Author Topic: Scenarios involving state-sponsored mercenaries.  (Read 3011 times)

Terrace

• Lieutenant
Scenarios involving state-sponsored mercenaries.
« on: 22 December 2018, 11:37:09 »
I've been trying to come up with justifications for a mercenary unit that is not only openly sponsored by a nation they don't operate in (Great House or Periphery), but scenarios that would not have them treated as a hostile raiding force by their hosts.

Best I've come up with is having their mercenary status simply be a legal cover while a Mutual Defense Treaty is still being worked out, but allows the Sponsor Nation to still help out Host Nation's defense issues. Basically only be mercenaries by a strict reading of the law, with the group being folded into whatever official forces deploy into Host Nation once the treaty goes into force.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Scenarios involving state-sponsored mercenaries.
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2018, 11:44:58 »
I've been trying to come up with justifications for a mercenary unit that is not only openly sponsored by a nation they don't operate in (Great House or Periphery), but scenarios that would not have them treated as a hostile raiding force by their hosts.

There's what I expect is a double negative.  Do you mean to ask about a scenario where the mercs are not sponsored by the House claiming sovereignty over the space they ARE operating within?  If I'm not operating within Davion space, what does it matter how Davion views me?

Best I've come up with is having their mercenary status simply be a legal cover while a Mutual Defense Treaty is still being worked out, but allows the Sponsor Nation to still help out Host Nation's defense issues. Basically only be mercenaries by a strict reading of the law, with the group being folded into whatever official forces deploy into Host Nation once the treaty goes into force.

Neo-feudalism is the answer.  You're not contracted by House Davion or the AFFS, but if you're posted to a garrison on a Davion world you could instead be employed by MegaCorporation owned by Count Stuffybritches.  Or even as part of his own Household Guard.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 11:47:27 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2018, 11:54:53 »
Pirate hunting springs to mind... The locals may not be entirely friendly, but as long as you're looking for the people that actively make their lives miserable, they shouldn't be inclined to shoot.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2018, 12:05:49 »
There's what I expect is a double negative.  Do you mean to ask about a scenario where the mercs are not sponsored by the House claiming sovereignty over the space they ARE operating within?  If I'm not operating within Davion space, what does it matter how Davion views me?

Yes. It would be like mercs operating in the Lyran Commonwealth while openly being funded and supplied by the Federated Suns before the Federated Commonwealth Treaty was conceived.

Neo-feudalism is the answer.  You're not contracted by House Davion or the AFFS, but if you're posted to a garrison on a Davion world you could instead be employed by MegaCorporation owned by Count Stuffybritches.  Or even as part of his own Household Guard.

I always forget about how neo-feudalism alters the geo-stellar politics.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2018, 12:09:01 »
It could also be something as simple as obtaining a license to operate in the "other" state.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2018, 12:14:30 »
Ah, well as Daryk mentioned Pirate hunting is a notable possibility.

Of course, coming back to the neo-feudalistic nature of the Inner Sphere warfare between petty nobles is basically inseparable from piracy.  I say pirate hunting, you say *I'm* the pirates.  He said she said.  Still, if a force is small enough or being specific enough about what they're targeting, a raiding force taking on Count Dookienose's forces and not posing a threat to the rest of the planet might not even rise to the attention of the native House Army garrison.  "Grow up and settle your squabbles with House Stuffybritches on your own, we've got better things to do than bail your sorry ass out."

The MRBC can provide a completely different angle.  If your contract is certified, you presumably have some kind of IFF code you can use to broadcast your legitimate status.  If you're not being paid to take over the world, presumably you'll be happy to admit to that and prove it through ComStar if the native House garrison takes an interest in your presence.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 12:16:25 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2018, 14:37:46 »
When it comes to scenarios where mercenaries are onplanet, but not hostile to the National Government, you have the following options:
1) Planetary Gov hires Mercs
2) Local Noble A hires Mercs to perform an operation against Local Noble B.
3) A Corporation hires Mercs
4) Regional Noble hires Mercs for an Operation against rival Planet
Ex:  Duke Sandoval of the Draconis March decides to curbstomp some Kuritas, but does not bother to ask New Avalon first.
5) Comstar hires Mercs
Ex:The Taurian world of Hellespont is the HQ of the Rimward Operations Area of Comstar's Explorer Corps. So a Merc unit hired to secure the facility would be protected by Comstar's neutrality.
6) A religious/refugee community hires Mercs
- The community is settled on a remote part of the planet. While they settlement has been permitted, they have been made vulnerable to enemy raids while the planetary forces are busy protecting primary targets. So the Planetary and/or National Gov has given the Community permission to hire Mercs as long as the Mercs are vetted, a Gov Liaison is assigned to the Mercs, AND the Community covers most(or all) of the Merc's expenses.

