Author Topic: (Not another) 'Mech of the Week: CRS-XX Crossbow  (Read 7202 times)

Mattiator

• Recruit
(Not another) 'Mech of the Week: CRS-XX Crossbow
« on: 22 August 2015, 16:45:55 »

Crossbow
60-ton Lyran BattleMech
Technical Readout 3075, p.278-279

First debuting in the Age of War section of TRO 3075, the Crossbow caught my eye when I first leafed through the book. With a menacing stance, smoking missile barrels and a silhouette that screams “Don't make me mess you up”, the Crossbow makes a strong impression: This is one good looking machine. The fluff, as well, appealed to me. A fast heavy design, with an emphasis on mid-to-long range firepower? Sign me up! The Crossbow, however, turned out to be a reminder of that classic adage: Don't judge a book by its cover.

Introduced in the Age of War era by the Lyran Commonwealth, the sixty ton Crossbow was the third homegrown design from this nation, following the Ymir and Commando. Arcturan Arms, a tank manufacturer, looked eagerly upon the military spending lavished upon companies like the Coventry Defense Conglomerate, wanting a slice of the pie for itself. The Crossbow was their proposal for a “medium” design, at least when compared to the Mackie and Ymir (or perhaps this is an early indication of soon-to-be traditional Steiner heavy bias). As a fast cavalry 'Mech, it would be able to support its allies with missile fire from range as it closed, and then join the brawl with energy weapons of its own. How successful was it at its given role? Let's take a look.

CRS-X
Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Vol. 2, p.6
Representative of the six early prototypes for the Crossbow project, the CRS-X model mounts a quartet of LRM-5 launchers, two Medium Lasers, and a Large Laser. 123 points of primitive armor, a primitive cockpit, and a 290 primitive engine round out these early models. Mounting the smaller lasers and missile launchers in the arms gives all the Crossbow models great arcs of fire, but putting the ammunition there as well can leave it vulnerable to ammo explosions from lucky hits against the less-armored arms.

When looking at a primitive design such as this, you need to keep in mind what it would have been fighting against. While 4/6 is average for a modern heavy design, for the Age of War, it is strikingly fast. Indeed, the only 'Mechs of the day that would be able to outrun a Crossbow are the Wasp and Commando, both nearly a third of the CRS-X's weight. The closest competitors of the time would be the Terran Hegemony’s 60-ton primitive Griffin and 55-ton Shadow Hawk, both of which share the same speed and are aimed at a similar role. Against the Griffin, the Crossbow mounts less armor and no jump capability, but has greater potential firepower. Against the Shadow Hawk, the Crossbow again loses on armor and jump capability but wins on firepower, but in this case the Shadow Hawk can keep on plunking away with its AC/5 and Medium Laser while the Crossbow will soon find itself with a crippling heat burden should it utilize the Large Laser in conjunction with the Mediums. Really, the majority of the problems present on the CRS-X stem from the inclusion of the Large Laser. Due to the standard allotment of ten heat sinks, there are very few situations where the Large Laser can be fired without generating heat, and it cannot effectively be used in conjunction with the 'Mech's other weapons. Overall, for the time it was conceived, the CRS-X isn't a terrible design, but it isn't the best. The only real competition the design faces is the primitive Kyudo. The CRS-X wins in terms of volley size, armor, and close-up protection, but the Kyudo has an easier-to-manage heat curve, and can contribute its Large Laser to back up its LRM barrage more effectively than the CRS-X. Two years after the CRS-X was introduced, the primitive Ostwar was released and effectively eclipses the CRS-X in every respect barring speed.

The CRS-X was rejected for several reasons (as the Design Quirks show, it wasn't exactly effective as a long range fighter, which would force it to close against much heavier designs that could turn it to scrap), but Arcturan Arms continued to tweak the design, and with more modern components, they were sure to take the problems of the CRS-X into account when they developed their successor. Right?

CRS-6B
Technical Readout: 3075, p.278-279
Five years after the CRS-X was developed, Arcturan Arms aimed to perfect the concept with the CRS-6B, boasting modern components and upgraded weapons.

They missed.

