Author Topic: Feedback needed for a mercenary unit idea  (Read 1867 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Feedback needed for a mercenary unit idea
« on: 13 May 2018, 16:57:39 »
This is a quick background I am considering for a new unit:

In 3005, the same year a famous mercenary unit was making itself known in the Inner Sphere, three others were being destroyed on an unkown periphery world. Down on thier luck and in desperate need of funds, three units, the Men of Honor, Harmon's Hard Workers and Oscar's Orcas arrived in the system each trailing the pirate band the Scarlet Reapers. Though the bounty for the Reapers woud be enough to put the units on stable financial footing, split three ways would have left each unit still in need. Though the Men of Honor did try to arrange an alliance, seeing as the three units together barely made a battalions worth of mechs and the Reapers were a five companies of mechs and armor, but neither the Orcas nor the Hard Workers were prepared to split the much needed income.

In a month long campaign, both the Hardworkers and the Orcas lost thier dropship assets to bandit ambushes, and the Men of Honor had been reduced to six mechs. Tensions between the mercenaries were rising, finally breaking when a Hard Workers mech fired on a mech from the Orcas command lance while on patrol. As the two units skirmished, the Reapers attacked and a three way struggle began. Moving to the sounds of the guns, the Men of Honor became involved and the fight devolved into a free-for-all.

When all was said and done, the only survivors to return to the waiting jumpships were the crew of the Men of Honor's dropships, there holds loaded with bodies and salvaged.

Captain Manfred Xu, the highest ranking suriving officer of the Men of Honor, used the bounties to pay for the jumpship transport and began looking to sell the salvage to divide among the families of the deceased. Among the families were the wife and son of Lt. John Randolf van der Boer, of the Orcas. A life-long merc, whose family had been in the business since the start of the Succession Wars, van der Boer was well aware of the danger involved in the life of a mercenary. As such he had heavily invested his pay and paid exhorbitant sums for a life insurance policy, which possessed a double indemnity clause for death from friendly fire. When the combat log proved that was the case, the widow and her son found themselves flush with C-Bills from the insurance policy and investments. Purchasing the salvage and using it as collateral, the two began a successful chain of restaruants eventually opening businesses in each of the Successor States.

Five decades later, van der Boer's great grandson graduted from a private military academy. Thinking it was time to return to the original family business, first signing on with an establshed unit, the grandson (still coming up with a name) decided to form his own unit in 3060. In order to get his unit of the ground as quickly as possible he turned his attention to the warehouse of salvage that had served as salvage for so long. Using his families wealth to purchase refit parts for the battered mechs, he was able to get 12 up and running. Hiring mechwarriors in need of a ride, he registered the Battlefield Zombies on 1 January 3062.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Feedback needed for a mercenary unit idea
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2018, 21:18:03 »
What are the mech types? Any ideas of non-mech units?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2018, 03:40:50 »
Mech types would be commonly available mediums and heavies with a few assaults thrown in, mostly lighter-weight assaults. The reborn unit would include a company each of armor and infantry in support of the battlemech company, sort of forming a combined arms battalion.

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2018, 16:30:11 »
To make a truly effective combined arms unit, make sure that your infantry is motorized somehow. APCs, Heli borne, whatever. Just make sure the PBI can keep up with armor and 'Mechs.
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2018, 16:49:21 »
The MUL pulls up the following: Sentinel STN-3L, Crab CRB-27, Trebuchet TBT-3C, Kintaro KTO-19, Champion CHP-1N and -1N2, Lancelot LNC25-01 and -05, Bombardier BMB-12D, Cestus CTS-6Y, Exterminator EXT-4D, Excalibur EXC-B2, Guillotine GLT-3N, Shootist ST-8A, Black Knight BL-6-KNT and -6b-KNT, Flashman FLS-8K, and Marauder MAD-1R, as being possibilities for a salvage stockpile of medium and heavy units, using Standard rules for tech level, available before 3005. That's 18 possibilities, with definite potential for multiples of a design.
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2018, 14:16:44 »
Working with older basic designs with upgrades my suggestion would be: Warhammer WHM-7M, Marauder MAD-5M, Phoenix Hawk PXH-3K,  Griffin GRF-3M, Hunchback HBK-P, Dervish DV-7D, Enforcer ENF-5D, Centurion CN10-B, Charger CGR-3K, Awesome AWS-9M, Jagermech JM7-F, Lancelot LNC25-07. Armor: Bandit x2, Badger x2, Manticore LB-10 x2, Manticore 3058 x2,Alacorn MK III, Tokugawa, Centipede Scout car, Kernoff. Infantry: I. S. Standard BA x4 (two in each Bandit-one squad inside and the other riding outside),Jump Infantry Flamers x2, Foot Infantry Machine Gun, Motorized Infantry SRM x2,  Motorized Infantry LRM x2,  Motorized Infantry Machine Gun x2.  Motorized Infantry  Flamers x2.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right