Author Topic: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.  (Read 54040 times)

Church14

• Lieutenant
Re: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« Reply #270 on: 15 February 2023, 15:17:25 »

Finally, the quote is not specific . . . are you talking about a single galaxy's practice?  Wolf behaviors in a campaign?  what happened in the battle for a contested world?  I can think of a few instances where that sentence might have applied, by itself it means little and is just cherry-picked . . . what is the context of the single sentence?
Your lengthy bit about morality being “we were terrible before, so it’s fine to be terrible forever” is… awkward. But my comment about the ares convention was off hand and not much of an effort. So yeah, doesn’t apply here.

As for the part I quoted. More at length:
“The two primary Wolf Empire thrusts targeted Denebola and Castor. On Denebola, rumors of Alaric Ward’s presence among the Clan Wolf warriors proved true this time. Alaric’s Silver Keshik led the Ninth Wolf Guard Striker and Seventy-ninth Wolf Battle Clusters into battle against the Fifteenth Principes Guards. Since the Wolves arrived at a pirate point, the Fifteenth’s conventional assets had little time to properly dig in along the lone approach to St. Cameron, so the RAF defenders were forced to fight on the move or risk being scattered. Alaric cast his net wide and surrounded the Fifteenth and its support elements. As he marched toward St. Cameron, his Wolves systematically destroyed the disorganized defenders. Depending on which Cluster or Trinary commander was on the scene, those RAF soldiers who surrendered were absorbed into the Wolf Empire’s touman, assimilated into the civilian castes, or executed.“
- Shattered Fortress, pg85

Wolf forces under Alaric’s command, shortly after the wall retracted. Shattered fortress is kind of all over the map on how wolves treat defeated units. Which, not a homogenous culture, so that make sense.

But the only times that wolves went out of their way to slaughter defeated troops appear to be when Alaric is directly in command. There’s a different planet, Alula Australis, where forces under his command slaughtered defenders functionally without quarter. It paints a picture where Alaric has what might be good plans and orders, but he’s unable to keep a clear head when he’s directly involved.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #271 on: 15 February 2023, 16:49:03 »
As for the part I quoted. More at length:
“The two primary Wolf Empire thrusts targeted Denebola and Castor. On Denebola, rumors of Alaric Ward’s presence among the Clan Wolf warriors proved true this time. Alaric’s Silver Keshik led the Ninth Wolf Guard Striker and Seventy-ninth Wolf Battle Clusters into battle against the Fifteenth Principes Guards. Since the Wolves arrived at a pirate point, the Fifteenth’s conventional assets had little time to properly dig in along the lone approach to St. Cameron, so the RAF defenders were forced to fight on the move or risk being scattered. Alaric cast his net wide and surrounded the Fifteenth and its support elements. As he marched toward St. Cameron, his Wolves systematically destroyed the disorganized defenders. Depending on which Cluster or Trinary commander was on the scene, those RAF soldiers who surrendered were absorbed into the Wolf Empire’s touman, assimilated into the civilian castes, or executed.“
- Shattered Fortress, pg85

Wolf forces under Alaric’s command, shortly after the wall retracted. Shattered fortress is kind of all over the map on how wolves treat defeated units. Which, not a homogenous culture, so that make sense.

But the only times that wolves went out of their way to slaughter defeated troops appear to be when Alaric is directly in command. There’s a different planet, Alula Australis, where forces under his command slaughtered defenders functionally without quarter. It paints a picture where Alaric has what might be good plans and orders, but he’s unable to keep a clear head when he’s directly involved.

So this circles back around to #3, when there are times you execute those who surrender because you cannot guard them and because if they are released they can pose a danger to your troops such as giving away your position or being released due to not having time/personnel to guard, able to take up arms again possibly behind your lines.