Let's get the positives out of the way. The CRS-6B is FAST, especially for an Age of War design of this weight. Clocking in at 5/8 it can keep up with the current Commando and Wasp on the ground. Indeed, for six whole years the Crossbow is one of the fastest BattleMech available, prior to the introduction of the Stinger. In order to do this, however, they skimped on pretty much everything else. The thin armor of the prototypes is virtually unchanged, with a mere five points of armor added during the shift from primitive to standard armor. No heat sinks were added, so the 'Mech still runs hot when leaning on its energy weapons, especially given that they made the boneheaded decision to slap a PPC in a 'Mech with only ten single heat sinks. I don't know if there was some sort of back-door, greased-palm deal going on here, but installing a weapon system that will cause heat buildup if the user moves on a design that already should never be standing still was a horrible idea. What is the point of a PPC for long-ranged firepower when you can't even use it in conjunction with the main long-ranged weapons on a design? The fluff argues it could be used as an alternative long ranged weapon once the LRMs run out of ammunition, but saddling a 'Mech with a 7-ton dead weight for at least twelve turns (assuming the thin-skinned Crossbow even lasts that long) seems like a waste of space, and without the heatsinks to move and fire, attempting to lean on it for long isn't a good idea. The only real function I've found for the PPC is for attacking enemies in the narrow band between the minimum range of the LRM launchers and the short range of the Medium Lasers. This choice also reduces the CRS-6B's close-quarters defense, but given that the Large Laser of the CRS-X was already nearly unusable in conjunction with the lasers it isn't that much of a loss. Two Mediums and a sixty-ton kick is enough to disuade most enemies that can close under the PPC's minimum range. The other issue the CRS-6B faces is that better LRM toting designs are introduced at or around the same time. The early Ostwar for instance, while significantly slower, has better armor, more ammunition (eighteen rounds of twenty missiles, compared to the CRS-6B's twelve), and none of the heat troubles (assuming you aren't alpha striking every turn). A mere year later the Archer was introduced, and while it still can't match the Crossbow's speed it has double the ranged firepower and a more potent strike up close. In the end, the CRS-6B seems to be an idea that desperately needed Star League technology to work properly. With standard tech, there just isn't enough tonnage to make this concept work without the severe trade-offs seen in the CRS-6B. Still, the Lyran Commonwealth put the design into production.

Arcturan Arms would introduce one more Crossbow variant eight years after the last model. This one drastically changes the Crossbow's role from a skirmisher to a brawler. Would this radical design change finally give the Inner Sphere a Crossbow worth using?

CRS-6C
Record Sheets: TRO 3075 Unabridged – Age of War, p.196
Short Answer: Not really.
Long Answer: Removing the LRM-10s and one of the Medium Lasers of the -6C, the CRS-6C straps an AC/10 to the right arm. Couple this cool-running autocannon with the PPC from the CRS-6B and a medium laser for some up-close work, and it sounds like you have a winner, right? While the CRS-6C is an improvement over the CRS-6B in some respects, it still suffers from mediocre armor and a punishing heat curve. Once again, the PPC is a major detriment to the CRS-6C, as it simply can't be fired while moving unless you want to generate heat. Coupling the PPC and AC/10 for a twenty-damage smash will generate at minimum three heat, so staggering your fire is a necessity if you want to keep your targetting numbers low. However, a single ton of ammunition for the Autocannon means you're going to have to ration those low-heat shots carefully, since once you're out it's either back to base or ride that PPC for dear life. The switch to the shorter range autocannon forces you to stay in closer proximity than is healthy for a heavy with less armor than most mediums of its time. If you need a 'Mech to fill this role though, there really isn't much choice this early in the timeframe. Besides the testbed Gladiator GLD-2R, the CRS-6C is basically the only 5/8 striker available until the Capellans introduce the Koschei twenty three years later.

So that's the Crossbow. An idea that was ahead of its time, forced to make too many tradeoffs to work with existing technology. After dealing with constant labor disputes and other problems with the production line, Arcturan Arms was bought out by MacEnroe Motors, who would end production of the design in 2550, after a mere 337 of the design were constructed. It can be inferred that the design didn't survive long past the Reunification War. That would be the last the Inner Sphere would hear of the Crossbow for over five hundred years. (Yeah there is the Clan Crossbow, but it's not even a direct descendant and it deserves a separate article from a guy who actually plays Clan.)

