Author Topic: *SPAAAAAAACE* Mennonites  (Read 2943 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
*SPAAAAAAACE* Mennonites
« on: 06 January 2019, 11:44:35 »
I am wracking my brain trying to remember or find out what the name of the Luddite sect on Zion is from back just before the Jihad.

They were basically Amish or Mennonites or Hutterites or Pennsylvania Dutch, but they had another name and I couldn't find it on sarna.

It's not relevant to my inquiry so much, but I also remember some Jihad sub-plot with WOB-planted orphans adopted by some FWL nobles and acting as spies or assassins. Which was weird.

Anybody help me out here? I am away from my books and it's bugging me.

Thank you.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Maelwys

• Major
Re: *SPAAAAAAACE* Mennonites
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2019, 16:32:16 »
You're most likely thinking of the planet Shiloh and the Exituri.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shiloh

Though I'm not sure how much the orphans working as spies/assassins was ever anything beyond rumors.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2019, 16:33:05 »
Maybe you're thinking of the Exituri of the planet Shiloh?

ninjaed while typing...
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2019, 01:21:17 »
BINGO!

How did I mix up Shiloh and Zion???

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2019, 12:08:01 »
...and here I thought you were referring to the Omniss in the Outworlds Alliance, probably the closest thing in the game to "Amish - in SPAAAAAAACE".

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2019, 16:59:34 »
...and here I thought you were referring to the Omniss in the Outworlds Alliance, probably the closest thing in the game to "Amish - in SPAAAAAAACE".

Oh Shhhhhhugar!

You're right! But man, in the OA...Gotta look into them and see whats happened to them since the Ravens came.

A.E. Housman

reppa

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2019, 21:36:33 »
I just found a bunch of my books, so I remembered a reference to the Amish I recently read.
Quote from: the old House Marik book
Interstellar history has been particularly kind to the genealogy-oriented Church of Latter-Day Saints Mormons), and, surprisingly, to the Amish peoples of Terran Pennsylvania, who settled on the world of Home and remain there to the present. (page 77)
not sure if this is helpful, though...

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2019, 23:40:21 »
I just found a bunch of my books, so I remembered a reference to the Amish I recently read. not sure if this is helpful, though...

That's very helpful, actually!

A.E. Housman

TheKnightShift

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2019, 03:21:16 »
The Amish are actually quite comfortable with modern technology.  The heart of their beliefs about it is that they shouldn't connect their homes to the outside world, hence why they're not on an electrical grid (they use refrigerators but they're gas powered) and that a thing should not be adopted unless there is a conviction that it doesn't come between themselves and God as well as their neighbors.

In their places of work they use power tools all the time (run on batteries or generators on site) and quite a few of them have set up websites (using PCs with dial-up modems).  They wont use cell phones but they do have landline phones around, kept in sheds that members of the community can go and use in case of emergency etc.

An accurate image of the Amish in the Star League era and beyond might be a people still wearing subdued colors and straw hats, living in simple houses with no electrical power, an old fashioned barn out back with horses and cows to milk at 4 am, and a small industrial Mech (running on gasoline) under a tarp for larger jobs.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2019, 05:23:41 »
By the time you get to the late succession wars, the Amish must have been so 'I told you so'
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2019, 14:34:41 »
By the time you get to the late succession wars, the Amish must have been so 'I told you so'

I think they'd be more like "technology disappearing? Who cares?"
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2019, 17:34:38 »
Interesting sidenote: We have Amish communities here in Iowa. On my annual trip a couple years back, I visited with a young Amish couple who were going out on the same airplane I was getting on. He had a cell phone he was using to call his brother. They did wear the traditional style clothes.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2019, 19:08:15 »

Was there ever anything on BattleCorps about the Exituri? Or was it simply IP? Did find that section highly intriguing.

Interesting sidenote: We have Amish communities here in Iowa. On my annual trip a couple years back, I visited with a young Amish couple who were going out on the same airplane I was getting on. He had a cell phone he was using to call his brother. They did wear the traditional style clothes.

Sounds more like Mennonites, they're similar, but not as resictive about modern technology as the Amish are.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2019, 01:57:17 »
The Amish are actually quite comfortable with modern technology.  The heart of their beliefs about it is that they shouldn't connect their homes to the outside world, hence why they're not on an electrical grid (they use refrigerators but they're gas powered) and that a thing should not be adopted unless there is a conviction that it doesn't come between themselves and God as well as their neighbors.

In their places of work they use power tools all the time (run on batteries or generators on site) and quite a few of them have set up websites (using PCs with dial-up modems).
Actually, judging from the last few wild months in my office I'm inclined to say they are on to something...  ::)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Register