Author Topic: 'Mech of the Monday: GAL-XXX Gallowglas  (Read 7384 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Monday: GAL-XXX Gallowglas
« on: 04 May 2020, 18:33:42 »
Ol' Roundface himself, from TRO: 3055

Battletech, when it first came out, didn't have the luxury of having many faction-specific 'Mechs. Starting with only a single TRO (3025), many of the designs weren't necessarily fluffed out as being overly factional in the same ways as we see nowadays. While certain factions could lay claim to a handful of flagship models, no single faction came as close to having a full set of unique designs than the Wolf's Dragoons. With more than half a dozen unique designs to their name after the appearance of their sourcebook, the Dragoons had the 'Mechs to fight at an advantage in nearly every scenario. One gap in their roster, however, was a lack of a "unique" Heavy 'Mech; although they did produce their own variant of the Archer, the 'Mech itself was hardly an uncommon design.

Cue the Clan Invasion and TRO:3055. With the Clan juggernaut steamrolling every force opposing them, the  Dragoons realized that rapid production and reintroduction of Clantech was necessary for their forces. The follow-up to the initial move to produce older, proven OmniMech designs and weapons would be the development and production of the Gallowglas. First appearing in 3055, Blackwell Heavy Industries would initially offer a single variant for the 'Goons along with two lower-tech variants for Mercenaries of all stripes. Production of the design would continue up until the beginning of the Jihad, when the massive devastation of Outreach likely put a sudden and terminal end to the production of the design.

Code: [Select]
Gallowglas WD
--- Armor: 192---------------------------------------------
--- Internal: 107 (Endo-Steel) ----------------------------
--- Weapons: Clan ERPPC (RA), Clan ER Medium Laser x2 (RT), Clan Small Pulse Laser x2 (LA)
--- Heat Sinks: 15 [30] -----------------------------------
--- Movement: 5/8/3 ---------------------------------------

FRONT                REAR                INTERNAL
         ( 9)                 (**)                  ( 3)
      /23|30|23\           / 7| 9| 7\            /15|22|15\
     (20/ || \20)         (   |  |   )          (11/ || \11)
       /  /\  \               /  \                /  /\  \
      (22/  \22)             /    \              (15/  \15)

Although a bit of a departure from how I usually do things, the first variant we'll be looking at is *not* the featured TRO version, but rather the Clan-spec variant produced exclusively for the Dragoons. With respectable armor, a standard engine, and an entirely laser-based weapon array, the base Gallowglas is meant to be tough, able to operate independently, and mount enough firepower to be able to operate at multiple ranges against multiple different types of targets. Unique to this Gallowglas variants, it moves at heavy cavalry speeds, and is a significant threat to most Spheroid designs no matter their role. The selling point of the variant, versus other similarly-designed 'Mechs such as the Falconer, is definitely the added durability of the standard engine. Make the best of it you can.

Against Clan targets, however, the Gallowglas WD will rapidly find itself lacking. Its firepower is lackluster for such a heavy design, with a good amount of tonnage taken up by enough sinks to keep the WD cool even when alpha-striking every round. With that in mind, one on one duels against traditional Clanners should typically be avoided, as the higher firepower of many Clan designs can rapidly overwhelm the Gallowglas WD. Instead, I find that it works well as part of a larger lance, where its added durability serves it well over the course of multiple skirmishes or engagements.

Gallowglas GAL-1GLS
--- Weapons: ERPPC (RA), Large Laser x2 (RT), Medium Pulse Laser x2 (LA), Small Laser (Head)
--- Heat Sinks: 18 [36] -----------------------------------
--- Movement: 4/6/3 ---------------------------------------

The GAL-1GLS, featured in TRO:3055, would become the most widespread variant of the design. As the main variant designed for the mercenary sales, it hits most of the demands that most mercenary players (both in- and out-of-universe) look for in their designs. It is very much a "zombie" 'Mech. With no critical weaknesses to exploit, taking one of these out will usually require doing things the hard way - AKA, breaking that center torso apart. With respectable firepower, two pulses to keep lights honest, and three jump jets, the -1GLS is very much a durable jack-of-all-trades.

