Author Topic: 'Mech of the Whenever: TSN-XX Tessen  (Read 8122 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Whenever: TSN-XX Tessen
« on: 25 April 2020, 12:44:10 »
The Tessen, from TRO:3067 and FM:Comstar

You know, figuring out a ‘Mech usually isn’t very hard. Once you know what the weapons are, how different movement profiles work, and the basics of critpadding, you’re basically good to go. One glance at a record sheet, and I find I can usually predict how 95%+ of units will play out. I’d imagine it’s the same for many other seasoned players, although the occasional feature like the Gotterdammerung's empty side torsos or the Stalker II’s Torso-Mounted Cockpit/Hardened Armor PSR penalty combo can still sneak by the best of us. One exception to this rule is when rarer weapon systems come into play - and that can be compounded if they’re combined with other force multipliers or tactically unusual weapons. The Tessen is, for me, a great example of that. I went into my test games with a basic idea of how to use it in mind, and left with a completely different one. It’s a very interesting ‘Mech.

To be honest, I never would have covered it had it not been requested of me. It’s a ‘Mech that first appeared in Field Manual: ComStar, a product that I personally failed to get until relatively late in my BattleTech “career”. It would later be reprinted in TRO:3067, but it remains one of the few ‘Mechs that was designed by ComStar (as per usual, in collaboration with another State - in this case, the Draconis Combine) as opposed to the very design-happy Word of Blake. After all, ComStar only had a few ‘Mechs that it could truly call its own. Of course, this wouldn’t mean that the design would stay with ComStar - as with nearly all of their ‘Mechs, the Word of Blake would quickly lay their grubby hands on it as well.

The Tessen, at its core, is very much a streamlined version of a key Combine ‘Mech: the Grand Dragon. Each variant is powered by a 300-rated XL engine, moving the universal Endo-Steel frame the 6/9 speeds that make the heavy cavalry ‘Mech so dangerous. The Ferro-Fibrous protection is a reoccurring element as well, laid out as follows:

Code: [Select]
--- Armor: 161---------------------------------------------
--- Internal: 83-------------------------------------------
         FRONT                REAR                INTERNAL
         ( 9)                 (**)                  ( 3)
      /18|25|18\           / 6| 7| 6\            /12|16|12\
     (16/ || \16)         (   |  |   )          ( 8/ || \ 8)
       /  /\  \               /  \                /  /\  \
      (20/  \20)             /    \              (12/  \12)
This is interesting when compared to the Grand Dragon, especially the DRG-5K/C variants the Combine had at its disposal when the -1C made its debut in 3061, or the -C3 in 3062. Notoriously light on armor, these Grand Dragons mount almost the same amount of protection, although instead distributed as:

Code: [Select]
--- Armor: 160---------------------------------------------
--- Internal: 99-------------------------------------------
         FRONT                REAR                INTERNAL
         ( 9)                 (**)                  ( 3)
      /16|27|16\           / 8|12| 8\            /14|20|14\
     (14/ || \14)         (   |  |   )          (10/ || \10)
       /  /\  \               /  \                /  /\  \
      (18/  \18)             /    \              (14/  \14)

This does mean that in a frontal assault, the Tessen can withstand the exact same amount of punishment as the Grand Dragon on its side torsos, arms, legs and head. With both designs mounting an XL engine, the chances of the center torso getting cored is significantly less than the ‘Mech getting a side torso popped first; this makes the Tessen ever so slightly tougher due to its heavier armor instead of tougher internal structure. The lack of the Grand Dragon’s two bins of LRM ammo in the Left Torso is another boon in its favor, making the Tessen a surprisingly durable customer when used to replace Grand Dragons in their traditional roles.

The -1C continues the parallel to the Grand Dragon by mounting an ERPPC in its Right Arm. With the same right hook as the heavy ‘Mech, the secondary LRM weapon of the Grand Dragon is instead replaced by an iNarc. This is the core weapon of the Tessen, the gun the entire design was built around. Found in the left arm, it is fed by four tons of pod ammo. The original Medium Lasers of the Grand Dragon were swapped for a Medium Pulse Laser mounted underneath the ERPPC in the right arm, while a head-mounted TAG makes the Tessen an even better team player. As if that wasn’t enough, a C3i computer is found in the Center Torso, while CASE in the Left Torso prevents catastrophic ammunition explosions. A single extra double heat sink means the Tessen runs very cool, only overheating after an engine hit. BV comes in at 1162, a bargain for what you’re getting. More on that later.

