Author Topic: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.  (Read 55089 times)

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Re: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« Reply #240 on: 01 February 2023, 07:07:10 »
Wolves have, traditionally, been good at indoctrination with bondsmen (re Tyra's wingman becoming a Invasion Wolf) . . . the problem with that is it takes some time and with the acceptance of RAF on the Wolf side of the ilClan Trial, they did not have long enough for all the bondsmen as evidenced by the Tripod crew.

They maybe good in indoctrination of their bondsman but the Wolves (from the invasion and beyond) have treated the lower castes as second class citizens.  They may have separated other bondsman family and friends but that’s hard to do when you’re on the same planet.  Unless Alaric severely changes the attitude of the Wolves he may face an internal revolt if the Cappies or Hell’s Horses don’t finish him off first.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #241 on: 01 February 2023, 07:46:41 »
Might want to re-read Wars of the Republic and Shattered Fortress.

Nothing in there remotely addresses my point. Capellans want Terra for political reasons, same as Wolves. Both would try to remake Terra. Falcons were going to kill billions of people if they took Terra. Possibly everyone on Terra.

There’s a huge difference between “I hate these people, they’ll change the planet’s culture” and “if these people win, everyone on this planet will be murdered horribly” in terms of motivation

The closest we have to up to date, on ground POV over the matter is Rock of the Republic. Stone planned to save Capellans for last because they operate like a rational IS power and he can try to wheel and deal with them. Clanners were the irrational ones most likely to cause the most damage to Terra.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #242 on: 01 February 2023, 09:30:55 »
Nothing in there remotely addresses my point. Capellans want Terra for political reasons, same as Wolves. Both would try to remake Terra. Falcons were going to kill billions of people if they took Terra. Possibly everyone on Terra.

There’s a huge difference between “I hate these people, they’ll change the planet’s culture” and “if these people win, everyone on this planet will be murdered horribly” in terms of motivation

The closest we have to up to date, on ground POV over the matter is Rock of the Republic. Stone planned to save Capellans for last because they operate like a rational IS power and he can try to wheel and deal with them. Clanners were the irrational ones most likely to cause the most damage to Terra.

That was Stone's point of view in dealing with the current crisis.   The Cappies have been the Republic's primary rival for most of its existence. They resisted its creation.  Invaded it prior to the Dark Age, and (reading between the lines) have taken the more Republic Worlds than any other power since the HPG blackout began.   Would the Cappies be worse than Mavina, probably not, the Mongol doctrine is brutal.  But between the Wolves and the Cappies, the Wolves at least are brining a Holy reverence and a desire to restore terra to the center of humanities universe.   The Cappies just want the dirt, and to turn people into servators.

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #243 on: 01 February 2023, 11:56:55 »
The Cappies just want the dirt, and to turn people into servators.

Is that really worse than being forced into a Clan's lower castes? At least a servitor can earn their way into higher privilege (to a point) and their children can become something other than what their parents were.
Welcome to interesting times

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #244 on: 01 February 2023, 12:22:30 »
That was Stone's point of view in dealing with the current crisis.   The Cappies have been the Republic's primary rival for most of its existence. They resisted its creation.  Invaded it prior to the Dark Age, and (reading between the lines) have taken the more Republic Worlds than any other power since the HPG blackout began.   Would the Cappies be worse than Mavina, probably not, the Mongol doctrine is brutal.  But between the Wolves and the Cappies, the Wolves at least are brining a Holy reverence and a desire to restore terra to the center of humanities universe.   The Cappies just want the dirt, and to turn people into servators.

Malvina’s goal was to kill every human. Yea, her holding Terra is the worst outcome. Most everyone on that planet would die. Either because Terra resisted her or because she won’t give it up when her enemies eventually come to rescue Terra from her. She was absolutely capable of seeding the cities with nukes as a final strategy.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #245 on: 01 February 2023, 12:29:22 »
Malvina’s goal was to kill every human. Yea, her holding Terra is the worst outcome. Most everyone on that planet would die. Either because Terra resisted her or because she won’t give it up when her enemies eventually come to rescue Terra from her. She was absolutely capable of seeding the cities with nukes as a final strategy.