However, in the midst of the Jihad, a refit facility built upon the old Arcturan Arms facilities began cranking out a new Crossbow variant in 3071. Boasting some of the best technology available at the time, will the CRS-9A be the Crossbow that vindicates the design?

CRS-9A
Record Sheets: TRO 3075 Unabridged – Age of War, p.197
Taking a similar layout to the CRS-6B while tailored more towards the role of the CRS-6C, the CRS-9A takes the best aspects of the previous models and finally fixes the flaws that plagued the line, presenting the first truly good Crossbow. The major upgrades are double heat sinks and Ferro-Fibrous armor, giving the CRS-9A solid if unexceptional heat dissipation and nearly maximum armor. Coupled with the classic standard engine that gave the old Crossbow its swift 5/8 movement, the revamped CRS-9A is a tough customer. In terms of weapons, the CRS-9A doesn't deviate too much from the layout set by the CRS-X and CRS-6B, boasting a pair of ER Medium Lasers in the arms and an ER Large Laser in the right torso for long range punch. Dropping the LRM launchers of the CRS-6B for Streak SRM-6 launchers gives the CRS-9A a hefty punch when it closes with the enemy, and it finally has the armor to stay there. Bracket firing will be necessary to get all that you can out of this design. Open at range with the ER Large Laser, add in the ER Mediums as you close, then drop the ER Large and open up with the crit-seeking Streaks once you get in close. The CRS-9A isn't flawless, mind you. The ammunition in the arms remains a vulnerability, seeing as the design lacks CASE. Just like its forbearers, the CRS-9A has a heat curve that demands fire discipline to manage, and even a single unlucky engine critical mucks with the firing brackets severely. These complaints are minor, and the CRS-9A is head and shoulders above the rest of the model line. If you're looking for a fast, tough heavy with a solid punch (or kick), this is one 'Mech to consider.

All things considered, the Crossbow generally isn't the kind of 'Mech you're bringing when you're in to win (besides the -9A). Like the Jackrabbit, this is the kind of design you bring for its quirky charm, and perhaps as something your opponent would never expect. If you take the time to master the eccentricities of the Crossbow, you'll find it to be a dangerous addition to your games, while still having endearing flaws and imperfections that give a machine character.

P.S. If you're fighting a player with a penchant for Crossbows, bring heat-generating weapons. None of them, bar the -6C perhaps, can handle much additional heat.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: (Not another) 'Mech of the Week: CRS-XX Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2015, 20:04:05 »
Good article.
Never encountered nor played a crossbow, and while I have heard the name once or twice, I couldn't actually place it.
The more you know.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2015, 20:23:12 »
Interestingly enough, I've only ever seen the original Primitive CRS-X in action.

It really isn't as bad as it seems; the ammo it carries is well protected compared to many other designs of the era and the LRM/Large Laser combo is one that improves exponentially as you add more Crossbows. The Large Lasers holepunch well against most of the lightly-armored designs of the era, with a quick switch to massed LRMs acting as a handy ranged critseeking tool. It's a useful ranged fighter to have, and one that I've found to be quite useful in those 25th century games.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2015, 21:12:03 »
it seems likely the Clan's Crossbow Omnimech was based on data about this mech. it even has some similarity visually.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2015, 21:40:11 »
I've encountered the Crossbow a grand total of once on the battlefield.  As it made the mistake of stopping 4 hexes away from my Fafnir after generating a mere +1 TMM, it didn't live terribly long.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2015, 22:15:40 »
Like how did your article, Mattiator.  You break down the subject down well, keep it organization and how you highlight what going on with design with good and bad.  While giving definitive answer on how you review the variant. 

I like Crossbow, though it's tricky it use.  I looks to be different dare i say fun design play with.

I look forward to reading your next article.  This was great stuff.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2015, 23:42:28 »
Nicely written

I have one in my mini collection, but have used it precisely once, in a Jihad era game, and it was the 9A...
It did very well, for what I needed, and survived the whole battle.

I have been toying around with the various older variants, and am probably going to put on on a table, soon.....

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Mattiator

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2015, 01:05:42 »
Interestingly enough, I've only ever seen the original Primitive CRS-X in action.