And, to aid your point- there were other times Crusader Wolves did not take prisoners.  IIRC it was a instance with the Thresher MK II wrecking some artillery used in a manner that was considered dishonorable.  They wreck the artillery and the troops it was sheltering as a 'lesson' from their cultural stand point.  I have not closely looked at the numbers, but there is ancedotal evidence that during the trench warfare of WWI machine gunners were rarely captured/surrendered.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #272 on: 26 February 2023, 11:37:18 »
I've been doing a poor job keeping up with Shrapnel and some of the RecGuides, but can anyone think of any specific mentions of some of the iconic, solidly Wolf designs of recent vintage appearing in other factions? Things like the Wulfen, the Dominator, the Warwolf, etc. The designs that are only listed on the MUL for one of the Wolf flavors but may show up as a one-line reference in fiction. Thanks!
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #273 on: 26 February 2023, 13:37:00 »
I've been doing a poor job keeping up with Shrapnel and some of the RecGuides, but can anyone think of any specific mentions of some of the iconic, solidly Wolf designs of recent vintage appearing in other factions? Things like the Wulfen, the Dominator, the Warwolf, etc. The designs that are only listed on the MUL for one of the Wolf flavors but may show up as a one-line reference in fiction. Thanks!

Off the top of my head, EA does reference Foxes selling Wolf equipment from Terra. No specifics, but could easily include some Wolf specials.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #274 on: 02 March 2023, 10:43:42 »
Was that the Wolf warrior on Solaris VII that was pissed the Foxes were selling stuff from Terra while he had retreads?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #275 on: 02 March 2023, 10:55:33 »

It’s a lousy design, but the Bears have the Stormwolf on their MUL.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #276 on: 02 March 2023, 11:29:15 »
Was that the Wolf warrior on Solaris VII that was pissed the Foxes were selling stuff from Terra while he had retreads?

Yeah. Letter from Star Captain Firuza. Empire Alone, page 64.

Confirmed it was wolf made, with rumors is was wolf made on Terra

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #277 on: 03 March 2023, 03:57:02 »
Dominions Divivded also had a short note that the Bear Khans who had visited Terra had made some research on Terra and they heard that Terra's factories are running around the clock (uhm where are the materials coming from?) which led them to believe that the Wolves were seriously damaged.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #278 on: 03 March 2023, 05:54:18 »
Terra's factories are running around the clock (uhm where are the materials coming from?

Terra's resources are kind of schrodinger's resources, it is both bustling and empty at the same time :)
The Suns will shine again

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #279 on: 03 March 2023, 06:21:50 »
Terra's resources are kind of schrodinger's resources, it is both bustling and empty at the same time :)

Terra is the big mystery planet in the BT universe: strapped for resources, remade into the planet it was before humanity had damaged it with crude industry, home to the most efficient factories humanity has ever seen. Also the planet that eats factions for breakfast

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #280 on: 03 March 2023, 06:54:52 »
I'm curious how much of the developments of the ilClan Wolf and Terra will show up in the next "field manual"/Scenario book, For the IlKhan Eyes Only book.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #281 on: 03 March 2023, 10:03:14 »
I'm curious how much of the developments of the ilClan Wolf and Terra will show up in the next "field manual"/Scenario book, For the IlKhan Eyes Only book.

Since the only factions not covered so far is the Snow Ravens, Smoke Jaguars, the rest of the Jade Falcons, and Wolf I would say quite a bit.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #282 on: 03 March 2023, 10:23:24 »
Dominions Divivded also had a short note that the Bear Khans who had visited Terra had made some research on Terra and they heard that Terra's factories are running around the clock (uhm where are the materials coming from?) which led them to believe that the Wolves were seriously damaged.

I imagine that the resources can be pulled from any of the other planets in the Sol system as well as the asteroid belt. From the original SL book it was shown that the Hegemony traded tech for resources with the other IS Houses but I imagine that if its just Terra the Wolves hold, and they really dont need much for several galaxies to be produced they can hit up the other planets & asteroids as well as resources from the Sea Foxes in return for finished products to sell.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #283 on: 03 March 2023, 10:28:22 »
Since the only factions not covered so far is the Snow Ravens, Smoke Jaguars, the rest of the Jade Falcons, and Wolf I would say quite a bit.

