Author Topic: Moon defense bases  (Read 7909 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Moon defense bases
« on: 29 April 2019, 15:41:16 »
One of the original BT books, the 2nd GDL novel IIRC, has a moon base where the DC Navy places their patrol small craft/DS, defending ASF and I believe they had some weapons . . .

Does the weapon ranges of intro weapons really support a moon providing a defensive shield for a planet?  or at least most of one?

Does the introduction of subcap or the re-introduction of capital scale weapons make it more feasible/desirable?

Would it matter if it was a moon like Luna or Phobos/Deimos?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Re: Moon defense bases
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2019, 15:51:59 »
One of the original BT books, the 2nd GDL novel IIRC, has a moon base where the DC Navy places their patrol small craft/DS, defending ASF and I believe they had some weapons . . .

Does the weapon ranges of intro weapons really support a moon providing a defensive shield for a planet?  or at least most of one?

Does the introduction of subcap or the re-introduction of capital scale weapons make it more feasible/desirable?

Would it matter if it was a moon like Luna or Phobos/Deimos?

Maybe. Naval weapon ranges won't reach from Earth's moon to Earth, although a Capital Missile might be able to cross the distance and hit a target. Might take more than a few turns, though, even with magic Battletech fusion drives.

Technically, if you are on the dark side of Earth's moon, and a spaceship is in geostationary orbit above you, Earth's moon could be said to be 'shielding' the Earth from the spaceship.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2019, 15:56:09 »
I think the "defensive shield" is more the fighters and other craft (and possibly any active sensors), rather than the weapons intended to protect the refueling and repair bays.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2019, 15:56:46 »
Was it really a base for SDS weaponry though?

Well, I guess it could be a left over SLDF era base that did have some.

But mostly I thought it was just an air field for early interdiction
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2019, 15:57:29 »
Under current rules, capital hexes are 18km across, and the longest-ranged weapons (aside from missiles) are 56 hexes at extreme, if you use the variable range optional rule. 18*56 = 1008 km max range. So for most practical moons, there isn't nearly enough range to defend the planet with ballistic/energy weapons. Units capable of independent maneuvering(ASF, capital missiles in bearings-only mode, etc.) can guide themselves to a target, so they're not limited by that range cap, but any direct-fire weapons are. Even a moon like Phobos is not nearly close enough - it's got an orbital radius of over 9000 km, and even if you measure surface-to-surface (instead of center-to-center), it's still about 6000 km.

My impression is that the first batch of rules, back in the 80s, used much larger hexes - big enough that moons or maybe even planets could fit into a single hex. Under those rules, the ranges ought to be sufficient to use moons to protect planets. But under StratOps, no. That said, using capital weapons to protect the moon base itself would still be a thing.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2019, 16:15:47 »
There have been cases when a faction on a moon used mass drivers to bombard the planet into submission.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2019, 16:29:09 »
There have been cases when a faction on a moon used mass drivers to bombard the planet into submission.

Not talking about Adam Selene's efforts.

BUT . . . does that range given include mass drivers?  Then you also get into using the gravity well your sitting above to slingshot projectiles at oncoming fleets . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2019, 16:42:38 »
Not talking about Adam Selene's efforts.

BUT . . . does that range given include mass drivers?  Then you also get into using the gravity well your sitting above to slingshot projectiles at oncoming fleets . . .

Mass drivers have ranges of 32-40 hexes at extreme, so yes, they're included. (Nobody said that the rules needed to make any sense)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2019, 16:55:01 »
Well, there is a difference between maximum and effective ranges- so it makes some sense.
Colt Ward

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2019, 17:16:44 »
Well, there is a difference between maximum and effective ranges- so it makes some sense.

They already get a +2 to hit as-is, and with another +6 to hit they're already beyond their effective range even at extreme. It'd be pretty rare for them to hit even at long range, unless they're shooting a city that can't dodge.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2019, 17:31:51 »
Bearing only launched naval missiles can cover a pretty huge distance.

Absent of those, however, I'd say it would be the ships you base out of it that would be the outpost's real value.

And I suppose if you want to be technical, other naval projectiles don't just stop when they reach their maximum range, but I'd say you wouldn't have any luck targeting a ship accurately. At best they'd be useful for indiscriminate (effectively unaimed) bombardment of a planet. Maybe... maybe they could be used in a surprise attack against an unsuspecting target.