It really isn't as bad as it seems; the ammo it carries is well protected compared to many other designs of the era and the LRM/Large Laser combo is one that improves exponentially as you add more Crossbows. The Large Lasers holepunch well against most of the lightly-armored designs of the era, with a quick switch to massed LRMs acting as a handy ranged critseeking tool. It's a useful ranged fighter to have, and one that I've found to be quite useful in those 25th century games.

The CRS-X is pretty solid for when it came out and what it would have feasibly fought against. Personally I tend to prefer the Kyudo for a fast LRM/Laser combo, but you'd need fewer Crossbows to get the same volley size. Taking years into account the CRS-X is honestly better than the CRS-6B, simply because it isn't competing with stuff like the Archer.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2015, 01:09:20 »
It's possible that the Crossbow served as a precursor to a much more successful design, the Dervish.

Coventry Defense Conglomerate were rivals to Arcturan Arms, albeit much more successful, and 30 years after the Crossbow was cancelled CDC introduced to the market a medium 'Mech moving at up to 64kph with the main weapon being 20 LRM tubes. Five tons lighter, removing the massive energy weapon that caused so much overheating. It seems likely the Dervish was the successful fast (for the time) fire support platform that the LCAF had thought they'd gotten with the Crossbow. The longevity of the Dervish suggests that AA were onto something in concept and only failed in execution. Having had more time in the 'Mech production business CDC were more successful.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2015, 04:00:45 »
I think the people are a bit hard on the heat curves for this thing. Considering it was originally produced in the early early days of the BattleMech, I'm not surprised that they didn't quite have all the curves down. And really. The heat curves on these things aren't exceptionally bad. Firing the Large Laser or PPC every other turn (or 1 in 3) is going to keep you running hot, but not so hot that the design is rendered combat ineffective, though naturally infernos will suck.

The Crossbow really reminds me of a mini-Shogun.  Enough that I wonder if someone tried to fix the Crossbow's problems by making the Shogun (with the Jump Jets a nod to the Crossbow's above average speed).

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2015, 11:59:01 »
The CRS-6C seems almost like a lesser version of the Enforcer. The combo of big bore autocannon and big energy weapon is familiar, and the heat problems aren't that far off the ER Large variant.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2015, 11:12:09 »
If just the -6B had kept the armament of the -X... 4 more tons of armor and heat sinks, with 2 less heat to sink!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 24 August 2015, 18:56:58 »
You know, for that -6C I would rather have seen MMLs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2015, 19:12:24 »
I was extremely surprised that the 9A didn't have MMLs.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2015, 19:30:00 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2015, 19:23:50 »
Maybe they weren't invented yet.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2015, 19:26:32 »
Sorry, I did not mean -6C, I meant the -9A.

Also, I know you claim the two Crossbows are not related . . . but I really think that is a questionable statement.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2015, 19:32:12 »
Yeah, it looks too similar to be unrelated.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2015, 20:52:48 »
Looks, profile, missile arms . . . and I thought it had been mentioned a fluff bit out there tied them together.

I actually think there is a place in the LCAF for a 5/8 LRM mech since they have dedicated missile mechs for slower formations but do they have anything for faster?
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2015, 21:27:57 »
Homegrown?  There's the Cobra.  Drawing a blank on anything heavier, though.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2015, 22:34:40 »
Yeah, remember the Cobra but IIRC it has a few glaring weaknesses- no replacement for the Apollo as it was touted.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2015, 22:48:08 »
Actually, now that I think of it, there's a Salamander variant that's a 5/8.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 25 August 2015, 00:40:45 »
It exists, not sure how common . . . used to have some sitting with my 1FCACR when it was the FedCom.  But as a single assault on a field with Bushwhackers, Barghests, Nightskys and Guantlets it might draw more attention than you want.
Colt Ward

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2015, 23:43:21 »
Yeah, remember the Cobra but IIRC it has a few glaring weaknesses- no replacement for the Apollo as it was touted.
Technically, it isn't a replacement for the Apollo, it was because the Lyrans couldn't buy Apollos, and they needed one different enough to avoid licensing issues ---- that said, I prefer the Apollo, but I can always get a Cobra to work fine, for me.... just have to resist the urge to paint it dark blue with a silver face.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Register