Author Topic: Looking for info on Grey Jedi  (Read 1603 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Looking for info on Grey Jedi
« on: 09 January 2020, 16:21:07 »
was there anything published that gives us more of a background, or is it more I kinda consider Ahsoka Tano to have become one.

My nephew is looking at a WEG Starwars game but would like to try to play a Grey Jedi.  And as the fool, who agreed when i wasn't truly paying attention. 

Any help from my fellow nerds?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Looking for info on Grey Jedi
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2020, 16:59:07 »
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi

they were a legends only concept, one that the canon has instead replaced with simple non-jedi force users. (the 2nd meaning, one of jedi that walk the line between light and dark, no longer has a term in the canon.)
this is largely because in legends, "jedi" was used as a term for force users in general, and not exclusively for a specific organization like it is in canon. (the canon also does not make a distinction between "light and dark side powers" for the force.. they are available to both but in the canon the distinction is more about the philosophy regarding how to use the force rather than actual powers)

using the old definitions though, Ashoka would probably qualify in both forms, given she left the Jedi Order and after that went on to do a lot of things that were of questionable ethics during the imperial times.

by its definition Ezra Bridger and even Luke Skywalker would qualify as well.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2020, 17:02:28 by glitterboy2098 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2020, 20:39:51 »
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi

they were a legends only concept, one that the canon has instead replaced with simple non-jedi force users. (the 2nd meaning, one of jedi that walk the line between light and dark, no longer has a term in the canon.)
this is largely because in legends, "jedi" was used as a term for force users in general, and not exclusively for a specific organization like it is in canon. (the canon also does not make a distinction between "light and dark side powers" for the force.. they are available to both but in the canon the distinction is more about the philosophy regarding how to use the force rather than actual powers)

using the old definitions though, Ashoka would probably qualify in both forms, given she left the Jedi Order and after that went on to do a lot of things that were of questionable ethics during the imperial times.

by its definition Ezra Bridger and even Luke Skywalker would qualify as well.

Cade Skywalker was one in Star Wars: Legacy comic book series.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2020, 00:01:26 »
grays were only mentioned in legends. also there is a guy on you tube that did an indepth review on them supposedly they were more like police force of the jedi and temple guardians....also they carried none of the standard colors for blades blue or green  most carried the gold colored ones. as i recall they had alos their own training facilities seperate from jedi and council had to recommend one to be a gray jedi
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2020, 00:50:34 »
grays were only mentioned in legends. also there is a guy on you tube that did an indepth review on them supposedly they were more like police force of the jedi and temple guardians....also they carried none of the standard colors for blades blue or green  most carried the gold colored ones. as i recall they had alos their own training facilities seperate from jedi and council had to recommend one to be a gray jedi

IDK,  That sounds like Jedi Sentinels v/s Gray Jedi to me.
Not the same thing.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2020, 03:10:38 »
Wasn't Qui-Gon listed as a Grey Jedi by at least some sources?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2020, 10:35:33 »
The Imperial Knights from Legacy would probably qualify as well. They had no allegiance to the light or dark side, only to the Empire itself.
I have spoken.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2020, 13:28:39 »
IDK,  That sounds like Jedi Sentinels v/s Gray Jedi to me.
Not the same thing.
in legends the two got a bit muddled, since the temple guardians were said to study the deeper mysteries of the force, including the dark side, and thus usually wound up grey jedi.

one of the things Canon dropped thankfully, though given that we have a canon Temple Guardian turned High Inquisitor in Rebels, the idea that the guardians sometimes studied things in the archives that they shouldn't have certainly would seem to apply. though honestly i'm surprised that at how few jedi actually fell to the dark side during the clone wars.. on screen at least. Fighting a war is about as antithetical to the jedi philosophy as you can get. part of the reason why the question of "how does a true jedi fight a war" was such a recurring theme in the later seasons of Rebels i think.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2020, 13:31:33 by glitterboy2098 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2020, 19:44:25 »
The Imperial Knights from Legacy would probably qualify as well. They had no allegiance to the light or dark side, only to the Empire itself.
I believe your correct, i think at least one of them was dark side user though.

I personally like the setting of Legacy, fresh start, built on thinnest things of the past without the past overwhelming story's future.
Its do as well as it could have.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2020, 20:10:03 »
in legends the two got a bit muddled, since the temple guardians were said to study the deeper mysteries of the force, including the dark side, and thus usually wound up grey jedi.

one of the things Canon dropped thankfully, though given that we have a canon Temple Guardian turned High Inquisitor in Rebels, the idea that the guardians sometimes studied things in the archives that they shouldn't have certainly would seem to apply. though honestly i'm surprised that at how few jedi actually fell to the dark side during the clone wars.. on screen at least. Fighting a war is about as antithetical to the jedi philosophy as you can get. part of the reason why the question of "how does a true jedi fight a war" was such a recurring theme in the later seasons of Rebels i think.

I think there is some confusion here. 

I'm referring to Sentinels in the 3 "class/role" paradigm of the Jedi roles.

As I understand it, Sentinels, were between Guardians (Warriors/LS Duelists) and Consulars (Healers/Diplomats/Superior Force Sensitives)

It came down to how they used (preferred/favored) the force.  Through their Body or through their Mind essentially.

Sentinels favored both paths equally & also favored mundane skills  (Blaster usage, Computers, Lock Picking), and were often attached to the Civilian Government in roles like Law Enforcement or Ship Piloting etc etc. 

I think these roles originally came from a Video Game but have made there way into canon.

Temple Guards could be Sentinels, but not all Sentinels were Temple Guards.

They were still very much Light Side force users.

As for a War.....  Well it helps that the Clone Wars enemy was a heavy droid user.  So that wasn't "killing".

The Jedi philosophy is to kill only as the very very last resort (after many many attempts at subduing w/o a death strike).

Maiming someone w/ a LS to the leg or arm on the other had seems to be a perfectly acceptable response to violence.   :)

There seem to have been quite a few either during the Clone Wars or directly after in both canon & the EU that fell to the DS.

We just don't get a lot of detail about most of them.

The Inquisitors obviously had some.

Dooku & Pong-Krell were a couple.

I recall in I think the W-Wing series or I-Jedi there was a story of 3 Dark Jedi fighting the ancestors of some of the book's Pilots, along w/ possibly Obi-Wan from the description.  In the years just after Order-66 when they were being hunted.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2020, 22:51:51 »
I personally like the setting of Legacy, fresh start, built on thinnest things of the past without the past overwhelming story's future.
Its do as well as it could have.

Legacy gave us a resurgent Empire ruled by the Sith, and the Jedi were all but wiped out (again!).

Disney gave us The First Order (Empire 2.0) which was run by a Sith all along, and the Jedi were all but wiped out.  ;)
I have spoken.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2020, 15:46:40 »
ok hit you tube first 5 hits has more than enough info on grays
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2020, 20:10:04 »
Legacy gave us a resurgent Empire ruled by the Sith, and the Jedi were all but wiped out (again!).

Disney gave us The First Order (Empire 2.0) which was run by a Sith all along, and the Jedi were all but wiped out.  ;)
But it had a logical build up of a post-Empire Empire. where it wasn't Sith based until it was taken over.  Empire was neutral but still aggressive army, but not as bad a original.
Jedi had descent run and still existed in shadows of the new Empire until the Sith Lord came down took over.

Register