~ ~ ~

The Combine TSN-C3 replaces the C3i with a standard C3 slave, with the weight savings being combined with the dropped CASE in order to add a second Medium Pulse Laser in the Left Torso. Losing the CASE is a non-issue - in all of my testing (and trust me, I tested it a lot) I failed to lose a single Tessen to an ammo explosion; the four shots per ton of ammo for the iNarc means that its more than easy to burn through those bins to add extra critpadding to that Left Arm. BV jumps up a bit, to 1234, but its a solid variant and one Combine players should definitely look into.

This variant is a steal when compared to the DRG-C. In my opinion, there is no reason to take the DRG-C when the Tessen is available. It might lose out in LRM damage, but makes gains in short ranged and anti-light firepower, gains the versatility of the iNarc, has TAG...this is very nearly a no-brainer.

~ ~ ~

3069 saw the first Tessen refit appear, with the TSN-1Cr combining features from both the -1N and the -C3. The C3 Slave reappears, but in the Left Arm this time. CASE remains, but a Guardian ECM suite now sits in the Center Torso. The second Medium Pulse Laser of the -C3 fails to make a return, making this variants an even more valuable support ‘Mech. BV is a tad more expensive (ECM can do that, at times), putting the -1Cr at 1241 BV.

~ ~ ~

The TSN-X-4 would be an experiment for an even rarer piece of technology. It would also be the first Tessen to toy with with a different formula, moving away from the iNarc in an attempt to greater fill other secondary roles. Its engine, the Endo-Steel chassis, the Medium Pulse laser and even the TAG, ERPPC and extra double heat sink remain...which must make a few of you wonder how this Tessen stands out from the others. Firstly, the iNarc was replaced with a C3 Remote Sensor Launcher. Probably one of the rarest pieces of hardware ever introduced to the game, it can draw from a total of 16 shots spread throughout four ammo bins, mimicking the original -1C’s weapon/ammo distribution. An Angel ECM Suite in the Center Torso follows the path first laid out by the -1Cr, while a Bloodhound Active Probe makes an unexpected appearance in its Right Torso. Finally, the armor gets slightly reduced, with a total of 152 points of Light Ferro protecting this model.

~ ~ ~

The final variant, appearing in 3077, would be the Combine’s -C3M. The standard formula remains - speed, XL engine, Endo-Steel, 161 points of Ferro, the ERPPC...but the support systems are completely revamped. The TAG and C3 system remain, but are condensed into a single C3 Master Computer. The Medium Pulse Laser and iNarc are themselves replaced by a Snub-Nosed PPC, while a Small Pulse Laser fills a dubious role as  anti-infantry or last ditch weapon. MASC ties the lot together, letting the -C3M sprint forward for short bursts and making it a surprisingly useful command ‘Mech for DRG-7K/7KC formations. Just watch your heat - you only have those same old 11 double heat sinks, so you’re gonna run hot. A 1/2/1 pattern with the main guns works great, following that should work well.

~ ~ ~

Now, more about that iNarc. It’s a steal. You’re paying 75 BV for the gun (a surprisingly low amount), and subtracting 60 BV because of that ammo found in the left arm. That’s a total of 15 BV (unmodified) for an amazingly useful gun, and part of why the Tessen is such a good team player. It is absurdly easy to fit a 1250 BV (or cheaper) unit into a force, and more importantly, into a C3 or C3i lance. And that, I feel, is where the Tessen shines the most.

