Author Topic: Brown-water/Naval Infantry  (Read 979 times)

AlphaMirage

• Major
Brown-water/Naval Infantry
« on: 11 November 2023, 17:06:41 »
I was initially inspired by the Ghosts of Obeedah to come up with a river patrol boat armed with battle armor weapons. However, I think this is better abstracted and the most obvious comparison I could come up with is the difference between vehicles and different shades of 'medium' or 'heavy' infantry.

To that end I propose these units that will provide easy river troops for any scenario to operate alongside monitors and sea skimmers or storm the beaches in your own 'totally not D-Day' scenario.

Common Rules
Movement Restrictions - Can only travel along the surface of the water (including Water Depth 0 except the PT Boat) and are subject to all rules as a surface naval craft. Unless otherwise specified all Naval Infantry have a Ground MP of 1 and become either a Foot Infantry or Engineer unit like any other.

Special Units (All units follow the same rules as their standard types)
Motorized - Naval 'Motorized' units operate swift and silent personal or two man watercraft. Many adversaries have been caught by surprise due to sabotage or commando raids on their sensitive infrastructure from the water.
Speed on Surface MP 5 / Max Squad/Platoon Size - 6/18

Mechanized (Hydrofoil) Landing/Boarding Craft - Landing Craft are lightweight and somewhat flimsy vessels deployed from surface (or even submarine) vessels to transport soldiers and personnel to the shore as quickly as possible. They are the equivalent of 'wheeled' medium mechanized units and as such suffer from mobility penalties with more than one support weapon per squad. Speed on Surface MP 5 / Max Squad/Platoon Size - 10/30

Mechanized (Displacement) Patrol-boat - Patrol Boats are heavily armed but relatively slow vessels optimized for endurance and firepower over speed. Unlike their Tracked Mechanized counterparts they can accept 3 Support Weapons as long as the Squad Size can support them without suffering mobility penalties. Unfortunately due to their deeper draft they cannot pass through Water Depth 0 hexes. Speed on Surface MP 3 / Max Squad/Platoon Size - 10/20

Mechanized (Amphibious Tracked) AAV - Unlike other Naval Infantry troops these Mechanized units operate alongside or within an Amphibious Assault Vehicle. These large tracked vehicles are slow due to their hybrid propulsion system but like other Tracked Mechanized units can operate two squad support weapons without a mobility penalty. Speed on Surface/Ground MP 2 / Max Squad/Platoon Size - 10/20

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Brown-water/Naval Infantry
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2023, 19:06:14 »
What speed do your AAVs have on land? ???

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2023, 19:52:31 »
What speed do your AAVs have on land? ???

I forgot to put that in there but I wanted it to be the same. Seems AAVs are still just not very fast, but at least they can take you inland a bit to protect the beachhead.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2023, 20:37:52 »
I was thinking they'd be 3 on land, but 2 works.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2023, 00:57:06 »
By definition, the Prowler is a MBT to your AAV?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2023, 06:59:02 »
Its certainly that, or something like the Matilda, an old school infantry tank.

Register