas could also be upgraded to the 5, they would just get a new skeleton and need more armor to match this version. 

Still sporting the 6 Clan ER Large Lasers, the changes to this design are all inside.  Like I mentioned before, the old standard structure is exchanged for Endo to save some weight along with the removal of two DHS.  While the mech can no longer run and constantly fire 4 cERLLs w/o heat build up, it now has the opportunity to go four turns in a row firing all six cERLL . . . which is a LOT of damage output at range for that period of burst damage.  How does it do it?  The freed up mass of the two heatsinks and conversion to EndoSteel allowed the Cats to increase the armor by two & a half tons while placing four Coolant Pods in the torso to get that burst of extra damage.  While I might have preferred RHS, which would be a straight trade, unfortunately that equipment is not included in BMM.

The only real question I have about the design is that with a DHS in each foot, if the Supernova 5 is standing in water and triggers a coolant pod do those DHS flush 4 heat or 5 heat; 2 base, +1 for water, + 50% for Coolant Pod =4.5, round up or down?  Or was it a DHS would dissipate 4 in water?

Anyone use this yet?
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 06 January 2022, 18:10:44 »
Coolant Pods aren't a % of anything, you get 1 additional dissipation per heat sink.  20 Single Heat Sink becomes 40 dissipation, 10 Double Heat Sink becomes 30 dissipation, etc.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #86 on: 06 January 2022, 21:04:02 »
The rule citation on Sarna that I had available said 100% of SHS and 50% of DHS, I am not sure why they would put it that way rather than what TacOps says.

Point still comes down to, checking TW pg 159 by my, it says an additional -2 per DHS underwater though the max is -6 . . . if the pod makes it effectively a -3 and water doubles the effect to get that -6 heat . . . coolant pods and RHS are the only way I could see it getting the -6 heat dissipation per DHS in water.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 06 January 2022, 21:16:40 »
Coolant Pods are wholly unaffected by water, and do not care what location the heat sinks are in, and also do not count to the external heat dissipation cap.

The way you get to 6 extra dissipation is by either being a quad or being fully submerged.  It is an irrelevant detail here.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #88 on: 09 January 2022, 21:43:38 »
Never cared much for the 'Mech, but I am a fan of how an image link on the first post has changed since it was made in 2016, and now shows a cheese plate from Disney Food Blog.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 09 January 2022, 22:39:16 »
Never cared much for the 'Mech, but I am a fan of how an image link on the first post has changed since it was made in 2016, and now shows a cheese plate from Disney Food Blog.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #90 on: 11 January 2022, 19:33:57 »
Are you telling me that it's supposed to be a plate of cheese? If so, then it's a bit more spiritual a post than I gave it credit for.

wildkadabra

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #91 on: 12 January 2022, 11:45:58 »
What OP is addressing is how the Pulse Laser + TC combo is "cheesy". The type of "cheese" gameplay that will likely find you not having many friends left to play with after you are done  8)

Supernova 4, Vapor Eagle 1 and Black Python 1 all are guilty of this, the Jump Jets included in all 3 of those do nkt hurt either.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2022, 11:49:16 by wildkadabra »

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
  • Every battle is a lesson, waiting to be learned.
« Reply #92 on: 05 April 2022, 05:40:18 »
Not sure if the Black Python 1 actually deserves to be on the same cheese plate as the Supernova 4. Thething only has 10 Sinks, which is barely enough for its large pulses. Let alone the rest of its weapons......

I remember the thing in MW 3 where its six ER LARGE laser battery was enough to suicide yourself if you fired all six at the same time. Overall it is a fine Second liner imo.
There's not to make reply
there's not to reason why
there's but to do, and die.
Into the valley of death rode the 600.

wildkadabra

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: 08 April 2022, 08:04:01 »
Not sure if the Black Python 1 actually deserves to be on the same cheese plate as the Supernova 4. Thething only has 10 Sinks, which is barely enough for its large pulses. Let alone the rest of its weapons......

I remember the thing in MW 3 where its six ER LARGE laser battery was enough to suicide yourself if you fired all six at the same time. Overall it is a fine Second liner imo.

I think its parent clan, the Nova Cats even often field it in front line units!

Some BMechs are just so good that they get limited use in the front lines. It also varies from clan to clan.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #94 on: 09 April 2022, 00:31:20 »
The Supernova is the fusion of zombie 'mech staying power with "reach out and touch somebody". Six ER Large Lasers is a great way to deliver the message that range is not the same thing as safety, and that impeded LOS is not the same thing as blocked. And with that much armor, that much crit padding, and no ammo from most variants, its a message the Supernova can send again and again.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 09 April 2022, 07:44:54 »

The BP is evil because of its brutal consistency, sure its only got 2 LPL's but because its generally seen as a front line 'Mech, you can expect folks to pay the points cost for a Clan pilot, and then its -4 to hit, and its just doing that again and again and again with 10 or 20 points of damage and unless you get a load of terrain between you, there's not much you can do to counter it once you're in firing range.

Coldstone

• Master Sergeant
  • Every battle is a lesson, waiting to be learned.
« Reply #96 on: 09 April 2022, 11:14:22 »
Personally I tend to prefer ER LARGE Laser euqipped mechs with TC. Lika a Nova Cat Alpha. To my experience these are as good as LPL Configs, cause you have more range in the short and Medium Bracket. Sure you're at a disadvatage beyond 15 hexes. But you would be surprised how many overeager large pulse Jockeys I fried with ER Large Lasers at the same To hit mods as their pulses. The ER Large is my favorite Clan weapon to be honest. Its low weight is very good for secondary armaments plus it only needs one crit slot. And with 8/15/25 Range it outclasses nearly anything else.

And beside: I always found the Galahad 2 more dangerous than the Python.

« Last Edit: 09 April 2022, 11:19:41 by Coldstone »
There's not to make reply
there's not to reason why
there's but to do, and die.
Into the valley of death rode the 600.

Register