It does have a few "weaker" points, however, in its slightly paltry long-ranged firepower, slightly low point-blank damage, and weakish leg armor. As such, the best way to use one tends to be to keep it in the midfield, where it can continuously contribute to the battle with its two Large Lasers and single ERPPC. As with the WD variant, most of these weaknesses can be covered by working alongside a larger lance, although the inclusion of the three jump jets give it the ability to outmaneuver opponents in close-ranged one-on-one duels.

Gallowglas GAL-2GLS
--- Weapons: Gauss Rifle (RA), Large Laser x2 (RT), Medium Pulse Laser (LA)
--- Other: Gauss Rifle Ammunition (2 tons, RT), CASE (RT)
--- Heat Sinks: 10 [20] -----------------------------------

The -2GLS is a simple variant, one that makes a few sacrifices in order to upgrade the primary weapon into a Gauss Rifle. While this might appear to turn the -2GLS into a more devastating threat in the midfield, this model (and most of its descendants) suffers from a few glaring weaknesses that a savvy opponent can exploit. Firstly, nearly all of its firepower is concentrated on the right side of the 'Mech. If that torso pops, the -2GLS is left with a single Medium Pulse Laser to its name. Secondly, the Left Torso is entirely devoid of critical equipment, meaning that any critical hits to that location float directly into the CT to most likely become an Engine or Gyro hit.

As a result, the -2GLS doesn't really have a "favorable" arc that it can present to the opponent, making it somewhat more fragile than its Standard Engine would first suggest. As the Gauss Rifle tends to attract more enemy fire, whether due to its increased damage or because of its explosive vulnerability, it is my experience that the two key flaws of this variant tend to come into play sooner rather than later.

Gallowglas GAL-3GLS
--- Armor: 208---------------------------------------------
--- Weapons: Gauss Rifle (RA), ER Large Laser x2 (RT), ER Medium Laser (LA)
--- Other: Gauss Rifle Ammunition (2 tons, RT), CASE (RT), Targeting Computer (LT), Triple Strength Myomer
--- Movement: 4/6 -----------------------------------------

/23|32|23\           / 7| 9| 7\            /15|22|15\
     (21/ || \21)         (   |  |   )          (11/ || \11)
      (28/  \28)             /    \              (15/  \15)

The -3GLS is an intelligent evolution of the -2GLS, and one that corrects most of its progenitor's flaws. First appearing in 3064 alongside the -4GLS, these variants would see deployment within the Dragoons in addition to being sold on the open market. The installation of a Light Engine and a Targeting Computer remove the crit-floating problem of the -2GLS, while the Light Engine doesn't add much vulnerability to a chassis that already suffered greatly from side torso weakness. The ER Lasers allow the -3GLS to operate at longer ranges, while the Triple Strength Myomer and reinforced leg armor improves its performance at knife-fighting range.

I feel like the -3GLS better continues the "jack-of-all-trades" nature of the base model, improving its performance and allowing the Gallowglas to continue to be a credible threat in later eras. While removing its Right Torso will still take out most of its firepower, having TSM means that it can usually use the added heat from the two engine hits to charge into close range and kick a leg or two off before retreating.

Gallowglas GAL-4GLS
--- Weapons: Gauss Rifle (RA), ER Large Laser x2 (RT), ER Medium Laser (LA)
--- Other: Gauss Rifle Ammunition (2 tons, RT), CASE (RT)
--- Movement: 4/6/4 ---------------------------------------

The -4GLS is nothing more than a compromise model between the -2GLS and the -3GLS. The weapon payload remains similar to the -3GLS (albeit minus the Targeting Computer), making it a potent combatant at range. An additional fourth Jump Jet also gives it more maneuverability than said variant, making the -4GLS a useful asset in more broken terrain. That said, it still suffers from the very potent flaws of the -2GLS. A return towards the standard engine leaves the Left Torso empty once more, while it doesn't have the TSM to keep it going if it loses the firepower mounted in the Right Torso.

As a result, I'm more loath to recommend this variant. In fact, I almost prefer the older -2GLS over this one, where it can maintain a heavier array of mid-ranged firepower over longer periods without building up large amounts of heat.

Gallowglas GAL-4GLSA
--- Weapons: Gauss Rifle (RA), ER Large Laser (RT), ER Medium Laser x3 (RTx2, LA), ER Small Laser
--- Other: Gauss Rifle Ammunition (2 tons, RT), CASE (RT), Guardian ECM Suite (LT)
--- Heat Sinks: 11 [22] -----------------------------------
--- Movement: 4/6/4 ---------------------------------------

The -4GLSA, on the other hand, chooses to replace one of the ER Large Lasers with improved short-range firepower and ECM. The better bracketing of the firepower is welcome, and the ECM allows for at least some critpadding in that vulnerable Left Torso. As a result, the durability and flexibility of the -4GLSA improve somewhat compared to its parent variant, making this refit a welcome one.

