Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 198724 times)

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
Sooo... What's the source of the Wolves as ilclan / fall of the RotS chatter?

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
There is nothing on the Wolves becoming the IlClan, but there will be an IlClan and the Republic will fall - it seems:

ilClan
The ilClan is a campaign-driven overview of the universe-spanning conflict that will see the fall of The Republic of the Sphere and the final conclusion of the Dark Age era. The founding of the ilClan heralds the start of a new age for the BattleTech universe—one that will forever transform the Inner Sphere and Clans alike!

http://bg.battletech.com/books/upcoming-releases/

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
Ah shoot. So Mad Malvina could still swing it...

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Pretty much. It's a lot of baseless speculation and wishful thinking on the part of the Wolf players; acting as if it was a given or had allready happened or the like.

Right now, it could be anything. With Ben Rome writing and Catalysts habit of surprising outcomes, I'd take nothing for granted
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Well, there was also that canon event at GenCon a few years back that featured the Wolves fighting the Republic in Unity City, during which Alaric and Devlin dueled and Alaric won. However, my recollection is that CGL has since walked it back somewhat and said its canonicity is somewhat hazy.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
I will laugh my arse off if ilClan doesn't result in the "we assured ourselves this would happen two years ago" Wolf victory

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Fletch

• Captain

Fanboi-ism  O:-)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Ah shoot. So Mad Malvina could still swing it...

Eh. The consensus from Clan Sea Fox players is that becoming Ilclan is the worst thing that could happen to you.

So a year or two ago there was a book outline for april fools outlined by Ben Rome where Clan Wolf became Ilclan... and had a bunch of stuff in it that was my worst nightmare.

Also Gencon's description for their battletech event gave up the ghost and said that Devlin Stone and Alaric were going to duke it out for Terra.

Since then we've learned that the Republic Walls have come down.

It is possible and my suspicion is that the Gencon announcement was a gaffe and wasn't supposed to be released so early. Though it could also have been exactly what they wanted. If it was a gaffe then it could have required a re-write on the future story. On the other hand the Lead Product Designer has changed since then. With Herb stepping down. And that is after the 'Future of Battletech' post that threw everybody into a wild panic. (http://bg.battletech.com/news/battleblog/what-the-future-holds/ a quick recap if you would like to panic!!!!!) So it is hard to know if the previous plans are still the future plans.

More fun. (https://benhrome.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/ilclan-and-beyond/) and finally the outline (https://benhrome.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/the-supremacy-rises/)

So what evidence I don't have is the sidebar at Gencon talking about the event. But other than that. You now know everything that we know.

So what is happening in the thread?

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that, unless they changed things, which is incredibly possible, Clan Wolf will invade Terra. If I remember correctly events had already been written so the outcome of the battle at Gencon wasn't supposed to change much. Maybe names. But it has been a long time between then and now.

What do you need to know?

You're a Clan Wolf fan. Who knows how many years that you've liked Clan Wolf. You've got a pretty big emotional investment in seeing them be the big winners. Clan Jade Falcon has been the loyal opposition for years. They've got a pretty big emotional investment in seeing Clan Wolf not be the big winners.

So the important thing is to remember that even though we're all fake enemies here that the other sides got real people too and everyones feelings are equally important. So fake fight on. But don't get to wrapped up in it.

Good luck on Terra. Bring a Savage Wolf.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Good luck on Terra. Bring a Savage Wolf.

But not just any Savage Wolf. The battle at Unity City demands nothing less than one of our new limited-edition Savage Wolves, entirely electroplated in now extremely rare Gibson gold! And the prices of our advanced, high-quality XXL engine have never been lower! There's never been a better time to buy!
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
Amen. I wouldn't want the Falcons to get too badly beat up, or where's the fun!

Now the peace-mongering republicans of the sphere... They need squashing under my savage wolf's electroplated-in-Gibson-gold heel

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
As a Wolf Exiles fan I definitely shouldn't think that but...

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Now the peace-mongering republicans of the sphere... They need squashing under my savage wolf's electroplated-in-Gibson-gold heel

;D

WarGod

• Lieutenant
so how was the trip to terra? by the way I "aquired" one of your warwolfs in my ghostbears cluster.  rather snazzy ride. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
so how was the trip to terra? by the way I "aquired" one of your warwolfs in my ghostbears cluster.  rather snazzy ride.

