Author Topic: Shrapnel 15 - Double your fun!  (Read 7329 times)

BaachicLitNerd

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
  • Tactical Shushing Action
Shrapnel 15 - Double your fun!
« on: 12 December 2023, 20:02:59 »
With the new Shrapnel out in the wild early as a holiday gift from Phil, here's the traditional space to say what stood out amongst the double length BattleTech goodness!

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
Re: Shrapnel 15 - Double your fun!
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2023, 20:53:03 »
To Jason Schmetzer: A simple thank you from this long time GDL fan.  Your use of an obscure vintage GDL story as the backdrop of an ilClan-era tale made me smile.   :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Critias

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2023, 03:46:25 »
Hat's off to Philip and John for editing six months of work in three months, and kudos to that cover artist, 'cause damn does he make the Hounds look cool.
This message brought to you by Mountain Wolf BattleMechs (tm).

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2023, 04:26:59 »
I also want to mention the artist who did the piece for my Silent Reapers story. Because that moment in the story is represented extremely well.

That being said: finally got my name on the cover  :smilie_happy_clapping: :drinking01: :smilie_happy_clapping: :smiley_star:
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2023, 05:33:45 »
You love to see it. My piece was super fun to write, so hope y'all have as much fun reading it! My only problem is deciding which story to read first.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2023, 06:22:32 »
Third part of Bryan's serial.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2023, 13:16:10 »
wait, did they really just retcon the Mauler as a capellan mech?
The Suns will shine again

Critias

• Freelance Writer
  • Private
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2023, 14:09:56 »
I'm not so sure it's a "retcon" so much as smoothing over some conflicting lore from conflicting sources: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Linesman
This message brought to you by Mountain Wolf BattleMechs (tm).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2023, 14:51:33 »
wait, did they really just retcon the Mauler as a capellan mech?

Note the full page illustration of a Mauler in the McCarron's Armored Cavalry scenario pack, which is dated 3044.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2023, 15:41:35 »
Third part of Bryan's serial.

Why thank you! This was such a fun serial to write.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2023, 17:04:56 »
Can someone share the Table of Contents?

Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2023, 17:12:52 »
Here you go

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #12 on: 13 December 2023, 17:43:01 »
This is awesome.
Such a great volume to be a part of... of course they all are.
And hey, someone threw me on the cover  :smiley_star:
I've been going through it. Fantastic work to all.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2023, 22:25:33 »
This issue has first of what I hope will be a set of stories for the Crescent Hawks in the Dark Age.

einherjarvalk

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2023, 00:02:36 »
My first piece of published fiction, Indomitable, is in this issue as well. Feels weird spending over 20 years as a fan of this franchise and suddenly finding myself on the cover of a published product, but it's a good kind of weird.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2023, 00:53:43 »
"Unit Digest: Blazing Aces"

Well crap, I guess I've gotta squeeze some more blood from the stone after all.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2023, 12:31:03 »
Here you go

Thank you so much! I wish this was on the websites where they were sold for every issue.
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #17 on: 14 December 2023, 14:12:03 »
Thank you so much! I wish this was on the websites where they were sold for every issue.

Usually there is a preview available where you can see the first few pages on Amazon.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #18 on: 14 December 2023, 14:52:53 »
Let's leave a few words about my story in there.

I started the Silent Reapers about 10 years ago when I pitched them to Ulisses Spiele for a German BT novel. From there, I had a rough idea where I'd like to take them and the first novel (released as an eBook serial before the full novel) was supposed to have a follow up. That never happened, because Ulisses suddenly stopped supporting Battletech and only did the barest minimum.
The Silent Reapers then sat around for a long time, unfinished and not canon, since the German novels aren't canon.
They finally got their first canon mention in TRO Irregulars and later in Shrapnel 8 with Tales from the Cracked Canopy: Silent Roar they had their first canon fiction debut. In the meantime I had also managed to pester John enough to sign off on me translating my German novel so it could be released by Catalyst and as actual canon (release is going to happen next year, if nothing happens).
Shrapnel 15 now finally gave me the chance to finish the story of these Silent Reapers more or less in the way I had always planned it (since the original plan was a second novel, the route to that finale was very different, also I am ten years more experienced by now). A few things are different from my original plan, but the basic idea remains the same.
And that makes me tremendously happy.
Ten. Freaking. Years!
And I am finally there.

And next year, you guys will be able to read the original novel (director's cut) and get the whole story of these Silent Reapers.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #19 on: 14 December 2023, 15:57:35 »
Your stuff was excellent, as always.  Looking forward to more.

Some notes on my articles:
- Planet Digest: Le Blanc - For the mercenary issue, I wanted to flesh out its role in the mercenary trade and in exploring its unusual decision to declare itself an open world.  It's an interesting alternative to Galatea and Outreach, for mercs interested in the FedSuns and Combine markets.  I recall being intrigued by Robert Charrette's portrayal in Heir to the Dragon, back in the day.

- Unit Digest: Lacadon Vengeance Legion - When the Second Succession War SB was being created, they asked fans to submit names to get canonized as merc units in that book.  This was my submission.  Now I can finally tell their story, moving them beyond just a name on a roster.  You want know why so many Capellan March worlds died during the Second Succession War?  These guys.

- Unit Digest: Outer Reaches Disciples - Looking all the way back to the Outer Reaches Rebellion, I wanted to mine the lore (thanks, XTRO Primitives!) to show what an interstellar mercenary unit - perhaps even the first interstellar mercenary unit - could have looked like.