It is therefore somewhat disappointing that the variant never became widespread; having only seen limited production in 3067 before the destruction of Blackwell Industries, this variant is the only model to face extinction by the Dark Ages.

Gallowglas GAL-2GLSA
--- Weapons: Heavy PPC (RA), Light PPC (RA) Large Laser x2 (RT), Medium Pulse Laser (LA)
--- Other: CASE (RT)
--- Heat Sinks: 10 [28] -----------------------------------

The final variant to appear, the -2GLSA hit battlefields in 3069 as a Jihad-era field refit of the -2GLS. All things considered, it does a pretty good job of improving things. It no longer has any explosive criticals, and the inclusion of additional heat sinks in the Left Torso eliminates what was otherwise a glaring flaw in the -2GLS. Heat is a bit harder to juggle and range slightly reduced, but I find that the benefits here outweigh the drawbacks - even if now-useless CASE remains installed in the Right Torso.

~ ~ ~

In most cases, killing a Gallowglas will take a while. Crippling one is another story; removing the Right Torso neuters nearly all of the variants, while critting out the Left Torso can seriously hurt or outright kill many of them as well. The legs are often somewhat underarmored, and many of the variants are geared toward mid-to-long ranged combat. Closing into point-blank range can be of benefit here - however, it is important to remember that many Gallowglas variants mount jump jets, and can outmaneuver you in those knife-fighting ranges if needed. With that in mind, the best opponent to take out a Gallowglas is typically a unit faster unit, one that can maintain pressure on one of the Gallowglas' arcs or another depending on the flow of the battle.

Fielding one can also be a challenge at times. The standard engines most variants carry does make their BV a bit more expensive, especially with the weaknesses that many variants have. Try to get the best out of the advantages you have: vary which side arc you show your opponent depending on whats getting thrown at you, don't rush into short range, and shield those legs a bit if possible. I find that it tends to be a 'Mech that rewards good use, moreso than certain other designs out there. And if used well, the Gallowglas is worthy of quite a bit of respect.

~ ~ ~

Master Unit List: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=gallowglas
Iron Wind Metals: https://store.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6590
Camospecs: http://camospecs.com/IWM/Details/238/gallowglas-gal-1gls
« Last Edit: 05 May 2020, 10:30:44 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: 'Mech of the Monday: GAL-XXX Gallowglas
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2020, 09:42:14 »
Hm, unfortunately it does not get a Mini of the Fortnight yet . . . but here is the mini pic to include here-

I do LOVE the Gallowglas . . . and wish they would give us a 'original' Dragoon design they were rolling with when they first showed up, dropping it down to L1 tech would be rather easy, just depend on how much you want it to cool.  With that said, I have pretty much stuck to the 1GLS . . . the RT loading has never really been a problem, mostly b/c since its so hard to kill folks focus on other things in the lance/company/BN.  The durability of the design would definitely explain why it was still kicking going into the Dark Ages though I do wonder if it sort of got the Shogun treatment as well.

One other reason I think it makes sense for a merc trooper, at least the 1, is it offers options for mercs to upgrade on their own- the design has lots of 'room' making it easier to customize.  You can put on Clan weapons or DHS, later on upgrade it with a LFE to get more pod space, it lets the merc techs tinker with the design trying to fine tune it for their command.  Question really is, like the Marauder II and others, is what sort of rep with the Dragoons or AMC did you need to buy one 'new?'

Never used the WD, but I thought it was another of the 'older' Clan designs, IIRC it appears on the General list.

Btw, article does not say if FF or ES in the construction?  I do not remember off the top of my head.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2020, 10:16:59 »
Btw, article does not say if FF or ES in the construction?  I do not remember off the top of my head.

192 points of armor works out to 12 tons standard plate, and working the math, (and checking sarna.net) shows an Endo-Steel frame.

Looking at the WD model, and checking the MUL, Colt missed that it still keeps three jump jets, and if I remember the size of a 350 engine correctly (29.5 tons) then it works out to standard armor and endosteel on that as well.