You see, the Tessen is almost tailor-made to dismantle enemy and support allied C3/C3i formations. Load up some ECM pods, and you can quickly take the slower long-ranged gunboats out of your opponent’s C3 net. Throw out some ECCM pods, and your own network is now untouchable. Almost nearly as dangerous against Wobbie forces is the use of Nemesis pods - ever notice now many Blakist designs use Artemis IV? You will after the first Nemesis pod lands. And Haywire pods are the golden ticket against any force. In my testing, Haywire pods prevented an average of 65 points of damage per game - is that worth 15 BV? Certainly is in my book. And of course, you can always go for classic iNarc pods. Land one, duck for cover, and let the missiles rain down.

Since you aren’t paying much for the iNarc, you’re pretty much only paying for the ERPPC, 6/9 movement, and armor. Medium Pulse Lasers are cheap on BV, the TAG and C3 will only cost you if you choose to use them...so its quite a streamlined ‘Mech. Don’t underestimate the Medium Pulses, though. The -C3’s twin MPLs proved to be immensely useful at taking out enemy spotters in C3 vs C3i/C3 confrontations, letting the -C3 remain in its forward position while smacking down faster interdictors and ECCM podding slower ones. Hanging back with one at the beginning of the game can be a smart move - let those pods build up on the biggest, baddest target on the board and only close in once your initial spotter goes down and your opponent is suffering from stacking iNarc penalties.

The -X-4...well, it embraces the heavy scout role, that’s for sure. I definitely bemoan the loss of the iNarc, and I’m not much of a fan of the C3 Remote Sensor Launcher. The twin advanced electronic systems are great, as is the TAG, but it feels much more railroaded into that scout role than the other variants. I can’t help but feel like there are better options for what it does, and color me unsurprised that it never reached full production.

The -C3M suffers from the same loss of the iNarc, and I’m really not a fan of what it was replaced with. The Combine has a problem where:
a) It doesn’t have a lot of fast Masters, and
b) The fast Masters it does have are hampered by short-ranged weaponry.

Just take a look at them: the Bishamon -4K, with an MRM-10 as its longest-range weapon. Then the Grand Dragon -9KC, Scorpion -12K, and...Tessen -C3M, all three with Snub-Nose PPCs. A weapon that works well on brawlers and spotters, but with a damage drop-off at longer ranges (if you can call the 15-hex max range “long”) that isn’t ideal for a C3 Master unit. It works, sure, the speed and MASC helps it dance at ideal ranges, but...it’s dangerous. And the Small Pulse Laser just feels awfully out of place on this unit. In universe, I can understand how it was a simple swap to replace a hard to reload fringe weapon with something more practical, but overall, I'm personally not very impressed. The real bummer is its BV cost - at 1547, it costs a fortune.

Overall, the Tessen is definitely one of the "hidden gems" of TRO:3067, and I would highly recommend that players take one for a spin. It's pretty easy to fit one into a game, and if you want a ComStar unit that feels a bit more unusual, the Tessen is a good bet. I promise you won't be disappointed.

~ ~ ~

Iron Wind Metals: https://store.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4724
Camospecs: http://camospecs.com/IWM/Details/389/tessen-tsn-1c
Master Unit List: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=tessen
« Last Edit: 04 May 2020, 16:59:47 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Minemech

• Captain
Re: 'Mech of the Whenever: TSN-XX Tessen
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2020, 13:03:51 »
 The Tessen is a force multiplier in the hands of someone skilled in force design. Just having your fundamentals down makes this mech solid.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2020, 13:20:09 »
I’ve always been a huge Tessen fan (pardon the pun), especially since both factions I play get a flavor. I’m very fond of indirect fire, so I carry at least one ton of standard pods, maybe 2, then use the rest for whatever hoses my opponents most. Toss ECM pods on for great Wobbie-hobblers, Nemesis is great against Blake and Free Worlder forces, and Clanners too, since there’s quite a bit of Artemis, and of course anything with an ATM.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2020, 13:46:42 »
Ah, the beauty that is iNarc.
A way underused system that can be the centerpiece in every non-assault weight unit.
Unexpected article. Well done!  :thumbsup:
Though the PPC arrangement looks more like a giant flame thrower.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2020, 13:54:52 »
The drawings make this mech look ugly as hell.  BUT MAN does it work great in C3 or C3I lances...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Darkwing

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2020, 14:36:47 »
You are spot on. As a Wobbie player these have been the unsung heroes of my formations for years. They don't draw half the fire they should, streak around the field creating havoc or maintaining my c3i network, and all at a bargain price. I'm glad you did this one, it deserves it. 
''Do not judge yourself by the friends you have, but by the enemies you make.'' - Jerome Blake

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2020, 17:01:10 »
The Tessen is a no bones about it pure C3 Spotter, preferably with a whole company level net backing him in the Combine model.  The iNarc and TAG are the primary weapons, load up the level II or Company's LRMs with Narc and Semi-Active homing missiles.

