Author Topic: Infantry Bullet Shields?  (Read 1820 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Infantry Bullet Shields?
« on: 12 June 2019, 19:30:14 »
So I was flipping through HB:House Kurita again (and marveling at just how many aerospace units there are in it), when I stumbled across the Heavy Riot Infantry 1. They're equipped with 20 Wakazashi O-12 shotguns and 8 Bullet shields.

For the life of me, I can't find the rules for Bullet Shields. I mean, I can find them listed in ATOW, but no clue or indication as to how they're used in TW play.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
Re: Infantry Bullet Shields?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2019, 23:14:51 »
Closest I can find is the Riot Shield in Lostech (page 50).

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2019, 23:26:06 »
There's no rules for infantry helmets either.  At TW scale play I would think that the scale of weapons would make those shields as effective as Kleenex boxes.  Maybe a buff to the damage divisor if they're not already using 2-rated armor?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2019, 04:06:41 »
If they can be argued to cover the torso, then they might affect the divisor calculation (if the base armor they're wearing is high enough).

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2019, 18:15:58 »
Closest I can find is the Riot Shield in Lostech (page 50).

The Bullet shield is in ATOW, but not the infantry rules for it. It provides Full cover when crouched, with a Barrier Integrity of 8.

There's no rules for infantry helmets either.  At TW scale play I would think that the scale of weapons would make those shields as effective as Kleenex boxes.  Maybe a buff to the damage divisor if they're not already using 2-rated armor?

If they can be argued to cover the torso, then they might affect the divisor calculation (if the base armor they're wearing is high enough).

Its a possibility I suppose. I'd have to look up and see what might come out of it with the Divisor calculator.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2019, 20:50:38 »
Depends on the energy output of weapons near the platoon, the infantry helmet will affect the shape of dinner

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2019, 16:46:30 »
The Bullet shield is in ATOW, but not the infantry rules for it. It provides Full cover when crouched, with a Barrier Integrity of 8.

Its a possibility I suppose. I'd have to look up and see what might come out of it with the Divisor calculator.

I imagine a possible approach would be that they increase the divisor (By 0.5 maybe? Or maybe by 1.0, but only against infantry scale weapons?) as long as the unit remains stationary, i.e. crouched behind the shields.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2019, 16:55:59 »
I certainly wouldn't say "only against infantry scale weapons".  If it provides that level of protection, it provides that level of protection regardless of source.  The "as long as the unit remains stationary" caveat should cover the variability in circumstances.

Register