We don't know yet.. :(

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Eh. The consensus from Clan Sea Fox players is that becoming Ilclan is the worst thing that could happen to you.

As a Sea Fox fan (I still am), I have to say I prefer to think of it as our time-honored strategy of letting other Clans do the brutal work of opening up new markets for trade with our Clan (markets who also thirst for high-ticket war machines that we specialize in).  This is something we have been happily doing since 3050, and I see no change in it. 

As for this ilClan nonsense, I would specify for myself:  Once the hard work is done, it's going to be much easier for the next Clan to attempt to wrest the title of ilClan after a hollow victory on Terra.  The head that wears the crown gets no rest in this game that the Clans are playing.  They have to contend with each other, but also with the Great Houses, who surround them and will be watching.

Slow Rollers often slow-roll their selves, after all.  To bring in another gaming analogy. 

I don't know if the leaders of any of the Clans are smart enough to achieve their own originally stated victory conditions for ilClan and still survive the relentless march of time and the tidal-like cycles of war and peace in the IS. 

But there will be BattleTech, that's for sure.  No matter the outcome.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
Are there any Wolves in here or is this a kick the Wolves page.Its fun listening to the comments though  [watch]

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield

SteveRestless

• Major

The Case for ilClan Wolf.

(1) Position - Clan Wolf's new empire is aimed right at the heart of the republic.  They're closer, and their troops are positioned for combat against that foe. The falcons are almost as close, but not quite.

(2) Probability - The Wolves are in one of the better states to conquer in such a fashion. The Falcons lost the Horses, and now have to contend with them on one front, the Lyrans on another, and if they misstep they might have to worry about the bears as well. The horses are too far away, and too bloodied from their unfortunate alliance with the Falcons. I expect their focus is on rebuilding and capitalizing on their gains within the former Wolf OZ. The Sea Foxes aren't poised to take it, and they're happy doing what they're doing already, selling guns to anybody who wants em. The Bears are already cozied up with the FRR, and I expect we'd see them bulking up if they intended to do more than homestead with their FRR buddies. The Exile Wolves seem to be occupied with the task of "not dying to the falcons" and the Nova Cats seem to be busy "being dead at the hands of the dragon." The Spirit Cats who survive are in a similar position as the Exile Wolves, surviving rather than dominating. Clan Wolf, meanwhile has quite a bit of conquest momentum, the potential means to invade earth once the fortress is solved, and the desire to.

(3) Meta Knowlege: 2013's Gencon Battle was CWF v.s. ROTS on Terra Itsself with a side-battle between Alaric's own forces and Stone's own. - The Wolves Won. No guaranteee of a wolf /victory/ on terra but a pretty good sign that there will be a wolf/republic fight on the soil of humanity's homeworld. Ultimately these battles are not binding in any fashion, but that such a battle ever occurred in the first place seems indicative of TPTB's Likely direction. Further evidence in favor is that 2014's Gencon Diorama showed Clan Wolf taking Unity City. Again, not a guarantee, but I've never heard of them comissioning a diorama for an event that didn't/won't happen.

(4) Meta Knowlege: the "Free Taiw... St Ives" April Fools Day PDF - AFD PDFs have foreshadowed things before. the Project Omega AFD PDF showed us a Superheavy mech (which we eventually got in the form of the omega), foreshadowed Marthe Pryde's death, and if one believes the potential WoB/Wolverine correlation, it hints at that as well.  So, we have here a PDF that shows us a future ruled by a Third Star League, ruled by "Clan Wolfhound."  The whole document seems to possibly hint at a Wolf-Led Third Star League.

(5) Winson - There is a mystery around Jennifer Winson's true identity.  There is a fair degree of likelyhood as hinted at in some of the historical documents we've seen lately that she is a Cameron, or a Cameron-Amaris. The wolves retain her legacy. This would be the means to reboot the ruling line via the breeding program. This is something only the Wolves, Wolves in Exile and Coyotes would be fully in the know and capable of.

(6) Meta-Historical - The Republic has a Roman thing going. Alaric's Historical Namesake sacked Rome.

(7) Mobile Assets - Clan Wolf recently relocated their best manufacturing capacity, and their best scientific and engineering personnel and its possible they could uproot those mobile factories and relocate them to Terra.

(8) I don't have it handy, but in one of the star league era sourcebooks, someone, I believe a cameron had a quote about "dark days when wolves stalk terra" which I think is intended as forshadowing.