Two other things about the iNarc, while it might weigh as much as a large laser, and nearly doubles that in pod ammo?  It has a large laser, or TAG's, range bands of 5/10/15.  Allowing higher survivabilty and accuracy by how far off it can stand and still get at least medium range.

This is a team player, carrying the company's force multipliers, and unlike many NARCers, it has the speed to get ahead of the main body and start handing out 'shoot me signs' early enough for a significant effect.  Plus they didn't try to make it carry LRMs as well, forcing a close then back off like the Archer, Trenchbucket, or Orion.

Finally I think you undersold one part of the iNarc homing beacon, not only do you get all the standard NARC bonuses (+2 cluster rolls, spotterless IDF), but also have a -1 to hit with all NARC homing missiles.

The only downside is their size, not just in ammo per ton, but that mechs can punch them off (roll as per swatting swarming infantry (PSR +4, plus any actuators as per a punch, punch yourself if you miss).  Vehicles?  Well if you are willing to park it for ten seconds and not shoot?  You can send one of  your (most junior ;D) crewmen scrambling out a hatch to pry an iNARC pod off.

With only four ammo bins, and five types (Homing, Nemesis, ECM, Haywire, and Explosive) decisions will have to be made.  Two tons of Homing is my bet unless my force is short of NARC capable missile racks.  Explosive is the most likely to leave at home.  From there you have to rely on pre-battle intelligence reports ( :facepalm:) for what will be your best support loads.  Zen load outs (1 with everything, save Explosive) is possible if you don't have very many friendly missile racks to support you.

Now to the last bit, your own guns.  Or *Plink* and "Oops!*  Your job is to get targeting data and distribute iNARC pods, along with some TAGging depending on what support is available.  That ER PPC is there to add a 10 point plink to a target from outside his ECM bubble, and the MPL(s) are "where the ****** did he come from!" guns.  On an ideal sortie you will never get a chance to fire them.  Generally since anyone trying to rush you is likely packing an ECM and looking to cut your links to the C3 net.  But then the world isn't ideal, and as the OP said, they are decent backup close in weapons.  Just as long as you remember they are backups.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2020, 17:47:51 by Nikas_Zekeval »

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2020, 17:20:15 »
Finally I think you undersold one part of the iNarc homing beacon, not do you get all the standard NARC bonuses (+2 cluster rolls, spotterless IDF), but also have a -1 to hit with all NARC homing missiles.

True, I did kind of only touch upon it briefly, but the -1 to-hit combined with any c3 spotting bonuses can make LRM boats in a Tessen-supported formation truly terrifying.

The only downside is their size, not just in ammo per ton, but that mechs can punch them off (roll as per swatting swarming infantry (PSR +4, plus any actuators as per a punch, punch yourself if you miss).

This, however, I hardly consider a downside. It's my experience that trying to brush off an iNarc pod is just a fancy was of saying you want your 'Mech to kill itself. The downsides of attempting it often vastly outweigh the upsides.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2020, 19:57:31 »
True, I did kind of only touch upon it briefly, but the -1 to-hit combined with any c3 spotting bonuses can make LRM boats in a Tessen-supported formation truly terrifying.

True, but even if the LRM boat isn't in the Tessen's network (Lack of C3, or ECM breaking it temporarily), it still works unless the target can huddle in a friendly ECM bubble.  A missile, particularly LRM, heavy force is one time you might consider deploying a Tessen even without a C3 network to back it up.

