Author Topic: Mercenary uniforms  (Read 4014 times)

Mech Salvager

• Private
Mercenary uniforms
« on: 20 December 2018, 17:15:48 »
So, how do uniforms work for mercenary units? I know that large mercenary teams like Wolf’s Dragoons, Eridani Light Horse, Kell Hounds and so on have their own uniforms, but do smaller outfits have their own…well…outfits?

If smaller teams have their own uniforms and rank insignias like Wolf’s Dragoons have, wouldn’t it get mildly confusing? Uniforms are made to be recognizable after all, and if one works with more than one mercenary team at once that might lead to some faux pas situations.

What other options are there? Modified versions of the uniforms of the local armed forces or your employer?

I’d love to hear some ideas for this. 

Frabby

• Major
Re: Mercenary uniforms
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2018, 17:26:38 »
Several merc units positively don't have uniforms, and/or allow their members to wear pieces of different uniforms. A unit patch may be the nearest thing for most. Just look at the images of Wilson's Hussars in the original Mercenary's Handbook.

In the case of the Red Hell merc unit briefly mentioned in the novel Star Lord, they refused to use uniforms on principle, which led to a falling-out with their employer (Stefan Amaris VII, who shot CO Parker Don Hua on the spot for refusing).

The Vost Lance, from Far Country, not only didn't have uniforms but didn't even use or adopt ranks.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2018, 19:21:24 »
I would not believe that one size fits all. Each mercenary command is unique and would have unique interpretation of a uniform.

As Frabby stated, some have canonically been shown to wear "mufti" uniforms with the unit logo/insignia/patch (Wilson Hussars, Gray Death Legion during the early days), others have a very strong uniform policy/code (Wolf Dragoons except for the Black Widows, Kell Hounds, Eridani Light Horse). This is no different to any real life private military companies or civilian employers (see MacDonalds vs Costco).

The uniform itself would probably be what is commercially available - same as going down to your local military disposal store or corporate uniform store and ordering a set of uniforms that you decide that you want to make your standard uniform, this could go from your basic black or khakis through to an expensive custom made uniform style using the latest crye multicam.

The ranks structure your mercenary unit adopts would probably depend on the unit command's origins.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2018, 19:43:06 »
Also, big difference between field uniforms and dress, duty, etc.
Most mercs aren’t going to have dress or even duty uniforms - these units, form and vanish or go broke too often.
Also, it’s another expense when you’re barely keeping yourself eating, Mechs repaired.
Plus, most mercs went mercs because they didn’t want the spit and polish an arsechewing NCOs of the regular army.

Field uniforms though - I imagine a lot of units go into their Outreach or Galatea surplus store and order bulk shipments of old green or camo suits for field operations, purely so you can determine who is a friendly when the shooting starts.
You don’t want Lt Dan to wander into the LZ in his old FWL kit when you’re fighting Mariks... he’s going to become a victim fast.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2018, 19:56:23 »
If a mercenary is ex-House military, wouldn't he/she most likely wear that uniform until it wore out?

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2018, 19:59:46 »
You don’t want Lt Dan to wander into the LZ in his old FWL kit when you’re fighting Mariks... he’s going to become a victim fast.

Depends on how much you like and respect Lt Dan . . . trots up to Lt Dan in the AO, throws him a salute, "Sir, snipers in the area, sir!", then trots away  >:D
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2018, 20:20:04 »
Personally, I think surplus Lyran armor jackets are the way to go.  Cheapest divisor 2 armor in the book.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2018, 21:40:39 »
If a mercenary is ex-House military, wouldn't he/she most likely wear that uniform until it wore out?

Yes, its mentioned in one of the books that many mercs where their old house uniforms.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2018, 22:50:58 »
 I think it will also depend on the age of the unit - units that have been around for a while (i.e. successful units) would be more likely to have a distinct `uniform' even this is only buying everyone the same type of surplus clothing. Also it may impress some prospective employers.
 Secondly, size matters. When you are company sized or les everyone in the unit is going to know everyone else and what they're supposed to be or allowed to be doing. Once you are larger you may not know that astech working in the bay but he's in the right uniform & has a patch that says he's attached to the 3rd company so it's probably okay.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2018, 00:13:58 »
Yes, its mentioned in one of the books that many mercs where their old house uniforms.

Avanti’s Angels is a good example of this. Double Blind has a Scene where the company gathers for a memorial service for a fallen member.
About half turn up in their old AFFS dress uniforms, the Drac wears a white kimono and the CO just rocks jeans and a t-shirt

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2018, 00:37:10 »
Yeah, it probably depends on the unit. It is noted in one of the mercenary books that very few units have actual dress uniforms, but uniforms in general and combat uniforms in particular are probably a bit more common... though I suspect it would boil down to fatigues and other similar low-end uniforms in an agreed upon pattern, likely ordered in bulk.