- They Walk Alone: Mercenary Freelancers - Some helpful resources from Profiting from the Suffering of Others: A Ten Step Guide for mercs considering striking out as a mercenary on their own.  Gave me a chance to bring back the Mech-it-Lube from the Crescent Hawks' Inception.  Can mad genius Dr. Tellhim be far behind?

- Rainmaker - I'd wanted to do a follow-up to the Snord's Irregulars vs. Clan Hell's Horses clash I set up in Tamar Rising.  Lesson learned - don't press the big red button on the mysterious lostech device.  Imagine the randomized pylons and walls of Steiner Stadium...then add lightning.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #20 on: 14 December 2023, 16:19:59 »
Your stuff was excellent, as always.  Looking forward to more.

Thank you

Good background info on yours :) (haven't gotten around to reading your articles yet, so can't comment on them)

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 14 December 2023, 19:42:26 »
As sad as it sounds, I am extremely happy with just how much new info this issue has for my pet project over on Sarna (the family trees).

Thank you folks  :grin:

Also whilst I am here, are James Kirtley and Tom Leveen on these forums?
« Last Edit: 14 December 2023, 19:45:14 by Dmon »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 14 December 2023, 19:54:23 »
YES!!!

"Unit Digest: Blazing Aces"

Well crap, I guess I've gotta squeeze some more blood from the stone after all.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 14 December 2023, 20:53:14 »
What an amazing issue!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2023, 09:26:23 »
11 ways to ruin your mercenary unit was a fun read.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #25 on: 15 December 2023, 11:51:17 »
If we're talking writer's notes...

As soon as they added "double-sided mercenary issue of Shrapnel" to the Kickstarter, I immediately knew I was gonna pitch something about how mercs get paid in the Dark Age and beyond, which became Getting Paid in an Uncertain Age.  I submitted my pitch and immediately sat down to write it in a sprint of creativity.  So I'm glad the pitch got accepted and I didn't stay up to 1AM writing for nothing! The format of a vox pop quickly came out where you'd have different people talk about the advantages or disadvantages of each option, and it struck me that adding a framing device and a rant about the Sea Foxes would be a nice way to tie it to events in Dominions Divided and Riptides.  Amusingly I got feedback on the bit about stock options from two different people saying they didn't think stocks could work that way, but it was based on a personal experience with options I got in my last job when the company I work for.  The last of them hadn't vested by the time I quit five years later!

By comparison The Truth About The Bounty Hunter? was almost random, it came about from a discussion with some other freelancers and I mentioned something like "It'd be fun to do something where a bunch of people are talking about the Bounty Hunter's origin and the only thing they agree on is that he was never Vic Travers", and it kinda went from there.  Phil was in that chat and was a bit reluctant about the idea at first on account of possibly stepping on the toes of the Bounty Hunter anthology which is coming from the Kickstarter, but was more on-board when I said it'd be more conspiracy theory than anything factual. I didn't do any writing on it until the pitch was accepted though.  This one was a bit harder to do, the stuff I had in my mind filled out maybe half of the word count - having someone suggest things we know to be true from the novels, someone suggest the Hunter travels slower-than-light (shamelessly ripped off borrowed from Natural Selection where someone suggests the Red Corsair did it), and then suggesting he's a vampire... or Nicolas Cage.  I had the idea that as the discussion would go on that the reader should feel that this is a serious show only to discover it's the equivalent of ancient aliens by the end, and I added the person going on about cthonian urges to lean into that.  And then I was still 70 words below the limit and I threw a few more jokes and the oddball segments for the next show in at the end.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: 15 December 2023, 12:09:09 »
For my story, this was really a fun, key moment from Tamar Rising that I really wanted to bring to life. This strife between mercenaries and clan culture and the trial and everything was so fascinating to me. It was one of my key inspirations when I assembled the original idea for this story.

And the new cliffhanger... man... I really want Katie to learn so much and sort of have a reality check and I think she's getting there.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 16 December 2023, 13:22:24 »
I haven't quite finished reading through this issue, but I can't help but feel that the Second to None story should have a spoiler warning for those who have yet to play the HBS BattleTech game.

Yes, I know it's been a few years since the game was released, but not everyone who wishes to has had a chance to play it - or rather, has not owned a PC capable of running it since the time it was released.

For that same reason, I've not yet read the House Arano sourcebook: I only recently got a device capable of playing the game, and I planned to wait until after completing the story mode (if I can) before reading a book set in its aftermath.

This isn't intended to be a major criticism of the story itself, I should add - just a warning for anyone else who might be in a similar situation.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2023, 13:23:56 by Nerroth »

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #28 on: 16 December 2023, 21:48:44 »
While we're talking about our motivations for writing things, I wrote Raptor's Requiem solely to address a bit of errata. When I wrote the Spotlight On for the Crescent Hawks way back in like 2016, I created Jezebel Youngblood to be the new leader of the unit for the modern era. I wrote that every other Youngblood had been killed when the Jade Falcons invaded Arc-Royal in 3146, leaving her the last of her name. But...the print edition of TRO 3150 added a few new notable pilots that weren't in the PDFs, including one Jen Youngblood, working for the Kell Hounds and piloting a Hollander III. I missed this tidbit, and so did the fact checkers. Rather than errata the product, i thought I'd make a story out of it. So, seven years later...

But I'm most interested in how people react to the last scene of the story, which sets up the next part.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #29 on: 17 December 2023, 15:27:35 »
I want to know more about the Spector in The Alexandria Job. Has to be one of the last functioning ones in the IS in 3020, and it has a semi-functioning Guardian ECM. Seems like Patti could just sell it off and make more than 2 million C-bills, but of course the sentimental value is incalculable.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Register