Author Topic: I don't really get the way the maintenance cycle works in Campaign Operations  (Read 2360 times)

Kilderkin

• Corporal
Just to add that certain key locations give the controlling force some bonuses. One of which is a free repair order. Which would cover either a defending or successful attackers post battle maintenance cycle.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
I know. I've asked myseld what really means a "free" repair order. It is pratically a way to "double" a repair cycle?

A free repair order means that I can repair my mechs AND I can give them another order all in a day (or whatever time frame a turn is)? Mah...
« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 13:40:03 by Mostro Joe »

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
No the two thing are clear. I see that each day there's a mant/rep cycle.

But pag. 191 IN THE SAME SECTION says at the second paragraph that maintenance must be done after every scenario, while in the last paragraph says that it must be done once per week while in the field and once every four weeks while on garrison.

Now, the question is: are they both true? Because it's not clear and I think that one of the two is a leftover from a previous draft of the rules.

If both are true, it means that maintenance during an active campaign must be done once per week AND after every scenario. So perhaps, in certain conditions, it must be done even, let's say, 2 or 3 times per week if the unit sees action during a particular week.

But that's unclear (as many other details of the chapter).

To me it sounds like it should read:

"Units that are not involved in combat are subject to a weekly maintenance session. Units involved in combat (even if undamaged) need to have a post-battle maintenance session to evaluate the equipment and make any repairs needed, even if they've already had their weekly maintenance session. This post-battle cycle also accounts for replacing things like snapped bolts, worn bearings, fluids (hydraulic oil, coolant, etc.), and other consumables."
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
To me it sounds like it should read:

"Units that are not involved in combat are subject to a weekly maintenance session. Units involved in combat (even if undamaged) need to have a post-battle maintenance session to evaluate the equipment and make any repairs needed, even if they've already had their weekly maintenance session. This post-battle cycle also accounts for replacing things like snapped bolts, worn bearings, fluids (hydraulic oil, coolant, etc.), and other consumables."

I absolutely agree here, thanks. This way it has a logic and, moreover, it's CLEAR.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
I know. I've asked myseld what really means a "free" repair order. It is pratically a way to "double" a repair cycle?

A free repair order means that I can repair my mechs AND I can give them another order all in a day (or whatever time frame a turn is)? Mah...
So the wording of free repair order comes, if I remember right, from some of the more abstract strategic system where you don't really track time and happens when you capture certain import objectives, like a repair facility.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
So the wording of free repair order comes, if I remember right, from some of the more abstract strategic system where you don't really track time and happens when you capture certain import objectives, like a repair facility.

You are perhaps talking about the Tactical Handbook of the first '90s. If that's true, it's clear that some text drafts are really floating by decades around CGL desks, without being really revised and amended.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
See page 154 of CO for what I'm talking about, that's got the only mentions of the term in CO.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
See page 154 of CO for what I'm talking about, that's got the only mentions of the term in CO.

Yes I knew that part. What I am saying Is that that part seems to be a derivative of the old tactical handbook of 1994.

I must find time to check

guardiandashi

• Major
my 2cents not having been in the military, but having some experience with other things.

I would go with the idea of:
if in garrison a full maintenance cycle is done monthly, with basic maintenance done weekly.

during combat operations a Full maintenance cycle is done weekly, and a minimum of a basic maintenance cycle needs to be done after every operation.

a basic maintenance cycle takes approximately 30 min + (insert weight modified time formula)

a full maintenance cycle takes approximately 8 hours + (insert weight modified time formula)

the basic maintenance cycle is mostly running and checking an automated test cycle, checking for red flags, and checking simple things, (compare it to a modern car where you turn it on and it runs the instrument cluster (P.O.S.T {Power On Self Test} )or equivalent, plus checking basics like tire pressure, and fluid levels)

Full Maintenance cycles are a much more involved checklist and diagnostic cycle, essentially like plugging in a ODB2 or diagnostic test rig and checking everything plus things like checking wear components (break pads, filters, etc. )

the salvage /repair order is likely like doing a full maintenance cycle to recover units IMO 1 unit per team dispatched.

in regards to the m4 sherman vs m1 abrams the m4 sherman may require effectively more maintenance per system, but the M1 Abrams has so many more and so much more complicated systems that it really needs a lot more maintenance

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Different avenue, which is abstract if you can get copy of the rules is found in ye olde FanPro rulesbook, Combat Operations.  This is only "known" source of the BattleTech Strategic Game / Inner Sphere in Flames (I get confused which is it's better known name.)

However, this won't help if you want try run a unit with getting nitty gritty down to the small details.  This is more nation running so of situation.   Abstract Combat Rules unfortunately have some issues trying run it, but more update one.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
The M1 Abrams is a perfect example of maintenance and upkeep.  Battltech's mechs and vehicles are the zenith of '70's and '80's technology.

This is why I like the old Mercs Handbook rules better.
Each vehicle requires a certain hour count (and incidental expenses) for general maintenance (44-60 for mechs, double for aerospace, 21-40 for tanks) per week. Then you add more for repairs.

. . .

I didn't have that one, but I have Merc. 2.  I just remember support-points and it was useful for giving the techie-players something to roll for.

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
Different avenue, which is abstract if you can get copy of the rules is found in ye olde FanPro rulesbook, Combat Operations.  This is only "known" source of the BattleTech Strategic Game / Inner Sphere in Flames (I get confused which is it's better known name.)

However, this won't help if you want try run a unit with getting nitty gritty down to the small details.  This is more nation running so of situation.   Abstract Combat Rules unfortunately have some issues trying run it, but more update one.

I Have combat operations.

In my opinion the best rules I have ever seen for mant/rep your force is in FM: Mercs, its two supplementals and the update (Yeah, even the rules on dependents!).

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
I would probably run the post battle repair cycle after the full engagement is done or if the unit is out of combat and has made it back to base.  Reason being, I've run some big games in various forms where smaller battles are strung together by minutes with forces running a bit of a gauntlet to achieve an objective. 

It would be rediculous to have to shut down operations because the rules demand a maintenance check right after one game when another force is a couple maps away and closing.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Register