IIRC the common standard for dress uniforms for most merc units is either slightly modified prior service dress uniforms or civilian formalwear. [AKA: Suit and Tie]
« Last Edit: 21 December 2018, 00:39:40 by VhenRa »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2018, 02:01:13 »
Some of this is going to depend on who has to buy it . . .

Part of the reason you have inspections of field uniforms & kits, dress uniforms and equipment inventories is to see that you managed to keep up with all your issued gear.  If not, what is missing comes out of your pocket.

Hard to imagine most smaller units fronting the cost of individually sized uniforms BUT field gear?  where its not as open on sizes?  Yeah, I can see that (here is your helmet, here is your web gear, your camelback, stow that Federated Boeing rifle we use Mauser here rook, etc) being issued by a command to vehicle and infantry- same as they are issuing a mechwarrior a cooling vest.  For infantry & vehicle crews I could see a very simple field uniform being issued (You can go to Suzies in Galaport to get the seamstress to put your patches on it and tailor it down for you) to keep everyone looking the same out where the bullets fly.  In garrison?  Either clean field uniforms, maybe old uniforms, or civies . . . Look at the difference between Peregrine's Hussars and Sorenson's Strikers for some of the attitudes mercs have about uniforms.

Honestly, uniforms are going to depend on the culture the merc command team is trying to foster- or has to tolerate, which is the symptom of other problems.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2018, 02:17:34 »
If they're a unit like the kell hounds they've got some real dorky outfits with capes. The majority of them? Whatever their dudes are wearing. Probably military surplus stuff.

Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2018, 02:37:07 »
Yup. Varies a lot.
In Canon there are several changes in uniforms and field equipment by the great houses that I am sure would have been used by both mercenary commands and some of the smaller periphery powers to equip their troops cheaply and effectively with surplus material.

In the GDL first trilogy there is frequent mention of there being a quasi-official uniform, but nobody cares if you do not use it, specially the mech jocks that most of the time wear uniforms of their older units of origin.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2018, 05:02:33 »
In one of the Mercenary books it mentions uniforms and that even units that don't adopt one, the Officers will at least get something for meeting employers. So that they look some what professional.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #15 on: 21 December 2018, 05:38:46 »
I would imagine that everyone gets fatigues with the unit crest and perhaps rank (if such exists). Combat troops would get whatever is given to them appropriate to their branch - ie body armour, appropriate clothing and equipment and weapons for infantry, cooling vests and sidearms for mechwarriors etc. 
Commanders probaby have some kind of dress uniform for meeting and greeing employers, high up dignitaries whilst on deployment... wouldnt want to piss off the local duke if you rolled up in shorts and a tshirt at a gala dinner to show off his new mercenaries unless thats what you *want* to do.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2018, 12:29:44 »
One thing I don't think's been mentioned is that, IIRC, under the RL laws and customs of war, you (usually) HAVE to have a uniform of some sort (or at least some clear and distinct distinctive identifying feature) to be considered a lawful combatant and therefore protected by the Hague and Geneva conventions.

Also, for the example of the ex-FWL merc fighting House Marik in his old kit, that would, again IIRC, open him up IRL to different war crime charges (such as perfidy -- you can't dress up in the enemy's uniform and start firing on them... Apparently you CAN dress up as the enemy for purposes of escape, evasion or infiltration, but you have to at the very least shed the disguise before actually getting into combat) as well as possibly being shot on capture as a spy.

I can't help but think that there has to be some heretofore unmentioned codicil to the Ares Conventions that says the same, which would mean that it would make it a very wise decision for any and all Merc units except the poorest (like Wilson's Wimps) or the most foolhardy/lucky/provided with author's plot armor (like the Black Widows) to have a distinctive uniform that can't be easily mistaken for (insert opponent of the week)'s uniform and identifies them clearly as combatants.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2018, 12:33:45 by Pat Payne »

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2018, 12:32:58 »
Hit "quote" instead of modify...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2018, 14:35:49 »
Just had my Law of War training today... the principle of distinction is much easier if a uniform is involved, but doesn't necessarily require it.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2018, 14:50:49 »
Just had my Law of War training today... the principle of distinction is much easier if a uniform is involved, but doesn't necessarily require it.

Thanks for the clarification!

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 21 December 2018, 20:20:01 »
I would imagine that everyone gets fatigues with the unit crest and perhaps rank (if such exists). Combat troops would get whatever is given to them appropriate to their branch - ie body armour, appropriate clothing and equipment and weapons for infantry, cooling vests and sidearms for mechwarriors etc. 
Commanders probaby have some kind of dress uniform for meeting and greeing employers, high up dignitaries whilst on deployment... wouldnt want to piss off the local duke if you rolled up in shorts and a tshirt at a gala dinner to show off his new mercenaries unless thats what you *want* to do.

Pretty much this I think.