I will laugh my arse off if ilClan doesn't result in the "we assured ourselves this would happen two years ago" Wolf victory

and I promise that if you don't stop clogging up the wolf thread with this sort of thing, that when the wolves DO take terra, you will never hear the end of it. We get it. You don't think it's likely. That's swell, but some of us do think it is and we'd like to discuss it without you butting in. Please stop.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
I figured that I'd never hear the end of it anyway, especially given that you've been endlessly braying about it for two years now as if it had allready happened.

But here's the thing. My posting suggestions that the Wolves could be defeated or that Alaric could be squished by a Giant Konkerdong or whatever else are just as legitimate and just as valid content for this thread as anything else. I have just as much rigt to post in this thread and voice my opinions in this thread as anyone else.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Tukayyid 2.0. Fight for earth on earth. Stone versus Alaric.
Sea Fox Clarke versus computer replica of Lear.
Malvina versus Tucker Harwell. Cage Match!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
If you're here to taunt the Wolf fans, get out of the thread please. Discussion is one thing, trolling is another. We're not quite over that line yet, but let's not get there.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Seriously, though; my intent has never been to deliberately troll or harass. I am just here to discuss and and offer alternative opinions or viewpoints. I have never attacked anyone else, and I have never intended to taunt or provoke a response.

My only aim here is to discuss and have fun.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
But here's the thing. My posting suggestions that the Wolves could be defeated or that Alaric could be squished by a Giant Konkerdong or whatever else are just as legitimate and just as valid content for this thread as anything else. I have just as much right to post in this thread and voice my opinions in this thread as anyone else.

Isn't that kind of the ultimate concession, though? You're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally against the rules to express it.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
I get it. If I was a falcon fan and the opposition was going to Win I'd be around to tell them that at least it hasn't happened yet.

But maybe that's a discussion for a "Clan Wolf Ilclan' thread. They definitely don't need their thunder stolen in their own thread. I'm sure the Falcons will be crowing about whatever happened to the exiles soon and you don't want wolf fans coming to the falcon thread to tell you to stop.

Also, Hellbie's warning totally dropped after one of the funniest things I've said on these forums in awhile. Talk about stealing thunder.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Hmm. In that outline Arc Royal also falls. Clan Wolf in Exile relocates to Mellisia...

Hmmm...... (But to the Hell's Horses)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
It would be difficult for them to relocate to Melissia these days, given that it's in the Falcon OZ.

- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
It would be difficult for them to relocate to Melissia these days, given that it's in the Falcon OZ.

The Exiles realised a bit too late that their plan did have one key flaw.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
I just wanted to say, as someone who doesn't really have a dog in this fight (pun most definitely intended), I think that is indeed worth discussing the possible non-ilClan plot directions the Wolf Empire could take. While as a neutral observer I think the Wolves ending up ilClan is highly likely (mostly for the reasons Steve previously outlined), I don't think it is by any means guaranteed, and alternative outcomes should be explored and discussed. That being said, making constant cracks about Alaric getting squished does absolutely nothing to move us closer to that conversation.

- Klarg1

SteveRestless

• Major
I've still yet to have a satisfying discussion on how the wolves might achieve ilClanship that hasn't morphed into whether or not it WILL happen, and I'd still love to chat about that sometime, but yeah, I'm amenable to discussing other directions it could go.

From a meta-perspective, it'd be kindof dull if they just sat idle. They'd have traded an occupation zone surrounded on all sides and beset by asymmetric attack by foes, for a larger empire, surrounded on all sides and beset by asymmetric aggressions by some of the same foes and a few new ones. Just holding the line against the republic and the others means that for all they've moved locations, they'll just be treading water and have essentially done nothing, despite moving.

Probably won't be to move to against the Clan Protectorate, not with the sea foxes captaining that. Might growl back in that direction, if the raids we've been hearing up get too frequent, but I don't think they're going to move to absorb or annhilate it. And they just ended aggressions with the FWL.

If they don't head for Terra, I guess the most likely outcome is moving on the Falcons. Malvina is too large a threat to be ignored if their attention isn't on the center of the sphere.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
I know the popular belief is that Alaric's claim to the Archonship of the Lyran Commonwealth is purely a political ploy, but given that the Commonwealth seems to be teetering on the edge of the abyss, perhaps the Wolves will complete the defenestration of House Steiner and Alaric will plant his furry butt on the throne for good.

- Klarg1

Register