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2018, 15:15:46 »
I could also see a mutual defense pact between two states.

States A and B have a mutual defense pact. State B is threatened by state 3. State A, not wanting to risk their own troops, hire and send mercs instead to garrison State B worlds.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2018, 16:48:41 »
We are about to launch an Illyrian palatinate campaign where the u it is sponsored by the magistracy of canopus. Why? Because they want the Illyrian and Lothian to survive to annoy the hell and force the Marian Hegemony to center its attention there. The enemy of my enemy is my friend approach. They are under the command of the illiryans, but wages come from the magistracy.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2018, 18:46:14 »
3) A Corporation hires Mercs

Operation stiletto

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2018, 18:53:51 »
Pitcairn's Legion  ;)

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2018, 08:39:13 »
I could also see a mutual defense pact between two states.

States A and B have a mutual defense pact. State B is threatened by state 3. State A, not wanting to risk their own troops, hire and send mercs instead to garrison State B worlds.

The scenario I came up with is essentially this, except the mercs are actually State A's troops operating under a legal fig leaf as the mutual defense pact that would allow State A troops to legally deploy inside State B hasn't been hammered out yet (though they are working on it).
« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 11:38:45 by Terrace »

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2018, 15:19:54 »
1) you might have an outside actor supporting one side of a civil war.
2) Dignitary bodyguard?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 27 December 2018, 15:44:06 »
Honestly, feudalism will explain a lot of it . . . cross border trade will as well.

Count Snobby of the Lyran Commonwealth owns a controlling interest in A Company which makes Superior Widgets.  Count Snobby has a LOT invested in the shipment of Superior Widgets crossing the border to sell to Widget-User Company in the Free Worlds League.  He sends along mercs/retainers detachment to guard his investment.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2018, 17:12:41 »
Honestly, feudalism will explain a lot of it . . . cross border trade will as well.

Count Snobby of the Lyran Commonwealth owns a controlling interest in A Company which makes Superior Widgets.  Count Snobby has a LOT invested in the shipment of Superior Widgets crossing the border to sell to Widget-User Company in the Free Worlds League.  He sends along mercs/retainers detachment to guard his investment.

Basically the premise of Hearts of Chaos -  Uncle Chandy is a Kuritan Noble (an actual kurita too!) and heavily invests over the border, buying up companies on Towne in the Federated Suns.
He wasn’t to keep his new assets safe, so he hires mercs and dispatches then.

Behind the scenes, however - he’s also worried about an impending rogue Black Dragons attack. Worried the FedRats are too preoccupied and will not heed a Drac’s warning, his mercs are tasked with a second mission of fighting off the invasion and working with local militia, etc

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #15 on: 27 December 2018, 22:23:10 »
If the mercenaries are small-size unit, then close personal protection for a VIP - new ambassador or envoy being sent from one House to another. It would be appropriate for the ambassador or envoy to have close personal protection/honour guard but due to sensitivities it may not be appropriate to send a House unit (eg. Davion ambassador/envoy turning up in Sian with a company of Davion Guards as his honour guard could be viewed as "provocative", whereas a company of professionally turned out mercs who were not too closely aligned to House Davion would probably be ok). 
« Last Edit: 27 December 2018, 22:28:00 by Feenix74 »
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2018, 17:46:22 »
Can rebel groups hire mercenaries to fight for them if they have a big enough war chest?  Seven Samurai style to throw off the yoke of the oppressors and stuff, except the oppressors are also samurai, because it's the Draconis Combine?  Would ComStar allow such a contract to be posted?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2018, 18:35:36 »
If they have enough money, sure.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2018, 20:25:12 »
Gray Death Legion's Verthandi campaign (see Mercenary Star novel) would be a canonical example.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 31 December 2018, 03:10:30 »
Can rebel groups hire mercenaries to fight for them if they have a big enough war chest?  Seven Samurai style to throw off the yoke of the oppressors and stuff, except the oppressors are also samurai, because it's the Draconis Combine?  Would ComStar allow such a contract to be posted?

Gray Death is the best example of this. But the Chaos March sourcebook has a couple examples of cadre and helping the rebels contracts that are all bonded and facilitated by ComStar. Money walks, man...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Register