Didn't the merc manuals talk about ranks though going back to the OP? There's likely some sort of universal agreed symbol that indicates rank. Or the merc just adapts whatever their employer uses.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 21 December 2018, 20:20:56 »
It's Appendix A of the Ares Conventions.

One thing mind you to remember though with the Geneva/Hague. From memory, your entire force could be in civilian clothing apart from a pre-designated colored armbands and that would from some interpretations actually qualify.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #22 on: 22 December 2018, 00:15:24 »
I would imagine in the smaller units, they could at least afford uniform patches for all members. That would identify everyone, even if the uniforms didn't match.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 22 December 2018, 00:31:30 »
I'm sure that every world with a significant Merc Hiring Hall also has an entire city's worth of vendors and subcontractors that cater to all aspects of the mercenary trade.  Absolutely there should be an availability of uniforms in a variety of styles in such places... if the merc company in question bothers with the expense of having matching digs.  Hiring Halls like Galatea's and Outreach's probably even have outfitters that'll make custom/tailored uniforms rather than only selling off the rack.

Even beyond the 2nd/3rd order industries revolving around a Hiring Hall, there's the FASAnomics aspect.  Surely House Army units stationed across their respective empires don't rely 100% on offworld resupply from some central logistics hub.  Anyplace that has a military garrison long enough will inevitably have native supporting industries sprout up.  House Army mechwarriors should be able to source a local manufacturer for something as simple as a uniform from any planet important enough to host a mech garrison; mercs shouldn't have much more trouble either.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 00:37:24 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #24 on: 22 December 2018, 00:39:18 »
It may not be a matter of supply, almost any planet could provide uniforms. It's more a matter of what the unit can afford. Uniforms may be lower on the supply needs than ammo, fuel and food.

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2018, 04:19:04 »
I’m really happy to see all these answers, and it seems mercenaries are indeed as varied a bunch as one would expect. I mostly asked to see if I had done things right for my roleplay group, who have gone from no uniforms and no rank structure, to loose uniforms and a solid rank structure as they grew from a lance to a whole battalion over a number of years.

Judging from some loose calculations…it would likely take about 30.000 C-bills to outfit 100 people with uniforms according to the Companion to Mechwarrior 2nd Edition, including dress uniforms. This is the cost of a single ton of LRM ammo…so if the mercenaries can’t afford uniforms, they really are close to broke.

As for universal rank insignias…perhaps the system of the SLDF is a fairly safe bet for being recognized by all parties? Unless that is lost knowledge, of course.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2018, 05:32:16 »
It's Appendix A of the Ares Conventions.

One thing mind you to remember though with the Geneva/Hague. From memory, your entire force could be in civilian clothing apart from a pre-designated colored armbands and that would from some interpretations actually qualify.

Technically, they don't even need arm bands:

Levée en masse
The term applied to the inhabitants of a territory which has not been occupied, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading troops without having had time to organize themselves into regular armed forces. They must be regarded as combatants if they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs of armed conflict.
If captured they have a right to be treated as prisoners of war. The levée en masse should not be confused with resistance movements.

El Kabong

• Private
« Reply #27 on: 27 December 2018, 23:57:23 »
In my headcanon it purely depends on the unit.

I organize a dozen guys, we're all bro's... we'll all wear these colors.

I organize a hundred people, with very specific sets of skills, to work for me in the long term? 
Uniforms feel like an options.

Milage varies when you live in a universe of Trillions yo.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #28 on: 28 December 2018, 11:10:12 »
As said, identification becomes an issue once you grow beyond the point where everyone knows everyone else in the unit.  Whether that takes a custom uniform or merely an identifying band or patch again depends on scale, finances, and expectations.  If you're out in the field getting shot at, it's probably a good idea to be able to identify other members on sight, so a common color (different from the enemy's) or general style makes sense, and a reasonably professional looking unit badge, patch, or band prevents claims of "spying" out of uniform.  If you're on parade, hired to keep the population from getting funny ideas about doing a better job of running the planet than whoever is paying you, then you want to look professional (your employer may even expect it), and that requires uniforms, at least for the more visible elements of your group.  Whether that extends to support personnel or not is more likely to be an internal matter.

While "proper" military camos plus parade dress uniforms can easily add up to the listed 300 C-Bills or more per person, having matching "military-looking" shirts or jackets and the same color pants is more likely to be in the 100 range.  An identification band or patch, ideally worn on a shirt or jacket of more-or-less the unit's chosen color picked up at local stores, is dirt cheap.  If you can't even afford that, then your unit is probably running out of food as well as ammo, and it's time to consider looking for another line of work that pays the bills.  Of course, your group may have consciously decided NOT to wear uniforms, and the absence of uniforms of any sort in a situation where everyone else is wearing one can be a mark of identification to some degree.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2018, 11:13:07 by Kovax »

Register