Speaking as Malvina's biggest fan (she's my favorite BT character), this is 100% accurate. Malvina's endgame was to wipe out humanity entirely. On Daoshen's absolute worst day, he's not an existential threat to Terra like she was.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #246 on: 01 February 2023, 12:48:11 »
They maybe good in indoctrination of their bondsman but the Wolves (from the invasion and beyond) have treated the lower castes as second class citizens.  They may have separated other bondsman family and friends but that’s hard to do when you’re on the same planet.  Unless Alaric severely changes the attitude of the Wolves he may face an internal revolt if the Cappies or Hell’s Horses don’t finish him off first.

Lol, no- not in the Invasion . . . they had cultural differences- like selecting the brightest who traveled with them- that took some time to ease, but the Invasion Wolves treated the conquered populations better than any other Invading Clan.  Once they grasped the family dynamic, it was much like a change of flag among the Houses.  It was part of the reason the Horses were welcomed when they invaded the periphery-side of the Wolf OZ.  Vlad cracked down in the OZ when he became Khan because as he described in the Great Refusal debates, he felt the Inner Sphere culture could dilute the Clan culture.

Nothing in there remotely addresses my point.

Yeah it does, you are not reading those and using OOC Malvina knowledge.  WE know her internal monologues about burning all of human space down and leaving the cinders for Cynthi . . . oops, that plan went awry when SHE was changed.  None of that is EVER voiced publicly.  There is little difference between Malvina's overzealous retribution for infractions and the Capellans executing RAF members, Republic government officials, placing 'invaders' (those relocated by Stone) in concentration camps and condemning them to the servitor class, as well as trying ANY Republic citizen of 'Capellan' heritage who did not properly embrace the resistance for perhaps capital crimes.

Daoshen was doing these things BEFORE Malvina was decanted- see orders to execute RAF prisoners during the 3080s combat or later Daniel Peterson & the Night of Screams on Liao.  Shattered Fortress discusses Republic officials being summarily executed when captured on a invaded world . . . Malvina for all her faults was not doing that sort of thing as far as the universe at large knows.

Shattered Fortress, Pg 65 sidebar

And Danai's novel where she is administering a world per Daoshen's instructions.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #247 on: 01 February 2023, 13:00:32 »
Is that really worse than being forced into a Clan's lower castes? At least a servitor can earn their way into higher privilege (to a point) and their children can become something other than what their parents were.

Plenty of RAF has been taking as bonds-people getting elevated to the highest caste from jump.   The Clans would assign your initial caste based on your ability, rather than just dumping everyone into the laborer castes.

Malvina’s goal was to kill every human.

Speaking as Malvina's biggest fan (she's my favorite BT character), this is 100% accurate.

Do you have any sources to back this up?

Malvina has no problem using mass death as a tool of persuasion, or collective punishment as a means of control, but outright genocide isn't her style.  She would have left the civilians alone provided they followed her vision unquestioningly.  She might have had fantasies about ending all of humanity, but I too have been in line at the DMV.   And there are plenty of natives left on the planets of the Falcon OZ.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2023, 13:02:52 by Geg »

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #248 on: 01 February 2023, 13:02:17 »
Do you have any sources to back this up?

Sure do. "A Rending of Falcons". She flat-out tells Cynthy that her endgame is to exterminate humanity entirely, including herself, and leave the ruins to Cynthy to reboot humanity if she chooses.

Outright genocide is absolutely her style.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2023, 13:04:53 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #249 on: 01 February 2023, 13:11:06 »
Sure do. "A Rending of Falcons". She flat-out tells Cynthy that her goal is to exterminate humanity entirely, including herself, and leave the ruins to Cynthy to reboot humanity if she chooses.

Do you have a page number by any chance.?  I don't remember that and a search isn't helping.

And assuming it is there and in the correct context.

If I was an abusive step parent.  That is exactly the sort of shit I would say to my step-kid.   Her actions don't support her shit talking.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #250 on: 01 February 2023, 13:18:02 »
It is not just that passage, she has a internal monologue with the same thing after Alek is killed- she seeks revenge on the universe for his death.  And it was not until we got the novella . . . Anvil?  about Coventry that Cynthi is abused . . . before that she was a pampered pet that Malvina doted on.

The point being no one else knows that, she knows she would lose her following if they thought she was full nihilism rather than going for Falcon dominance.  She gets close to telling Becket Malthus that after lighting Horse grain fields on fire during a Trial and leaving her Elemental force to get wiped out so the fires truly catch before she leads her star against the rear of the vehicle star.