Like you could potshot a station from the other side of the system, if you knew the gravity wells of the system well enough and the station didn't know it was coming (the station's got enough thrust that it can move around enough to spoil your aim if it has warning). This could apply for any other stationary target in space, probably with very little chance of deflection by errant particles or objects. Targets on ground I'm not so sure of. Atmospheric effects might not be sufficiently well understood to plot an accurate shot.

Personal headcannon notes, I assume the range bands exist because ships in combat are constantly making small adjustments to their course to throw off their opponents. Something like full evasive movement, but not quite as extreme.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2019, 18:09:08 »
My impression is that the first batch of rules, back in the 80s, used much larger hexes - big enough that moons or maybe even planets could fit into a single hex. Under those rules, the ranges ought to be sufficient to use moons to protect planets. But under StratOps, no. That said, using capital weapons to protect the moon base itself would still be a thing.

AT1 has 6500km (seriously...) hexes. The required accelerations for the math to work turn crews into jelly.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2019, 22:15:07 »
AT1 has 6500km (seriously...) hexes. The required accelerations for the math to work turn crews into jelly.

It works well enough if you have half-hour turns. (Using the 0.5g = 1 thrust rule, a ship exerting 1 thrust will move 7,938 km in one turn, and be moving at 15,876 km/turn thereafter. But we can round that off.) But of course, half an hour per turn seems really low for weapon rate of fire, as well as being strongly out of step with ASF-scale combat.

I might want to make turns 2-3 minutes long(and expand hexes by a factor of 4-9 as a result), but any more would start to get silly.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2019, 04:17:03 »
It works well enough if you have half-hour turns. (Using the 0.5g = 1 thrust rule, a ship exerting 1 thrust will move 7,938 km in one turn, and be moving at 15,876 km/turn thereafter. But we can round that off.) But of course, half an hour per turn seems really low for weapon rate of fire, as well as being strongly out of step with ASF-scale combat.

I might want to make turns 2-3 minutes long(and expand hexes by a factor of 4-9 as a result), but any more would start to get silly.

Yeah, but they're explicitly 60-second turns. AT1 is silly.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2019, 04:27:17 »
IIRC turns in AT1 were 10 seconds? Battlespace might have changed that?

Anyway yeah, AT1 movement rules were beyond silly... :D

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #15 on: 30 April 2019, 04:49:59 »
And the AT1 mechanics were used by the authors to inform character dialogue in the early novels (Decision at Thunder Rift and The Sword and the Dagger in particular), leading to claims that sound wildly hyperbolic under later rule sets, such as Renfred Tor's claim that his JumpShip's laser array could burn a DropShip out of space from 10,000 kilometers away.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 30 April 2019, 05:39:06 »
If you want to Defend w/o capital and sub capital weapons . Environmentally sealed Gun Emplacemets . Light Gauss for something in the Extented Range Bracket . Silver Bullet Gauss Firing in Flack mode with anti air Fire control like a Rifle Man and Arrow IV Standard rounds in flack mode until you get ADA arrow IV . Use Fortress Construction rules for the actual moon base facilities and you want to use Capital Missiles and sub capital weapons .

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2019, 09:21:34 »
I would think a Moon base would be utilized as a quick response force with inbound intruders.

Base's defenses itself would i think, be regulated by era.  Would Arrow Missiles be usable as space defense system?  In 3060s, the anti-ship missiles become a thing, but their poorman's capital weapon.  However, it's kinda limited in Succession Wars Era. 

Its more useful than having no space station since Succession Wars didn't allow for many space stations, so your stuck with a DropShip in orbit providing platform for fights.

Bases be also a nice way launch reinforcements, a unsuspecting raider wouldn't be expecting too.
« Last Edit: 30 April 2019, 13:06:07 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2019, 10:18:02 »
Moons are basically indestructible fighter carriers. Even a moderately long-legged fighter can cycle between low planetary orbit and cislunar orbit in a couple hours, which gives a defender with a moonbase a huge advantage in maintaining control over the airspace. You can start harassing incoming invaders earlier and keep doing it longer than point-intercept sorties from the surface will allow. And to shut down the launching facilities an attacker has to divert precious ground troops away from the main invasion, opening up a vulnerable second front.