As for the designs, I like both the -1GLS and -2GLS.  The former is the zombie flashbulb, and the standard engine makes both cheep for a heavy, 6.5 to 6.6 million C-bills.  Maybe run the two variants in a lance together, the -2GLS having the lance's heavy armor cracker, the Gauss Rifle, with the -1GLS getting up closer for the beam spam chaser.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2020, 10:30:01 »
With that said, I have pretty much stuck to the 1GLS . . . the RT loading has never really been a problem, mostly b/c since its so hard to kill folks focus on other things in the lance/company/BN.

The -1GLS doesn't really suffer from that Right Torso problem as much as the other variants, since it still has two Medium Pulses and a Small Laser even if it loses that location...which isn't the best, but it's decent enough.

Never used the WD, but I thought it was another of the 'older' Clan designs, IIRC it appears on the General list.

It does not, it's a 'Goon exclusive. It does become available to the Wolves-in-Exile after the Jihad, but that's probably due to the close relations between the two on Arc-Royal more than actual production of the design.

Argh, my bad, meant to put that somewhere but forgot. All variants use Endo-Steel, no Ferro.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2020, 11:11:29 »
A 6 hex max range on a 4/6/3 is still too short . . . I mean, you lose the RT and its time to run away and hope anything that tries to chase you down to finish you off before you can get back to a recovery point comes within 6 hexes.

It might be a change between books, but I thought Combat Ops had it General like other Dragoon 'C' mechs . . . though the WD might signify not.

So yeah, FF or LFF later would be a 'easier' merc upgrade along with weapons changes.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2020, 11:14:40 »
I always hated the two larges and PPC being in the same side.  Always preferred moving one of the larges to the other torso as a balance.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2020, 12:07:02 »
For a design that historically always has the primary armament on the right side, it always surprised me that there wasn't even a custom shield-bearing variant. Mechanically speaking, it's one of the few mechs I would actively try to get my opponents into the left hitting arc of, just so the left torso goes first hopefully.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2020, 14:28:44 »
I have to wonder about the utility if using the Gallowglas as a training mech. Not for cadets in-universe, but for teaching tactics to new players. It's an energy boat, so you don't need to cover ammunition expenditure or explosions just yet. It can heat up in order to showcase the risks (and rewards) of heating up with an alpha strike, but it runs cool enough when sticking to the main guns that piloting one isn't an exercise in frustration. Having all the big guns on one side also helps teach the hazards of getting flanked, and once you give them a few pointers about the side hit location tables it'll also teach them how to protect a damaged flank.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2020, 14:43:05 »
Anyone else notice a more than a passing resemblance to the Black Knight?

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2020, 14:54:19 »
Pretty vague, but yeah. Wouldn't surprise me if Blackwell used the plans for that mech as a starting point. Isn't this their first truly new design, if you don't count the Marauder II?
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2020, 15:31:59 »
Anyone else notice a more than a passing resemblance to the Black Knight?

Not so much in the original art:

Always reminded me of a giant Wasp.

The Gallowglas is a quite serviceable 'Mech, but I'll never use one again. Freakishly bad things happen every time I do. And always to undamaged, or virtually undamaged ones.

There were at least two beheadings, a PPC to the head that caused a cockpit hit, the infamous 2-12-3, breaching my center torso falling in water and finally taking a pilot hit from an LB-X pellet to the head, going unconscious on a 2, falling over and taking another hit, and being unable to roll a 5 or better to regain consciousnesses on 4 consecutive tries.

To me it's the Brokenglas!
I have spoken.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2020, 15:49:08 »
Note: That's not actually the original art - the original had one laser in each side torso... ::)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2020, 15:51:42 »
Pretty vague, but yeah. Wouldn't surprise me if Blackwell used the plans for that mech as a starting point. Isn't this their first truly new design, if you don't count the Marauder II?

Well, it might be the PPC, 2 LL, and Med Lasers w/SFE . . . you get some variation with jumping, but IIRC the BK puts a LL in each torso.  The BK is a in-universe proven warload with a few MLs dropped to jump and the PPC up to a ER while remaining Meds became pulse.
Colt Ward

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2020, 16:40:28 »
Someone else remembers!  I remember seeing the stats and though it was a typo!

