Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: BZK-D* Hollander III  (Read 5458 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: BZK-D* Hollander III
« on: 06 February 2015, 00:55:32 »
’Mech of the Week: BZK-D* Hollander III

Hollander III. Third and (so far) last of the Hollander series. At 35 tons, it returns to the weight of the originator. Slightly more capable than its forebears.

Though not by much…

The Hollander III is profiled in the Davion section of Technical Readout: 3145.

In the sixty years since the arrival of the first Hollander in 3054, the Inner Sphere has experienced many upheavals. Through it all, it appears the Hollander has been popular with some House forces, and with mercenaries. The Hollander II arrived in 3058, though its popularity is a bit hazier. In 3114, General Motors of Kathil offered a new BattleMech based on the Hollander to the AFFS, who quickly snapped it up.

Built around the same BZK-III endo-steel skeleton as the original Hollander, the BZK-D1 Hollander III uses a GM 175-rated extralight engine, giving it ground speeds equivalent to its forebear. A supercharger gives the design momentary extra boosts of speed. A compact gyroscope saves some space. Six tons of laser reflective armor give the design 80% of maximum protection, laid out in a 9, 15/4, 12/3, 7, 12 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs respectively). Ten double-strength heat sinks are more than adequate for the heat output. The lone weapon on this machine is a right torso-mounted Class-10 Ultra autocannon fed by three tons of ammunition placed in the center torso, which is protected by CASE II (which just might let the machine survive an ammo bin hit or two).

The Hollander III was issued to commands in the Capellan and Periphery Marches. It is not noted why the Draconis March was left out, but maybe it was a matter of preference of those commands. Interest from the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces lead to the creation of the BZK-D2 model in 3115. This model swaps the Class-10 autocannon, CASE II, and a ton of armor for a Gauss Rifle fed by three tons of ammunition. The armor is now configured in a 9, 12/3, 10/3, 5, 10 pattern.

When mercenary commands came calling, a final variant was created in 3118. The BZK-D3 starts by upgrading the -D1’s engine to a 210-rated model, giving it normal ground speeds equivalent to the venerable Firestarter, and short bursts equivalent to the Spider. The autocannon is replaced by an extended-model Particle Cannon, two medium lasers and one small laser tied to a targeting computer. An Angel-class ECM suite rounds out the compliment.

Using one is a simple enough. All three have long-range weaponry, so get into position and shell your foes. The -D3 allows for easier mixing it up in-close, but I would only suggest doing so against other light foes. I’m not sure who exactly had the bright idea of using a company of Hollander IIIs as an anvil without realizing they were outnumbered and outclassed, but that is not the way to go. The first two variants are extremely heat-efficient. The first can take two engine hits, Alpha Strike and run without overheating, and the second, well… could take the heat from three engine hits, if they didn’t immediately shut down. Use the supercharger to get into position, as well as get away after taking too many hits or running out of ammunition (or more likely with the first variant, jamming that gun).

Fighting one is also relatively simple. It’s a light BattleMech, and one that isn’t all that fast. So hitting him should be easier than, say, a Locust. If you can force or trick him into overusing his supercharger, do so. And if he’s using the first variant, getting him to jam his weapon works too.  (You would be surprised how overzealous some get in the heat of battle.) Heavy weapons, pulse weapons, and targeting computers help. On the subject of targeting, the center torso works best for the first and third variants (ammo in the first, engines in both), and the right torso in the second (the Gauss Rifle).

With the Hollander III being used by the Feddies, the Lyrans, and mercenaries, they likely can be found across the Inner Sphere. I’m not sure if the Capellans would have taken any as salvage, based on how much disdain they seem to have. And when a realm is on the ropes like the Davions are, sometimes machines get thrown into battles they should not be in.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: ’Mech of the Week: BZK-D* Hollander III
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2015, 01:15:13 »
Even over the course of 15 rounds of sustained double taps, the Hollander III only has a less than 35% chance to jam its weapon.  Over the course of a more general length engagement, or with ranges such that the 'Mech won't be firing or double tapping every turn, you're looking at sub 30% chances.

Will it happen every once in a while?   Yes.  But you don't build your game plan around hoping that somebody gets a 10 at the right moment, and the odds are about the same.  You'd probably be equally surprised how infrequent UAC jams are in combat compared to how much people like to complain about it.  The Ultra 10, in particular, is a sorely underrated gun on account of how it dishes out 20 damage at 18 hexes for less heat and tonnage than a AC/20 even while double tapping.

All that out of the way, the Hollander III is a pretty solid guy.  Reflective armor means that the most common Light 'Mech killers (pulse lasers and ER PPCs) are significantly less effective, though LB-10Xs and Gauss Rifles will still do nasty things to your armor.  Stay way the hell out of physical range.  The Supercharger is for getting from cover to cover, not for covering distance or outmaneuvering an enemy at short range.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2015, 01:45:49 »
Solid take on the Hollander design. The Ultra AC/10 fit the Hollander well and it's still a decent Gauss platform.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2015, 03:22:09 »
The Hollander III was based on unused MWDA concept art by Brett Evans. Sadly, I don't have a copy of the pic, and it's no longer online
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2015, 11:14:38 »
Even over the course of 15 rounds of sustained double taps, the Hollander III only has a less than 35% chance to jam its weapon.  Over the course of a more general length engagement, or with ranges such that the 'Mech won't be firing or double tapping every turn, you're looking at sub 30% chances.

