Author Topic: Would you rate our warship squadron?  (Read 1650 times)

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
Would you rate our warship squadron?
« on: 22 June 2019, 15:33:39 »
Hey guys... we are about to start a campaign in 2750 as a special forces rimworld korps. its gonna be a weird campaign. our storyteller likes big numbers. 

so after a long discussion i settled to the following squadron composition with him. i could understand the pintos he added... but i wasnt too happy with the samarkand (its too kurita-specific imho) and the concordat (sure, it maybe a decent ship but it doesnt really fit the rimmies!

1 Dart-Class Light cruiser
1 Quixote-Class frigate
1 Concordate-Class frigate
1 Samarkand-Class carrier (block I)
2 Pinto-Class corvette

theres one big caveat though... all those ships carry 108 fighters in total. and thats our whole attachment of the korps. no additional vengeance or lees or titans. which worries me alot. given how overpowered those sldf-warship squadrons are. but well, even a rear admiral doesnt get all that he wants.

i understand very little about space fights. but i would split the sqadron at the beginning of a battle. the samarkand and the quixote taking one "flank". the missiles of the quixote can help the samarkand against enemy fighters. the second battle group would be  the two revolvers. dart and concordate combining frontal fire on enemies. and the pintos more or less hiding and sniping as thrid battle group.

what you guys think? any other advice for me poor admiral who has to use THIS to go up against squadrons of mckennas :O

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Would you rate our warship squadron?
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2019, 15:49:45 »
I don't know if there would even be a Block I samarkand available. The Combine didn't build very many of them, and they only built them for themselves.

The concordat is also iffy. The Taurians did build them for other powers if I recall correctly, but I don't think any of those exports made it out of the reunification war.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2019, 15:55:40 »
I don't know if there would even be a Block I samarkand available. The Combine didn't build very many of them, and they only built them for themselves.

The concordat is also iffy. The Taurians did build them for other powers if I recall correctly, but I don't think any of those exports made it out of the reunification war.

both of them were basically forced on me by the sl. :( he even wanted to give TWO samarkands...

while i advised for a naga and a vincent

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2019, 16:55:47 »
It means you have an easier time pretending to be Kurita and Taurian, or have those ships chasing you and 'barely hitting' whatever ship you are on.

Still, hope you have some way to fake IFFs, or operate in areas where IFF checks are rare.  It is one thing to have a Samarkand over a Periphery and claim you are loyal Kuritan forces that they have never heard of and have only rare Jumpships to carry messages back and forth.  It is completely different if you are in Draconis space and claim to be Kurita forces, when the governor can call down to the local spaceport and verify with their databases.

For use against a squadron of McKennas?  I'd suggest running away.  Thy can figure out where you came from based on KF emergence wave, but cannot figure out where you are going if you jump.  So have deep-space coordinates set up, and make sure you travel enough of a distance that it looks like you came from a nearby star ~25 light years away, when in reality you had a deep-space rendezvous 25 light-years away.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2019, 15:36:50 »

For use against a squadron of McKennas?  I'd suggest running away.  Thy can figure out where you came from based on KF emergence wave, but cannot figure out where you are going if you jump.  So have deep-space coordinates set up, and make sure you travel enough of a distance that it looks like you came from a nearby star ~25 light years away, when in reality you had a deep-space rendezvous 25 light-years away.

For use against McKennas, Fire ships, Load a Jumbo up with Extra Nose armor, and lots of HighEX. 6 McKennas with 96 Assaultshuttles, 300 ASFs and 36 Droppers, will eat your RWR Naval Squadron alive, might last 2-3 rounds, assuming you are not packing nukes, but using nukes would bring a whole SL Fleet down on your head. 

Might want to use it to raid House worlds though, won't have near the worry of a fleet of 20-30 warships showing up, unless you are hitting a capital or somewhere like Hesperus. Plus you could have fun hitting Lyran or Fedsuns worlds with a Kurita Samarkand just to cause confusion. Or the Fedsuns with the Taurian ships, or the CapCon or FWL with the Concordant. Using any of those ships in those places will send intelligence agencies into a frenzy, maybe even cause troops to be moved and borders defended, making other system relatively poorly defended. To get your Kommando Stuff done in relative safety.

If I was using that squadron, I would always be somewhere the Star League wasn't, or going after poorly defended supply columns. I would also prefer that the squadron if able, be fitted with LFB. You are going to be hitting and running, you don't want to wait a week for the sail to recharge if a fleet shows up. I would also want the best Star Charts money could buy, beg, borrow, or steal. I'd be doing a lot of void jumping and pirate jumps.