Note: That's not actually the original art - the original had one laser in each side torso... ::)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2020, 18:44:59 »
I actually think the Mech resembles a oversized Griffin.
I like firepower ocf this guy, not a fan of crit placement.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2020, 00:10:00 »

Oh snap, you made me open up my old copy of 3055 for that one. You're totally right. That's hilarious.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2020, 06:32:13 »
So there could be typo in the original stats for this big boy? Or a false weapons port quirk?. I rather have a weapon in the empty torso.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2020, 08:12:31 »
I suspect it's a typo that got canonized, but I doubt anyone will admit that... ::)

Thought admittedly on the XLFE original it didn't matter much, lose a side torso and you're dead anyway.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2020, 08:44:21 »
The original 3055 had multiple errors, so assume it's the least reliable source. Remember the OS SSRM-2 packs the Grand Titan was supposed to have?
My wife writes books

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 06 May 2020, 08:50:34 »
I find it to be quite interesting that the IS-downgraded version has more or less the same firepower before you reach the small laser.
You lose 5 from the ppc, gain 1 from each torso laser, and 3, if I remember right, from the pulse lasers. Goes to show the power of clan tech.

Would also be downright entertaining if the original thought was indeed a laser per side torso, and then they fudged it and ran with it.
Certainly gives the mech more character.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2020, 09:27:31 »
Thought admittedly on the XLFE original it didn't matter much, lose a side torso and you're dead anyway.

No XL engine on any version.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2020, 09:48:19 »
I enjoy the Gallowglas, it fits in well the other 70 ton machines but still stands out. I have compared it to the Black Knight in the pass but it's closer to the Grasshopper or Cataphract.

I find it to be quite interesting that the IS-downgraded version has more or less the same firepower before you reach the small laser.
You lose 5 from the ppc, gain 1 from each torso laser, and 3, if I remember right, from the pulse lasers. Goes to show the power of clan tech.

Believe the IS version came first IRL though in universe, the Clan tech version is mostly for the additional range than firepower. Same reason the Gauss models get such praise.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2020, 18:16:26 »
I enjoy the Gallowglas, it fits in well the other 70 ton machines but still stands out. I have compared it to the Black Knight in the pass but it's closer to the Grasshopper or Cataphract.

Believe the IS version came first IRL though in universe, the Clan tech version is mostly for the additional range than firepower. Same reason the Gauss models get such praise.

The Clantech WD basically has the same range as the -1GLS, while firepower mostly stays the same (just concentrated in different blocks, like UnLimiTeD said).
The Clantech does it all to hit 5/8 speeds.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 2020, 19:37:39 »
The Clantech WD basically has the same range as the -1GLS, while firepower mostly stays the same (just concentrated in different blocks, like UnLimiTeD said).

With a standard 350 engine too, it should be noted.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: 06 May 2020, 20:12:31 »

Yeah, I was thinking standard PPC for some dumb reason. xp
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2020, 21:40:33 »
Hmm, a Gallowglas 1 with Clan Std Large Lasers . . . would that free up 2 tons?  or was it just crits?
Colt Ward

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2020, 00:11:01 »
Hmm, a Gallowglas 1 with Clan Std Large Lasers . . . would that free up 2 tons?  or was it just crits?
2 tons and 2 crits. While you were at it, wouldn't be an awful idea to replace the ERPPC with an Improved PPC, free up the third ton.

Though it's getting into customs territory at that point.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2020, 00:17:41 by Caedis Animus »

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2020, 00:48:53 »
2 tons and 2 crits. While you were at it, wouldn't be an awful idea to replace the ERPPC with an Improved PPC, free up the third ton.

Though it's getting into customs territory at that point.

Except the design is crit packed, unless the changes free up crits.  You could slap on more armor I suppose, and I wish the did rather than use the small laser.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2020, 01:07:16 »
Messed up the name Caedis, its the Enhanced ERPPC that gets more damage from Clan Wolverine developments.  Nikas, its the same as the regular IS ERPPC except it manages to get 2 more points of damage.

I wish we got a bit more of the Gallowglas appearing in AMC & Chaos March activities.  No answer on what sort of Dragoon or AMC rep you had to have to be able to get one?
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #29 on: 07 May 2020, 02:48:09 »
It really says something about Clantech that the Gallowglas WD is an excellent heavy cavalry mech by Inner Sphere standards and a dumpster fire by Clan standards.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register