Do note, my caution against jamming may have something to do with how frequently my group tended to do so... Like every time we used a machine that could...

Snake eyes tended to come up way too often in that case. (And according to my foes, sometimes a bit often in location rolls.)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2015, 12:41:49 »
For some reason, i assume JadeHellbringer will not use the D1 model.

On paper, i like the D1 model a lot (the rest are boring). It is fun. I like Ultra ACs, punching above their class is fun feature, a bit like they have a critical hit chance... High risk, high reward.

Of course, the greatest thing is the art, David White's rendition is so nice.
Though i wonder what that lens above the gun is. A sensor? Or perhaps it was originally going to be a laser or TAG (strip out the supercharger and you can fit a small laser or (for mixed tech version) Light TAG there)?
I do wonder where the other arm is. Probably just behind the mech... does look a bit odd still.

Does this have a miniature yet?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2015, 12:46:32 »

Yes.  I rather like it too.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2015, 13:32:12 »
Wait a minute, it has no right arm at all?
Oh. It has no space for that. Well then.

Yeah, looks cool.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2015, 16:55:18 »
Yup.

It's a nice machine in some ways.  It's a generic trooper to me, which is fine. Gauss Rifle version properly more to my taste, while having ER PPC version is better if you are merc. No ammo worries, but be careful of the ballistic weapons.

Speed properly the biggest problem aside from playing dodge'em games due to the nature of the 'mech's armor.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2015, 17:45:54 »
Nice mini, I think it is interesting it is a old Pack Hunter clone now.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2015, 18:50:37 »
I would personally mix and match Hollander III's to provide a decent ranged combo. Maybe one D2 and one D3 or two of each for a full lance. Maybe even one D1 to change things up. The D1 is definitely different and not in a bad way but I don't like it personally due to the gun jamming(there goes all your firepower...) and also having to get in a bit closer to use your main gun. As a sniper platform, I wouldn't have minded seeing a light gauss rifle instead of the Ultra-10.
Made by HikageMaru

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2015, 19:15:05 »
I absolutely love the Hollander III......
My favorite lance consists of 1 Blade XL, 1 Blade XX, 1 Hollander III D3, and a second Hollander III, usually another D3, but sometimes a D1 or D2, depending on what I am expecting to face.

I use this lance to hunt vehicles, and single mechs, that get isolated from their peers..... it's designed for a quick maul and run method of comflict.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2015, 10:00:30 »
I am kinda disappointed by the lack of an RAC config.
Maybe a prototype with a clan version?  ;)
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2015, 10:52:47 »
The Hollander III was based on unused MWDA concept art by Brett Evans. Sadly, I don't have a copy of the pic, and it's no longer online
I have spoken.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2015, 12:07:17 »
This is definitely an upgrade over the old Hollander and I really like how it looks, although I am most inclined to use the D3 because that ERPPC will not draw the same kind of attention the Rifle will.  The D1 is also interesting, although it has to get a bit closer to the enemy than I would like for something like this.  Of course, people do seem to have a bit of a blind spot toward UACs because they are expecting them to jam and it is not a headcapper so it is probably more functional than the D2 fire magnet.

Hm, I just had an interesting thought.  You could make a decent IIC out of the Hollander by using the lighter Clan Gauss Rifle to make room for max FL armor.  The firepower of the rifle is much less noteworthy in Clan space so that will save it some unwanted attention and the FL brings the protection up enough to give it a respectable balance between damage output and durability.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2015, 12:32:37 »
Hmm, wonder why there's no Heavy PPC variant for mercs. Easy-logistics heavy hitter. Should probably carry standard armor though, to make armor replacement cheap.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2015, 14:06:13 »
Its finding the other 3 tons on a light 35t frame that is already giving a lot for the engine.  Traditionally the Hollanders are under-armored.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 07 February 2015, 15:48:31 »
Why do I see the Hollander series as infantry support guns rather than a 'real' Mech? I just can't shake that feeling.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2015, 18:15:36 »
Its finding the other 3 tons on a light 35t frame that is already giving a lot for the engine.  Traditionally the Hollanders are under-armored.

Not really... you just fit a HPPC on it instead of that Ultra AC/10, its ammo and CASE II. Heck, there's free tonnage afterwards. Some tonnage might go for extra armor.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2015, 18:49:37 »
Yeah, but is that variant using SHS or DHS?
Colt Ward

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 07 February 2015, 20:48:52 »
I think they're all using DHS.
The Merc version with the ER PPC is faster, though.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Register