I hold to the contention that IF former RAF personnel know- and Shattered Fortress is a intel report FOR the RAF, thus bulletin board fodder- about Daoshen's actions in the former Republic worlds, he would be thought of as little better if not equivalent to Malvina.  The little we see of Alaric's administration of Terra in HotW & ilClan is very different from what Daoshen would do.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #251 on: 01 February 2023, 13:18:12 »
Do you have a page number by any chance.?  I don't remember that and a search isn't helping.

I don't, but I know approximately where it was in the novel: just before she took off for Sudeten to fight Jana Pryde. She also mentions it in internal dialogue at the end of "Flight of the Falcon", after her defeat on Skye and learning of her brother's demise. That's the moment she snapped entirely.

If I was an abusive step parent.  That is exactly the sort of shit I would say to my step-kid.   Her actions don't support her shit talking.

They absolutely do. Malvina can't carry out her goals without first conquering everyone. She needs the manpower and machinery to make it happen.

And she wasn't being abusive in this novel. That came much later in publication, when Malvina's characterization shifted to make her physically abusive to Cynthy out of nowhere. Before that, she treated Cynthy completely differently, doting on her like a pet and literally killing anyone who looked funny at their relationship. Pardoe fundamentally did not understand Malvina or her relationship with Cynthy.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2023, 13:27:49 by tassa_kay »

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #252 on: 01 February 2023, 13:29:27 »
And she wasn't being abusive in this novel. That came much later in publication, when Malvina's characterization shifted to make her physically abusive to Cynthy out of nowhere. Before that, she treated Cynthy completely differently, doting on her like a pet and literally killing anyone who looked funny at their relationship.

The Dark Age novels were not the best when it came to consistent characterization.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #253 on: 01 February 2023, 13:34:43 »
The Dark Age novels were not the best when it came to consistent characterization.

Absolutely agreed. I notice it more and more with these new novels. One can really feel the disconnect, the shift between regimes, when it comes to consistent characterization.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #254 on: 01 February 2023, 14:37:57 »
It was just the first 8 or so novels with that sort of problem which is also what happened to mess with Anastasia Kerensky . . . the only other one that was off really, was Stackpole's novel introducing Alaric but my issue there is not so much problems with that characterization vs later (b/c AK taught him some humility) but the fact checking . . . He wrote Wolf forces like it was the old 3050 Invasion- none of the legacy clusters (279th/328th/341st/352nd) stayed with the Crusaders yet those were the formations he reached for in that book.

The treatment of Cynthi was over at least 2 novels IIRC, Rending and Bonfire.
Colt Ward

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #255 on: 01 February 2023, 14:44:21 »
I hated Masters of War so much. It took the very interesting formation and dynamic of the Wolf Hunters from their debut novel and... made them a generic merc force. Plus, as you mentioned, his extremely dated and inaccurate use of the Wolves' touman.

The disconnect I'm referring to is the gap between the original MWDA novel line and what we've been getting for the last few years. I only notice Malvina/Cynthy as being among the worst examples because they're characters I'm very invested in, so I tend to notice these things. I also noticed it a bit with Danai, but not as much. Not sure about any others because I don't tend to give a damn about them, but I'm sure there are more examples if I looked for 'em.

And if Anastasia taught Alaric some humility, it looks like that's been thrown out the window, too, because he's become more arrogant than ever.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #256 on: 01 February 2023, 15:05:41 »
Eh, he is no longer a god striding among men . . . but yeah, there IS a disconnect Bonfire to current fiction . . . and it is all little details unfortunately, like the Mal/Cyn dynamic change.  Julian is radically different from Fortress in Splinter.  Jasek runs a Templar rather than a Templar III w/o any fangirls in his command, Roderick's Rifleman changes & no Frost or Steiner Strikers reference that I recall . . .
Colt Ward

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #257 on: 02 February 2023, 19:49:21 »
IF the story had taken a turn for the worse and The Not Named Hazen's dark fantasy was exposed, and or she starting nuking planets into oblivion, I am sure she would survive long after that in the Inner Sphere, as she would have "everyone" after her, save for the WoB

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #258 on: 03 February 2023, 05:17:15 »
I hold to the contention that IF former RAF personnel know- and Shattered Fortress is a intel report FOR the RAF, thus bulletin board fodder- about Daoshen's actions in the former Republic worlds, he would be thought of as little better if not equivalent to Malvina.  The little we see of Alaric's administration of Terra in HotW & ilClan is very different from what Daoshen would do.

The thing is though that Daoshen is doing what Capellans usually do when conquering a planet at least that is from what I understood of the Capellan caste mentality. Of course executing Hoimeguard and RAF soldiers who have surrendered is a big No No but the rest seems in line with typical Capellan thinking. Of course if he repeats stuff like the Nights of Screams during the Capellan crusades that might be something different entirely (and this in turn made Kai Allard-Liao into a berserker who had no compulsion in killing Capellans in cold blood or even rampaging through cities something the RAF loathes)

Also I find it funny that Malvina never got a taste of her own medicine. If I would have to defend against someone like her I would use every dirty trick in the book. Screw the Ares Convention the Falcons must die. The only time she got close to it was probably during Jotunheim and Operation Nighthawk and even then Deus ex machina saved her. The RAF should have made sure to stomp the cockpit several times after ripping it of her Mech.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #259 on: 03 February 2023, 05:23:25 »
The thing is though that Daoshen is doing what Capellans usually do when conquering a planet at least that is from what I understood of the Capellan caste mentality. Of course executing Hoimeguard and RAF soldiers who have surrendered is a big No No but the rest seems in line with typical Capellan thinking. Of course if he repeats stuff like the Nights of Screams during the Capellan crusades that might be something different entirely (and this in turn made Kai Allard-Liao into a berserker who had no compulsion in killing Capellans in cold blood or even rampaging through cities something the RAF loathes)

Also I find it funny that Malvina never got a taste of her own medicine. If I would have to defend against someone like her I would use every dirty trick in the book. Screw the Ares Convention the Falcons must die. The only time she got close to it was probably during Jotunheim and Operation Nighthawk and even then Deus ex machina saved her. The RAF should have made sure to stomp the cockpit several times after ripping it of her Mech.

that's actually a good point, given Malvina's reputation she really should have just gotten nuked en route to landing
The Suns will shine again

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #260 on: 03 February 2023, 10:45:52 »
Daoshen is going beyond the 'normal' Capellan action- consigning the populace to Servitors?  yes.  Executing opposing government officials?  Nobles?  I mean a big deal gets made of him executing Duchess Amanda Hasek, but we do not hear of any of the Capellan March officials kneeling on the platform with her.  Or to anyone on Tikonov or Chesterton.

I would also note this is a escalating pattern with him . . . yes he had CCAF commands execute prisoners during the 3120s offensive, but not in 3080 when daddy was looking over his shoulder- nor was the CCAF taking action against Blakist Protectorate or Republic officials at that time.  Heck, the Liao invasion of 3133? did not have Capellan troops executing government officials.

The god of Sian thinks there will be no repercussions and believes his propaganda more and more . . . former Republic citizens and troops know what Daoshen will do if they are in grasp.
Colt Ward

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #261 on: 04 February 2023, 06:09:35 »
Daoshen is going beyond the 'normal' Capellan action- consigning the populace to Servitors?  yes.  Executing opposing government officials?  Nobles?  I mean a big deal gets made of him executing Duchess Amanda Hasek, but we do not hear of any of the Capellan March officials kneeling on the platform with her.  Or to anyone on Tikonov or Chesterton.

I would also note this is a escalating pattern with him . . . yes he had CCAF commands execute prisoners during the 3120s offensive, but not in 3080 when daddy was looking over his shoulder- nor was the CCAF taking action against Blakist Protectorate or Republic officials at that time.  Heck, the Liao invasion of 3133? did not have Capellan troops executing government officials.

The god of Sian thinks there will be no repercussions and believes his propaganda more and more . . . former Republic citizens and troops know what Daoshen will do if they are in grasp.

I tend to agree Daoshen is definatly escalating and will get worse and worse until he's stopped..

And by stopped I mean killed (or consigned to a room with padded walls for the rest of his life) I mean ordering the executions of surrendering troops? that's Malvina Hazen level nutso. and frankly I don't think things will end any better for Daoshen then it did Malvina. We saw on Terra Republic troops moving to surrender specificly to the wolves so they didn't get executed by Malvina, if that happens in the terran corridor against the cappies, Alaric could conquer entire worlds without a shot fired simply by "not being a blood thristy loon"
The Suns will shine again

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #262 on: 14 February 2023, 13:50:31 »
I will put this here to avoid cluttering another thread . . .

Invasion Wolf Touman circa 15 Sept 3057 (pre-Refusal War)

Phelan's Task Force
Golden Keshik- boosted up to cluster level for Refusal War
4th Wolf Guards/Alpha
16th Wolf Guards/Delta
16th Battle Cluster/Gamma
279th Battle Cluster/Alpha
328th Assault Cluster/Alpha

Natasha's Task Force
Silver Keshik? 2 trinaries-
13th Wolf Guards/Alpha
352nd Assault Cluster/Beta
341st Assault Cluster/Beta
3rd Battle Cluster/Beta
11th Battle Cluster/Gamma

Ulric's Task Force
11th Wolf Regulars/Tau (F&W- Vlad's transfer)
21st Battle Cluster
4th Striker Cluster/Delta
2nd Wolf Cavaliers/Tau (F&W- Ulric's cluster?)
1st Wolf Cavalry/Tau (ObjRaids)
possible 5th Tau cluster if truly 'secondline'

Escorts to Arc Royal from Homeworlds per novel, overriding Obj Raids
Omega Galaxy- Keshik & 5 Clusters

Not involved per novel/SB-
9th Wolf Dragoons (Phelan's Trial of Position semi-final round)
26th Wolf Rangers/Delta (Obj Raids)
4th Wolf Guards Striker/Alpha (Obj Raids- does not fit naming conventions)
7th Battle Cluster/Gamma
Bronze Keshik/Gamma, 7 stars
Red Keshik/Delta, 7 stars
11th Wolf Guards/Delta
37th Striker Cluster/Delta
Green Keshik (2 trinaries)/Epsilon
Dorbeng Cluster/Epsilon
Choyer Cluster/Epsilon
Nega Cluster/Epsilon
Gurbeng Cluster/Epsilon
Plus 26 PGCs brought into OZ by Shower's permission*
Unnamed Home World secondline/garrison galaxy**
Confirmed- 3 keshiks and 36 confirmed clusters

*Per F&W pg 21, Tau Galaxy was newly created- it had been filled with Crusader transfers from frontline galaxies and IIRC based on novel mentions before that was filled with a lot of the 'new' warriors since the Wolves had not suffered the losses of other Clans since the Invasion.  Therefore the 5 clusters of Tau do not draw from the 26 PGCs as Obj Raids suggests.  Those 26 clusters were probably organized into Theta/Sigma/Iota/not-Omega as suggested by ObjRaids and another galaxy as Wolf secondline/garrison galaxies seem to have 5 clusters.  Explorer Corps also lists Exodus Road garrisons, which was probably a task given to some/one of those PGCs.

**Omega was tasked with escorting assets from the Home Worlds to Arc Royal, no mention of Ulric stripping all the defenses from the Home Worlds.  The post-Tukayyid understrength Jaguars had two garrison galaxies in the Home Worlds, surprising if the Wolves had less . . . though it could be 4 clusters, with the '26th' being theirs from organizational stand point.  Now I had always read this as escorting the whole way, but if they met them in the periphery and escorted through the OZs, all we do is re-arrange the names and we still have 9-10 clusters with keshiks back in the Homeworlds and you just swap some names around.  Unless you want to suggest the Wolves left no garrison in the Home Worlds.

Now FMWC details how most of Natasha's task force survivors made it off of Wotan with the 13th Wolf Guards maintaining command integrity to sweep up the remains.  They brought parts of the 352nd and 341st along with 37th Striker which later went on to form the 2nd Wolf Legion.  Problem with this is Natasha met with her Star Colonels on Twycross before she ordered them off world and it was only the 5 clusters I listed above as being present.  IMO this is FASA realizing they left a LOT of Wolf units unmentioned in the Refusal War- a total of 15 get named with 5 being new, the Invasion had 17 frontline clusters & 4 garrison!  I honestly ignore the touman listings in the back of F&W- FMWC does not refer to any of the units listed if they were not in WCSB, and IIRC the FMCC units are also hit & miss . . . and the Falcon entries also have problems.

To add to Warden Wolf strength Phelan also took Natasha's seriously injured when he left- noted that she was down 32% of equipment across her forces (5 clusters) but only 8% in personnel, the gap would indicate a decent number of wounded.  Phelan also weakened the Warden Wolves by 'releasing' Clan warriors (see Explorer Corps for Tyra's wingmate bio).  Just like the Crusader Wolves were left gimped, the Warden Wolf survivors were paired down . . . Golden Keshik (cluster size) & 5 clusters on Morges, 5 undamaged clusters of Omega, plus the survivors of the 5 or 6 clusters from Natasha and yet they have the Golden Keshik shrunk back down with 3 keshiks (2 trinary) & 9 clusters going into OP Bulldog.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #263 on: 14 February 2023, 16:30:46 »
Two adds . . .

The Golden Keshiks 'could' have absorbed the other frontline Keshiks to get up to that strength for the Refusal War, leaving out the Naga stars from WCSB.  This makes some sense because it would not compromise the 'quality' of the Golden Keshik while not pulling troops out of the frontline galaxies- that was already happening as Crusaders were shuffled about the touman so they could die in Ulric's task force.

And the Warden Wolves only had 2 Keshiks for FMWC since the 13th Wolf Guards was acting as that for saKhan Hall in Beta Galaxy.  I was thinking of the eventual Beta Wolf Spider's Keshik in FMU.  The overall strength is still low b/c it leaves off the remains of 6 or 7 Jaguar clusters the Warden Wolves fought in Bulldog outside of the intact 6th they gained.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #264 on: 15 February 2023, 01:21:34 »

Phelan's Task Force
Golden Keshik- boosted up to cluster level for Refusal War
16th Wolf Guards/Delta  Where is this from?

Green Keshik (2 trinaries)/Epsilon
Dorbeng Cluster/Epsilon
Choyer Cluster/Epsilon
Nega Cluster/Epsilon
Gurbeng Cluster/Epsilon
Plus 26 PGCs brought into OZ by Shower's permission*

Why do you assume that Epsilon, Omega, & Tau are not part of the total of 26 PGCs that the Wolves moved to the IS during OP:Revival?
They are listed in Objective Raids IIRC & the wording in the books of them being "new" or "from the homeworlds" can just mean "newly re-organized" and "returning from the homeworlds on escort duty" as you said.
Nothing says a unit cant change duty station more than 1x in 7 years.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #265 on: 15 February 2023, 02:14:08 »
For the simple reason Tau (see pg 21) was 'newly created' before the Refusal War using the date of 30Sept3057.  I THINK the novel covering the Refusal War also mentions it is created as a expansion post Invasion due to not taking casualties and the 'wealth' of the new territory.  The novel is where Ulric confirms to Vlad that he transferred the hard core Crusaders from Natasha & Phelan's force so he could use them up.  Epsilon was part of the Wolf's original Invasion forces, involved in the 5th Wave (PGCs were for garrison only) and on Tukayyid.

Omega, as I said, was said by Ulric to escort the Full Moon with the sibko selections and other material from the Homeworlds to meet Phelan at his orders.  I said my interpretation was it escorted down the Exodus Road from the Homeworlds because it was a secret movement by Ulric and timed for Phelan's arrival in Lyran space.  But that is based on a simple use of the language, it could have been escorted only part of the way- namely across the OZ which might be more likely b/c the travel time would match up with the duration of the Refusal War from bidding to Ulric's death.  BUT it still raises the point- the Jags had two galaxies of 10 clusters IIRC (at least on paper) as their garrison in the Homeworlds . . . and the Wolves did not have comparative forces?  Had no garrison at all?  This was the whole point of the ** note.

16th Wolf Guards . . . eh, strike that I was flipping back and forth from PDF- 16th Battle Cluster from Gamma.  Name was a bit off, but that is why it was not in the 'Not Involved' list.  F&W pg 36 lists it as being included in Phelan's galaxy bid, 6 frontline clusters & 2 regiments against the Falcon's 5 frontline & 5 secondline clusters plus a solahma cluster.

Further, Objective Raids is notoriously bad at the fact checking- leaving off a whole major factory in FS space!- which is explained away as bad intel gathering for the report.  Even later sources claim the Inner Sphere had trouble determining what Clan unit was in place, often mistaking clusters.
Colt Ward

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #266 on: 15 February 2023, 07:15:38 »
I tend to agree Daoshen is definatly escalating and will get worse and worse until he's stopped..

And by stopped I mean killed (or consigned to a room with padded walls for the rest of his life) I mean ordering the executions of surrendering troops? that's Malvina Hazen level nutso. and frankly I don't think things will end any better for Daoshen then it did Malvina. We saw on Terra Republic troops moving to surrender specificly to the wolves so they didn't get executed by Malvina, if that happens in the terran corridor against the cappies, Alaric could conquer entire worlds without a shot fired simply by "not being a blood thristy loon"

The problem here is that Alaric's Wolves are just as bad. When they invaded Prefecture X they also killed RAF soldiers who had surrendered (though according to Shattered Fortress it depended on the Wolf commander). Of course Daoshen's orders during the Capellan Crusades were just as bad (executing RAF soldiers /  Standing Guards should they not fight) The question will be who opens Pandora's Box first. Malvina is dead and it's a shame she didn't meet her end at the business end of a Mechs foot. So we have ruthless Wolves vs. fanatical Capellans. Not a very good prospect for the worlds of the former Republic.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #267 on: 15 February 2023, 11:17:36 »
Sorry it is not the same . . . Daoshen executed POWs as a matter of policy- to be rid of Un/Non-Capellans, who are security risks and avoid the need to dedicate resources to guarding POWs.

This is not the same as rejecting a attempt to surrender (there is no right to surrender) or acting in response to a perceived violation of the 'rules' of war, what is known as reprisal.  Reprisal is a simple policy, act this way or be punished.  The Crusader Wolves expressed their displeasure with those they considered to be 'dishonorable' in battle in the most emphatic way possible as a lesson to those in the future.
Colt Ward

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #268 on: 15 February 2023, 12:22:51 »
Sorry it is not the same . . . Daoshen executed POWs as a matter of policy- to be rid of Un/Non-Capellans, who are security risks and avoid the need to dedicate resources to guarding POWs.

This is not the same as rejecting a attempt to surrender (there is no right to surrender) or acting in response to a perceived violation of the 'rules' of war, what is known as reprisal.  Reprisal is a simple policy, act this way or be punished.  The Crusader Wolves expressed their displeasure with those they considered to be 'dishonorable' in battle in the most emphatic way possible as a lesson to those in the future.

“Depending on which Cluster or Trinary commander was on the scene, those RAF soldiers who surrendered were absorbed into the Wolf Empire’s touman, assimilated into the civilian castes, or executed.“
Shattered Fortress, page 85

That’s Wolves executing prisoners who surrendered. Not refusing surrenders. You might’ve had a point when discussing Alaric refusing to recognize the Silver Hawks surrendering to Lyrans and killing them to a man.

From a basic moral point of view, both are abhorrent actions with little sunlight between them. Trying to reframe it as some sort of honor code based thing is to try and hide the basic inhumanity of it.

Also, for what it’s worth, the Ares conventions established the right to surrender.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2023, 12:25:27 by Church14 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #269 on: 15 February 2023, 13:16:46 »
A few things . . . first, the Ares Conventions have not been in force for centuries.

Second, the Wolves were never a signatory and thus are not bound by it even if it was in force.

Third, there is no right to surrender whatever lawyer fabrication is created.  There are situations where a commander is making the correct moral and legal decision to execute prisoners as repugnant as some individuals may find it.

Fourth, the use of reprisal is implied in the laws of war as the only true mechanism to make an opponent give reciprocity.  Laws of war is a relatively new phenomenon, at best in existence for 200 years (and only really codified for the last 125?) with the history before that point littered with examples of atrocity.  Making it known that a side will repay treatment in the same manner it is given- barring the shooting at medical personnel being one of the early examples- cut down on the barbarity of war.  One of the most extreme examples was the convention that developed in investing a fortification, where once a breach in the wall came about the garrison was given a chance to surrender as a whole.

Finally, the quote is not specific . . . are you talking about a single galaxy's practice?  Wolf behaviors in a campaign?  what happened in the battle for a contested world?  I can think of a few instances where that sentence might have applied, by itself it means little and is just cherry-picked . . . what is the context of the single sentence?
Colt Ward

Register