Direct-fire weapons on moonbases are pretty pointless except for protecting the "airfield" itself.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2019, 11:26:55 »
Airless moons may be a good place for damaged craft to recover, as it avoids problems with re-entry.  A fighter carrier DropShip would be ideal for fighters and small craft, but those may not be available, and there's the DropShips themselves.

If they are buried that could also provide some defense against kinetic ballistic attack.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2019, 21:45:38 »
The airless moon also makes it hard for people to sneak up on the base.  The local planet kinda didn't like the Draconis troops, so as long as the DCMS troops control access to the moonbase, you have a location where the troops can relax knowing that nobody will try to stab them while they are sleeping.

Add in very large and sensitive instruments (that won't get destroyed by a home-made mortar) to watch the planet and the jump points, and it would be a decent location.  You just have to pay attention to air flow, keep the emergency doors clear of obstructions, etc.  But that is all part of any vacuum-located facility.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #21 on: 05 May 2019, 09:33:09 »
Airless moons aren't necessarily barren rock, either. There should be plenty of Europa-style iceballs with subsurface oceans which could provide limitless supplies of water, oxygen, and even food. With fusion power it'd be an easy matter to melt giant caves kilometers deep into the ice and fill them with inflatable habitat structures capable of supporting large base populations and big hangars airlocked to the surface through tunnels.

That would be a difficult nut even for a WarShip to crack, let alone Succession Wars-era space fleets.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2019, 11:49:11 »
after the rules change, references to weapons on the Verthandi Alpha moon base probably  would retcon to refer to standard scale defensive gun emplacements meant to protect the base from ASF attack. which in context of the dialog would basically just be a way to establish it is a proper military base, not some improvised field base.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 2019, 14:27:13 »
Don't know, if you can orbit a golf ball on our moon with a swing, I assume the escape velocity of a Naval Gauss rifle is sufficient to at least hit the earth, through not in any particular place.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 06 May 2019, 14:32:48 »
Don't know, if you can orbit a golf ball on our moon with a swing, I assume the escape velocity of a Naval Gauss rifle is sufficient to at least hit the earth, through not in any particular place.

The muzzle velocity of a naval gauss is probably sufficient to beat escape velocity for Earth, never mind the moon.  ;D
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2019, 17:34:19 »

Point of fact, the golf ball only probably flew a few hundred yards. It's still there in the same crater. A perfect swing might have gotten it to travel a couple of miles, but the odds of making such a shot one-handed while wearing spacesuit gloves are remote to say the least.

But basically any capital projectile weapon fired within a system is a long-term navigation hazard. I figure NAC shells and maybe even NGauss projectiles have a self-destruct mechanism keyed to their effective range.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2019, 17:37:17 »
Point of fact, the golf ball only probably flew a few hundred yards. It's still there in the same crater. A perfect swing might have gotten it to travel a couple of miles, but the odds of making such a shot one-handed while wearing spacesuit gloves are remote to say the least.

But basically any capital projectile weapon fired within a system is a long-term navigation hazard. I figure NAC shells and maybe even NGauss projectiles have a self-destruct mechanism keyed to their effective range.

Probably not - self-destructing just turns one fragment into many, which is even worse.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #27 on: 06 May 2019, 17:48:58 »
Probably not - self-destructing just turns one fragment into many, which is even worse.

But crucially, tiny fragments that ships' existing anti-meteoroid defenses can deal with and which will quickly de-orbit if trapped around a planet with an atmosphere.

While the chance of being hit by a single Volkswagen-sized shell is low, the consequences are dire.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 06 May 2019, 18:07:43 »
Guns fired in orbit aren't going to stay in orbit. They'll either head on their merry way out of the system (seriously, the muzzle velocity of any naval gun grossly exceeds escape velocity, it has to for any projectile but a missile with its own guidance system to have any chance of hitting another target at the range naval battles can take place at) or they'll hit the planet where the fighting is taking place.

If it flies out of orbit, space is simply too big for it to be a navigational hazard. It will hit something eventually, but the odds of that being another spacecraft are probably about as close to zero as you can achieve. If it hits the ground, well, that is a problem, but not a navigational hazard.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #29 on: 07 May 2019, 07:43:32 »
I could see those bases using old school smallcraft used for Escort from the surface like the Aquarius and the Lioness or even the Intrepid ships be used chase down would be attackers when Aerospace fighters aren't available.

I guess Battletech never intended to have Surface to Orbit weaponry or satellite defense systems due to the original setting for the Succession Wars Era was low tech.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki