Author Topic: Should we have spinal mount weapons besides Rail Guns?  (Read 16501 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Should we have spinal mount weapons besides Rail Guns?
« on: 14 August 2019, 12:26:00 »
Pretty simple question, for settings with ships designed like BTU's they tend to have spinal mount weapons.  Sure they have turret/broadside light/med/heavy weapons of a class, but then it steps up to a spinal mount to give a weapon a bit more room and protection along the keel though a restricted firing arc forward.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Should we have spinal mount weapons besides Rail Guns?
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2019, 14:46:35 »
I'm an old High Guard player, so the idea of spinal mounts is nothing I have problems with.

I'd say that they'd be the "next stage" technology in BT naval architecture. BT physics doesn't tend to go exotic like meson beams; while the maths is dodgy, the materials science is very much "yes, but more" of current physics. Plus the state of cybertechnology appears less advanced than current 'real world' - mainly in terms of miniaturisation.

Perhaps the Star League might have gotten there, had it not had that minor unpleasantness. Perhaps something based on HPG/Jump technology might have come along, rather than exotic particle weapons. But the current game future doesn't look great for that sort of R&D being prioritised.

Would make a great campaign hook. The Lyrans are working on a Capital Gauss spinal mount throwing doorknobs the size of dropships, the Capellans on WarShip Stealth, the Kuritans on a spinal Uber PPC mount that can carve the coordinator's face on a moon. the Feddies on the Rotary Capital Autocannon spinal mount, etc ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2019, 14:51:21 »
Yeah, my initial idea was that it would be buried along the core and you would look at something like a 1.2 modifier for damage but a 1.25 modifer for weight/crit/heat.  Harder to crit from the sides but easier from the nose?  Mostly I was thinking of Spinal NPPC.

Of course, I also wonder about such mounts for DS, both Spheriod & Aerodyne which would keep it in line with the post-Jihad paradigm shift.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2019, 15:11:48 »
Aaah, I miss RL:Leviathan for that reason.  Different sized spinal mounts to choose from depending on the class of the ship and building around that.  Even wanted to design a carrier with a spinal mount, because it was prohibited.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2019, 15:26:26 »
The Mass Driver is a ballistic Spinal Mount so that is covered, but I can see the value of a PPC variant.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2019, 16:09:59 »
The Mass Driver is also out of scale from the NAC & Naval Gauss though?
Colt Ward

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2019, 16:22:11 »
The Mass Driver is also out of scale from the NAC & Naval Gauss though?
Out of scale?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2019, 17:17:25 »
Wondering the same thing as MainGunnery… Mass Drivers exist, and are spinal mounts...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2019, 23:02:19 »
Hrm, rail guns was the wrong term- was thinking of something else.  But yeah, the Mass Drivers . . . we have a light/med/heavy mass driver IIRC, so they are not simply scaled up versions of a Heavy Naval Gauss but their own group of weapons.
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2019, 01:21:44 »
The Mass Driver is a ballistic Spinal Mount so that is covered, but I can see the value of a PPC variant.
macross or yamato?

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2019, 01:45:06 »
Hrm, rail guns was the wrong term- was thinking of something else.  But yeah, the Mass Drivers . . . we have a light/med/heavy mass driver IIRC, so they are not simply scaled up versions of a Heavy Naval Gauss but their own group of weapons.
I believe the mass drivers are fluffed as basically big, primitive versions of gauss rifles.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2019, 04:21:52 »
macross or yamato?
Macross of course.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2019, 05:52:14 »
How hard do you want your science?

The issue with spinal mounts is fine aiming. Nobody does a fixed forward firing weapon for a reason.

Next we have to ask how good our targeting systems are? I would have to say pretty awful. When I see a Mech based around one big weapon I think target because the odds are against me getting hit. I will literally turn my back on a Hunchback. That is how confident I am.

Then I am going to ask. Sure I can run a battleship scale spinal mount stem to stern, but can I run half a dozen destroyer scale spinal mounts port to starboard?

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #13 on: 15 August 2019, 09:54:07 »
I think we're asking the wrong questions.

What problem would an axial cannon solve that isn't already solved by the solutions that are available? I can't think of one.