The Capellans have not really been covered- their interaction with the MoC & Andurien, yes.  But their own story?  No.
Colt Ward

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #284 on: 03 March 2023, 11:13:35 »
What if the Cappellans expulse the Wolves from Terra?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #285 on: 03 March 2023, 11:49:35 »
What if the Cappellans expulse the Wolves from Terra?

Narratively fascinating as it creates a question of “is the ilClan who holds Terra, or just the first to get it” and seeing how clans decide on that. Also, break Alaric’s awful ego and proves to the universe he’s beatable.

Also, I find it really unlikely. Even my most pessimistic theories for wolves have them holding Terra at end of ilKEO.

The Capellans have not really been covered- their interaction with the MoC & Andurien, yes.  But their own story?  No.

I expect the focus on:
Terran Wolves
NuJags
Terran Falcons
Capellans

Also that can’t/shouldn’t be ignored:
Galatean League
Skye
DC
RotS and whatever happens to what’s left.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #286 on: 03 March 2023, 12:03:37 »
Also, break Alaric’s awful ego and proves to the universe he’s beatable.

Already been done, was actually the introduction to his character.

The Isle of Skye is gone, gobbled up by the Falcons and Crusader Wolves though a few worlds on the Lyran border might have been free.  Galatean League had gotten pounded and is probably defunct b/c Hansen's Roughriders were inside the Fortress training RAF and then defending Terra before they got out to the FedSuns with the Hansen we saw in Patriot's Stand being the new CO and a noble.

Whatever is left of RotS was addressed at the end of ilClan already.
Colt Ward

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #287 on: 03 March 2023, 12:26:56 »

Also, I find it really unlikely. Even my most pessimistic theories for wolves have them holding Terra at end of ilKEO.

My shot in the dark guess is that the Capellans will jump into the Solar System on the last page of ilKEO. That would mirror the cliffhanger endings of Empire Alone, Dominions Divided, and of course Shattered Fortress.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #288 on: 03 March 2023, 13:52:18 »
The Isle of Skye is gone, gobbled up by the Falcons and Crusader Wolves though a few worlds on the Lyran border might have been free.

According to the 3152 map on page 85 in DD, the Isle of Skye is still there.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #289 on: 03 March 2023, 14:04:04 »
Already been done, was actually the introduction to his character.

Yeah. Getting caught by Anastasia. Whatever good that did him was gone by HotW. He was a self centered, arrogant human who believes he has no equals in existence. Even Stone wasn’t that bad.

The Isle of Skye is gone, gobbled up by the Falcons and Crusader Wolves though a few worlds on the Lyran border might have been free.  Galatean League had gotten pounded and is probably defunct b/c Hansen's Roughriders were inside the Fortress training RAF and then defending Terra before they got out to the FedSuns with the Hansen we saw in Patriot's Stand being the new CO and a noble.
I’d agree on Skye, and even Galatea if not for the DD maps having Skye in it. It also had an unidentified border seen in the very edge that matches up with where you’d expect Galatean league. So seems like there’s more to that story. Even if “more” is that they survive because they border punch drunk Lyrans and Wolves and nobody has the spare bodies to hit them.

Whatever is left of RotS was addressed at the end of ilClan already.

ilClan really just says Galatea is flooded with ex-RAF. So, everything is there for the RotS for CGL to comfortably say “that’s it.” Which would be underwhelming and frankly, insulting to the fans (few as they are) of the RotS. (Not that fans of various factions haven’t had insulting ends to their favorites before.) They could also do something significant with what’s left. The unaccounted for troops amount to a larger standing force than any periphery nation besides Ravens or Magistracy. Shit. Represent a potentially larger standing army than the Wolf Empire has by the end of EA. For it to just evaporate would come off like  CGL just saying they want RotS gone and don’t care how. Which, may be the case.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #290 on: 03 March 2023, 14:06:55 »
It also had an unidentified border seen in the very edge that matches up with where you’d expect Galatean league.

The color used in that unidentified little bit on the 3151 DD map does match the color of the Galatean League used on the Inner Sphere map in FM: 3145.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2023, 14:13:06 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #291 on: 03 March 2023, 14:11:34 »
It's not unidentified. That's the Isle of Skye. The color matches the IoS in the map key.

Unless you mean the 3151 map... that one is odd, and there's no identifying color.

Nah. You see the area labeled Isle of Sky. Then, just up and left of the word “Summer,” there’s a border behind idle of skye. It’s right up on the edge of the map where the border doesn’t pop out far enough to show a faction color. Like Skye forms a crescent moon shape territory.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #292 on: 03 March 2023, 14:14:22 »
Nah. You see the area labeled Isle of Sky. Then, just up and left of the word “Summer,” there’s a border behind idle of skye. It’s right up on the edge of the map where the border doesn’t pop out far enough to show a faction color. Like Skye forms a crescent moon shape territory.

That's the problem; we were looking at two different maps, LOL. That little border is very easy to miss, jeez!

So I just checked FM:3145, and it not only matches the right area of space, but the color used to denote the Galatean League in that book is the same color used in DD for the unidentified border, in the same spot as the 3152 map you're looking at, on the 3151 map in DD. Looks like the League is still up and running to me.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2023, 14:19:47 by tassa_kay »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #293 on: 03 March 2023, 15:06:08 »
Yeah. Getting caught by Anastasia. Whatever good that did him was gone by HotW. He was a self centered, arrogant human who believes he has no equals in existence. Even Stone wasn’t that bad.

You would think almost getting killed in Operation Nighthawk and then being bested by Tara would be enough to remind him to keep his ego in check. But nope next step is inciting a civil war within a Clan he asked to join and is then insulted that the result is not to his liking Which of course could also lead to his demise later on because no one said that he will be Ilkhan when the Star League is actually reborn (or whatever it will be called)

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #294 on: 03 March 2023, 15:33:47 »
You would think almost getting killed in Operation Nighthawk and then being bested by Tara would be enough to remind him to keep his ego in check. But nope next step is inciting a civil war within a Clan he asked to join and is then insulted that the result is not to his liking Which of course could also lead to his demise later on because no one said that he will be Ilkhan when the Star League is actually reborn (or whatever it will be called)

Why would his ego be in check right now? Alaric literally just fulfilled prophecy as far as the Clans go. He's basically a messiah figure. If anything, I expect his ego to be out of control right now.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #295 on: 03 March 2023, 15:50:34 »
Yeah . . . let's see James McKenna, Aleksandr Kerensky, maybe Jerome Blake, not sure you could say Arian in '57, definitely Stone . . . and now Alaric.  We are talking a VERY select group . . . 3 other men for sure, 2 with asterisks.  Kind of hard NOT to be cocky . . . since the proof is in the pudding, and he DID deliver.
Colt Ward

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #296 on: 03 March 2023, 21:16:17 »

Now rereading the new sourcebooks Lyrans on the Wolf Empire territory have had little mention especially the anti-Falcon resistance movement. 

If there was more information about it I would appreciate the correction.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #297 on: 03 March 2023, 22:30:48 »
Lyrans are in Tamar Rising, when they impact the FWL/Wolf Empire book they were mentioned.
Colt Ward

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #298 on: 04 March 2023, 03:24:12 »
Why would his ego be in check right now? Alaric literally just fulfilled prophecy as far as the Clans go. He's basically a messiah figure. If anything, I expect his ego to be out of control right now.

I don't know Alaric gives me Nicolas Kerensky vibes and we all know how he ended: killed while he tried to intervene in a Mech duel. He basically died as a glorified referee. Might as well be the change once the new Star League is in place.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #299 on: 07 March 2023, 17:09:15 »
Bit of a topic throwback, looking for some opinions on this sort of thing-

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/gargoyle-tc-what-do-you-build/

What would be your Gargoyle TC build?
Colt Ward