Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Cadaver CVR-XX  (Read 6481 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Cadaver CVR-XX
« Reply #30 on: 25 June 2020, 14:34:37 »
My point sorta was that one ton of MRM ammo is already excessive for one launcher. Approx 10 shots is OK for a pick-up game, 15+ is great, IMO. If there were MRM alt munitions, two tons would be nice, but there isn't so it is terrible.
I know there's the clicky tech limits, which is why i'd like a LRM version.

Ah, I see, my bad.

As for the Apollo FCS... i don't like it, especially for larger racks. Sure, to hit penalty is pretty bad but when you're throwing 30 or 40 missiles, i want reasonable chances of hitting with as many of them as possible (when i hit), and the Apollo goes against that. On smaller MRM racks, it may be OK, but on purely stats-wise we're talking about spending 33% (for MRM-10) additional weight for a module on a 30 ton 'Mech and i'm not keen on that. I'd rather throw in TAG, C3 slave, additional medium laser or something similar.

Yeah, I'm actually with you on that. The MRM is fine as it is in my opinion, though of course the extra ton of ammo could be swapped for something else. I'm actually a fan of your Active Probe suggestion, and it'd be pretty easy to scrounge up the extra half ton for that.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 25 June 2020, 15:00:00 »
Yeah, I'm actually with you on that. The MRM is fine as it is in my opinion, though of course the extra ton of ammo could be swapped for something else. I'm actually a fan of your Active Probe suggestion, and it'd be pretty easy to scrounge up the extra half ton for that.

Or be weird and buy Clan PA or Clan Light AP from the Foxes . . . who are buying this mech for resell.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 25 June 2020, 15:32:12 »
While among the Clans the Watchdog CEWS is dubious (because of it weight and size, and because Light Active Probe and standard Clan ECM suite is actually a better combination for equal size and mass), for Spheroids it would be nifty.
Pull a Guardian or Beagle, and slap a Watchdog there. You lose range, but you gain both capabilities.

Would be actually nice here. Replacing some Guardians with Beagles is a possibility, but then you need two 'Mechs to get both functions on the field at once.

I'm actually a fan of your Active Probe suggestion, and it'd be pretty easy to scrounge up the extra half ton for that.
? I was just suggesting replacing the Guardian with a Beagle for a sub-variant/field mod, not in addition.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 25 June 2020, 16:36:30 »
Would be actually nice here. Replacing some Guardians with Beagles is a possibility, but then you need two 'Mechs to get both functions on the field at once.
? I was just suggesting replacing the Guardian with a Beagle for a sub-variant/field mod, not in addition.

The old Firestarter S & S1 idea?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 25 June 2020, 16:54:51 »
The old Firestarter S & S1 idea?
Yeah.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 25 June 2020, 17:38:50 »
Well, if you already have a spare ton of ammo you don't want, might as well add it. Though replacing the ECM is certainly the more straightforward switch.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #36 on: 26 June 2020, 00:04:51 »
Both visually and firepower-wise, it feels like some infantryman's nightmare of a Valkyrie chasing them come to horrible life. the spindly limbs, hunched over torso and screaming skull-face cockpit must be terribly unnerving to have looming over you setting fire to the surrounding and spewing missiles into buildings like a confetti gun.

i'm not so sure about the design choice though. i guess it's showing my age, but i can't really wrap my head around using XL-engines unless it's absolutely the way to go about things and the Cadaver isn't convincing me it couldn't find another way. i suspect it's meant for pirate hunting duty/picket work against same where it's reaction speed and firepower should let it threaten generally already battered pirate armor and the flamer is enough to discourage their infantry from trying to get brave with their looting but who knows. hardly needs the ECM then though.....that said i love a full-head ejection system and this 'mech has a good looking one. buy five, use them to replace them on other 'mechs!
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #37 on: 26 June 2020, 14:00:58 »
I've liked this little 'Mech since I first read about it in the 3145 Mercs TRO. The fact that it sounds like a T-72 of the Dark Ages (exported everywhere) helps a lot too! I keep hoping that IWM breaks up the Undead Lance Pack and sells the minis individually...
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 26 June 2020, 14:06:11 »
I've liked this little 'Mech since I first read about it in the 3145 Mercs TRO. The fact that it sounds like a T-72 of the Dark Ages (exported everywhere) helps a lot too! I keep hoping that IWM breaks up the Undead Lance Pack and sells the minis individually...

Might be worth sending them an email. I dunno what dictates a 'Mech being lancepack exclusive or not, but if they're all made separately, it might be possible to get your hands on just a Cadaver.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 27 June 2020, 20:35:00 »
It was interesting design, aside visual ugliness to me it's legs.  Their weird.  I guess they sort related to the Helepolis legs, which i always pictured the entire mech's body/legs would flex after the big artillery cannon would fire. 

While the MRMs aren't popular, i do like to having additional reloads if i'm using this thing in campaign vs pick up game.  While it's not a spectacular design, its still more servicable than other ones.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #40 on: 29 July 2020, 06:18:06 »
I just can't get past the name. "We're assigning you to a 'Mech named for a corpse" sends a mixed message, at least to me.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Register