Naval combat at WarShip scale is already a game of smashing eggs with sledgehammers. No WarShip design, unless deliberately under-gunned, can withstand its own broadside for more than a turn or two. Most of the canon ones are best off hiding at the extreme range bracket because they'll evaporate if engaged in close. There is no big, massively-armored target that needs a giant special weapon to crack it.

The only case where the axial mount makes sense is as a way to put direct-fire capital weapons on DropShips. DropShips actually have an argument for needing the range and single-shot firepower of a capital cannon, with the restriction of being limited to a single such weapon, and they don't have a KF drive to get in the way of installing it. And, being smaller, DropShips actually have the maneuverability needed to point the weapon at a target.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 15 August 2019, 10:11:11 »
It's simpler to house rule a nose only mounting for a singular Capital grade weapon based off tonnage then, rather than create a whole new weapon class, as capital class weapons are prohibited on dropships to begin with.  And I don't mean SubCaps.

The only case where the axial mount makes sense is as a way to put direct-fire capital weapons on DropShips. DropShips actually have an argument for needing the range and single-shot firepower of a capital cannon, with the restriction of being limited to a single such weapon, and they don't have a KF drive to get in the way of installing it. And, being smaller, DropShips actually have the maneuverability needed to point the weapon at a target.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 15 August 2019, 11:36:48 »
DS can mount capital missiles . . .

Good points The_Caveman . . . but while that applied to some warships, we have others that are a bit tougher depending on era.  For Jellico's points, I guess I need to play around with the Soyal to see how it works out.
Colt Ward

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 15 August 2019, 11:53:16 »
I knew there was an exception, forgot what it was.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #17 on: 15 August 2019, 11:58:22 »
while that applied to some warships, we have others that are a bit tougher depending on era

Only a few. Outside of the Leviathan super-battleships (of which there were only ever what, two?) there is nothing in canon that can't be threshed by a single 70 FF weapon bay. Even a Mjolnir's front armor is penetrable to a quad Heavy NPPC mount.

This is your other possible niche for axial cannons: getting around the arbitary 70 FF cap on the size of a single weapon bay without having to use a nuke. But there is so little in-universe that even merits having such a capability that I would classify it as a solution in search of a problem.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2019, 15:20:06 »
DS can mount capital missiles . . .

Good points The_Caveman . . . but while that applied to some warships, we have others that are a bit tougher depending on era.  For Jellico's points, I guess I need to play around with the Soyal to see how it works out.

Just for clarity I wasn't referring to the Soyal's mass driver. It has a number of rules that the spinal mount mafia would want removed.

If the thresholds don't get a heavily armoured ship the natural 12s will. When you draw fire like a capital ship 12s aren't rare any more.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2019, 20:20:54 »
Other than the "rule of cool", I'd imagine a spinal mount built into the hull would be lighter, cheaper, and less vulnerable than a turreted mount.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2019, 05:29:09 »
Think I seen a conjectural one wrote up by Adam Gratun one of the writer"s of the Jade Falcon Sourcebook . It seems that the Navel PPC has Damage : Heat : tonnge have  uniform ratios  along all examples so he disigned a PPC one .  Ask Herb Beas he might still have the submission ?

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 22 August 2019, 06:41:38 »
My thoughts exactly The Caveman.

Frankly, the rule against Dropships mounting full scale capital weapons is almost entirely game design fiat.
There's literally no justification for it. Or rather every excuse against it can easily countered by appropriate construction penalties. If recoil was an issue, add a minimum requirement for SI, for heat, add heatsinks, etc. Even the mass of these capital scale weapons isn't game breaking for the designs typically used as pocket warships.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 22 August 2019, 10:16:57 »
The Naval PPC is the Only Capital Energy Weapon that has an obvious solution for a Spinal Mount . No others do . It is Work to develop any game . Any and all arguments against doing so : none is as valid it ditracts from the ground pounding mech fights . If they introduce a spinal mount and it bug zaps drop ships before they land then they is no mech fight . Boring . Probably the reason it was not introduced sooner or at all .
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 18:27:08 by Col Toda »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 22 August 2019, 19:43:16 »
One alternate idea was a circular particle accelerator style NPPC, that would be a waist gun rather than spinal gun.  It also required the ship to maneuver to aim it at a target

Other than the "rule of cool", I'd imagine a spinal mount built into the hull would be lighter, cheaper, and less vulnerable than a turreted mount.