This, however, I hardly consider a downside. It's my experience that trying to brush off an iNarc pod is just a fancy was of saying you want your 'Mech to kill itself. The downsides of attempting it often vastly outweigh the upsides.

Difficult, but depending on the pilot, and the mech, not impossible.  Depends on the nature of the pod, the skill of the pilot, and if has at least one arm has all its actuators.  Do you have to tell the target what you tagged him with when it hits?  Or does he find out that was a Nemesis pod the hard way? >:D

Though given the lack of hands on Clan Omnimechs and what this design was aimed at...  :thumbsup:

Vehicles have it easier, and harder.  No damage and auto removal.  The trick is finding someplace where parking and crawling out with a crowbar to deal with the problem isn't suicide.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2020, 01:38:36 »
There aren't many mechs with both a C3i and non-artemis LRMs. The good bombardier, legacy 2, Guillotine 6WB, toyama 1b, wyvern 10N.

for MML you have a few more. Kintaro, initiate 4, deva dominus, grigori infernus, lightray 7, seraph invictus, battle cobra E, viking 3w, buccaneer 6w, exterminator 5f.

The thug is pretty much it for SRM designs.

C* and the WOB aren't set up for taking advantage of their signature systems together.

Given how much C3i nets cost, iNarc might actually be the better of the two in matched play. Weird.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2020, 02:29:27 »
Zen load outs (1 with everything, save Explosive)

Zen load-outs. Never heard that before..
and the MPL(s) are "where the ****** did he come from!" guns.  On an ideal sortie you will never get a chance to fire them. 

SO true.  OR to target those back-stabbing, small jumpers... 

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2020, 02:34:36 »
There aren't many mechs with both a C3i and non-artemis LRMs.

C* and the WOB aren't set up for taking advantage of their signature systems together.

Given how much C3i nets cost, iNarc might actually be the better of the two in matched play. Weird.
Well one thing easy to overlook is that you can still fire narc-compatibles out of an Artemis launcher, you just don’t get the arty bonus. I actually do that on my Bombardier, carrying half narc and half arty, so I can go arty until targets get podded.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2020, 08:01:49 »
SO true.  OR to target those back-stabbing, small jumpers...

I'd prefer to TAG it for Semi-Guided LRMs from my network. >:D

Another advantage to the relatively low BV, it hurts less to give a Tessen a better than average gunner skill to make sure those iNARC pods and TAG connect.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2020, 10:27:56 »
I wish we recieved the stats for the original version mentioned, before the electronic gear was added.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2020, 10:45:32 »
I wish we recieved the stats for the original version mentioned, before the electronic gear was added.

The fluff mentions the actually produced versions were slower than the original design, so most likely a 7/11 50 tonner, so 6.5 tons more for the larger 350 XL engine and heavier gyro.  C3i, iNarc, and TAG were mentioned as added, so that is 12.5 tons, and armor is said to be the same and also FF.

So six tons on top of the ER PPC and MPL.  If yanking the CASE too but adding a BAP for its role as a scout?  That gives five tons for more lasers, or missile racks.  The original project was shelved in 3055, so that gives a time for available tech.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2020, 14:56:37 »
Another advantage to the relatively low BV, it hurts less to give a Tessen a better than average gunner skill to make sure those iNARC pods and TAG connect.

If one runs things in a BV method, that's a good point.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2020, 23:51:47 »
The Tessen is one of those 'Mechs that I always wanted to use more, but as a WoB player back in the day, I wasn't exactly playing a ton of ComStar 'Mechs. I've used it a relative handful of times over the years, and I can't say I remember it particularly standing out, to be honest.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #17 on: 27 April 2020, 01:33:06 »
I really want to run one of these things alongside a couple RepoMechs  as part of a 'Materiel Reclamation' lance. The Tessen would be able to use the iNARC pods (mostly haywires) to futz up opponents and give the Trebs a better chance at closing with a target safely, to do their thing. Not sure about the fourth member. Either something with a TSEMP, or something with a lot of MMLs, for a variety of futzing ammo like smoke or inferno.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #18 on: 27 April 2020, 09:59:59 »
This was an excellent review of a BattleMech I've also overlooked for years.  I'm honestly looking forward to the next time I get an opportunity to loop a Tessen into one of my forces now, which is one of the best things a 'Mech of the Week article can do: Create enthusiasm for little-known BattleMechs.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #19 on: 27 April 2020, 10:02:52 »
I really want to run one of these things alongside a couple RepoMechs  as part of a 'Materiel Reclamation' lance. The Tessen would be able to use the iNARC pods (mostly haywires) to futz up opponents and give the Trebs a better chance at closing with a target safely, to do their thing. Not sure about the fourth member. Either something with a TSEMP, or something with a lot of MMLs, for a variety of futzing ammo like smoke or inferno.

Keep trying to suggest DA era mechs when its early Republic, lol.  Were the TSEMPs even available after the Jihad or was it later?  Fourth member might be a Black Hawk KU or FS9-O . . . hmm, no Firestarter with fluid guns?

If you are looking for more hijinks with the Tessen, besides Haywire . . . remember the iNARC bolo round!  Stops that mech from getting away by tying it up!.  Lol, replay the opening scene of Pacific Rim 2.

As far as the Tessen . . . the availability & faction options always made it hard to get to play.  I have not normally run SL forces, and especially with anything besides old SL mechs.  Unfortunately its in there with a handful of post-Terra designs that ComStar had a hand in like the Viking, Helios and Beowulf which did not get a chance to spread too far.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #20 on: 27 April 2020, 10:31:14 »
Given my group's BV limits, and what the Republic gets in the Early Rep era, I'm looking at two Trebuchet-K7Rs, one Tessen-1Cr, and 1 Arctic Wolf J. A fast force that can bring down a mech nonlethally, or put something down hard if it needs to.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 27 April 2020, 12:35:04 »
If you are looking for more hijinks with the Tessen, besides Haywire . . . remember the iNARC bolo round!  Stops that mech from getting away by tying it up!.  Lol, replay the opening scene of Pacific Rim 2.

Unfortunately, Bola rounds are only available to standard Narc launchers.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #22 on: 27 April 2020, 12:51:30 »
I think my preferred load for a repo Tessen would be two tons of Haywire pods, plus a ton each of ECM and Nemesis, to possibly take advantage of situations as they arise. ECM is good for the obvious kerfuffling of electronics, and from an RP perspective, it prevents retired mechwarrior Joe-bubba from calling his cousins in the next farm over for reinforcements until you're ready to deal with them. Nemesis pods come into play when cousins inevitably happen, and help force them to spread out, making your job at least a bit easier.

Homing pods would be of little use, given that the rest of the lance is mostly Streak-armed.

...huh. Just noticed that the Tessen's PPC is going to be one of my only real armor-cutting weapons, too
My wife writes books

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
« Reply #23 on: 27 April 2020, 12:53:04 »
The drawings make this mech look ugly as hell.

Yeah, this is from a period when almost all the 'Mechs looked really gross and "un-BattleTech-y" to me.  The Tessen looks like the gross offspring of a Gundam and a Beowulf.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #24 on: 27 April 2020, 13:05:46 »
*sobs in Bloodhound*
My wife writes books

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #25 on: 27 April 2020, 21:47:34 »
Hunh, I love the look of the Tessen. Different strokes, I guess.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2020, 23:41:56 »
There are worse looking mechs. There are even worse looking mechs from Loose.

I won't call it great, but it doesn't look horrible. Although the shoulders do look interesting - how many pieces does the mini come in?

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #27 on: 28 April 2020, 09:30:34 »
Were the TSEMPs even available after the Jihad or was it later? 

T-SEMP is Dark Age. The similar (but not as good) taser was Jihad.
I have spoken.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #28 on: 28 April 2020, 09:32:25 »
Yeah, I knew the TSEMP came out of the Taser, I just did not know how quickly & std vs advanced rules break down off the top of my head.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
« Reply #29 on: 28 April 2020, 11:27:58 »
There are worse looking mechs. There are even worse looking mechs from Loose.

Sure, I'd never say Loose was infallible. Anyone who likes the Vulcan or Quickdraw has a very different aesthetic sense from me.