The argument about why BA weaponry is smaller than Mech weaponry would be useful.

BA weaponry is smaller because the whole platform (the BA) handles all the turning and aiming of the weapon, while a Mech has to include motors/myomers to maneuver the weapon

A similar rule for Spinal weaponry would be that you get the weapon at half mass, but have to spend thrust to aim the weapon at a target.  Plus some other limit to the number of targets the ship can engage each turn?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #24 on: 23 August 2019, 00:15:17 »
Think I seen a conjectural one wrote up by Adam Gratun one of the writer"s of the Jade Falcon Sourcebook . It seems that the Navel PPC has Damage : Heat : tonnge have  uniform ratios  along all examples so he disigned a PPC one .  Ask Herb Beas he might still have the submission ?

Nope. Never even heard of it.

- Herb

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #25 on: 23 August 2019, 05:45:41 »
The rules for large spacecraft in BT just don't have the proper sort of rock-paper-scissors relationship between armor, speed, and firepower to really justify the concept of one ship class being an impenetrable armored hulk while another is a glass cannon with a BFG that is the only weapon that can crack that armor.

Every combat ship in BT plays more or less the same. Axial cannons demand a much more dynamic relationship between ship categories. Otherwise they are destined to walk an extremely fine line between ridiculously overpowered and practically useless. Aside from "bigger is better" there is simply no payoff to using an axial cannon when a bunch of regular nose-mounted cannons would do the same job. But bigger would need to be much better, which would threaten to squeeze conventional weapons out.

If gameplay were substantially different, perhaps in the sense of "threshold hits are the only hits that matter", there might be an opening for huge single weapons that allow ships of smaller classes to punch vastly above their weight in exchange for all the restrictions of an axial mount.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #26 on: 23 August 2019, 13:27:52 »
My thoughts exactly The Caveman.

Frankly, the rule against Dropships mounting full scale capital weapons is almost entirely game design fiat.
There's literally no justification for it. Or rather every excuse against it can easily countered by appropriate construction penalties. If recoil was an issue, add a minimum requirement for SI, for heat, add heatsinks, etc. Even the mass of these capital scale weapons isn't game breaking for the designs typically used as pocket warships.

Easy enough  to explain away.

Test Bed Alpha 1 was a Smoke Jaguar experimental vessel. Based on an Overlord chassis, its main claim to fame was the Class 10 naval grade cannon around which it had been built.

Test firing of the system took place at the Test fire range at the Artemis asteroid cluster. The weapon successfully fired and hit its target, but the recoil of firing caused the DropShips internal structure to collapse and fold in on itself.

Faced with the Khan's wrath, the scientist team involved persuaded him to grant another chance. This time, the scientist team involved removed any chance of recoil by installing a light naval grade laser. This time, only 35% of the DropShips internal structure melted as it proved unable to cope with the thermal energies generated by the firing.  Indeed, later investigations showed that if the power links had not been severed by heat, the entire vessel would have been lost.

Fieros Folly, as the tests became known, were not a total loss. They proved that DropShips lacked both the mass to absorb the recoil of capital grade weapons, and the mass to act as a thermal sink. In doing so, the need for a spine to absorb and redistribute the energies involved throughout the entire vessel was proven.

However, you do speak truth. There is little real need to have such separate construction systems for similar vessels. In that, I do agree.

« Last Edit: 25 August 2019, 10:53:34 by Talen5000 »
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #27 on: 25 August 2019, 08:55:22 »
Could you throw 12 NL-55s together and call that a spinal laser?? 12 to keep it under the 70 pt threshold or more if you get around that rule.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #28 on: 25 August 2019, 09:02:29 »
It's better to break up the NLs into bays of four for maximum bracket firing and AAA mode benefits.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 25 August 2019, 12:31:45 »
the Feddies on the Rotary Capital Autocannon spinal mount, etc ;)

I really want this.

RNAC40 xp

Register